NBA Upper Body / William Shatner's Legs on a 6' body

Old 09-05-2006, 01:13 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NBA Upper Body / William Shatner's Legs on a 6' body

That's most of my story. The rest is that I've driven, sat in, a ton of cars in the 25K to 30k range. My head go bonk in the TSX, Accord EX w. leather, S40, IS 250, Audi A4, Mazda6 speed package, and I'm not going to even bother with the BMW. I have fit in the TL and Volvo S60 mostly except that I hit the handle near the driver's head. In short, if it comes with a moonroof, and all the expensive cars pretty much do I can't easily fit unless I get a really expensive car. The only exception has been the Nissan / Infiniti lines but I didn't really like the G35 sedan, I'm not sure I want to go the G35 Coupe and I know I don't want a 350Z (which I fit in by the way). Maybe the Altima?

So, here's my problem, of all the cars I've driven/sat in I liked the TSX best. It has this really nice combination of fun, features and price that just, well, works. But, I'm not going head bangin' in a car without a lot of convincing. I'll sit on 10-year old car, fix it up, and see it to 11 if I have to, but I really liked the TSX, and I want a new car.

So, I put it out to you, my short-legged-long-upper-bodied compadres, do any of you drive this car? No, I'm not talking to you 6'4" tall guys who are just 6' 4". I'm talking to people properly proportioned, like me. How is the car fit for you?

Thanks in advance and I've read the other thread on this site. I just wanted to start a new one because I didn't think that one really addressed my situation.

Thanks again in advance!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:42 AM
Banned

Old 09-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps a picture would help? Of you sitting in the TSX maybe? If you felt the car was tight and not comfortable, I'd have to say don't get it.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:43 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I’m 6’3”, 315lbs, 20 ”neck & 38” arm length in shirts, 36” inseam with pants. I fit in the TSX with only minor problems. I found with most Hondas, the auto seats do not go down as far as the manual seats. I have enough head room with about inch or two to spare. I’ve nicked my head a couple of times getting into the car when I first purchased 4 months ago. The seat is about broken-in and it feels like it has given me a little more head room. I’ve never bumped my head while driving on the moon roof or upper part of the driver’s door.

Because of the high seating position, I have a dead spot caused by the rear view mirror to my right front exactly where a car would be at a 4-way stop. I’ve gotten use to always looking under the mirror before taking off.

I’ve noticed the auto seats do not go 100% back to the preset position. There seems to be a little more adjustment if you bump the manual controls every once in a while. The back end of the TSX is a little high compared to my 97 Honda. Being taller will help rear visibility.

I’m use to driving cars without enough leg room. I just gotten use to having my legs bent instead of straight while driving. No problems around town with my legs. I have to take my shoe off and stretch my right leg between the gas/brake pedals to work out the cramp I get from long trips (+2 hours). There are not a lot of 4 door cars with enough leg room for folks over 6 feet tall.

Other than that, I can reach all controls and have very good visibility from all mirrors/windows. I can live with this car for at least 10 years (unless I get too fat).
Old 09-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Race Director

That is one of the funniest thread titles I've ever seen.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
lmao

you'll be fine.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Uh, no.

If your head hits the ceiling, you need a bigger car. Trust me, I'm 6'6".

I was all about a certain sports car (ahem), but had to sit with my neck crooked, so I couldn't get it. TSX has plenty room for me (with the drivers seat all the way down and back).
Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Instructor

move the seat back
Old 09-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I’m 6’3”, 315lbs, 20 ”neck & 38” arm length in shirts, 36” inseam with pants. I fit in the TSX with only minor problems.
My inseam is 32", maybe, slightly less in pants. If you remember the movie "A Few Good Men" where Kevin Bacon has his pants way up here? Well, I'm the anti-Kevin Bacon.

What you are doing is pushing the seat back and likely reclining it as well which puts you in an area with slightly more headroom. I tend to drive straight up (I am trying to train myself to lean back more) and because of my leg length I'm 4" further forward than you are and apparently don't get the same headroom.

