TSX vs RSX handling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 07:17 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TSX vs RSX handling.

Now that the TOV TSX driving impressions video is out there is a little bit of a interesting discussion going on about the TSX vs the RSX handling. Anyone have any thoughts?

You need to be a member at TOV to see this so here is a snippit of the discussions so far ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bobski32
Throw an RSX in the mix. [View Article] (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2003 02:37

Love the videos, it's always enjoyable to watch the cars in action, and not just read about it. I think the fact you drive the two cars back to back is the best way to give the most accurate feeling of the two cars, strengths and weaknesses.

My question is, after driving the two cars, how would you compare the sensation or feeling of an RSX-S? You mentioned how fun the TSX is to drive, and I got the impression it might be a little more exciting then the Accord. Again, how much more exhilarating is the RSX-S compared to these cars, if any?

Thanks again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

notyper
Throw an RSX in the mix. [View Article] (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2003 22:39

The RSX is a bit more tossable than the TSX, but it is actually an inferior handling car next to Acura's latest. The TSX chassis is stable, resists understeer well, responds accurately to driver input and will do just about anything you ask it. Short of better tires and a limited slip, the chassis is almost a perfect blend of performance and civility.

The Accord, by comparison, feels heavier and a bit sloppy - even though it weighs about the same as the TSX - something to with all that engine weight in the nose and softer calibrations I suspect.

SC

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

notyper
Throw an RSX in the mix. [View Article] (Score: 1, Normal) 09-22-2003 13:55

I'll bet the TSX would be better than the RSX. I've tracked a few RSXs and, while I haven't tracked the TSX, I think in factory form it would be better behaved.

Your comment about the ITR is cogent (IMO). I believe that, considered in the context of its target market and performance requirements, what Acura has done with the TSX's chassis is just as significant/amazing/awesome as what they did with the ITR when it was first released. Simply amazing performance for a FWD car, or any drivetrain config for that matter. The ITR was all about the ultimate in handling while the TSX balances terrific handling with great livability.

SC

Danny wrote:
I actually prefer the TSXs road manners to the RSX and even my old ITR for normal (legal) everyday driving.

I have no doubts that the integras would be better at limit or on the track, but the TSX is just impeccable at anything less than 7 tenths.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuan
Throw an RSX in the mix. [View Article] (Score: 1, Normal) 09-22-2003 17:14

I drove the TSX at an Atlanta SCCA autocross when I was out there. I'll have a short article and video of it later, but the gist was that in a tight autocross, the car was too big and rolled too much for my tastes. I still prefer the RSX with its lighter weight and shorter body in this situation. I'll have more thoughts on it in my article.

On a race track, the TSX may be able to perform better given its better balance.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow ... very nice impressions here ... and as a previous owner of an RSX-S I would tend to agree. The TSX seems to handle just as well but in a much more civil manner. I think the RSX-S has quicker turn in (tossable), but the TSX can hold the line as well or better. Gotta get me some sticky tires
Old 09-22-2003, 09:08 PM
Drifting

Wow, very nice praise there. I've never driven the RSX but I think the TSX is a terrific handling car. Anytime I can safely do 80 on a twisty on-ramp I am happy.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by provench
and as a previous owner of an RSX-S I would tend to agree.
provench,
Do you have any regrets getting your TSX coming from an RSX-s??
Do you miss your RSX at all?

I am considering trading mine in for a TSX even though i truly love it still...I'm just sick and tired of a 6 speed in daily bumper to bumper traffic, ya know??
Old 09-22-2003, 10:37 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
Multi link double wishbone vs. rear double wishbone and front macpherson strut.

Ill take the multi link double wishbone any day over the mac strut. Honda switched the civics and rsx and crv to a front mac strut cause its cheaper for production.

The last gen civic and ITR would probably out handle the TSX because its a smaller double wishbone.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:45 PM
Advanced

I think another reason for the mac strut for for space saving too
Old 09-23-2003, 04:45 AM
Still here

I have both a RSX Type-S and a TSX in my garage right now, and I have to say the RSX is more fun to drive. It's lighter with the same horsepower, has a stiffer suspension, and revs higher and faster. Its a great car for around town driving and playing, but sucks ass for long drives.

