Start your car without using the clutch (6-speed/Manual)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 PM
What's in your

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Start your car without using the clutch (6-speed/Manual)

I figured out how to start the car without the clutch! BUT, it could be a hazard if you forget to leave your car in neutral.

I hope you aren't parked behind anyone or behind something if you forget to leave it in neutral before you start.

1) look under the steering wheel and above the pedals, there should be a plastic cover that's snapped in, unless it has already been removed. Take out that plastic cover

2) locate the switch! its the one with the yellow plug, not gray

on the other side, you will see this:

sorry, i couldn't fit my phone down there to snap the other side so I just took this one.

this is the switch that makes it mandatory for you step the clutch in all the way in order to start the motor.

What I did to hold the switch in:
- used a zip-tie
- a piece of cardboard
3) Zip-tie the piece of folded cardboard to hold the switch in place

REMEMBER TO LEAVE YOUR GEAR IN NEUTRAL BEFORE STARTING YOUR CAR!!!

if you want to test it first before doing anything, hold the switch in with a finger and try starting your car without pressing the clutch.
(pics and mod from an '06 TSX)
Old 04-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Modding newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't that cause other problems since your car thinks you always have the clutch enguaged?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
What's the point of doing it?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:53 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
Wouldn't that cause other problems since your car thinks you always have the clutch enguaged?

no... i think your just tricking your starter into thinking it's enggaged, they do the same set up for Remote Starters on manuels... don't really see a point in it.. last i checked it wasn't that much of a mission to press down a clutch LOLLOL
Old 04-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I predict rtea2008 will need the services of a bodyshop soon.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:25 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
agreed. Why exactly do you want to do this?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Advanced

+1

Give your cruise control a try now.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:06 PM
2006 ASM tsx

thats the sensor that failed on my car... you can just uplug the plug.. and put a wire in both sockets.. =) then you can unbolt your sensor and send it to me. lol.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Buddy
+1

FWIW the clutch pedal cruise control defeat switch and the clutch pedal starter bypass switch are two individual switches. The O.P's "mod" will not effect cruise control function.

Still, defeating a safety feature of the car is a really bad idea.....and with cardboard and a ziptie????....that's just lame.

If you've ever been in or witnessed someone accidentally start a car in gear, it's usually not a pretty sight.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:02 AM
What's in your

no, just like georgetoris said. it's not having the clutch engaged. You still have to press it in to shift and take off.

Originally Posted by tony4311
agreed. Why exactly do you want to do this?
To ease the starting method of a standard car... getting tired to push in the clutch to start now. haha

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Buddy
+1

my cruise control still works. it would be the one with the gray plug below that will disable your cruise control.

Originally Posted by vthree
thats the sensor that failed on my car... you can just uplug the plug.. and put a wire in both sockets.. =) then you can unbolt your sensor and send it to me. lol.
lol no i'm going to keep it haha. Why don't you wire yours?

Last edited by rtea2008; 04-29-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:29 AM
TSX 2005 Manual

btw, I don't think that hitting the clutch is much of a safety measure-maybe just a little. You can still forget and lift your foot off the clutch after you start your car while in gear. But in any case, yes, why disable it...but I guess that is fine, I put it in the same category as another thread where someone wants to merge the 2 exhaust pipes into only one! Why do this!!
Old 04-29-2009, 07:18 PM
I am Ahab!

Originally Posted by rtea2008
To ease the starting method of a standard car... getting tired to push in the clutch to start now. haha
wtf man really? Buy a damn automatic next time if you're too lazy to push in a damn clutch to start a car. Man that sure is hard work.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kanonen
btw, I don't think that hitting the clutch is much of a safety measure-maybe just a little. You can still forget and lift your foot off the clutch after you start your car while in gear. But in any case, yes, why disable it...but I guess that is fine, I put it in the same category as another thread where someone wants to merge the 2 exhaust pipes into only one! Why do this!!
Except if you accidentally start to engage the clutch with the engine running, you'll feel the car start to move and instinctively push the pedal back down to disengage it.

