New check charging system light???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 05:47 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New check charging system light???

Okay, I know there are a lot of threads about this particular light, and I have been through a ton of them today.
I'll start with this: my check emissions system light was on for two days a few weeks ago, then it was off and didn't return. Today on my way home from work, the charging system light came on. Last time this was on (a year or two ago), my car ended up dying and I had to replace the alternator. I was close to home today, so I figured I would try to make it and be ready to bail to the shoulder if anything happened.

I turned off the radio and AC and made it home. I turned the car off, then decided to start it again and see if it was there. Nothing for a couple of minutes.

My alternator was replaced about 20,000 miles ago, so I really, really hope it's not an issue with that. First one went out around 150k miles.

What else could realistically cause this light? Thank you for any help or suggestions!
Old 06-01-2017, 06:32 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay update:

The light is off and the battery, alternator, and starter all checked out fine at autozone. I feel a little better, but also wish it was just the battery so I could replace it and know what was happening.

Can the emission system and charging system lights be connected by anything? I just find it odd that both would go on and off within a few weeks of each other. Of course there's no code to read so I have no idea what either are caused by.