Stop sale/recall on 04-08 TSXs - Power steering hose leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Stop sale/recall on 04-08 TSXs - Power steering hose leak

**MODS - Feel free to move this to problems and fixes if needed. I simply felt it would get more views here, and forget where I posted the RL and TL P/S hose recalls in the past for everyone** That said...

The following was just emailed to my Acura (IN/ISIS) account:

"DATE: April 26, 2010
TO: All Acura Sales, Service & Parts Managers
RE: 2004~08 TSX Power Steering Hose Leak Recall and Stop Sale

Today, April 26, 2010, American Honda is announcing a Stop Sale order and Recall on all 2004~08 TSXs. Some of these units may be in your dealer inventory. All in-stock units will need to be repaired prior to sale.

Another iN message will be posted on April 30, 2010 with repair instructions, parts information, and warranty claim coding related to this Stop Sale. Dealers will be allocated a limited number of countermeasured parts for repair of in-stock units and critical customer handling on April 30, 2010.

Note: You should not sell any affected vehicles until they have been repaired. Should an unrepaired vehicle cause an injury or damage because of the recalled item, the dealership will be solely responsible to the damaged party, and will be required to defend and indemnify American Honda for any resulting claims.

Basic Problem

Underhood temperatures, especially in the Southern states, cause some areas of the high pressure power steering hose to become brittle. If a leak occurs, power steering fluid may contact the exhaust pipe, causing smoke or fire.

Campaign Information

A Service Bulletin will be posted May 11, 2010. The client mailing will be mailed May 28, 2010. The client mailing will begin with the 2004 model year. Subsequent model years will be added as additional parts become available.

Parts Information

Power Steering Hose Kits will be allocated later this week. These limited initial quantities are intended to cover used vehicle inventory and/or service units down at your dealership. Further allocations will soon be made as additional parts become available. You will be advised when the order method changes.

Effective immediately, the affected power steering hose (p/n 53713-SDC-A02) is no longer available to Acura dealers. Sales must be halted; no internal tickets or outside sales should be allowed. All dealer inventory of this hose should be held for OAR return instructions to be issued later this week.

Warranty Information

Specific warranty coding for this recall will be included in the subsequent iN message and Service Bulletin. This coding must be submitted on the claim, otherwise the vehicle will not be registered as repaired."

**Now this is all the info the email lists. This is exactly how the RL and TL P/S hose recalls started out. When an official bulletin comes out, I'll provide a link or copy of the bulletin for everyone to see. I'm usually over in the TL forums, but when major stuff like this comes out (just like the stop sale/recall for the ZDX last week), I post it up for everyone to see. I'll keep you guys posted then (or any other Acura Techs on here can feel free to chime in too).

-- Kevin
Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Wow, that's huge news.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I hope it covers those owners who have 120,000miles +.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Certified BAMF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PACman
I hope it covers those owners who have 120,000miles +.
me too!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:48 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
^
It should.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:20 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Originally Posted by princelybug
^
It should.
Scott is right.

Recalls need to be done, by law, to any car, regardless of mileage. The exception is (sometimes/most of the time) if the car was totalled/a total loss, reconstructed title, etc. Then Acura is not legally required to do the recall. I can think of one 3G TL that was totalled, rebuilt (and not correctly at all, might I add), and we did the recall but charged the customer for parts and labor (after explaining the above info to him). The car wasn't safe to begin with, the P/S hose was the least of his worries...

That said, you guys will be covered, don't worry
Old 04-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for posting this info.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the info! Here's hoping it applies to Acura Canada as well!

Does anyone know how this affects those members who replaced the PS hose recently out of their own pocket? I recall a helpful post by "KVan..." who verified that the Honda Accord hose fit, as her TSX PS hose was leaking all over. I wonder if she'd be able to get money back as a result of the recall?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Good man. Thanks for the info. Glad to hear about what coming in the next few weeks.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Doh! I just bought my CPO 2007 TSX last weekend!! Good to know....
Old 04-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

Where is this hose located? Is this something that i can see just looking down inside the hood? I'm starting to hear noise when steering (not often and only when i drive off my driveway and when driving off my work parking lot), and wonder if this can wait til i have time to go to the dealer.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Sweet!

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Good to know! I'll be keeping my eye out for the notice.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just called my dealer and they don't know anything about the recall yet.

Guess i have the wait till the 30th ?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Wow, timely.

