Replacing master brake cylinder and brake booster

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing master brake cylinder and brake booster

Hi All,

I took my TSX for service and told the technician that i was hearing a squeaking noise when i release the brake.

He told me the maser cylinder is leaking and it needs to be replaced along with the brake booster. They quoted me around $1200.00

Didn't find much info on this forum. could you please post your thoughts..

thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Instructor

Also there are many ebay listings of master cylinder and booster.

Obviously these parts are from salvaged cars. Is it worth even taking a chance on them ?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Go somewhere else and get a 2nd opinion. MC does not cause squeak. Squeak comes usually from brake bedal pivot bushing under the dash. Squeaks from wheel area can be brake pads worn out.

Mechanic may be taking advantage of your problem.

Used parts are a viable option IMO. I used dozens of thems and only had one bad part (ABS modulator) that cost me a whopping $25. However I was able to scavenge part of it to make a good unit w/ my old modulator.

good luck
Old 05-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Instructor

Hi,

Does any one know who manufactures the brake booster and mast cylinder for Acura. Are they made by honda ot by some third party.

I ordered brake booster on ebay and it seems to be in decent condition but it's made by bosch. Jsut wondering whether i got a OEM equivalent made by some other company.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mars
Hi,

Does any one know who manufactures the brake booster and mast cylinder for Acura. Are they made by honda ot by some third party.

I ordered brake booster on ebay and it seems to be in decent condition but it's made by bosch. Jsut wondering whether i got a OEM equivalent made by some other company.

Thanks
Something sounds funny here. If you have a faulty master cylinder, your brake peddle would be hitting the floor. If it isn't doing this, you probably don't have an issue with the master cylinder. I haven't heard anyone so far say there could be anything else that would cause you to need to replace this part.

Did you take your car to an Acura dealer? If not go and get a second opinion. You probably don't need to replace anything. Squeaking when braking could be that your pads are low. Take a look at them, you don't need to even take the wheel off to see the thickness.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Pro

Here is a test courtesy of "It Wasn't Me" from Honda-Tech

Functional Test

1. With the engine off, press the brake pedal several times to deplete the vacuum reservoir, then firmly press-and-hold the brake pedal for 15 seconds. If the brake pedal sinks, either the MC is internally bypassing, or there is a leak in the brake system. (mc, lines, prop valve, calipers, wheel cylinders, etc)

2. With the brake pedal pressed, start the engine. If the pedal sinks slightly, the vacuum booster is okay. However, if the brake pedal height does not vary, the check valve or booster is faulty.

3. With the engine running, lightly press the brake pedal. If the pedal sinks more than 3/8" (10mm) in three minutes, the master cylinder is faulty. (If the A/C is on, a slight change in the height of the brake pedal is normal.)
Old 05-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I took my car to two acura dealers and an independent mechanic and they all told the same thing. Even though i didn't notice any issue in my braking they said it future it might lead to break issues.

I will try the test you suggested. thanks for the info.

Also the master cylinder part numbers vary from year to year with in the same model (TSX , TL). Not sure what improvements honda made..

Thanks
Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Pro

Notice they said will lead to failures not that it has failed.

Did you buy the car new or was it used?

I haven't seen many people on these forums who said their brake booster failed.

With proper fluid changes your MC should go for a very long time. Our 99 Accord still has the original with 110k miles as I changed the fluid from the beginning every 3 years.