A Sad Good-Bye........

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Sad Good-Bye........

So in the last 4 weeks, I have been mostly absent from responding on these boards, almost like I died. Well, I sorta did, at least a major part of me did. I was supposed to go the Los Angeles meet, I didn’t make it. Rather, I couldn’t make it. A lot has happened to me in the last 4 weeks, both good and bad.
On Friday, December 12th at 6pm I was rear-ended while waiting at a stop light. I never thought I would see what an ambulance looks like from the inside while on my back, and I never thought something like this could or would ever happen to me. It always happens to someone else, someone better than me, someone who deserves it less; but not on this night. I was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.
As I was sitting at a red light in Scottsdale, Arizona, about 6 cars back, I was listening to Linkon Park. I saw him coming, I figured he would stop, or at least swerve, but no. The guy hit me going 70mph in a 35mph zone. With my foot on the brake, I flew into the car in front of me, and she, in turn, went into the car in front of her. Before being hit, I had a good car length between myself and her. My front bumper ended up in her trunk, along with my grill, headlights, and hood; fenders bent to all hell, like an according-ian.

At the time, what I remembered:

I was hit, hit HARD! Sunglass holder flew open, $200 Oakley’s lay broken on the floor board. My cell phone, sitting in the “NOT AN ASHTRAY” had done a few flip’s and landed on top of the gear shift, then flew to the floor (maybe this is what broke the glasses, by the phone landing on them.)
Immediately I called the police/paramedics, then called my mom saying “I’ve been hit, meet me at this location, I am going to need a ride to my house…I’m ok, don’t worry.” I step out of my car, make sure the lady I went into is ok along with the guy in front of her, they are. I turn around to see cops all over the place; I would say this is no more than 2 minutes after the hit first happened. There were about 20 police officers at the seen already, and more on the way (at the time I thought this was a little much.)
I look at the car that hit me, no one in it. Plates are from Colorado. Living in phoenix, and knowing some of things that happen around here, bad things start to come to my mind. Did the guy run? How did I not see him? Is the car stolen? HOW THE HELL WAS HE ABLE TO RUN, his engine is in my trunk, literally!?
I stepped back to see my car, and started crying, literally balling. I couldn’t help it, the people that have been through this know what I am talking about. This is one of the worst feelings I have ever had, and there was nothing I could do. Next thing I know, a paramedic is asking “who’s grey car is that?” I responded “mine” and next thing I know, I am being told I have to go to the hospital.

Inside the ambulance:

The paramedics strapped me onto the most un-conferrable board I have ever been on! They put a neck brace, actually 2, and secured me in. asking me the basics (name, addresses, phone number, age, etc) the whole time. They were asking some weird questions also, DOES MY HEAD HURT? BACK? NECK? Then, the million dollar question, HOW MANY AIRBAGS ARE IN THE CAR? I responded with “8” and the guy kind of stepped back for a second, only thinking 2, he tried to correct me. I told him he could count them if he likes. He then asked me if I “realized that none deployed, and that my seat belt broke” I didn’t answer, I was in shock!

At the hospital:

So here I am, Friday night, 6:07 (I remember looking at my phone), and I’m lying on a stretcher in the emergency room of Scottsdale Memorial Hospital. I remember nurses asking the same stuff that the paramedics did, the doctor saying high, and asking the same stuff over again, a cute nurse asking me if I was cold and then giving me a warm blanket. Next thing I know I’m in the x-ray room. For the next few hours, not much happened, mostly lying down. Parents, friends, and girl friend all there, waiting in the lobby (only one person at a time was allowed to come see me, ER rules I guess). I remember my girl friend saying that we missed the movie, I laughed.
So, now its early morning, like 3am or so, everyone still there, and they are getting ready to release me. As I walk out into the lobby, I see 2 cops. They begin to inform me of the details I missed out on.
They give me my wallet, I had left it in the car, and give me directions to the police impound lot to view my car; however I cant remove my car for 3-4 weeks, as my car is “evidence”. WHAT THE F^CK? EVIDENCE? The guy that hit me just robbed a Wal-Mart, and was involved in a police pursuit when he hit me going 70mph. To top it off, the car was stolen and he got away. Needless to say, I was pissed. The cops told me I was lucky to have walked away from this and asked how my head felt. I said it was ok, but I have a headache. The cop said that this is normal when your head hits the windshield. THE WINDSHEILD? At the time, I didn’t even know I had hit it!
Thinking back on it over the past 4 weeks, when I was hit, I flew forward. I put my hands up, and they hit the glass. My head went into my hands, leaving a mark in the glass. My seat belt broke, leaving a nice mark on me. Also, my navi broke along wit my steering column, drivers seat, drivers door, both rear doors, trunk lid, all fenders and bumpers, taillights, full suspension, and the engine is done. Oil leaked out, and it got ugly. Apparently, the firefighters had fun.