My 06 is in for leaks in the PS hose and also the rack. $690 for me out of pocket, except I talked with the manager and also Acura Care and Acura will cover ~70% of the costs. Since my issue also includes the rack, I am OK with a $180 bill for it instead of $690.

I am over the mileage for warranty but under the time limit (45 months).
Old 04-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
oh wow, that is pretty serious, didn't think my beautiful 08 tsx would ever have a recall!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:02 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I will have to ask my friend-a acura service manager-about this-Thanks for the post-
Old 04-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
"Underhood temperatures, especially in the Southern states, cause some areas of the high pressure power steering hose to become brittle. If a leak occurs, power steering fluid may contact the exhaust pipe, causing smoke or fire."

FIRE???

This got my attention.

Wow, I think I should look into this. Temperatures tend to get toasty during the summer down in Florida.

Has anybody ever heard on this board of a TSX catching fire???
Old 04-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

First off, to all who said thanks for the info, you are more then welcome This is one of the many reasons I'm on AZ, to help others, and let others know. That said, let me try and answer many of the questions that were asked.

For Canadians, the recalls/bulletins seem to differ sometimes. It's hard to say, though I think it will eventually be a recall up there, just might not happen as soon/quickly. I think there is a thread in the 3G TL forums about the P/S recall for them vs. us. If memory serves me correctly, it happened, but just later then us?... Don't quote me on that, it's been awhile since I have checked that thread.

The hose is the one that runs from the power steering pump (if you have the hood open, and are looking at it the engine, it's on your left (technically the right side of the engine)), and runs back down to the subframe, then along and across the rack, to where the steering column shaft comes through the firewall to the rack.

We have no other info other then my original post so while most dealerships should know, they may choose not to "admit" knowing since they have no other info/fixes/etc to go on, to tell the customer.

They will most likely reimburse for any costs directly related to the upcoming recall (i.e. those hose, but not the pump, rack, etc). This occured at our dealership once, where someone had replaced the hose on their TL for a leak, prior to the recall, and was reimbursed for the repairs.

Didn't think the TSXs would have anymore recalls, after the headlight one. These cars are pretty well built. Trust me, I have an Ohio built TL-S (don't get me started, I know from personal experience: Japanese built Acura vehicles are better built then USA/Canadian built Acura vehicles, regardless of production quanitites...)

Personally have only ever seen ONE TSX with a barely leaking power steering hose, let along fire. Then again, never saw a TL with a leaking power steering hose, except for the ones that were two years past the recall notice, that had already been sent notices two or three times. After that, I have seen at least 15 or 20. Never a major leak, except one, where smoke was clearly pouring from the engine compartment once we opened the hood...

Hope this helps everyone. Like I said, I'll keep you posted with updates.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Advanced

Any idea how long this recall will take in terms of service time? I'm trying to determine if I can wait with the car, or if I should drop it off.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Originally Posted by philliesfan980
Any idea how long this recall will take in terms of service time? I'm trying to determine if I can wait with the car, or if I should drop it off.
No idea yet. The 04-06 TLs paid 1.9 and the 07-08s paid 1.7, took me about .7, and some guys on here did theirs a different way that took .5 or so (though I didn't like that method, personal opinion). That being said, I haven't even looked at a TSX hose in maybe a year or so? But from what little I do remember, it didn't look as involved as the TL ones.

But, remember, the tech doing this will be literally laying on your engine to do some/most of this. That means it'll be hot. So since the recall letter will say leave your car for at least half the day (to allow scheduling, etc), I would recommend this too. Yes, as techs, we realize, and know, we'll have to deal with hot components, but it's just flat out easier and more comfortable if the engine has had some time to cool, especially since we're getting towards summer. I can't tell you how many TL P/S hose recalls I did on hot engines, and even people waiting, and I'm not going to lie. It sucked. I mean a bunch of the work was done arond the cat, and those things are well over 1000F when they have been driven and warmed up.

This is just my
Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Dammit. I wanna get this recall done but I hate going to the dealers.........They always give me a hard time cause my car is modded
Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Acuratech239:

How long do you think this recall will be in effect? For example, if a Tsx owner decides not to do anything and then 2 or 4 or 6 years down the road, the hose starts leaking, will he still be covered? Will he be covered parts and labor?

What has been your experience with other recalls and how long they last? Specially recalls involving a potentially dangerous situation like a fire.

