Voice command: working or not working?

Old 03-31-2005, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Voice command: working or not working?

Hi all,

I want to find out what's your experience with Voice Command. Has anyone use it, try it, and anyone get it working 100%???? We tried really hard and no matter what we say, the answer is always 'pardon', 'can you repeat', or 'air conditioner' (even from a 'Find nearest chinese restaurant' command?!?!).

Jac
Old 03-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you need to speak clearly, don't mumble your words and leave clearly defined spaces inbetween your words. Once I learned that it worked 100% for me
Old 03-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Instructor

I have no clue on what's wrong (is it with me or with the microphone?)... I just spent 1 hr sitting in the car and tried... nothing works except 'Air conditioner' and I can count it works for twice only... Sometimes the system beep once, and sometimes it beeps 3 times. Do you know why it beeps 3 times?
Old 03-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Racer

I find that the voice commands work MUCH better if you speak normally, rather than slowly anunciating every syllable. Also, make sure you are using the commands with the correct screen. Most of the commands are not global.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:29 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Windows up?
Old 03-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Instructor

ya... windows up... turn off A/C... put on map/guidance screen... press Talk button... wait for beep then say 'Find nearest Chinese restaurant' (also try 'CD skip forward', 'Display ATM')... still give me 'pardon', 'can you repeat', or even 1 or 3 beeps. I'm pretty sure at least the 'Find nearest' command works on the map/guidance screen. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm start thinking that there's something wrong in the program that it only holds 'air conditioner' as the vocab in there and that's why won't recognize the rest. I can say that I might have accent... but my husband doesn't... and it doesn't work for him as well. Thinking of bringing it to the dealer to check this out.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by daniel1113
I find that the voice commands work MUCH better if you speak normally, rather than slowly anunciating every syllable. Also, make sure you are using the commands with the correct screen. Most of the commands are not global.
oh... and I've tried all 3 different level of voice tone... soft, natural, loud... all doesn't work.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Top notch 6MT

This reminds me of a member's sig of a "conversation" between him and the nav computer. Who has/had that sig? Can't find it now...

Good luck with your voice command jpooncanada. Can't help here as I got no Nav in mine.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Try separating the "commands" and the "variables."

Such as find nearest chinese

Say 'find nearest', very slight pause, 'chinese'

I find that works much better, and allows the navi to process it.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigwilliestyle
Try separating the "commands" and the "variables."

Such as find nearest chinese

Say 'find nearest', very slight pause, 'chinese'

I find that works much better, and allows the navi to process it.
Thanks! I'll try that again during my 1 hour drive home... that should keep me busy... and hope it works... or else....
Old 03-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Instructor

D'oh! Still not working... everything result in 'air conditioner'... I really think that there's some problem with the program in our car... Will be calling the dealership agent tomorrow to check if this problem is common, and bring it in when needed.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:13 PM
Racer

Sounds like you just have a bad unit. Hopefully the dealer can get it working
Old 03-31-2005, 08:15 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you sure you're not speaking in chinese??

LOL
Old 03-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mg7726
you sure you're not speaking in chinese??

LOL
LOL!

Um... let me think...

If my memory serves right... I think I was speaking English...
Old 03-31-2005, 11:38 PM
Can't wait to drive

I haven't used my voice command for the longest time. It only get it right half the time, and since I don't use it often, I forget what the useful commands are anyway
Old 04-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

mine works perfect, probly only missed 5 commands since i bought it.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Hopefully my husband will remember calling the agent today. Will keep you all updated.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:43 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Works every time for me. It's important to say the proper commands exactly as they are explained in the manual. Ex: saying "defrost" will not work, you have to say "Climate control defrost"
Old 04-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Works every time for me. It's important to say the proper commands exactly as they are explained in the manual. Ex: saying "defrost" will not work, you have to say "Climate control defrost"
Ya... I had the user guide in my hand and doing everything following it and all outcome is 'Air conditioner'... I don't think I pronounced 'Display on' as 'Air conditioner'?!?!??!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:57 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jpooncanada
Ya... I had the user guide in my hand and doing everything following it and all outcome is 'Air conditioner'... I don't think I pronounced 'Display on' as 'Air conditioner'?!?!??!
pretty strange
Old 04-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
pretty strange
Ya... that's why we think there's something wrong with the programming on it. I will suspect myself of my accent causing problem, but my husband who speaks pure English shouldn't be having the same issue as I'm. So, whenever we tried it, the A/C goes on and off non-stop...
Old 04-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Just called the agent. He said that he tried before and with his accent, it doesn't work either. So I told him that even my husband's command is not working and it always come back 'air conditioner'. He told me to bring it in on Monday night for him to test it...
Old 04-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Top notch 6MT

LOL!

Um... let me think...

If my memory serves right... I think I was speaking English...
Are you sure it wasn't Chinglish you were speaking in?
Old 04-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Instructor

ya... windows up... turn off A/C... put on map/guidance screen... press Talk button... wait for beep then say ...
Are you pressing and releasing the talk button? I had a hard time getting commands to work until I realized I needed to press and hold the Talk button, hear the beep, and release it when I finish the command.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Racer

good luck, hopefully they fix it on monday for you.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Advanced

ya... windows up... turn off A/C... put on map/guidance screen... press Talk button... wait for beep then say 'Find nearest Chinese restaurant' (also try 'CD skip forward', 'Display ATM')... still give me 'pardon', 'can you repeat', or even 1 or 3 beeps. I'm pretty sure at least the 'Find nearest' command works on the map/guidance screen. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm start thinking that there's something wrong in the program that it only holds 'air conditioner' as the vocab in there and that's why won't recognize the rest. I can say that I might have accent... but my husband doesn't... and it doesn't work for him as well. Thinking of bringing it to the dealer to check this out.
you can tell the car to roll windows up and down? wow... what else can you do? The voice command stuff is pretty awesome.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by abcheng
you can tell the car to roll windows up and down? wow... what else can you do? The voice command stuff is pretty awesome.
I don't have Nav but I seriously doubt the voice control includes commands for rolling the windows up and down?!