Sorry this is so long, I just sat down and starting writing. I have more to write about the cost, and damage…if you guys want me to.
But, I still have my car-domain up, for now, but I have not had the chance to post pics yet. As soon as I can, I will.

All in all, I used to hardly ever wear my seatbelt, not I go nowhere without it on! I would've probably gone through the windshield if I wasn't wearing it! So, I thank god I was wearing it that night!
Old 01-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

wow
Old 01-14-2004, 05:40 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

wow x2 - glad to hear that you're ok. I'm sure this is no consolation, but you are lucky compared to what could have happened.

The car is not important... but the seat belt broke???
Old 01-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Audi Driving Snob

holy shit. Glad to hear you are ok man. I've been in an accident once as a passenger and it's no fun very traumatic. I can't believe the bags didn't deploy and your seat belt broke...makes me a little worried about the crash safety of our cars. I figured at a heft 3300lbs and 8 airbags they would be pretty safe.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:46 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
double wow, glad you are ok!
Old 01-14-2004, 05:47 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

yes, the seat belt broke.

the car was towed by flat-bed to acura's re-pair shop last wednessday morning. I talked to my repair advisior on thursday, and the total was at $13,000 and climbing fast for the repairs.

all the $13k included was front/rear bumper, 4 fenders, 3 doors, headlights, taillights, grill, trunk lid, hood, new navi system, steering colum, and drivers seat.

they still need to estimate the seat belt system, entire engine (wich they began de-assembaling it monday), motor mounts, axels, echaust/headers, and the rest of teh suspension.
plus, paint, allignment, and other minor stuff.

if the total to repair goes over 60%, they will call it totalled.
60% of 30k = $18,000

thats assuming the car is worth 30k, wich its not.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:48 PM

Thank God you are okay!!
Old 01-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

"I figured at a heft 3300lbs and 8 airbags they would be pretty safe."

me to! makes you think, doesent it? !!
Old 01-14-2004, 05:51 PM

Sounds to me like the car is pretty safe. You are okay?
Old 01-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Racer

Originally posted by KC 2004 TSX
Sounds to me like the car is pretty safe. You are okay?

Yea, that's what I was thinking. It could have been MUCH worse.

We've already been over why the airbags didn't deploy...:P
Old 01-14-2004, 05:55 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Dude, glad you are okay...it is hard to believe how quickly life can change. Your car was one of the first I saw when I started reading the forum before I decided to get my TSX, that picture of the stretched A C U R A stuck with me. Hope you can get a new one. With an impact as severe as yours, it will be really hard to find and fix every damaged part, not to mention the vehicle structure has been compromised and may not be strong enough to protect you in a future collision (not that you should ever have another one).
Old 01-14-2004, 05:56 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

ya, i am ok.....starting to get back into the gym, before it was to painfull.

but, every once and awhile, my neck/shoulders/shoulder blades start to hurt.

but, i am alive, and in better shape than my car!

i guess the car took most of the damage, which is what is supposed to happen, i think.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Jersey ---> Maryland

glad that u r ok
Old 01-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Reading your recollection of the incident made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. That could easily been me, or any one of us for that matter. Firstly, I can't believe that you were hit at 70mph and was able to get out of your car and walk around (or that the a$$h&!e that hit you was able to get away) also considering that the airbags did not deploy and that your seatbelt broke. It must be by luck, divine intervention, or both that you were able to survive the way you did. Secondly, its a testament to the frame and body design of new cars like our TSX that make collisions lilke this survivable. The crumple zones and energy absorbing design proved their worth. And lastly, I am very concerned about the broken seatbelt and the air bags. I noticed on other threads that the airbags are not designed to deploy at speeds below 30mph. I think that the depoyment logic needs to be given a second look by Acura. Perhaps adding acceleration sensors or something similar. I, for one, am glad you're still here and sharing your experiences with us.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Damn...sorry to hear about the accident. it's a good thing the seat belt was on and that probably saved your life. I hope the insurance will replace your car instead of repairing it...
Old 01-14-2004, 06:06 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn good to hear no one was hurt...well almost. Wouldn't minded hearing the moron suspect got messed.

Originally posted by ssm_tsx
We've already been over why the airbags didn't deploy...:P
?
Old 01-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Yeah..

Dang!! Glad your ok bro.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Airbags are not meant to be deployed in anything other than frontal, offset, and side impacts. Airbags rely on G-sensors that have a set decceleration thresold. That is why they do not deploy below 30mph.