Perhaps getting some mods for the TSX would make me feel a bit better, but for now with as fast as the RSX revs up, the TSX feels constipated. I hope a new intake might solve some of this...
Old 09-23-2003, 06:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by e_lectro
I have both a RSX Type-S and a TSX in my garage right now, and I have to say the RSX is more fun to drive. It's lighter with the same horsepower, has a stiffer suspension, and revs higher and faster. Its a great car for around town driving and playing, but sucks ass for long drives.

Perhaps getting some mods for the TSX would make me feel a bit better, but for now with as fast as the RSX revs up, the TSX feels constipated. I hope a new intake might solve some of this...
I have to agree with e_electro here. About a month ago I stuck with a straight RSX through a long sweeping corner coming of the highway. A straight RSX will easily take the TSX in cornering... that is it's design. Of course, my TSX ate it up coming out of the corner, but I can only imagine if a Type S was infront of me and how much harder it would've been.

The main limiting factor in this test of suspension was my tires. They simply lost their ability to do what I was asking of them. Hopefully when I get my Yoko ES100s, I'll be able to perform the same experiment with much better results.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Champ
provench,
Do you have any regrets getting your TSX coming from an RSX-s??
Do you miss your RSX at all?

I am considering trading mine in for a TSX even though i truly love it still...I'm just sick and tired of a 6 speed in daily bumper to bumper traffic, ya know??
Well ... I needed the convenience of the additional two doors and felt I was not giving up any if not just a little bit of handling compared to the RSX-S. In addition, I got a better highway riding car, more torque, 2 more doors, better stereo, etc.

Note that I did NOT give up the 6MT though I think if you wanted two more doors the TSX is the best thing if you really like the way the RSX feels (smaller and tight handling). The TSX really feels smaller than it is when you toss it in the corners. You really have to check out the videos on www.vtec.net with the guy taking the TSX through the mountain roads ... great videos!

Good luck
Old 09-23-2003, 12:24 PM
Racer

Originally posted by provench
Well ... I needed the convenience of the additional two doors and felt I was not giving up any if not just a little bit of handling compared to the RSX-S. In addition, I got a better highway riding car, more torque, 2 more doors, better stereo, etc.

Note that I did NOT give up the 6MT though I think if you wanted two more doors the TSX is the best thing if you really like the way the RSX feels (smaller and tight handling). The TSX really feels smaller than it is when you toss it in the corners. You really have to check out the videos on www.vtec.net with the guy taking the TSX through the mountain roads ... great videos!

Good luck
I watched the TOV TSX video again and I think "wow, what I fun car" was said about six times. Even at the very end "wow! just a fun fun car to drive". Good stuff by TOV.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:31 PM
Advanced

thanks for the feed back provench
Old 05-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Racer

Some guy had the nerve the other day in a stock RSX (non-s) to challenge me to a race, what a douche bag...
Old 05-03-2005, 07:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackAc036
Some guy had the nerve the other day in a stock RSX (non-s) to challenge me to a race, what a douche bag...
But why is he a douchebag? Even a base RSX is pretty quick, and more nimble than a TSX...
Old 05-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
can you guys get me a link to that video? thanks
Old 05-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Holy thread revival!!
Old 05-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
this thread needs an exorcism
Old 05-03-2005, 09:06 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
This thread means the "Search" button works
Old 05-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by domn
This thread means the "Search" button works
It's about time the s figured out how to use it.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Owned both.......rsx wins in the corners. My premium rsx has comparable acceleration with better handling. I drive some intresting roads to and from work and can take one for the corners about 15km/h faster with the rsx. The MXV4's are still the weak link but less of an issue without all that weight trying to push the car through the corner.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:32 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Off Topic. Someone down the street from me just bought a 05 PWP RSX-S.

All I can say is That color on that car is amazing and the styling refresh is IMO perfect. It looks like the car has skirts but I believe there stock. I was never a fan of the 02-04 styling. If I needed a 2 dr coupe or a car in that class I don't think there would be anywhere else to look.

Sure it may be slower than a WRX but it more than makes up for it in looks.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Team Owner

Off Topic. Someone down the street from me just bought a 05 PWP RSX-S.

All I can say is That color on that car is amazing and the styling refresh is IMO perfect. It looks like the car has skirts but I believe there stock. I was never a fan of the 02-04 styling. If I needed a 2 dr coupe or a car in that class I don't think there would be anywhere else to look.

