Power steering woes... whine, fluid down, leak...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power steering woes... whine, fluid down, leak...

Hi all!

Been trawling this site since I got my 2004 Acura TSX.

After owning this the past 18 months, (3rd owner), the Power Steering developed a very noticeable whine on a warm day stuck in stop and go traffic.
At times it went away, but it's back all the time now.
I checked the fluid level pretty quickly and with engine fully warm, the level was correct.
I can hear it coming from the PS Pump. I put a long screwdriver tip on the pump and handle to my ear, the noise is insane - smoking gun right?
Well, I thought so, was about to fully rebuild the pump myself.

Now having second thoughts. I re-checked the level as the noise is louder, and the PS fluid level is now very low. There are also many air bubbles in it when engine is running.
I also discovered a leak coming somewhere from a lower line (?) from the pump - I assume it's the line to or from the rack??

I saw Acura had a recall on the supply PS line in 2010. My best friend took this car in 2011 to have dealer do the recall. I called the dealership and they claim they did as a receipt does. But I also know this dealership are p.o.s. people and liars. They told my best friend they had replaced the hand brake line on his mother's Acura Integra back in the 80s and factually did not at all. They lied about that and fully charged his Mom. We were both outraged and have never taken our Acura's to this dealer - the only one around - as a result. I do all my own work and he goes to an independent shop.

I don't know if it's possible they never replaced the line or if it's just a new leak? Are there 'usual suspects' to look at here? I have never done any work on a power steering system in my life so far.
Not quite sure what to do here.

Thanks community!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
An easy way to tell if the line has been replaced is if there is a sleeve over it. The original part doesn't have that.

As far as your PS leak, it's most likely coming from the rack as that is somewhat of a common issue for the TSX. Only way to tell is by getting under the car and inspecting it!

Good luck
Old 10-26-2016, 10:22 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the response!
Glad to know about the sleeve vs. no sleeve for proof!
I will go check it out more closely.
Er, if it is leaking at the rack, is that just a bad connection and either a seal or line can be replaced or does the rack itself need to be replaced?
(I recall an old p.o.s. Supra Turbo I had - that was the case, you had replace the whole rack).
Old 10-30-2016, 03:37 PM
Advanced

Ok, I finally just got all up in it's business.
The leak is absolutely coming from either the "Combination return line" which is the lower metal line that goes to the rack OR it's at the connection to the PS cooler hose. It's leaking right where they join together or just a few inches away on the metal line.
It's odd but it's hard to determine the precise spot.
I dried out the line and the hose ends - it was clearly coming from that area - and started the car.
Fairly quickly the surface underneath started glistening, and after a few minutes a slow spreading pool was forming and then came air bubbles in the fluid that was spreading on the frame member below this junction.
My PS fluid in the reservoir is beneath the "low" reading by a fair bit, and PS fluid cycles back in full of bubbles in the reservoir return line.

So either that metal line failed precisely underneath the clip a few inches from the junction of the PS cooler hose, or it's trickling underneath that and dribbling below from the hose connection. There's so little clearance in there to see it's hard to tell - but at least it's not the rack! And not the PS pump either it appears which I had first thought I was definitely rebuilding it.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:03 PM
Advanced

Finally got a few bottles of Honda PS fluid.
Will be trying to fix this tomorrow hopefully.

TLer trash made a suggestion in another post with someone who's Power steering metal pipe B return was leaking:
" If that looks too daunting, you can splice in 3/8" trans cooler hose, as it's on the low pressure side"

I had been wondering about this... on part #19 in the parts diagram, the metal pipe that goes from the passenger front of engine to the back of the engine / PS rack... if I could simply eliminate the metal pipe and install a one piece hose to replace 3 parts (front and back hoses and middle metal pipe) and their 2 junctions (leak points).
So that would mean eliminate part #12, #14, and #19 in the diagram and replace with one long trans cooler hose.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Last edited by GreenMM; 11-02-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:06 PM
Advanced

parts pic, #19 part in the middle left

#19 part
Attached Thumbnails Power steering woes... whine, fluid down, leak...-screen-shot-2016-11-02-9.05.09-pm.png  
Old 11-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Advanced

Fixed!

