To Navi Or Not To Navi, That Is The Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 07:35 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To Navi Or Not To Navi, That Is The Question

We had countless threads on this topic on the other side, so why not start a few here.

My position is the navi is invaluable, and becomes something you can't live without once you have it. What do you think?
Old 07-08-2003, 08:06 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I test drove a TSX with Navi. There is no way I would get a car without this option. I thought it was very useful. On top of that, it is very cool. I like the combination of the voice recognition and the many other functions you can use to adjust different settings in the car.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:10 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I've owned 3 Acura's

First one WITHOUT...

Last 2 with.

IT IS THE BEST FEATURE IN MY CAR. I couldn't live without it... I absolutely LOVE everything about having a navi.

I will never own a car without at LEAST an aftermarket nav
Old 07-08-2003, 11:00 AM
Instructor

This is my first car with navi and I'm SO glad that I decided on getting it. I can't live without it anymore. I'll never buy a car without it in the future. It's so awesome!
Old 07-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Racer

if you don't get it now... you'll regret it later.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

this is also my first car with NAVI and I love it!!! In fact the very first day I had my car, I used it...

They were repaving a road near me and I didn't want to drive through all the asphalt mess, so I turned down a side street. I was trying to figure out how I was going to make it back to the main road, when I realized I had the NAVI. I was able to use it to find my way back with no effort at all... I will never own a another car without one, plus the voice activation rocks!
Old 07-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my navi.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Cruisin'

I remember hearing things about tha Navi locking up occasionally, is that a thing of the past?
Old 07-08-2003, 03:30 PM
Intermediate

mine has never locked up in the 2 weeks I have had it
Old 07-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Instructor

I have a few questions for Navi owners. I don't like the way it combines the climate control/radio functions into the screen, I like having separate controls for each. If you are NOT using the voice commands, how challenging is it using the screen to operate the climate/radio? How many extra steps are there? Also, do you find yourself watching the screen instead of watching the road? I am interested with the Navi, but also I don't need anything else to distract me while driving. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Stuck in Purgatory

I am still waiting for my Navi TSX, but the one I test drove also had the Navi. The best I could say is that I treated the Nav. screen just like a rear-view or side-view mirror - I'd occasionally glance at it for a quick check, but my eyes never became "glued" to the screen. I am not sure whether that is just me, or if the other Nav. drivers do the same thing.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:54 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by JeffPhx
I have a few questions for Navi owners. I don't like the way it combines the climate control/radio functions into the screen, I like having separate controls for each. If you are NOT using the voice commands, how challenging is it using the screen to operate the climate/radio? How many extra steps are there? Also, do you find yourself watching the screen instead of watching the road? I am interested with the Navi, but also I don't need anything else to distract me while driving. Thanks for your input.
It isn't challenging at all. In fact I use the controls way more than I use voice commands. As far as the CD player/radio goes most of the controls you need (volume, change track/station/change from CD/AM/FM/FM2 etc...) are on the steering wheel so you don't really have to touch the screen very much. As far as the climate, well I just set it to AUTO and pick my temp and forget about it. But if you insist on playing with the fan speed and vents etc... then all you have to do it press the A/C button and then press what you want on the display.

As I have said before, I love the NAVI. I has helped me find places much easier and helped me learn quicker ways or different ways to get to my destinations. All my future cars will have NAVI, no question.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:05 PM
SIN
Cruisin'

$2000 seems like alot of money. Can't you just buy a laptop with gps and navi? How about after maket navi, like a after maket stero which is better then stock?
Old 07-08-2003, 06:44 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes there are aftermarket NAVI's. In fact Alpine who makes the NAVI for the TSX also sells it aftermarket (PowerNAV I think it is called). The one that comes with the TSX is currently one of the most sophisticated NAVI's you can get.

I guess a laptop is an option, but that would be way too much a pain to deal with. Where are you going to put the laptop? Especially if you have a passenger with you? Not to mention you have to mess with booting the laptop, logging in and then running the software. When you stop and park somewhere you have to take the laptop with you or put it in the trunk. No way, too much hassle. With the built in NAVI in the TSX it is ready to go a short time after starting the car.

There are also small GPS's like the ones Garmin makes but the problem with those IMO is that the screens are too small.

There is a lot to be said about a well intergrated system like the NAVI that is available with the TSX. The screen is large and in the dash and in a location where you don't have to have your eyes off the road very long. The NAVI gives you turn by turn voice directions as well so you can keep your eyes on the road. Plus it has a built in database for finding ATM's, Hotels, gas stations, shopping etc... Plus it gives you voice control over the radio/cd player and climate controls as well as the NAVI functions.

Yeah it is expensive, but well worth it if you spend a lot of time on the road and some decent amount of time travelling.

I guess you have to consider how much driving and travelling you are going to do and if you can afford it or not.

$2000 is a lot of money, but not so bad when you spread it out over 5 years.

For those who can afford it though I think it is definately worth it.

Old 07-08-2003, 07:08 PM
TSX Lover

Two words: voice recognition
Old 07-08-2003, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Thanks George!! I didn't think about the radio controls on the steering wheel even though I use them all the time on my current car. Maybe it is time for a Navi test drive?