Stop sale/recall on 04-08 TSXs - Power steering hose leak - Page 5 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine TSX Community > First Generation TSX Discussion (2004-2008)
Reload this Page >

Stop sale/recall on 04-08 TSXs - Power steering hose leak

Notices

Stop sale/recall on 04-08 TSXs - Power steering hose leak

Old 07-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

I just got a 2007 TSX on Saturday and looking through the reconditioning report is indicates that they review all recall parts for the vehicle but there isn't any indication that the service that has been completed. Should I still take it to a Acura dealership and have them review it? I bought it from a Honda dealership. I asked the sales guy about it and he said that during the reconditioning process they take care of all outstanding recalls but according to the report it says they review the recall but there's no indication a new hose was purchased and replaced on the report.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 PM

Which Acura dealer are you using fornthis job please?

Originally Posted by stogie1020 View Post
Wow, timely.

My 06 is in for leaks in the PS hose and also the rack. $690 for me out of pocket, except I talked with the manager and also Acura Care and Acura will cover ~70% of the costs. Since my issue also includes the rack, I am OK with a $180 bill for it instead of $690.

I am over the mileage for warranty but under the time limit (45 months).
Please share with me which dealer you are using. They seemed very workable for mileage out of warranty. What is the time limit about please? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:47 PM

Hi
acuratech, I have come across a few of your posts/replies. They are very helpful. Thank you. If I may ask a question about my 04 TL power steering related, your reply is greatly appreciated.

I went for the PS hose recall replacement in 7/08 and can't be sure whether my Acura dealer replaced the o ring and seal as well. I assume they would know better. Then, in 12/08 I had to bring the car back because of noises from the hood when the car was cold to start (I live in Arizona and winter here is actually nice weather) and sometimes during turns. Can't remember whether the problem was there sooner or not. But dealer ended up telling me my PS pump leaked and needed replacement. By then I had 54000 miles in and only 4 months after the PS hose replacement.

I just went through the old service records because they are telling me the PS rack leaks now but no need for immediate replacement yet. Not only I suspect now the hose recall service may actually damage/fried my pump, I now think this entire PS system may be all defective since the rack is leaking too. I was not explained thoroughly about the pump leak and ended up paying for a brand new pump that was over $400. I read other posts here that an o ring change could possibly fix the problem. I would never know now since I didn't look in this forum back then and was told by dealer that I needed to get the new pump right away. Also, with 54000 miles and in 12/08 (I bought the car in 5/04), I was not offered any discount or break for the new pump services. Would you share your expert experiences please? Thank you.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

hey i just found out last week i had a leak in my feed hose, tried to patch it up so it leaks less until i get it fixed,

does this recall work in Canada? anyone here tried?
Old 10-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BenSwelll View Post
UPDATE:

I finally got the final report last Thursday of the cause and origin of the fire. Drumroll please.......recalled power steering hose. Of which the dealership replaced a year before the fire. My insurance is in the process of going after the dealership/corporate. Acura corporate refused secondary inspection which leads me to believe they knew they ware liable. After how I was treated by the service department, I hope that someone is nailed to the wall.
I jumped the Acura ship, this being my third Acura in less than 5 years. My first Integra was great, but every subsequent model has been of lesser build quality and reliability. While I enjoyed the TSX, it nearly killing me was enough. Not to mention I would still have to deal with the same dealership that treated me so terribly.
Moral of the story: Don't put your life in jeopardy just because your service manager thinks he knows what he is doing.

For those who have not seen this thread
https://acurazine.com/forums/first-generation-tsx-discussion-2004-2008-124/my-tsx-caught-fire-824930/

There seems to be a fire on a TSX even after having the recall performed on the PS Hose. Even though mine is said to be replaced, I'm keeping a close eye for any leaks.

Last edited by dominik331; 10-04-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

I was told when I took my 06 in last year that the recall had more than one step...part 1; replacing the PS hose, which may have become dry and brittle over time and exposure to the heat in that area - part 2; installing heat shielding to protect the new hose from further heat, etc.

It sounds like the owner with the fire perhaps did not have the shielding added...and at the very least had a situation that was a fluke occurrence. With over 150,000 1G TSX's on the road & affected, if this was a common issue, I'm sure we would be hearing more than once about such an extreme fire -- (particularly after the recall repair was made.)

If you're worried, have your hose and shielding inspected by Acura to verify it looks safe.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Boulder I agree with you.