Thanks for any info.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Well technically since it's a recall, they can't give you any problems in regards to mods to your car. Sure, if it's slammed, the tech might be cursing getting your car onto the lift (been there, done that), but otherwise, the recall itself, if it's anything like the TLs and RLs, is pretty straight foward.

A recall is for life. It could be twenty years, and if the campaign is still open for the car (meaning not completed for the specific vehcile), it has to be done (again, see below the exceptions I wrote about). That being said, every once and awhile we still get a CL in that needs the ignition switch recall (over 10 years since that came out).
Old 04-28-2010, 06:35 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I will have to ask my friend-a acura service manager-about this-Thanks for the post-
just received a e-mail from my friend. He received the notice yesterday and was informed the kits will start to be shipped out on the 11th. When they receive them he is going to hold onto one of them for me.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acuratech239
No idea yet. The 04-06 TLs paid 1.9 and the 07-08s paid 1.7, took me about .7, and some guys on here did theirs a different way that took .5 or so (though I didn't like that method, personal opinion). That being said, I haven't even looked at a TSX hose in maybe a year or so? But from what little I do remember, it didn't look as involved as the TL ones.

But, remember, the tech doing this will be literally laying on your engine to do some/most of this. That means it'll be hot. So since the recall letter will say leave your car for at least half the day (to allow scheduling, etc), I would recommend this too. Yes, as techs, we realize, and know, we'll have to deal with hot components, but it's just flat out easier and more comfortable if the engine has had some time to cool, especially since we're getting towards summer. I can't tell you how many TL P/S hose recalls I did on hot engines, and even people waiting, and I'm not going to lie. It sucked. I mean a bunch of the work was done arond the cat, and those things are well over 1000F when they have been driven and warmed up.

This is just my
Thanks appreciate the info. Not a huge deal, I'll just schedule an appointment someday and drop the car off.

Also thanks for keeping us in the loop on when this will officially be announced. I bought my car second hand from a non-acura dealer, so I don't receive recall notices directly, but rely on forums like this to keep me in the loop.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Sweet!

Hmm. Sucky for those of us who live more than a half hour from the nearest Acura dealership (I'm one of them). I wonder if I'll be able to talk a dealer into a loaner/rental?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:01 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by thunder04
Hmm. Sucky for those of us who live more than a half hour from the nearest Acura dealership (I'm one of them). I wonder if I'll be able to talk a dealer into a loaner/rental?
If the dealer has loaner cars and you give them notice you will need one-I think they will. The closest acura dealer to me is about 30 miles. I only go to tat one when i either need the annual state inspection or unable to get to the dealer I prefer in PA. As stated by me previously this dealer is supposed to start getting shipment of the new kits on the 11th. They are going to hol onto one of them for me.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Sweet!

There's a Honda dealer 5 minutes from my house...can they perform the recall work?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

that sucks. when i first bought my tsx the next day or so my power steering hose had a leak.. this was back in 09 and it was a 05 tsx. it has been replaced and no problems so far.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Was talking to my boss more today, and we have a TSX on the used lot that was supposed to go out the day this stop sale was announced. That said, he made some calls, and supposedly the hoses are being air shipped from Japan as we speak. My boss is hoping they'll come Saturday, but we both doubt they will. The assumption is they'll be in sometime next week for sure. Again, this is all as per his convo with the district and regional reps.

Additionally, as the original post of mine says, cars in inventory, etc, and 04s, get first priority. This is just how it went with the TLs (though they have three different kits, depending on year/trans, no info yet if the TSXs will be this way too). So those cars will get done first (presumably because Acura assumes they'll have the higher mileages).

We always have loaners available (four total right now), but depending on the flow of customers, sometimes not everyone can get one. Then we pay for them to get a rental from Enterprise... There are of course age restrictions, etc.

When it comes to an Acura recall, only an Acura dealer can do it, sorry thunder! (I'm sure you knew this and were just kidding around )
Old 04-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Sweet!

I was pretty sure that only Acura can do the recall work...but a part of me was hoping...

It's definitely something I'll schedule because I definitely don't want to be stuck at the dealership waiting...and I wouldn't want to rush the technician performing the work.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts
Dang. Closest Acura dealership is almost 2 hours away, I think I'll have to make a weekend trip out of this. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:02 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Acuratech,

So if I JUST had my PS hose and rack resealed and replaced respectively (two days ago for leaks), it was probably with the old part?

