Need brake and possibly rotor replacement for cheap re: brake shuddering

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need brake and possibly rotor replacement for cheap re: brake shuddering

2006 TSX
OEM parts

So I had the rotors resurfaced under warranty last Sept 08 with about 29k on the car. The problem has slowly been coming back and is pretty bad now (Jul 09). The last time I was in for service the stealership said they wouldn't cover it under warranty. However he also mentioned Acura came out with an updated OEM pad that should eliminate the brake deposits and all these problems with brake shuddering..

1. Has anyone on here installed the "new" Acura OEM pads this year? Is there any difference?

2. Money is really tight right now and I can't afford RacingBrake 2x rotors and 2x ET300 pads. Do you think I can get away with paying to have the OEM rotors resurfaced again and install new pads and be ok? If so, what pads should I buy if the OEM ones are still junk?

Thanks for the help
Old 07-17-2009, 03:12 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by alucardx
2006 TSX
OEM parts

So I had the rotors resurfaced under warranty last Sept 08 with about 29k on the car. The problem has slowly been coming back and is pretty bad now (Jul 09). The last time I was in for service the stealership said they wouldn't cover it under warranty. However he also mentioned Acura came out with an updated OEM pad that should eliminate the brake deposits and all these problems with brake shuddering..

1. Has anyone on here installed the "new" Acura OEM pads this year? Is there any difference?

2. Money is really tight right now and I can't afford RacingBrake 2x rotors and 2x ET300 pads. Do you think I can get away with paying to have the OEM rotors resurfaced again and install new pads and be ok? If so, what pads should I buy if the OEM ones are still junk?

Thanks for the help
I have been lucky with the brakes on my 06-still the OEM's after almost 88,000 miles.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Racer

I got Powerstop blanks and ceramic pads from Brakemotive for under $200 shipped front and rear. Very pleased so far although its only been a few weeks.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:07 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I highly recommend getting aftermarket rotors and pads. I upgraded to Power Slotted rotors and Hawk HPS Pads.

Not only does the shuddering disappear completely, its smooth braking with better stopping power.
www.tirerack.com
Old 07-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Instructor

I have Brembo Blanks and Akebono ProACT pads, similar to stock but better.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Cruisin'

I bought rotors off of ebay (Brembo) and OEM pads. Haven't installed the pads yet (tomorrow).
Old 07-19-2009, 06:38 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeC1982
I got Powerstop blanks and ceramic pads from Brakemotive for under $200 shipped front and rear. Very pleased so far although its only been a few weeks.
I highly recommend these as a great alternative as well. I've had them for a few months and they're great, and for $200 it's a great bargain! Good quality, great price, and seems to be very reliable.

OP: Check out the group-buy / vendors section in the Black Market.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Instructor

yea i hope nobody makes the mistake of paying the stealership $200 to resurface OEM crap rotors..get high performance aftermarket ones which will last lojnger and give you better stoppping power
Old 07-19-2009, 08:44 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
Picked up a set of four Centric Rotors and Akebono Street Performance pads for around 300$ from placeforbrakes.com. I was running Hawk HPS on stock rotors on a 2007. I had to get them resurfaced around 8k because of the squeaking and they started squeaking again around 20k. The new setup is a lot better than the old, highly recommended and it doesn't break the wallet
Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by curls
I highly recommend these as a great alternative as well. I've had them for a few months and they're great, and for $200 it's a great bargain! Good quality, great price, and seems to be very reliable.

OP: Check out the group-buy / vendors section in the Black Market.
i'll have to check these out.. i saw he was only advertising slotted/drilled and i worry about cracking too much and just want blanks. then i kept reading the thread and he said he can also sell zinc plated blanks.

thanks for the suggestions everyone, for those that had to get a mechanic to install them, how much did it run for brakes/rotor install?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Intermediate

I bought Brembo blanks and EBC Green stuff pads for $300. I bought them from C25A1guy
Old 08-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Racer

i'll be making a purchase in a few weeks. i'm calling around trying to get an idea of how much this is going to cost to install the parts. i'm finding places charge extra to install "after-market" parts.

about how much did you guys pay for the install if you didn't do it yourself?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Intermediate

try sales@honsport.com. He's a vendor over on . His name is dean, tell him mikey sent you
Old 08-17-2009, 10:01 PM
CR

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
So who makes the OEM Brake Rotors? Just to make sure, they are not the same as Brembo Blanks?

