Power Steering fluid all over the place

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 05:52 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering fluid all over the place

I have power steering fluid everywhere under my hood. I checked my reservoir and it was less than half empty. I changed the O ring in July and it helped with the whine that I had earlier but i still had a mess under the hood. I just jacked the car up, turned the wheel both ways to see if the rack boot is leaking and there is no leak from there. Could it be a hose or another bad O ring? Could it be the power steering pump? I just need some help.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:47 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I just had the same issue with my 06 TSX with +135,000 miles back in Jan/17. I had a lot of P/S fluid in the area of the pump; but, it wasn't enough to leak on the ground or have a strong oil smell when the engine was hot. Acura checked it out and said I had a bad P/S pump (not sure if it was just the O rings, hose, and/or pump itself). Acura wanted $1000 for OEM or $550 for aftermarket. I found an used P/S pump on eBay motors with 70K from a 07 TSX for $101 shipped and I purchased new black/red O-rings and more P/S fluid for few more bucks (also on eBay). Took the TSX down to local shop that specializes in imports and they installed the new pump for $90 per hour labor ($150 total).

Zero issues with leaks and the new/used pump is working perfectly.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:15 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok gonna try and get a new one and replace it.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My '04 cracked a tiny crack in the return hose down deep in the engine under the belts / timing cover area. Even with it out of the car you could barely see the crack.
But it leaked - tons. Made a huge mess of fluid everywhere and eventually my PS system started howling - PS fluid was too low.
Took me some time to find that cause due to the mess everywhere and it's also in a quite hard to see spot.
You mentioned the pump and the rack areas, have you checked your pressure (sending) lines and return lines well? And mine goes to a cooler as well in the front IIRC.
Check that all out. Also our gen had a pressure PS line recall, was yours done?