I inspected mine today and it does have the shield around the hose. It never hurts to double check. I don't know the details or credibility of the case in that thread but I thought I would share.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

my p/s was leaking since last week, the first time i noticed my steering going very hard to turn, i checked under the engine and there was a bit of smoke coming out, i cleaned where the leak was coming from and over all the cables that got wet from it. the hose did seem to be getting more brittle over time as i noticed 2 tiny holes leaking. after checking this thread, i proceeded with calling acura/honda canada and they just blew me saying that it is an issue that hasnt been noticed in canada and there is no need for a recall, if anything happend to the p/s it would be cause me not steering properly.

i got fed up talking over the phone, so i went over a garage that specialize in acuras and honda, they estimated 120 for a used hose from a 2007 and with labor it would end up with 200 bucks to get it replaced.

i didn't want to play that much for a job i could do myself, so i did a little research and at my local auto parts, they were able to get be a brand new p/s hose for 120, same price, nut brand new, so i bought it and got it installed myself on the same day. It took me over an hour, it was really simple.

now im driving normally, or better since i can now turn the wheel effortlessly with my pinky.

i cleaned every part where the leak fell over, and i havent seen any smoke since.

cant say thanks to acura, but i do feel much safer with a brand new pressure line
Old 05-15-2012, 03:42 PM

Did you ever find out anything on this? I have a similar situation and believe my PS pump is damaged in connection with my PS hose leaking and/or the hose replacement done under the recall.

Originally Posted by Sutatami1110 View Post
Hi
acuratech, I have come across a few of your posts/replies. They are very helpful. Thank you. If I may ask a question about my 04 TL power steering related, your reply is greatly appreciated.

I went for the PS hose recall replacement in 7/08 and can't be sure whether my Acura dealer replaced the o ring and seal as well. I assume they would know better. Then, in 12/08 I had to bring the car back because of noises from the hood when the car was cold to start (I live in Arizona and winter here is actually nice weather) and sometimes during turns. Can't remember whether the problem was there sooner or not. But dealer ended up telling me my PS pump leaked and needed replacement. By then I had 54000 miles in and only 4 months after the PS hose replacement.

I just went through the old service records because they are telling me the PS rack leaks now but no need for immediate replacement yet. Not only I suspect now the hose recall service may actually damage/fried my pump, I now think this entire PS system may be all defective since the rack is leaking too. I was not explained thoroughly about the pump leak and ended up paying for a brand new pump that was over $400. I read other posts here that an o ring change could possibly fix the problem. I would never know now since I didn't look in this forum back then and was told by dealer that I needed to get the new pump right away. Also, with 54000 miles and in 12/08 (I bought the car in 5/04), I was not offered any discount or break for the new pump services. Would you share your expert experiences please? Thank you.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

How can you find out if the hose on your car has been replaced? I just purchaced my 2006 TSX a month ago from a Honda dealer.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stingr1971 View Post
How can you find out if the hose on your car has been replaced? I just purchaced my 2006 TSX a month ago from a Honda dealer.
Just bring it into your Acura Dealership, they'll let you know if it has been done.

I had same situation bought used 06 tsx and brought it into an Acura Dealership - Carlsbad and they told me it wasn't done and fixed it in a day. No charges / no questions as it was all paid under the recall. My car had 120k miles well out of the warranty.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:21 AM

Can I just call the dealer with my VIN or do I need to show up in person?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:41 AM

been threw 2 power steering pumps

went to dealer i have 150k on mine said out of warranty or there just being dicks! 800 from dealer fml
Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Hi All,

I recently went to Acura Dealer for wheel bearing check they told me there is a recall on my TSX for "2004-2008 Acura TSX: Electronic Control Unit Corrosion Recall" and they said it will only take 5 min.

Not sure whether any of guys have already done it.

Just wanted to update you all.

Note: I logged onto Acura Link web site and i see this recall as well along with another one for 2014 MDX.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Mars,

Did you also checked ur power steering hose too? Or u just mainly replaced " Electronic Control Unit Corrosion Recall" ?
Old 09-17-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by tybo212 View Post
Just bring it into your Acura Dealership, they'll let you know if it has been done.

I had same situation bought used 06 tsx and brought it into an Acura Dealership - Carlsbad and they told me it wasn't done and fixed it in a day. No charges / no questions as it was all paid under the recall. My car had 120k miles well out of the warranty.
Anybody else was able to get the recall done even though the car was out of warranty? Don't wanna waste time rolling down to the dealer.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

I would like to know the same. I have an '05 TSX with 104k miles. Had the power steering hose replaced a couple of years ago. Now I just started to hear whines and it looks like this TSB covers that issue. I am going to replace the o-ring and see if that helps.

I thought I had seen a link somewhere to determine what TSBs had been done on your car by looking up your VIN. Can't find it anymore.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:11 PM

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but wanted some advice on this...

I'm in Canada and have an '08 CPO TSX, which isn't covered under the recall. I'll be spending a month or so in the summer in Texas and Lousiana, so this could potentially be an issue for me. Going to try and see whether Acura will be nice about it and help pay part of the cost if I have them replace it, but if not, do you guys think it's worth it to pay out of my own pocket to have them replace the hose? Max, I'll probably be driving 3 hours a day down in the actual "southern states" but I'll have some days driving 6-10 hours getting there in what looks like avg temps >30C.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2014, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

Just purchased a new p/s hose from the auto parts store, but I'm going to see if my tsx qualifies for a p/s hose before I install the one I purchased.

thanks for the instructions on the install and the info on the service bulletin