Sure it may be slower than a WRX but it more than makes up for it in looks.
Looked so good, they feel the urge to can it, just like another Acura coupe we're all too familiar with.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Looked so good, they feel the urge to can it, just like another Acura coupe we're all too familiar with.
Nothing 240HP and the SAME PRICE couldn't fix.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RSX = double wishbone rear, macpherson strut front, its weight only makes up for its handling charactistics.
TSX = double wishbones all around in a configuration and chassis best suited towards FWD.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Instructor

my sister has a premuim rsx. occasionally we switch cars and i find that the rsx handles much better than my tsx, suspensions alot stiffer, u can take turns much faster IMO. but i'm sure if u make the tsx's suspension stiffer i'm sure it could out perform the rsx.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Santacruz
I watched the TOV TSX video again and I think "wow, what I fun car" was said about six times. Even at the very end "wow! just a fun fun car to drive". Good stuff by TOV.
Where is this video? I can't seem to find it!
Old 05-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Got Milk???

My gf's RSX non-S is more "tossable" or turns in without much effort compared with our TSX. TSX is not as "tossable" as the RSX, but has much higher limit when pushed really hard. One thing I also noticed was, RSX felt more stable during corner turns... maybe it's just my feelings, but I was thinking maybe it's because RSX is a lot lighter than the TSX... or is it some other reason?

-KC
Old 05-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

Nothing 240HP and the SAME PRICE couldn't fix.
Unfortunately, we may never see it happen...

At least not as an RSX. I'm still holding out hope for a TSX based coupe though...
Old 01-01-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I had a 2003 RSX (which got totalled) and replaced it with a TSX after driving a stock base again, a type-s, and a tsx...

After finally giving up my 93 integra 5mt, I felt right at home in the base model RSX and ultimately purchased one. I really liked the car, but the suspension was what I began to ultimately HATE!

The test drive I took at the dealer conveniently fell on freshly resurfaced roads and as soon as I got into more realistic driving situations, I found that the ride left much to be desired. It's a light car, and suspect the suspensions lacks sufficient preload. The springs and struts are totally mismatched, and it delivers a false feeling of good handling on smooth roads just by feeling "tight". Even with all the suspension travel, you can feel every minor imperfection in the road. It felt alot less "sporty" over time. I would call it more like stupidly stiff and mismatched to the car. ...and I second the opinion that it "sucks ass for long trips".

Long story short, I installed Comtech Sport Springs and Koni Adjustable stuts (cambre kits too!)... It made the car handle like a dream with only a slight increase in vibration transmitted from the road. The body didn't roll AT ALL and the annoying afterbounce effect of the base RSX stock suspension was eliminated.

Then I got to drive it for about 5 more weeks before a 17 year old chrashed his older brothers not-yet-registered or insured mustang into me at an intersection, just hours after getting his license, totalling both vehicles.

LESSONS LEARNED:

Investments in aftermarket parts vanish in a flash and your insurace company will not pay you ANYTHING for them (but some allow you to pay extra insurance if you subject your car to re-inspection)...

Parts costs aside, playing with suspension and actually GETTING IT RIGHT takes much more time, tweaking, and money than you would ever expect when you first set out to do this.

Therefore I was inclined to purchase something I would be sadisfied with in its stock form, or at least not have to make such major mods to be happy with it...

The RSX-S test drive consisted of deliberately getting myself "lost" on some back country roads, and then seeing how the thing handled things like dips in the road, sweeping turns and railroad tracks. It didnt handle them much better than a base model RSX, and with its even stiffer suspension (cause its lowered .1") was most annoying. I pictured the whole interior shaking apart with the even more abrupt suspension response... Oh, and the bose radio SUCKS ASS. Don't be fooled by the name.

The dealer was willing to sell me the TSX I ultimately purchased for a mere $200 more than the RSX-S that was sitting there. I went on the original track, and the differences were NIGHT and DAY! The suspension handled everything I through at it with impressive confidence, and the inside was MUCH QUIETER! I could actually drive somewhat agressively and talk to the person next to me in a normal conversation voice. Shifting was extrememly smooth compared to the rachet-like wanna-be short throw crapola! The TSX wins out by far! And dont make the mistake of just looking at the PEAK HP numbers in both cars! Torque is king!
Old 01-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Have camera, will travel

Wow. Ohms law. Nice write-up on the cars BTW.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Intermediate

For spirited, sporty driving the RSX probably feels more agile but for pushing the limits TSX is better. Especially when suspension is modified, the TSX chassis and suspension geometry is superiour.