If the car starts with the clutch engaged and the trans in gear (which is a lot more likely now that cars all have fuel injection and high output ignition systems), and your foot is nowhere near the clutch pedal to disengage it, you and the car are going on potentially destructive ride until you figure out what to do.

In the old days (before clutch interlock switches that bypass the starter) cars usually didn't start so easily and often the car would "bump" but would stall as soon as you released the key.

...something to think about.....
Old 04-30-2009, 05:10 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
If you ever needed to move the car a bit and had no other way to do it (the engine was dead), moving with the aid of the starter motor and this trick would work.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
If you ever needed to move the car a bit and had no other way to do it (the engine was dead), moving with the aid of the starter motor and this trick would work.
Or you could push it and not risk damaging your starter or anything else on your car.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:38 AM
2006 ASM tsx

lol no i'm going to keep it haha. Why don't you wire yours?
my actual sensor broke.. so i had to do this "trick" but since your not using yours.. i'd gladly take it! lol.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Advanced

I can imagine not pushing the pedal in to be easier, but in that case I would have gotten an AT. The only benefit I can think of is that there is reduced wear on the clutch as a result of engaging it less often? What do you guys think of this?
Old 05-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 2K6TSX
I can imagine not pushing the pedal in to be easier, but in that case I would have gotten an AT. The only benefit I can think of is that there is reduced wear on the clutch as a result of engaging it less often? What do you guys think of this?
That just makes no sense at all. One way or the other you have to depress the clutch pedal (to disengage the clutch) in order to put the trans in gear. The only difference is whether you do it before or after you start the engine.

Again I say "what's the point".
Old 05-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by poltergeist
That just makes no sense at all. One way or the other you have to depress the clutch pedal (to disengage the clutch) in order to put the trans in gear. The only difference is whether you do it before or after you start the engine.

Again I say "what's the point".
Yes that makes sense, but right now without this 'mod,' i have to push in the clutch to start the car, then push the clutch again to put it in gear. This method would increase wear slightly. But this can be avoided by just parking the car in gear, then u push the clutch once to start the car, release the clutch and then drive away. I also agree that there is not much of a point, if one was so bothered by the clutch they should get an AT.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
^^
You are supposed to leave the car in gear for a manual tran when parked.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:35 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Truly, this is a terrible idea.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Advanced

^^
You are supposed to leave the car in gear for a manual tran when parked.
yup i'm aware of this, it's how my car is always parked
Old 05-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Pro

yup i'm aware of this, it's how my car is always parked
O.K so with this "mod" (if you leave your car in gear when it's parked) you have to....

1- Climb in, push the clutch pedal down to take the trans out of gear (or yank it out of gear with the clutch engaged which at the least is hard on the shifter bushings and cables).

2- Let the clutch pedal up so you can have the "benefit" of not having to start the car with the clutch disengaged.

3- When you decide you want to go, now you depress the clutch pedal again to disengage the clutch so you can put the car in gear, then engage the clutch again to drive away.

Makes perfect sense to me.......or not....
Old 05-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like you weren't meant to be the driver of a vehicle with a manual transmission. What do you do in rush hour traffic? Do you just leave it in first gear and crawl the entire time?

It's not hard pushing the clutch. And during those rare times when I didn't pull the gear shifter into neutral all the way, being able to slam on the clutch pedal instinctively has saved my vehicle from lots of damage.

And man, if you're tired of pushing the clutch in for the first time when you get into your vehicle, it must be hard for you to even drive down the street...
Old 05-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Unregistered User

Theoretically, if ur car stopped at railroad tracks or somewhere else where it cant stop, u can use the starter to get it moving. i know, I know, its not good for the car ect, but if u got no one to push it, this maybe better than being hit by a train....
Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by valeratj
Theoretically, if ur car stopped at railroad tracks or somewhere else where it cant stop, u can use the starter to get it moving. i know, I know, its not good for the car ect, but if u got no one to push it, this maybe better than being hit by a train....
Or rather than trying to have the starter push you to safety, how about you get out of the car and get to safety yourself!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by valeratj
I think you're trying to talk about toe-starts, but what does that have to do with this thread? The procedure requires using the clutch (unless you plan on pushing the car in neutral and then slamming it into 1st and hope that you get the timing right to get the gears to mesh together).