Your headrest and belt pretensioners are supposed to be your rear-end protection. The belt pretensioner should have clamped down to prevent the driver from being bounced after the impact (rear impact pushes you forward). I am not sure whether Acura has designed them to only work in conjuntion with the airbags or not. The reason why they should clamp down temporarily is to keep you connected to the rest of the car while it moves, but not so much that it will cause internal damage when your organs hit your body. There are three moving objects in a car collision: the vehicle itself, your body, and your internal organs (heart, brain, etc.) You can lessen injury by following the movement of the car as much as possible, though this is not quite possible with your internal organs.

The belt may have broke too if the design threshold was exceeded to prevent further injury caused from the tremendous force imposed on the few points of your body that are in contact with the belt.

Most cars are also designed to only withstand impacts up to 45mph. The fact that you came out unscathed from the 70mph impact shows that acura has done an excellent job of creating energy absorbing front/rear zones and maintaining passenger compartment integrity!

Sorry for the long post...I was very interested in car safety dynamics a long time before becoming an IT architect. My post is by no means an explanation from a textbook, rather just my own understanding...
Old 01-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

the air bag thing: go to tl news, look for "crashtest", it is all over in there. i am still waiting to hear about how the TSX performs.

as far as the saftey of the car, i AM VERY lucky to have walked away, sorta. i was only standing for about 1 minute before i was on the stretcher. and the seat belt thing/air bag thing, acura will be hearing from me on this, i promise you guys this!

also, if my car is totaled, im not sure what knid of car i will get. honestly, i probaly will not get another tsx. maybe a tl, or g35, or sti....dunno yet. i have to wait and see if the car is totaled.

but, thank you all for the replys. i was hesatent to post this story, but i felt i should, plus the help of other members as well convincing me i should.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear that man... Glad that you are ok.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Racer

glad you are ok.. life is for important and priceless then any car. well.. the vehicle structure must be damaged. even they repaired you car, sell it.. get a new one.
like sunnyboy said not strong enough for another collosion. wish you the best.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Yeah..

Thanks for sharing sunnyboy, that's good stuff to know.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Advanced

I have been in a 50+ head on collision, and I'm sure you'll agree with one thing. That damn back board hurts. They keep you strapped to it for ever, until they get all the scans and things, but geez, I know its important.

Its been 4 years and thing I remember most is damn back board. Glad you're ok.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:30 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
You are alive...cars can be replaced, People can't be. Glad you are ok
Old 01-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I, like the others, are glad you are ok. Most of us have been in some sort of crash and can sympathize. I am, however (not like the others) shocked to find out about the non-performance of the seat belt and air bags. I was in a semi-low speed crash where I rear-ended a Buick in my Honda Accord. The entire front end of my Accord was crushed. My seat belt was on and worked, but the air bags also did not deploy. Thank goodness it was not a terribly serious crash, but I am left with a nagging worry that my air bags don't work so well. When I read your story, I felt that nag again. I really hope that what sunnyboy is saying is acurate beacuse in this life, you just never know. I'd like to think that when I spend $30K on a vehicle, it is more safe than fashionable...
Old 01-14-2004, 07:08 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
WOW, unbelievable story. The type of thing you only read about in the paper or see on "World's Scariest Police Chases" or Cops. I'm just glad to hear your ok.

Tip, push insurance for a write off. My 98 Integra would have been just under 60% and I pushed for a writeoff. Insurance company simply said ok, and wrote it off. I have to believe there will be more than $13,000 in damages here.

Not to be insensitive by why not get another TSX? Is it the seatbelt/airbag thing or something else?
Old 01-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

I live in Scottsdale too, where...

That is an amazing story. Glad you are OK. I live in Grayhawk, near DC Ranch, in N. Scottsdale. Where exactly did you get it?
Has Honda checked the car. I hate to talk $$ at a time like this, but you may have to go after them on those bags and belts.
I did not even hear about the Wal-Mart robbery; shows you how big the PHX area is now.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:09 PM
Advanced

i had my crash at 50mpgh head on in a 96 mustang, fortunately I hit another mustang, not a hummer. This was in 2000, and the entire from of the car vanished. The frame and engine stayed in place, but everything else disintigrated. Airbags worked, probably saved me.

I'm amazed at the crash technology
Old 01-14-2004, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow thats crazy, i'm glad you're fine enough to tell us ur story
Old 01-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Advanced

WOW!!! I am stunned but seriously im glad your ok, I dont know what I would do if I was left in that position but today I was in class and we were talking about airbags and they were saying how that every 5 years every automaker is suppost to change the whole entire airbags system because the chemicals that inflate the airbags wear off by time but I know the TSX is fresh and thats the werid thing I'm saying file a lawsuit because it could have been worse (thank god it isnt) and the seat belt issue has to be resolved but its true the body has to be a damn good impact absorber for taking the 70mph rear end collision because ill be upfront with you I dont think my coupe can take a hit at 70 and me walk out hurtless but once again Im glad your ok and be careful good luck on the car take care
Old 01-14-2004, 07:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Amazing story, glad you are ok !!! I am also in the camp of cars are replaceable and people are not .... this is why you pay insurance every month. I also think you will want them to total it. If my car had just saved me from a 70mph rear end ... I think I might be an Acura/Honda fan for life ... moreso than now