Any big differences in the Brembo Blanks and the Power Stop Blanks?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:08 AM
Instructor

I’m not knowledgeable about the Power Stop rotors, but three months after replacing my rear OEM rotors with Brembo blanks, I’m recommending that anyone who really cares about how his/her car looks NOT buy Brembo blanks. They rust like crazy all over.
If a rotor rusts in the area where the pads make contact, it isn’t a huge problem, because the pads will remove that rust when the brakes are applied. But when you’ve got the rotor “hat” looking like an artifact from the Titanic, it definitely detracts from the appearance of the car.
When I replace the front rotors, which I’ll be doing soon, I’m going to choose on the basis of a strong reputation for resistance to rust.
(To be “fair” to Brembo, I had read that the blanks rust, but the rusting turned out to be a lot more severe than I was anticipating.)
Old 08-18-2009, 11:40 AM
CR

That blows, I hate that!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:44 PM
5th Gear

Stay away from Raybestos rotors too if you don't like rust.
Got a recommendation for them and should have gone with my
first choice - Centric with the coated center. Hate the way the rust
looks but not changing them until I need too.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 PM
CR

So how much are these "low rust" no rust" rotors? Anything seems to be better than OEM in this case
Old 08-22-2009, 03:26 PM
9th Gear

i took my 04 TL to the stealership today and was told after 45k miles that i need new rear rotors. the front & rear pads need to be replaced, too, dude says they are down to 3mm.

their price was over a grand so i just picked the car up and get aftermarket parts instead. i live in chicago, does anyone recommend a place in the city?

what is a good site for brakes and rotors? should i get new front rotors, too, since i am putting new pads on the front? should i just get new pads and see what the next guy thinks about the rear rotor and if it really needs to be replaced?

the stealership said the rear rotors had already been serviced and couldn't be serviced again, so they have to be replaced. i doubt it, i bought this car with 17k miles and haven't had them serviced myself.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by blackbudget
i took my 04 TL to the stealership today and was told after 45k miles that i need new rear rotors. the front & rear pads need to be replaced, too, dude says they are down to 3mm.

their price was over a grand so i just picked the car up and get aftermarket parts instead. i live in chicago, does anyone recommend a place in the city?

what is a good site for brakes and rotors? should i get new front rotors, too, since i am putting new pads on the front? should i just get new pads and see what the next guy thinks about the rear rotor and if it really needs to be replaced?

the stealership said the rear rotors had already been serviced and couldn't be serviced again, so they have to be replaced. i doubt it, i bought this car with 17k miles and haven't had them serviced myself.
I'm 99% sure that Brakemotive (Powerstop) is located in a suburb of Chicago. Look 'em up on eBay or contact them through this forum as they're a vendor here.

I'm thoroughly pleased with their brakes on my TSX (pads and rotors all around).
Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Instructor

2004 with 93k miles. replaced the 4 rotors iwth brembo blanks and all pads with Hawk ceramics.

a little more dust than OEM, but not much. Better braking all around....good set up for 400 bucks or so. Had my bro-in-law install for free.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed my front brakes today with Centric C-Tek rotors and Monroes ceramic pads. Got them from amazon.com and the net cost for the set was $50 after rebate. Super cheap and they're built to OEM specs. I'll let you guys know how they feel after 15,000 miles.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Instructor

all i can say, is that you get what you pay for, malnik. I've never heard of centric C-tek (maybe because i'm not savy with auto mechanics and tuning)

but i'd never trust my acura with crappy rotors...the OEM were bad enough.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by DCyamaha
all i can say, is that you get what you pay for, malnik. I've never heard of centric C-tek (maybe because i'm not savy with auto mechanics and tuning)

but i'd never trust my acura with crappy rotors...the OEM were bad enough.
From what I've read, Centric is one of the largest OE-aftermarket companies in North America.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Instructor

well, we could argue all day that just because they're large, doesn't make them any good.

But hey, even if he gets only 15k on the rotors, thats well worth the $50.00. Lets just hope they dont fall off or something ...ha ha
Old 09-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my tsx only has 15.5 k miles right now so im not near gettin new brakes, hopefully, but if i had the money i would get brembo or rotoras, good luck
Old 09-08-2009, 05:20 PM
5th Gear

someone should create a new thread, maybe even with a poll and we can track who has had success or failure with different combinations of brake parts.

i too had my rotors resurfaced under warranty a couple years ago just to have the shudder come back now out of warranty and i really don't want to spend $250 on resurfacing. i also don't want ineffective, noisy or dusty brakes from the aftermarket
Old 09-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ihaveatsx
someone should create a new thread, maybe even with a poll and we can track who has had success or failure with different combinations of brake parts.