It was the return pipe that had a very small crack in it right where the front plastic clip was.

The Acura dealer (only one around) did not have that part in stock, and I didn't want to wait 1-2 days...

And I am cheap.
Cheep cheep.

So I calls the Honda peoples, and they have several pipes in stock. In fact, while at Honda dealer 1 buying PS fluid, the parts kid mentions that although my thought about an Accord pipe switch doesn't look good, the 2004 Accord V6 does look the same on the fiche (V6 version has a PS 'cooler' like the TSX whereas the regular Accord does not).

I check them out and decide to bet big. There is one in stock at dealer #2 which is also nearby. So this is what I get:

Honda (not Acura) 2004 Accord V6 version:

Pipe B, Return (10mm)
Part Number: 53779-SDB-A00

After many hours and as many swears (more) and several, wait about 10 broken bolts later... I got the damn leaky pipe out.

Laid it next to the new Accord pipe... and it's different. But really just longer with a slight bend at the end. Not really a big deal. Well. I made it work and installed it and problem is solved. I will post a more in depth report about what I did.

For cheapies like me, the Acura part is $75 and the Honda part is $30.84
It was also available.

Last edited by GreenMM; 11-04-2016 at 09:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TSXKen (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 10:48 AM
10th Gear

Search brought me here. I have the same exact leak in my 04 SSM 6MT 66K mile car. Since I can wait for all the necessary parts, I'll go the acura parts route, after I get the failed line off the car. It looks like it is 53779-SEA-G00, around $59 at online acura parts suppliers. As I take the old line off the car, I may find that I need some additional misc parts too.

Thank you GreenMM for your 2 posts on this issue - they will give me all the info I need to do the fix.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Advanced

I'm glad to hear it could provide some help
only real tricky bit is I figuring how to drop it out the bottom without having to remove stuff.
Completely doable, just keep trying paths and you can do it!
Best of luck.

Main things related you could need are really just a few clamps if they are worn / rusty etc... They're probably cheap $1-2 ea. Take a look at them beforehand if you can.

if you didn't find this post here of mine it has good instructions how to change this and pics too:
How to write up replace power steering B pipe
https://acurazine.com/forums/first-generation-tsx-discussion-2004-2008-124/power-steering-return-line-replacement-honda-accord-part-cheat-saves-money-951344/

Last edited by GreenMM; 06-05-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:11 PM
10th Gear

Should be pretty straightforward, as I'm used to doing most of my own work on our 04 & 08. It's up on jack stands now, with the splash shield and RF wheel removed. Removing the RF wheel gives lots more access. Also, I could not easily remove the fog light blank - could not get my hand in behind there thru the grille. But, I also need to replace the lower grille molding, as it's cracked, and I have a replacement on the way. So, I next removed the radiator support cover/trim, and the front grille. Once the grill was removed, it's easy to get at and release the clips on the rear of the fog blanks. With all these fairly easy to remove items off the car, there's plenty of room to get at the leaking return pipe. I have ordered 2 each of the 2 different clips that are on my 04, some PS fluid, plus the return pipe.
I've ordered: 1-53779-SEA-G00 pipe; 2-90635-SM4-A02 clip; 2-53728-S0X-A01 clip; 2-08206-9002A PS fluid. Total here in NY from Curry Parts to my door, with shipping and tax, is around $85. That works for me.

Last edited by TSXKen; 06-05-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:08 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS Rack

Hey, I had the same issue within my 08 TSX, my R&P was the issue. The pump was actually fine. I ordered a R&P brand new off of eBay with a $20 core charge they shipped it to me for free and I installed it and no longer have that issue. The part was like $189 or $219 something to that nature but it also have like a 2-4 yr warranty. (Can't remember exactly) but I don't have that winding issue no leaks or bubbles and it's been going on the second year now
Old 08-14-2018, 08:10 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rack

I also used the synthetic foreign ps fluid with some Lucus PS fluid for the New R&P refill.