Open Road Acura - swirled my car to hell!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:45 AM
gets all the crazy chicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open Road Acura - swirled my car to hell!!

Just back from the dealership...WTF! Went in for a routine oil change, asked them NOT TO WASH MY CAR BECAUSE I'VE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THEM CREATING SWIRL MARKS ALL OVER MY CAR, and what do they do?

Yup, they washed it and my car's been swirled to hell!! Of course when I told them about it they said "it doesn't look that bad." WTF? I'm told nobody has the power to make any decisions regarding "what to do" today but somebody's going to call me on Monday. I'm f'ing PISSED.

I know a lot of you guys have had this problem before, how do you guys get the message across?
Old 08-15-2009, 08:52 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Sorry to hear- The dealer I take my car for service asks if I want my car washed. Since they do an excellent job I tell them yes. Guess I am just one of the lucky few.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:26 AM

Which one do you take it to in NJ? I'm at a loss, if they can't follow simple instructions like this I wonder what else they're screwing up.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:53 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by CiViCKiDD
Which one do you take it to in NJ? I'm at a loss, if they can't follow simple instructions like this I wonder what else they're screwing up.
I take it to one in PA- Maybe you can inform them that if they wash the car against your wishes-you will not pay for the oil change. Just a suggestion.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Prior to going in for service...Write in large font "DO NOT WASH CAR" on paper, tape it on the passenger side windshield, back window, rear passenger side windows.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:59 AM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do their new and used cars look the same? What kind of car wash equipment do they use?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I go to Precision Acura in Princeton and they follow my instructions to not wash the car. They definitely look at me funny and ask if I'm sure, but I haven't had a problem with them.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Instructor

is that the acura on route 22? i took my car for service and i know i had a few quaters in the change tray, and while driving home i stopped at the gas station to put air im my tires (cause while adjusting my tire pressure they dropped it instead of adding, WTF?) so as i look for my change the quaters are gone. those assholes stole change from my car, what F'n jercks work there??? i didnt call to complain even, besides im not pissed about the dollar in change im pissed some jackoff is goin through my car lookin for stuff to steal.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dealership car washers are going through tons of cars a day. they really don't give a hoot about your car.

mine is the same ole' story. head detailer was unbelievably stupid. you can read about my escapades here: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/i-hate-dealership-715536/

i ended up going to the detailer of my choice, got the detail i wanted, and now, when i take my car in for service, i have a huge red sign that says "do not wash car!!! vacuum interior only!" the funny thing is, the last time i took my car in? not only was my interior thoroughly vacuumed, they wiped down my seats and put on some conditioner/dressing, same for the dash and dusted the car out! guess they were trying to make up for past sins?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Which one? Wayne or East Brunswick?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:33 PM

This was the one in East Brunswick (rt18); been reading reviews and the one in Wayne got pretty poor reviews as well.

It was my first time there- I used to go to the one in Ocean, but I've since changed jobs and wanted to find something less "out of the way." The oil change in Brunswick was also pretty freakin expensive, more expensive than Ocean's ($43).

I haven't received a call back from the manager, I think I'm just going to deal with corporate. I'll wait till tomorrow though to see if they even bother to get in touch with me.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought my car at Ocean, but haven't been back since. It was far away from me before, but then I moved even farther away. Bridgewater Acura is 10 minutes from me, but I still go to Precision because I really like them.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:39 PM
7th Gear

I actually really hate the guys at Ocean. The East Brunswick ones are much nicer - and they listen when I ask that my car not be washed. Sorry to hear about what happened.

Btw, the oil change is only ~$43 w/ the online coupon at the East Brunswick Acura. Just tell them that you forgot to print it out, and they'll give it to you. If you have problems, talk to Greg - he seems the coolest of the bunch.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:24 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I bought my car at Ocean, but haven't been back since. It was far away from me before, but then I moved even farther away. Bridgewater Acura is 10 minutes from me, but I still go to Precision because I really like them.
There is a acura dealer 25 miles from where I live (Stevenson). I try to only take it there to get the annual state inspection. I prefer Lehigh Valley Acura in PA. I basically have to pass Ocean, Bridgewater, and Clinton acura to get there from my mom's house in Toms River. I do not mind driving there since I love to drive my tsx.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PACman
Prior to going in for service...Write in large font "DO NOT WASH CAR" on paper, tape it on the passenger side windshield, back window, rear passenger side windows.
+1 hahah

I'd be pissed though, go in there and raise hell! then don't go back because then they will screw with your car like they did to mine
Old 08-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Instructor