They cut me a break on the costs because I am only at 45 months of ownership but 63K miles, although I still paid some out of pocket. I will have to see if any costs were charged for the hose or labor on the hose. That, I assume, I can be reimbursed for?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:04 AM
TSX

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...fire-risk.html
Old 04-30-2010, 11:55 AM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Just great, this notice made the auto section of the New York Times, the world's paper of record

Glad I didn't do any toyota/lexus bashing, think we're up next
Old 04-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 5o9
Just great, this notice made the auto section of the New York Times, the world's paper of record

Glad I didn't do any toyota/lexus bashing, think we're up next
One fire has been reported from this, and who knows what other circumstances lead to that. Acura is doing the right thing by announcing the recall now - What more would you want them to do?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Called my dealer, they have no info yet. My friends have been having crazy issues with their TLs (transmissions, etc). I'm very happy with my 2006 TSX with 72,000 miles on it. Hopefully the dealer gets the info soon.

Is it basically ALL 2004-2008 models?
Old 04-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

**NEW INFO IN THIS POST**

(Other posts answered first)

Yes if you just had that hose replaced, it would def have been with the old one. I'm not aware of any dealerships that would have had them as of a few days ago (but read on in this post for more info). And yes, they should have to reimburse you at this point, though depending on the details of why it was replaced, etc, there's a chance they wouldn't have to. But more likely then not, you'll get some money back.

I'm surprised more dealers don't already know about this. Heck we got the second update this morning, as well as a PDF on the procedure, complete w/ new part #, labor op, warranty claim info, etc.

BELOW IS THE LATEST UPDATE:

DATE: April 30, 2010

TO: All Acura Sales, Service & Parts Managers
RE: 2004~08 TSX Power Steering Hose Leak Recall and Stop Sale – Updated Information/Punctuation Correction.

On April 26, 2010, American Honda announced a Stop Sale order and Recall on all 2004~08 TSX’s. Some of these units may be in your dealer inventory. All in-stock units will need to be repaired prior to sale.

Note: You should not sell any affected vehicles until they have been repaired. Should an unrepaired vehicle cause an injury or damage because of the recalled item, the dealership will be solely responsible to the damaged party, and will be required to defend and indemnify American Honda for any resulting claims.

American Honda will ship a limited number of improved power steering hoses to each dealership. Dealers should only use these hoses to prepare an in-stock car for sale or fix a customer car that has a leaking power steering hose. Use the linked repair information and Warranty Claim coding to complete the repair and file a Warranty Claim.

Basic Problem

Underhood temperatures, especially in the Southern states, cause some areas of the high pressure power steering hose to become brittle. If a leak occurs, power steering fluid may contact the exhaust pipe, causing smoke or fire.

Campaign Information

A Service Bulletin will be posted May 11, 2010. The client mailing will begin mailing May 28, 2010. The client mailing will begin with the 2004 model year. Subsequent model year mailings will be added as additional parts become available.

Parts Information

Power Steering Hose Kits (P/N 06530-SEC-A00) will be allocated on Friday April 30th for DSO delivery. These limited initial quantities are intended to cover used vehicle inventory and/or service units down at your dealership. Additional allocation will be made the week of May 3rd. Additional allocations will be made as additional inventory becomes available. Parts are currently not available for dealer ordering. You will be advised when the order method changes.

As of 4/26, the affected power steering hose (p/n 53713-SDC-A02) is no longer available to Acura dealers. Sales must be halted; no internal tickets or outside sales should be allowed. All dealer inventory of this hose must be returned to American Honda following the OAR return instructions below.

Affected Part

APPLICATION DESCRIPTION FAILED P/N
2004~2008 TSX Power Steering Hose 53713-SDC-A02

iN OAR Procedure

1. Use Reason Code R, with 11 zeroes for the Shipper Number.
2. Use Item Number 9999.
3. Enter “TSX Power Steering Hose” in the Remarks Section.
4. No Shipment Listing or Invoice is required for this return. After receiving the Authorized Return Documents, return the parts via your normal process.
5. Order Adjustment Requests (OARs) must be submitted by 4/30/2010.

If you have any questions, contact the OAR Analyst at your assigned Parts Center.

Warranty Information

Specific warranty coding for this recall is included below and in the Service Bulletin. This coding must be submitted on the claim, otherwise the vehicle will not be registered as repaired.