Best example is the SCCA. The RSX can't beat the TSX even when fitted with the K24A engine.
See:
http://www.speedvisionwc.com/competi...ngine-1223.pdf
Old 01-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^

interesting pdf file.

i wonder what the members over at clubrsx have to say about this request form. i don't own an rsx, so it would be nice to see an rsx owners' perspective...
Old 01-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by absolude
For spirited, sporty driving the RSX probably feels more agile but for pushing the limits TSX is better. Especially when suspension is modified, the TSX chassis and suspension geometry is superiour.

Best example is the SCCA. The RSX can't beat the TSX even when fitted with the K24A engine.
See:
http://www.speedvisionwc.com/competi...ngine-1223.pdf
The Realtime guys said that the TSX is slower on the straights because it needs to cut a bigger hole through the air, but it really catches up in the corners.

The comparison really doesn't extend to the real world though because the RSX is so much lighter. On the track, they both weigh the same, but in street weight, I'm sure it's just as fast through the twisties.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:58 PM
08 MDX with Sports

I had 02 RSX now 04 TSX but I have to admit hands down RSX...
Old 01-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
^

interesting pdf file.

i wonder what the members over at clubrsx have to say about this request form. i don't own an rsx, so it would be nice to see an rsx owners' perspective...
This was for 2005. It was aproved but the TSX still won.
People at clubrsx may say what they want, when is about hardcore racing the wishbones will win.
Having said that, the RSX S in a sweet car. In everyday driving will feel faster, more nimble through corners than the TSX. Better gearing, power to weight ratio etc.
TSX chassis/suspension geometry is just better suited to raceprep treatment.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
The Realtime guys said that the TSX is slower on the straights because it needs to cut a bigger hole through the air, but it really catches up in the corners.

The comparison really doesn't extend to the real world though because the RSX is so much lighter. On the track, they both weigh the same, but in street weight, I'm sure it's just as fast through the twisties.
You are right. If weight is the same the the TSX will corner faster.
I remember when Realtime replaced the Integra type R with the RSX only thing in my mind was if the suspension was good enough.
Through that year they were complaining of not having enough straight line speed but I knew it wasn't true as the K20 was just as good if not better for acceleration as the Integra type R. I suspected the suspension all the way.
Tha following year TSX shows up and wins proving I was right since day one.
This is why I like the TSX, for being built as a sport sedan from the ground up.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by absolude
This was for 2005. It was aproved but the TSX still won.
People at clubrsx may say what they want, when is about hardcore racing the wishbones will win.
Having said that, the RSX S in a sweet car. In everyday driving will feel faster, more nimble through corners than the TSX. Better gearing, power to weight ratio etc.
TSX chassis/suspension geometry is just better suited to raceprep treatment.
i would agree with you...

i guess this is why it's not uncommon for tsx owners to have also owned, or still own, other honda's such as prelude's, integra's, rsx-s'es.

the suspension set-up's are very tight...
Old 01-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Intermediate

i would agree with you...

i guess this is why it's not uncommon for tsx owners to have also owned, or still own, other honda's such as prelude's, integra's, rsx-s'es.

the suspension set-up's are very tight...
Yep, Integra and Prelude here. Stupidly, the Lude is sold, bigest car related mistake I made.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Drifting

^

still would like to have a 2001 prelude se 5mt.

average price? about $20k CDN. not within my price range...
Old 01-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

^

still would like to have a 2001 prelude se 5mt.

average price? about $20k CDN. not within my price range...
I sold mine for $19.000 CDN. Absolutely mint, 40.000Km. What I hate the most is how I didn't appreciate the car fully. All the time I was complaining for no reason for stupid things like: no four doors, high insurance, many cars got faster etc.
Now I got punished for good measure. Can't find a 4 door to handle like it.
I tested even the Lexus IS 250 and it's tipsy in transition and pushes in corners worse than some FWD cars.
I found the TSX closest in steering feel but I feel I'm sitting a bit too high and would like a little better acceleration. Will try again the 2006 one.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Wow, this is the second time this thread has been resurrected!! Now officially almost 2 1/2 years old. Wonder what the oldest living thread is??

Quick Reply: TSX vs RSX handling.