I never had a issue with bridgewater acura..I have a Black TSX so swirl mark sucks...
Old 08-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I'd take it up with the head of the service department and if they don't make it right, talk to the GM of the dealership. They owe you a detail. If you do all that and they don't, print them a copy of this thread and inform them you'll spread the word for Acura owners to avoid service a that dealership.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:45 PM
it's a car-drive it

Is this the same dealer that made swirl marks on your car with the free car wash a year ago.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing happened to me at Heart Acura (upstate NY)... all they offered was a free oil change, which I haven't even claimed
Old 08-20-2009, 02:42 PM

Sorry guys been busy (had a close family member pass away), so no updates. I never got a call from the dealership so I'll call them...

nj2pa2nc- nope, that was Acura of Ocean. After I showed them (Acura of Ocean) how bad the swirls were they agreed to detail my car, provided I never get my car washed there again. I was a little confused since I didn't want them to wash my car in the first place, nor did I ever want them to wash my car, but they did right and the car looked brand new when I got it back. Never had them "accidentally" wash my car again. I work elsewhere now so going here is no longer convenient.

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
Is this the same dealer that made swirl marks on your car with the free car wash a year ago.

Last edited by CiViCKiDD; 08-20-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:43 PM

The guy who helped me out ("Q" was what he called himself) offered me a free oil change as well. I declined since that wouldn't fix the swirls.

Originally Posted by supraken
Same thing happened to me at Heart Acura (upstate NY)... all they offered was a free oil change, which I haven't even claimed
Old 08-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Instructor

sucks bro
Old 08-21-2009, 06:17 AM
it's a car-drive it

Sorry guys been busy (had a close family member pass away), so no updates. I never got a call from the dealership so I'll call them...

nj2pa2nc- nope, that was Acura of Ocean. After I showed them (Acura of Ocean) how bad the swirls were they agreed to detail my car, provided I never get my car washed there again. I was a little confused since I didn't want them to wash my car in the first place, nor did I ever want them to wash my car, but they did right and the car looked brand new when I got it back. Never had them "accidentally" wash my car again. I work elsewhere now so going here is no longer convenient.
My sincere sympathy to you for your loss.
I think you should reread the post you made on 8/25/08
Old 08-21-2009, 08:06 AM

nj2pa2nc- I just did, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say? I did have the same problem last year if that's what you're referring to. While in for a routine oil change I told these guys not to wash my car, since I've had problems in the past and they did anyway. And now my car has swirls. Did I miss something?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:44 AM
it's a car-drive it

nj2pa2nc- I just did, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say? I did have the same problem last year if that's what you're referring to. While in for a routine oil change I told these guys not to wash my car, since I've had problems in the past and they did anyway. And now my car has swirls. Did I miss something?
Are we looking at the same post- I just read it again. The dealer asked if you wanted a free car wash- You said sure. You then discovered the car had swirls. Maybe you wrote it wrong or I am reading it wrong. I try to wash my car but when I lived in NJ/PA I would take it to the car wash after snow/ice storms to get the underbody cleaned from the salt in the roads. One of the benefits of living in NC-no salted roads in the winter.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:18 AM

Ah, I gotcha. Guess I should have done a better job clarifying this.

This was one year later, at a different dealership. I told them I did NOT want a carwash (because of my previous experiences with dealer washes), they ignored my request and washed it anyway. Surprise! Car's got swirls.

I *NEVER* get my car washed; in the dead of winter after a large snowfall and the expected salt buildup, I used to handwash my car in the freezing cold. That's how anal I am (a bit overboard, I know, but it shows you where I'm coming from).
Old 08-21-2009, 09:33 AM
it's a car-drive it

This was one year later, at a different dealership. I told them I did NOT want a carwash (because of my previous experiences with dealer washes), they ignored my request and washed it anyway. Surprise! Car's got swirls.

I *NEVER* get my car washed; in the dead of winter after a large snowfall and the expected salt buildup, I used to handwash my car in the freezing cold. That's how anal I am (a bit overboard, I know, but it shows you where I'm coming from).
How do you get the salt off the underbody of the car. I am also very protective of my car. I park far away from stores and hand wash it. I then get upset when I see another rock chip-thanks to all the driving I do. The rate I am going my car will have/or very close to 100,000 miles when it turn 3 years old in Nov. (almost 90,000 now)
Old 08-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Advanced

I personally think that you shouldn't have taken your car to the dealership to begin with. That was your first big mistake.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:06 AM
it's a car-drive it

Being that way-how come you do not do your own oil changes, etc.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:10 AM

^^ I should have, but my logic was I should AT THE VERY LEAST take my car in for oil changes so they have the ability to "inspect" my car (though I know that rarely happens). Believe me, I'm strongly leaning towards doing that. I still don't know why I'm going back and forth with you on this (are you an Open Road Acura fan or something?)