And yes, I have toe-started the TSX before when my car wouldn't start in my driveway (I was installing my rear view camera).
Old 05-07-2009, 12:52 PM
7th Gear

i agree with rtea2008. i can see if you wouldn't do it to your own car, but at least understand why somebody else would do it. the only reason that switch is there in the first place is as a precautionary measure so idiots that don't know how to work a vehicle properly don't screw up and hit things. i have a '04 6 speed with a remote starter and it works the same way. starts up when i press the button, but if i get in and use the key, i have to press the clutch. i have to press the friggen clutch so many times anyways (especially in a 6 speed hah) that i really don't need the left leg exercise.

but seriously, i think everybody here knows that if you were to get into your car, start it in neutral, and let it warm up for a minute, you would probably take your foot off the clutch before putting it into first gear. so that fact that my car will make me clutch to start the car regardless is borderline insulting to my intelligence. save it for the fords......
Old 05-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by poltergeist
O.K so with this "mod" (if you leave your car in gear when it's parked) you have to....

1- Climb in, push the clutch pedal down to take the trans out of gear (or yank it out of gear with the clutch engaged which at the least is hard on the shifter bushings and cables).

2- Let the clutch pedal up so you can have the "benefit" of not having to start the car with the clutch disengaged.

3- When you decide you want to go, now you depress the clutch pedal again to disengage the clutch so you can put the car in gear, then engage the clutch again to drive away.

Makes perfect sense to me.......or not....
just to make sure, you know I don't have this mod right? I don't deem it worth modifying, pushing in the clutch to start the car is not a problem for me
Old 05-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Unregistered User

^ I was talking about moving the car by having the starter turn the engine to move the car from the critical spot. Toe starting is there too
Old 05-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Pro

just to make sure, you know I don't have this mod right? I don't deem it worth modifying, pushing in the clutch to start the car is not a problem for me
Yep, got it. I was only trying to demonstrate that, if one were to leave the car in gear when it's parked, (as is recommended in the O/M) there is no reduced "wear and tear" on the car.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by super jumbo
i agree with rtea2008. i can see if you wouldn't do it to your own car, but at least understand why somebody else would do it. the only reason that switch is there in the first place is as a precautionary measure so idiots that don't know how to work a vehicle properly don't screw up and hit things. i have a '04 6 speed with a remote starter and it works the same way. starts up when i press the button, but if i get in and use the key, i have to press the clutch. i have to press the friggen clutch so many times anyways (especially in a 6 speed hah) that i really don't need the left leg exercise.

but seriously, i think everybody here knows that if you were to get into your car, start it in neutral, and let it warm up for a minute, you would probably take your foot off the clutch before putting it into first gear. so that fact that my car will make me clutch to start the car regardless is borderline insulting to my intelligence. save it for the fords......
I "warm up my car" with my foot depressing the clutch pedal. It's really not much exercise......but then again I park my car "out" in end spaces exclusively because I don't mind the "exercise" of walking.

Like someone said earlier in this thread, if it hurts your leg too much to depress the clutch pedal for a minute or so at a time, I think you'd be better off with an A/T.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:51 PM
7th Gear

i despise automatic transmissions... it's not a bad feature and i wouldn't go though the trouble of disabling it because it doesn't bother me that much.

it's really just the principle that it is unnecessary to clutch if i'm looking at the stick shift and it's in neutral when i start the car up.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:44 AM
6th Gear

bump! LOL i just bought a 04 tsx and the previous owner looks like cut the plug and electric taped some wires together or maybe just an individual wire from grounding out. im searching this cuz i want to revert it back to normal!
Old 10-29-2018, 06:54 AM
Intermediate

Maybe the car had a remote starter and they removed it? I'm sure this switch would come into play when they wire it for a remote.