i too had my rotors resurfaced under warranty a couple years ago just to have the shudder come back now out of warranty and i really don't want to spend $250 on resurfacing. i also don't want ineffective, noisy or dusty brakes from the aftermarket
i hear ya, nor can i afford what most vendors on here charge.

i'll be making a purchase once my next paycheck comes through, i think i'm going to go for the powerstop's if i can get him to give me blanks instead of drilled/slotted.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:07 PM

i hear ya, nor can i afford what most vendors on here charge.

i'll be making a purchase once my next paycheck comes through, i think i'm going to go for the powerstop's if i can get him to give me blanks instead of drilled/slotted.
If you don't want to spend $250 on resurfacing (which you'd have to be a total moron to do, btw), then go call a few local parts places and get quotes on rotors. You'll probably be paying $50 per rotor, which is $200 for the car. Add in new pads (recommended!) and you're well over $300 + install if you aren't doing it yourself.

VS getting a set of rotors and pads from Powerstop or another vendor here, probably for less than $250, much better quality, and they're performance-oriented pad materials not old-granny formulations.

They are brakes. They are the only thing that will stop your car. Don't take chances because you are cheap or want to spend your money elsewhere -- fix your brakes before its a much much bigger repair bill, if you know what I mean.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by curls
If you don't want to spend $250 on resurfacing (which you'd have to be a total moron to do, btw), then go call a few local parts places and get quotes on rotors. You'll probably be paying $50 per rotor, which is $200 for the car. Add in new pads (recommended!) and you're well over $300 + install if you aren't doing it yourself.

VS getting a set of rotors and pads from Powerstop or another vendor here, probably for less than $250, much better quality, and they're performance-oriented pad materials not old-granny formulations.

They are brakes. They are the only thing that will stop your car. Don't take chances because you are cheap or want to spend your money elsewhere -- fix your brakes before its a much much bigger repair bill, if you know what I mean.
i agree curls, as i said, i'm going to probably go for the powerstops.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:34 PM
5th Gear

i am very aware of the risks involved with brake problems, that is why i asked what aftermarket brands and combos have been good to people. the only time my car has ever been worked on by someone besides myself is when i took it in a couple years ago to get the brakes resurfaced. i have always changed my own oil, brakes, axles. hell i built a rockcrawler with only the original engine and transmission on it when i was done. i love doing the work myself for a bunch of different reasons.

so, as i stated in my previous post, who has had good luck with what combos? i am not looking for the cheapest, but a balance or quality and affordability. i don't want crappy dust covered rims and squeaking like i already said. my buddy who is an acura master tech said he thinks factory is the best, everyone just needs to change their driving style and be nice to their brakes. he will do the resurfacing for 2 bills, but i am not sure i want to do it. i just want to get it fixed before it effs up my wheel bearings and whatnot.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:57 PM

I am very happy with my Powerstop set. Zero noticeable dust, great stopping power, zinc coated for rust resistance, and definitely affordable.

Most small shops will turn a rotor for like $15-$20 (off of car already). $50/rotor, even for an on-car lathe, is silly.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I have been lucky with the brakes on my 06-still the OEM's after almost 88,000 miles.
2006 here as well, no problems with the brakes but I drive like a grandpa and do a lot of engine braking.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Racer

My powerstop brakes and rotors showed up today, getting them installed Tuesday morning. Wish me luck!
Old 09-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My powerstop brakes and rotors showed up today, getting them installed Tuesday morning. Wish me luck!
Make sure the mechanic torque down the lug nuts to spec. I believe it's 90 foot pound. Otherwise, it will ruin your rotors.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by malnik
Make sure the mechanic torque down the lug nuts to spec. I believe it's 90 foot pound. Otherwise, it will ruin your rotors.
where do i find this information at? i didn't see it at powerstops site.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Racer

nevermind, thought you were referring to something specific with powerstop's and not with the TSX.

got these installed at the stealership this morning. i called them two different times checking on how much it would cost, they said $260+tax on the phone. i get there half awake, sign the invoice then see they put down $390 and im like WTF is this. the guy dicked around then went back and asked someone else and they said they were would honor the quote they told me.. thank god.

so far so good but i've only got 30miles on em. hopefully i'll remember to post back next year on how these are working.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Intermediate

where do i find this information at? i didn't see it at powerstops site.
http://www.cyforce.org/tsx/tsx-brakes.pdf