Those with Nav, please verify. Thanks
Old 04-03-2005, 01:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcaulfie
Are you pressing and releasing the talk button? I had a hard time getting commands to work until I realized I needed to press and hold the Talk button, hear the beep, and release it when I finish the command.
hm... interesting... I was able to get "air conditioner" working without holding the Talk button... Releasing the Talk button, I still hear the beep and then I start giving the command.... Am I doing this wrong??? If that's the case, how did I get that working?!?!?! I feel like entering the Twilight Zone...

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Are you sure it wasn't Chinglish you were speaking in?
hahahahha, I think my Chinglish is only used in ICQ or MSN. I'm not that crazy yet... Am I?!?!?!?
Old 04-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Mmmm... tasty.

hm... interesting... I was able to get "air conditioner" working without holding the Talk button... Releasing the Talk button, I still hear the beep and then I start giving the command.... Am I doing this wrong??? If that's the case, how did I get that working?!?!?! I feel like entering the Twilight Zone...

hahahahha, I think my Chinglish is only used in ICQ or MSN. I'm not that crazy yet... Am I?!?!?!?
I see... you trying it differently then I do on my TSX.

Just hit the button then release. It will then beep like 1/2 a second later. After it beeps, then say your command. That should work! You only have to tap the "talk" button... don't hold it down.

Also, you don't have to turn down the air conditioner, fan, or radio, since the car will automatically turn everything down when you tap the "talk" button so it can hear you better. Try that! Good luck!
Old 04-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by McGriddle
I see... you trying it differently then I do on my TSX.

Just hit the button then release. It will then beep like 1/2 a second later. After it beeps, then say your command. That should work! You only have to tap the "talk" button... don't hold it down.

Also, you don't have to turn down the air conditioner, fan, or radio, since the car will automatically turn everything down when you tap the "talk" button so it can hear you better. Try that! Good luck!

You have to hold down the Talk button for the entire duration of giving a command.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Mmmm... tasty.

Originally Posted by daniel1113

You have to hold down the Talk button for the entire duration of giving a command.
No you don't. Seriously. Check it out. Works well for me. After it beeps, you get a few seconds to give the command. When it gets the comand, it'll repeat it to you and do it.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, you're definitely not supposed to hold it down. Just press it, let go, it beeps, say command, and it should work.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Thanks for all your advise and suggestions!!!

I'm really confused now... Hopefully my husband and I will have energy to drive to the dealer tonight after work to check this out...

I'll keep you all updated.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Top notch 6MT

Thanks for all your advise and suggestions!!!

I'm really confused now... Hopefully my husband and I will have energy to drive to the dealer tonight after work to check this out...

I'll keep you all updated.
Good luck!!! Keep us posted.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Good luck!!! Keep us posted.
Will do! Keeping all my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed....
Old 04-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Mystery Solved!!!!!

The answer is: there is something wrong with our voice command system!!!!

We showed it to the agent and he tried it by himself and it wasn't working. He walked out of the car and said that he's going to order the parts for us and call us in when the related parts are here... He came back out from the dealership and asked us to try it on another TSX (the one that we tested drive on). We tried every single commands 'radio FM 88.9', 'Find nearest Chinese restaurant' (I said it even with my chinese accent... hehehe), 'Display off', etc and everything works like a charm!!!! That proves that there is something wrong with the voice command in our car!!!!! YAY!!!! Problem solved!!!!!

hehehehe, so he's going to really order the parts and fix it. Hope he won't give me a junk as a loaner though...

Thanks for everyone's help in this topic!

I will again update you guys when it gets 'fixed'.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Mmmm... tasty.

Great! Glad to hear it'll be fixed for you... and that it's the car and not YOU!
Old 04-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Top notch 6MT

We showed it to the agent and he tried it by himself and it wasn't working. He walked out of the car and said that he's going to order the parts for us and call us in when the related parts are here... He came back out from the dealership and asked us to try it on another TSX (the one that we tested drive on). We tried every single commands 'radio FM 88.9', 'Find nearest Chinese restaurant' (I said it even with my chinese accent... hehehe), 'Display off', etc and everything works like a charm!!!! That proves that there is something wrong with the voice command in our car!!!!! YAY!!!! Problem solved!!!!!

hehehehe, so he's going to really order the parts and fix it. Hope he won't give me a junk as a loaner though...

Was it a broken mic???
Old 04-05-2005, 09:56 AM
dP-
Instructor

I'm a fellow Torontonian, and have been having problems with my navigation as well. I haven't played too much with the voice commands, more with the touch screen. I have posted a thread about the problems I've had here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5258

I hope since we have the new Canadian navigation system (new in 2005), that we're not getting one that wasn't fully tested. Doesn't make sense, since all they should have done was make a new CD for the US version. Let me check out my voice commands tonight to make sure I don't have a lemon navigation...

Old 04-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Was it a broken mic???
I personally don't think it's the mic... because if that's the problem, it won't even pick up our voice. I think it's more like the programming of the system or the voice recognition configuration or setup.

The agent called this morning and told me to bring the car in next Monday and they will have to diagnose what's wrong and fix it. They are keeping it til hopefully the end of Tuesday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Voice command: working or not working?