It's not that I can't fit so much, rather, my hair rubs and there's not so much hair up there. If I hit a bump it ain't gonna be pretty. Many, many years ago I had a Nissan Pulsar and I took some nasty wacks on bumps.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by psykotik maniak
move the seat back
As I understand this car thing, and please verify this, my feet "do" need to touch the pedals. Or, am I incorrect in that assumption?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:30 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by VerticallyChallenged
My inseam is 32", maybe, slightly less in pants. If you remember the movie "A Few Good Men" where Kevin Bacon has his pants way up here? Well, I'm the anti-Kevin Bacon.

What you are doing is pushing the seat back and likely reclining it as well which puts you in an area with slightly more headroom. I tend to drive straight up (I am trying to train myself to lean back more) and because of my leg length I'm 4" further forward than you are and apparently don't get the same headroom.

It's not that I can't fit so much, rather, my hair rubs and there's not so much hair up there. If I hit a bump it ain't gonna be pretty. Many, many years ago I had a Nissan Pulsar and I took some nasty wacks on bumps.

Are you going to be the only driver of the car? You can always add aftermarket Recaro seat for $700-$1200 and that might give you more height (not 100% sure).

Seems like a lot of money but consider amount we spent on other mod that serve no purpose other than the “cool factor” (rear spoiler, body kits, rims, 12000K HID, slotted/cross drilled brakes, etc...). The Recaro seat will look good and serve a more practical purpose at the same time.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Because Of You

As I understand this car thing, and please verify this, my feet "do" need to touch the pedals. Or, am I incorrect in that assumption?
If it doesn't fit or it is not comfortable, pick another car.
spend your hard earned cash with a Jeep Wrangler instead.
I am sure the Jeep will fit you perfectly.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
did you lower the seat as far as it will go? If so then the amount of recline is the only other way to compensate for a long torso. Barring that, I'm afraid it will have to be another car.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm 6'7" tall and, while I have long legs, I fit in the TSX just fine when I got one from my local Acura dealership as a loaner while my TL was getting serviced. I'm guessing that our torsi are about the same length since I'm 7" taller than you. Unless you're legs are 30" long or something.

What's your pant inseam?
Old 09-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by levon1830
I'm 6'7" tall and, while I have long legs, I fit in the TSX just fine when I got one from my local Acura dealership as a loaner while my TL was getting serviced. I'm guessing that our torsi are about the same length since I'm 7" taller than you. Unless you're legs are 30" long or something.

What's your pant inseam?
32 inchish!

I take it the TL fits you ok? I played whack the "Oh Darn" handle (use your own term) in it although the reasoning for there being one on the driver's side is perhaps best left to the philosophers. Otherwise it was a good fit.

I kinda wonder if in everyday driving it would be different than the showroom. I get in there and start aiming for things with my head that maybe I'd never hit in real life driving.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:43 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude with your size.......you need a Nissan Versa!!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:30 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
wait, op, you thing that you are properly proportioned? hahahah
Old 09-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
wait, op, you thing that you are properly proportioned? hahahah

hahah that's what i was gonna say... 32" legs are REAL short... definitely not 'normal' by standards... but if you don't fit you don't fit. If you like the car that much then you can get another seat and put it in... otherwise i'd say pick a car that you fit into...

i'm 6'4" and I fit fine, it all depends on your specific body type... just get something that fits..
Old 09-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
32 inchish!

I take it the TL fits you ok? I played whack the "Oh Darn" handle (use your own term) in it although the reasoning for there being one on the driver's side is perhaps best left to the philosophers. Otherwise it was a good fit.

I kinda wonder if in everyday driving it would be different than the showroom. I get in there and start aiming for things with my head that maybe I'd never hit in real life driving.
The TL fits me just fine. I have headroom to spare and I don't even have my driver's seat as low as it can go!

Like I mentioned before, I didn't have any issues with headroom when I drove the TSX for a day. Maybe you should try going back to your Acura dealer for another test fitting of the TSX, and confirm that you had the height of the driver's seat adjusted all the way down the last time you test drove one.