Anyway, after not receiving a call back I called and spoke to the dealership's Service Manager yesterday. Seemed willing to help, so I took it in. He was polite, kept insisting that a car wash could never put swirls on paint. They wanted to try to fix this in their car wash station..they buffed the hood (not sure why just the hood, the whole car had swirls all over) and the hood looked slightly better, but still had swirls throughout. After complaining again he had the attendant wax the hood, issue remained. He said they would not pay to get it fixed by a detailer.

He even (jokingly) told me to trade my car in to get rid of the swirls.

I'll admit, he was polite throughout the whole ordeal but at the end of the day they could not fix it. With everything that's been going on, including my upcoming wedding, I don't think I have a day to dedicate to fixing this mess myself so I'll get it professionally detailed. It's unfortunate that I'm out $150-$200 due to somebody elses incompetence.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:11 AM
it's a car-drive it

^^ I should have, but my logic was I should AT THE VERY LEAST take my car in for oil changes so they have the ability to "inspect" my car (though I know that rarely happens). Believe me, I'm strongly leaning towards doing that. I still don't know why I'm going back and forth with you on this (are you an Open Road Acura fan or something?)

Anyway, after not receiving a call back I called and spoke to the dealership's Service Manager yesterday. Seemed willing to help, so I took it in. He was polite, kept insisting that a car wash could never put swirls on paint. They wanted to try to fix this in their car wash station..they buffed the hood (not sure why just the hood, the whole car had swirls all over) and the hood looked slightly better, but still had swirls throughout. After complaining again he had the attendant wax the hood, issue remained. He said they would not pay to get it fixed by a detailer.

He even (jokingly) told me to trade my car in to get rid of the swirls.

I'll admit, he was polite throughout the whole ordeal but at the end of the day they could not fix it. With everything that's been going on, including my upcoming wedding, I don't think I have a day to dedicate to fixing this mess myself so I'll get it professionally detailed. It's unfortunate that I'm out $150-$200 due to somebody elses incompetence.
Never been to Open Road Acura and really do not know where it is). My good friend is a acura service manager and I have become friends with the person that washes the cars. He treats each car as If it were his. Keep the comments coming-I love reading them. we do not always have to agree but I know what you are saying.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:16 AM
it's a car-drive it

I also have never been to Ocean Acura-the other dealer that made swirls on your car.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:58 AM
10th Gear

I just bought a used 2007 TSX w/nav from a place here in MA, and it originated and had all its work done at Open Road in Wayne NJ, there were no swirl marks....Did someone there simply not like you? lol
Old 04-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
Sorry to hear- The dealer I take my car for service asks if I want my car washed. Since they do an excellent job I tell them yes. Guess I am just one of the lucky few.
Same here, my dealer does an excellent job with car washes. Seems this is either hit or miss. Sorry to hear about your problems OP.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my dealer does a bad job of drying the car, but washing/swirl marks, not a biggie in my case
Old 05-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Cruisin'

note to self.... dont let open road east bruns wash my car haha

i went there the first day i bought my TSX to get my radio code.... dudeman said he could do it the legit way for $150 or for $50 under the table he would do it himself....

kinda think of that as a hook up..... kinda shady tho also, should be free
Old 05-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Just back from the dealership...WTF! Went in for a routine oil change, asked them NOT TO WASH MY CAR BECAUSE I'VE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THEM CREATING SWIRL MARKS ALL OVER MY CAR, and what do they do?

Yup, they washed it and my car's been swirled to hell!! Of course when I told them about it they said "it doesn't look that bad." WTF? I'm told nobody has the power to make any decisions regarding "what to do" today but somebody's going to call me on Monday. I'm f'ing PISSED.

I know a lot of you guys have had this problem before, how do you guys get the message across?
i just say screw acura if its for an oil change. Just go to a DCH Honda dealer.. they do a great job. Both Acura and Honda use the same filter and oil anyway.
Also they charge 26 bucks at Honda with the online coupon, Acura charges 35 bucks with a coupon
I got my oil change done there last time, and they only do the oil change and won't touch your car in any other way.

But I think if you did go to Acura, its best to just have your car already washed prior to the service, because they won't wash a clean car :wink:
Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I know this happened last year, but I would have disputed the charge on my credit card for whatever service you took it in for. That's some leverage when you negotiate a resolution.