TL looks "sportier" than the TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 02:21 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL looks "sportier" than the TSX?

I just saw these 2 cars side by side on a dealer lot, both in silver and I have to admit, the TL looks much sportier than the TSX does. I saw a TL on the road the other day and I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, but after seeing it next to the TSX, I think I actually like it better. I am not sure if it is the wheels or the cut that runs the length of the car, but something about it looks more aggressive and sporty. I like the front of the TSX better, but everything else goes to the TL.
Interior, I think I think I would still have to give the nod to the TSX's. Just an opinion, but I was surprised.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:47 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I disagree. I like the looks of the TL a lot, but I think that indentation in the middle of the door pannel takes away from the smoothness of the car.

But, I do like both vehicles, interior and exterior.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:49 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like the scar running down the side of the TL.

The TL may look sportier though because of its wider, and lower stance. The TSX is more narrow and sits higher. (relative to its width anyways).
Old 10-29-2003, 03:28 PM
Advanced

My dealer let me take a silver TL home for an overnight look and before I left the dealership (and my CG TSX in their back lot) I parked them next to each other for just the comparison that Buff Daddy made.
Maybe it was the difference in the colors, but I have to agree with fdl that the "TL look(s) sportier though because of its wider, and lower stance. The TSX is more narrow and sits higher. (relative to its width anyways)." I'm ok with the side indent but IMO it may seem more noticeable on certain colors.
Many magazine and internet articles I've read that talk about Acura "getting their act together" always mention the TSX and the TL in the same sentance.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Racer

I tend to agree that the TL looks "sportier" due to the wide stance and the scar down the side.

But I'm not a fan of the scar, and I think the TL's tail lights are Impala-esque:P

And at 6'4" I need the high profileness of the TSX, although it does detract a bit from the looks.

Finally, the side mirror blinkers on my TSX take the cake
Old 10-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Audi Driving Snob

i'm hoping by dropping the tsx on comptechs it will give it a lower stance
Old 10-29-2003, 05:28 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by LeMasseHammer
Finally, the side mirror blinkers on my TSX take the cake
The two cars are so similar looking - I'm really surprised that they didn't included the side mirror blinkers on the TL. I like them, but my woman once hopped into the car laughing when my flashers were on, saying "your ears are blinking!"

I haven't seen the TL up close, but I think I like the line down the side (even if it's a BMW ripoff). I like the TSX profile at 90 degrees, but when you look at it obliquely at 45 degrees from the front (a common media picture), the doors look boring. Not an issue on the TL.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:36 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Well, the TSX has the wedge instead of the scar, but I guess thew wedge is a more subtle feature.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I've found that the TSX has no styling problems that can't be fixed with the set of lowering springs. A couple inches closer to the ground, and it looks like a whole new beast. I think the TL may have more aggressive styling (certainly much more so than the previous generation TL), but I don't necessarily think it is "sportier."
Old 10-29-2003, 06:48 PM
Racer

I prefer the TSX over TL slightly. IMHO, the TSX, though definitely conservative and derivative, is cleaner and more elegant. It's a keeper and it's gonna age well.
I don't care for the cut line on the side of the TL at all and the tail, especially the lights and square exhaust, is a let down. I like the TL better than the G35 or IS though. Both of those designs are not going to stand up well in the long run. They are too of-the-minute. My sister in law's boyfriend has an IS. He's in his mid twenties. I think that's their demographic.
Best: 3 series, S60 (a rolling work of art) and TSX. Second tier: TL, 9-3. Bottom: 9-5, G35 and IS300. By the way, though I don't think it was Honda's intent, I think the TL, at least with it's exterior design, may appeal to a younger demographic than the TSX.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

i think the TL looks like a bloated land yacht.... TSX looks more sporty compared to the TL...the TL looks big and heavy
Old 10-29-2003, 10:14 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by gilboman
i think the TL looks like a bloated land yacht.... TSX looks more sporty compared to the TL...the TL looks big and heavy
:shakehd:

Have you seen one in person Gilbo? How you can possibly write that without using smileys is beyond me, because you can't possibly be serious.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
I prefer the TSX over TL slightly. IMHO, the TSX, though definitely conservative and derivative, is cleaner and more elegant. It's a keeper and it's gonna age well.
I don't care for the cut line on the side of the TL at all and the tail, especially the lights and square exhaust, is a let down. I like the TL better than the G35 or IS though. Both of those designs are not going to stand up well in the long run. They are too of-the-minute. My sister in law's boyfriend has an IS. He's in his mid twenties. I think that's their demographic.
Best: 3 series, S60 (a rolling work of art) and TSX. Second tier: TL, 9-3. Bottom: 9-5, G35 and IS300. By the way, though I don't think it was Honda's intent, I think the TL, at least with it's exterior design, may appeal to a younger demographic than the TSX.
Why so down on the styling of the Saabs and G35. I like the way all of those vehicles look.

The only truly ugly car in the lot is the IS300.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Let's face it, the TSX's high window sills and belt line make the car look a bit chunky from certain angles.

