Need serious help, seat comfort issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:18 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need serious help, seat comfort issue

All,

Got my TSX for 2 weeks, love the car but the seat is killing me. I'm 5'10, 170lb so I guess I'm of average build, at least in US. Tried every position, high, low, seat back straight or reclined, nothing worked. Currently I let the seat back down so my upper back won't touch the seat, lumbar handle off. This sort fixes the lower back and bottom end pain but the middle section of the back is being pushed forward due to the big lump around the mid seat back. It's still uncomfortable after more than 15min.

I also tried back support, wedge pillow and all kinds of tricks, nothing.

Am I alone, any one found a solution, or a specific position? Thanks in advance.

BTW, my wife is 5'2 and she finds it uncomfortable too, driver or passenger side. It's getting to a point that I'm considering trading it in and take a bath on the loss.

Ed
Old 09-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Banned

get a good massage or two , see if that helps
Old 09-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Advanced

You aren't alone. I also have trouble finding a comfortable position with the seat, but I don't think it's as much as an issue for me as it is for you. I'm just about the same size as you (5'9" 160lbs), and I find that the lumbar support isn't correctly positioned for the lumbar area of my back. When I use the lumbar support, it tends to push just above the lumbar area. Therefore, I keep the lumbar support at a minimum. On my Integra, I always had the lumbar support set as far as it can go, and I found that very comfortable.

I've kind of gotten used to it, but on long rides, my back gets a little sore. Adjusting the way I sit in the seat periodically helps a little. I think it may also have a little to do with the seats being brand new. Once the leather is broken in a little bit and softens up, it might be a little more comfortable.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes I feel the same way. I can deal with the back of the seat. but I hate the headrest. it feels like a rock. I'm just hoping that it will break in over time. and I agree that with the lumbar support down it kills my back.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:13 AM
4th Gear

Thanks. I'll also try the wedge pillow again to make the seat back flatter.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Cruisin'

I found it a little uncomfortable at first, but it doesn't bother me now. I never use the lumber support, I find it makes it worse. I don't know what you were driving before, so that may be the most difficult transition. For me, the most comfortable car I have ever owned was an 02 3-series with the sport seats. They are very hard, but very supportive. Give the TSX some time and I think it will grow on you. I test drove the TL and found the TSX seats to be better for me. I am a little smaller than you are, but probably about the same age. Hang in there.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It took me a few months to find the right position, too, but now I'm comfortable. I just played with the positions till I found a good one. Hopefully you'll be able to find one, too. What sucks is the '04s don't have memory seats, so every time someone else drives my car, I have to adjust it back .
Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
It took me a few months to find the right position, too, but now I'm comfortable. I just played with the positions till I found a good one. Hopefully you'll be able to find one, too. What sucks is the '04s don't have memory seats, so every time someone else drives my car, I have to adjust it back .
Old 09-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I find the TSX seats extremely comfortable now, but for the first month I was constantly playing with the settings... very minor tweaks here and there, and one day I just found the perfect setting.

I find the angle adjust on the seat bottom is the most important one for releiving pressure on the lower back. I'd adjust in the following order, then tweak from there:

1. Fore/aft adjust, to set pedals at right distance. Leave some "bend" in the knees though.
2. Steering wheel tilt and telescope to coincide with #1.
3. Angle of back, and tilt of seat bottom, together. If you recline the back too much your neck will get strained. Also, the headrest isn't supposed to be a headREST, it's there for safety, not a pillow for getting comfy.
4. Lumbar. Start at minimum once the above settings are close to OK, and only increase the lumbar if it is required.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Pro

You might try this thread for more ideas & suggestions.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29143
Old 09-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It took me a while to get comfortable also, and I have a similar stature. Memory seats are you friend here if you have an 06. I would find one position I sort of liked while driving and save it. Then, if the next time I drove I wasn't as comfortable, I'd find a another setting and save it. If you don't have another regular driver like me, you can use both memory slots. Once I found 2 sort of good positions, I'd alternate between the 2 and tweak as needed. If your tweaks make you more uncomfortable, you can always restore you last saved position. I eventually found a setting that was comfortable for me, even for extended trips. It took a lot of trail and error though.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Instructor

I've had my car for about 3 weeks. I think I've gotten a good position for the seats. I have the front of the seat completely up and the rear completely down, this gives me more of a bucket seat feeling. The only problem I'm still having is the steering wheel position. I'm 6' and I have to set the steering wheel at the highest point or else I can't see the lights in the top part of the gauge cluster. the top of the steering wheel blocks my view. This is kind of annoying because then I can't rest my left hand on my lap or side panel when I'm driving since the steering wheel becomes too high. I wish they would've made the gauge cluster sit lower and angle it up a bit so I could look down at it inside of straight at it.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Racer

I felt the same way but after the seats broke in I love them.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Banned

It very much depends on what sort of a car you're coming from. I agree it takes a while to get used to the seat and I'm still playing with my power-seat controls to find the perfect spot.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Stock TSX Driver

wow, i didnt now so many people found the car so uncomfortable. i've had it for 2 months now and LOVE it. I find it extremely comfortable, and so does anyone that goes in my car with me. interesting......
Old 09-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I found my seats became more comfortable the more I sat in it. I probably sit differently than most other people, but I put my seat back almost vertical which puts the lumbar in perfect position, which I put to the max