Hope you recover ok and good luck with future car options. Keep the crew here posted
Old 01-14-2004, 07:47 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

thanks everyone, its good to see how many people do care!

as far as where in phx, it happened at Chaperall & Pima...i have had numerous people tell me that it was on the news, in fact that's how my brother heard about it. he was eating dinner whatching the news, and he called my mom to see if that was me.

but, as far as filing a lawsuit against acura.....i dunno. i would rather them fix the problem before someone gets hurt worse than me, or god forbid, dies! so, if they need to recall all tsx's due to me, sorry guys....lol, but it will be for the better, trust me! windsheilds hurt like hell for about a week!

and, also, the 13k tally doesent include a new motor, and full suspension.....so, im pretty sure the damage will be about 23k.
if the car is not totalled, it will have a "WRECKED" carfax, and i will be S.O.L.!

oh, i forgot to tell you....when the car was at the police impound lot, they had to move it. they used a normal towtruck, and screwed it up even more. there words: "sorry about that, we had no choice".i was like WTF? damn 'ol cops! lol
Old 01-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Intermediate

Amazing

I gotta chime in and say you are SO lucky. Thanks for sharing your story. I got chills when I read that the guy was running from the cops when he hit you! There's been talk in the news about making a policy of NOT chasing and I AGREE! The asshole got away anyway! If the cops hadn't been chasing, he probably wouldn't have been so reckless.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

probaly not, but unfortunatly, we will never know.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:03 PM
No Longer a Poseur

Holy. Crap.

Glad you're okay. That's an amazing incident with (thankfully) a good ending.

I'm also wondering if all the safety systems did exactly what they were supposed to do....it'll be interesting to see what Honda's final assessment is. Some of those things that happened (or failed to happen) just don't sound right to me.

Well, whatever happens, car wise, after this, I'm sure you'll be thankful for the chance to even be *faced* with that decision to make. And, I'm sure if you decide against a TSX, everyone will still welcome you here on the board.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Re: Amazing

Originally posted by Evelion
I gotta chime in and say you are SO lucky. Thanks for sharing your story. I got chills when I read that the guy was running from the cops when he hit you! There's been talk in the news about making a policy of NOT chasing and I AGREE! The asshole got away anyway! If the cops hadn't been chasing, he probably wouldn't have been so reckless.
This is exactly what I was about to post about. I'm wondering if you should really take some legal action against the police department for causing this damage. I suppose this is more in the interest of the insurance company.

I'm not sure what the details are, but I have heard that in Toronto, the police are generally forbidden by policy to enter a high speed chase. Maybe there are some exceptional circumstances or special personnel and equipment for it, but it just does not happen around here. I've been told it's just a "U.S. thing..." what you see on COPS..
Old 01-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Bound for Europe

First, glad you're alive bro. Thankfully more alive than I'd imagine you to be if I was just reading this in a newspaper article or something. Thank god for that. 70mph!!? Holy shit.

The images I imagined as I read your account were intense. 70mph reads 110kmh or so in my world, so I'm still trying to comprehend how your car wouldn't be a total write off.

As for the bags, I had a crash in my dad's 92 Accord about 7 years ago. When that slow-motion-like last few seconds passed before I struck the other car, my last thought was "here comes the airbag!" Didn't happen, although I was only going 60kmh and the impact was at an angle.

Anyway, don't say goodbye so soon. We'll still like you if you drive another ride. You're an honourary member forever, dude.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by Soze75
When that slow-motion-like last few seconds passed before I struck the other car, my last thought was "here comes the airbag!" Didn't happen, although I was only going 60kmh and the impact was at an angle.

I hate that feeling! That's how you wake up from bad dreams.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:27 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
This is absolutely unbelievable - what a totally horrific experience! I have to also say that it is really amazing that you came out of that incredible impact relatively uninjured!!!

I hope that you will continue to get better and that the police will catch that robber and almost murderer really soon!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:08 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Re: Amazing

Originally posted by Evelion
I thought about that too, and I agree that the chase is probably not worth the risk to bystanders in many/most circumstances. I was on I-95 in Northern Virginia a year or so ago when I saw this guy fly by me on the shoulder in heavy traffic going at least 100mph, followed by 4 police cars. I read in the paper that he was chased by the police all the way to the VA state border, when MD police picked up the chase... anyway, DC cops got him in DC, but only after he hit like 7 other cars. I forget what the charge was, but it would have to be pretty incredible to justify that chase to me - robbing a Walmart wouldn't qualify.

Quick Reply: A Sad Good-Bye........