I had thought that side body moldings would aleviate that a bit.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:12 AM
Pro

Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
I prefer the TSX over TL slightly. IMHO, the TSX, though definitely conservative and derivative, is cleaner and more elegant.
I agree that the TSX is "definitely conservative and derivative, is cleaner and more elegant." That is why I think it doesn't look quite as sporty as the TL. I see "scars" as sporty and "wedges" as more classy (clean lines). I think it should be the other way around. Older people with a little more money are more likely to be looking for those clean lines and the younger people looking to get into that special car might be looking for a little more of a sporty look for thier sedans?
Old 10-30-2003, 04:23 AM
Cruisin'

there is no way i can have an unbiased opinion on this one but i guess i'll chime in too... i parked across from an 04 TL last weekend and gave it the walkaround. it kind of reminds me of an offspring of a TSX and a pontiac grand prix. oh well, it still looks nice but one thing that i love so much about my tsx is the rear end and the blinkers on the mirrors (someone up there said that's what takes the cake... i agree). oh, our interior looks better too. i'm dont fit the market for a TL but maybe if i did and did own one i'd be saying the comletely opposite sh.. that i'm saying now (man, those blinkers on the mirrors are tacky... the rear end looks stupid).
Old 10-30-2003, 07:35 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
I agree that the TSX is "definitely conservative and derivative, is cleaner and more elegant." That is why I think it doesn't look quite as sporty as the TL. I see "scars" as sporty and "wedges" as more classy (clean lines). I think it should be the other way around. Older people with a little more money are more likely to be looking for those clean lines and the younger people looking to get into that special car might be looking for a little more of a sporty look for thier sedans?
Buff, I think you are pretty much on the money.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:32 AM
Instructor

I wish the TSX was as wide as the TL.
The TL is nice no doubt about it... but overall it's not even close in terms of exterior styling:

1. what's with the Grand Prix style tailpipes?
2. odd character line along side.
3. Bulky side mirrors

My $0.02

Cheers!
Old 10-30-2003, 11:26 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Brad
Let's face it, the TSX's high window sills and belt line make the car look a bit chunky from certain angles.
I couldn't agree more! That is what I "don't" like about the rear portion of the TSX, it is very chunky/thick and it takes away from the shape a little bit.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:30 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Hey Buff, what do you think of the new BMW redesigns? I don't think I've seen you comment on them yet and I'm just curious.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by fdl
Hey Buff, what do you think of the new BMW redesigns? I don't think I've seen you comment on them yet and I'm just curious.
The new 5 series is fugly!!! The rear tail light assembly especially, the way it cuts in on the rear quarter panel. For the rest of it, it looks like a old 5 series that got left out in the sun too long... all soft and droopy. Big mistake by BMW.

The new 7 series is OK. I think the TL took some cues from it...
Old 10-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Pro

Originally posted by fdl
I didn't like the new 7-Series when it 1st came out, but it is starting to grow on me a little bit. They had the 760 V12 at a dealership last time I stopped in and it was pretty impressive. And for $112,000 it should be!
I am sure the new 5-Series is one hell of a machine in the 530, 545 and especially M5 versions, but I have to admit that it is not my favorite design. I don't hate it, but it isn't something that I would buy, even setting cost aside. I have yet to see one on the road, so it will be interesting to see how much it sticks out when I finally do see one, but it just doesn't look like a BMW to me.

Old 10-30-2003, 02:25 PM
More On

Nice, Buff.

BTW is this a TL or a TSX?
Old 10-30-2003, 02:31 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
[B]

I've seen the 5 series in person and it looks much, much nicer than it does in photos. It looks like a very sophisticated smart designed car. The back still is'nt quite up to the rest of the car but the front looks great IMO.

But its still no TSX

I've also seen the new 7 and Z4 in person and they look just as ugly as they do in the photos.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:03 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by domn
[B]
I've also seen the new 7 and Z4 in person and they look just as ugly as they do in the photos.
See that's funny, 'cause although I'm lukewarm on the new BMW sedans, the Z4 really appeals to me. It's unconventional, but I think there's more latitude for taking chances in designing a roadster than a sedan.

Just me...
Old 10-30-2003, 03:57 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
I love the TSX and the TL. but ive decided i love the TL even more, interior, features, styling just grab me more. But i would still own either one.

As far as bimmer. 85 5 series was the first car i ever bought. I LOVE bmw

BUT chris bangle is a pompous, delusional cocksucker.

I hate every single one of his designs EXCEPT the 7, i do like that, but i hate the stalk mounted shifter.

5 series does look better in person BUT that isnt saying much, its still fugly and the interior is one of the worst designs ive ever seen.

fuck bangle.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Spud
See that's funny, 'cause although I'm lukewarm on the new BMW sedans, the Z4 really appeals to me.
I think the only bad angle on the Z4 is from the front, head on. I am not sure what it is about the front of that car, but I don't like it. I think it looks great from the side and rear.
The only thing that looks like a step into the future on the 5-Series is the headlights and I will have to get used to those. The rest of the car looks like a step back (boring) to me. I think BMW is in for a feeding frenzy when they discount the remaining 2004 3-Series because I don't think the 2005 is going to be well received. I'm glad I got mine!
Old 10-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Don't get run over!

For me the TSX looks more sportier than the new TL. Thats just my opinion though.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:18 AM
Intermediate

when i first say the TL i thought it was some sort of special TSX, or that they'd come out with a new body style revision. i just looked like the same car. this is bascially how bmw's work, but in the past that wasn't the case with acura, it threw me off.