EDIT: Just so you know, I have a 38" inseam.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TSXmeister
Dude with your size.......you need a Nissan Versa!!
ZOMG, I could pay cash for that puppy and wear a Stetson hat. Course I'd have to buy one.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Honda 4 life

have u tried an 02-03 TL, 04-05 Maxima, 02-06 Taurus , 02-06 Camry, new Sonata, or Millenia. just remove the door handle and call it a day.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:39 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
bunch of tall mother F**kers. jk
Old 09-05-2006, 10:55 PM
2*Much .NOT. Enough

["My head go bonk in the TSX ..."]

Me am built like you am. Am 6' 1" tall, a mere wisp of man at 280 lbs, but, from waist up, 6'5" type person, but with 32" inseams hence kinda thick legs. I was happily amazed when I first sat in the TSX, with moonroof, and found that I had mucho headroom left.

I keep my seat as low as it can go, but with the front tilted up as high as it goes, so the seat slants downwards towards the back. Seat is moved backwards almost but not quite all the way. Plenty room for me. And my orangutan ... And thirty-seven bushels of bloody carp entrails that I carry around for entertainment value.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by nagidizy

Me am built like you am. Am 6' 1" tall, a mere wisp of man at 280 lbs, but, from waist up, 6'5" type person, but with 32" inseams hence kinda thick legs. I was happily amazed when I first sat in the TSX, with moonroof, and found that I had mucho headroom left.

I keep my seat as low as it can go, but with the front tilted up as high as it goes, so the seat slants downwards towards the back. Seat is moved backwards almost but not quite all the way. Plenty room for me. And my orangutan ... And thirty-seven bushels of bloody carp entrails that I carry around for entertainment value.
I'll give that a try as your build is similar to mine.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lower the rear of the seat more. Short legs + arms on a tall body = production car racing driver build.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:56 AM
The Power of a Grill

does he sit up front and pretend to drive and then do some chunking at the cops when he/you get pulled over?

classic
Old 09-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

And thirty-seven bushels of bloody carp entrails that I carry around for entertainment value.
You never know when you might need to throw something at other drivers...
Old 09-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Cruisin'

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. It's been helpful!

I went to a different dealership tonight, had the guy set the seat, and there was plenty of room. I suspect a bunch of things were going on.

1) Self-fulfilling prophecy. I began to think I couldn't fit and found ways to not fit.

2) Lazy salespeople. Any smart salesman could have said "let me set the seat and I'd probably have fit". None did that on their own but then #1 may have been working in force.

3) The local Acura guy was probably trying to upsell me. He spent an awful lot of time trying to move me to a TL, MDX or even a CL. Possibly the other guy just got lucky because I told him to set the seat and the local guy didn't, but whatever.

We'll see how it all works out in the next few days.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I've found a pic of nagidizy
Old 09-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Advanced

Try the WRX. There's plenty of head room in the Suby.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Pro

I know of a guy who car shopped about a half year ago. Don't know his stats, but standing next to me, he was easily a foot taller and twice my weight or more. He bought a MazdaSpeed6 without a sunroof....everything else worth considering came with sunroofs standard.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Suzuka Master

NBA Upper Body / William Shatner's Legs on a 6' body....

...No, I'm not talking to you 6'4" tall guys who are just 6' 4". I'm talking to people properly proportioned, like me....

Move the seat DOWN?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:33 AM
The Power of a Grill

Originally Posted by jlukja
I think I've found a pic of nagidizy
i just saw that movie today! freaky
Old 09-09-2006, 03:05 AM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Bah. I'm 5'11 3/4" and have a 30" inseam, and a freakishly long torso. I fit FINE in the TSX. I recline the seat a couple notches, and that gives me around 4" of headroom. I probably slouch a little too. 6' and 32" inseam should be fine.

I wish all my shirts fit as well as the TSX does.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Cruisin'

Well, the verdict is in, this car is off the list.

I tried and tried and tried but it just won't work. It's not just the roof but I felt squished next to the door too. My arm kept hitting in the wrong place and my neck was sore because I'd reclined the seat. My neck has taken some abuse over the years.

I got in a Mazda 6 Speed, without moonroof and fit perfectly. I also made an Acura TL work even if it took some tweaking. Given the rebate situation on the Mazda I might be able to get a sport version in the low 20's so it's a toss up at the moment despite the superiority of the TL.

The TSX is a fun drive, even the automatic, but it just won't work.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.