Use the following Claim coding prior to the Service Bulletin posting.

Operation number: 5121G2
Flat Rate Time: 0.6 hour
Failed Part Number: 53713-SDC-A02
Defect Code: 5HH00
Symptom Code: R3500
Skill Level: Repair Technician

MY

I have to go in to work tomorrow to do one of these. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. They don't look nearly as involved as the TLs, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'll keep everyone posted
Old 04-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

OK AND HERE IS THE PROCEDURE:

Sorry it's all formatted wrong. There isn't actually a real TSB yet so I can't just link it up for all to see. Rather, it's an email in the system, so I had to copy and paste, and this is the best I can do. I went ahead and corrected some of the format, but basically, this is it!

2 of 4 10-xxx
2004–08 TSX: POWER STEERING FEED HOSE
REPLACEMENT
PARTS INFORMATION
Power Steering Feed Hose Kit:
P/N 06530-SEC-A00
(Contains P/S feed hose and P/S pressure switch
O-ring.)
REQUIRED MATERIALS
Acura Precision Crafted Power Steering Fluid:
P/N 08206-9002A
(Each vehicle requires two 12 oz. bottles.)
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
Operation Number: 5121G2
Flat Rate Time: 0.6 hour
Failed Part: P/N 53713-SDC-A02
Defect Code: 5HH00
Symptom Code: R3200
Skill Level: Repair Technician
REPAIR PROCEDURE
NOTE: Take care not to spill power steering fluid on the
body and parts. Wipe off any spilled fluid at once.
1. Raise the P/S reservoir, then disconnect the return
hose, and drain the reservoir. Plug the return hose
nipple with a suitable cap.
NOTE: Inspect the reservoir screen for any debris.
If the reservoir screen is clogged, replace the
reservoir.
2. Connect a hose of suitable diameter to the
disconnected return hose, and put the hose end in
a suitable container.
3. Start the engine, let it run at idle, and turn the
steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times.
When fluid stops running out of the hose, shut off
the engine. Discard the fluid.
4. Remove the cap from the return hose nipple on the
reservoir, then reinstall the return hose on the
reservoir.
5. Raise the vehicle and support it with safety stands
in the proper locations.
6. Remove the P/S heat shield, then lower the vehicle
to the ground.
7. Disconnect the P/S pressure switch connector (A).
8. Remove the P/S feed hose clamp from the valve
cover.
9. Remove the two bolts (A) from the end of the P/S
feed hose, then remove the hose from the P/S
pump.
NOTE: To prevent fluid from dripping, wrap a towel
around the exposed end of the hose.
10. Remove the feed hose/line holder mounting bolts
and the feed hose/line holders.
11. Disconnect the P/S feed hose from the gearbox by
loosening its flare nut.
12.Within the rear engine mount base, position the
feed hose toward the front of the vehicle.
13. Pull the feed hose toward the right side of the
engine compartment, then route the hose through
and out of the rear engine mount base. Push the return line flare nut forward and down to clear the rear REAR ENGINE engine mount base. MOUNT BASE
Pull the feed hose out on the passenger’s side.
14. Remove the P/S pressure switch from the original
feed hose, then install it on the new feed hose with
a new O-ring. Torque the switch to 12 N.m
(8.8 lb-ft).
15. Install the new feed hose in the reverse order of
removal.
• Torque the gearbox flare nut on the new feed
hose to 42 N.m (31 lb-ft).
• Torque the P/S pump feed hose bolts to
11 N.m (8.1 lb-ft).
• Torque the feed hose/line holder mounting bolts
and the feed hose bracket bolts to 9.8 N.m
(7.2 lb-ft).
• Torque the P/S heat shield bolt to 22 N.m
(16 lb-ft).
16. Refill the P/S reservoir to the upper level line.
NOTE: Use Acura Precision Crafted Power
Steering Fluid.
17. Start the engine, run it at a fast idle, and turn the
steering wheel lock-to-lock several times. This will
bleed any air from the P/S system.
18. Recheck the fluid level, and add more if needed.
Do not fill the reservoir above the upper level line.
NOTE:
• Make sure you remove all shop towels used
during the procedure.
• Wipe off any spilled P/S fluid.
19. Center-punch a completion mark above the
seventh character of the engine compartment VIN.
Center-punch here.
JH4CL9XXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it very much.

Quick Reply: Stop sale/recall on 04-08 TSXs - Power steering hose leak