Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
wonder whatever happened-2 posts from OP and then nothing
Maybe he "frauded" it and got caught and is locked up now : P
Old 08-21-2011, 10:02 AM
2008 Acura TSX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Simba91102

Maybe he did what many here may do the next time around..... he moved on. I fear Honda has lost its' way. Look at the most recent gens. of the TSX, TL, RL, the ZDX (an answer to question that no one asked), the new Civic (a "don't buy" from Consumer Reports, among others). I have owned a number of Honda products and it pains me to see much of what they're selling now. There are so many nice new cars out there that it's tough to defend owner loyalty. I hope that soon Honda will be able say that there's a new sheriff in town, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,491 Posts
Damn crazy I need to get the recall done on my car as soon as it is road worthy again. That is some scary shit there.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Racer

damn........................
Old 08-25-2011, 04:52 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Simba may be right...with no replacement for the TSX in sight (the 2nd gen model is too soft, and weirdly styled inside and out to my eyes) and nothing in the Honda fold either, I caught myself eyeing the new Scion FS-R.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe he did what many here may do the next time around..... he moved on. I fear Honda has lost its' way. Look at the most recent gens. of the TSX, TL, RL, the ZDX (an answer to question that no one asked), the new Civic (a "don't buy" from Consumer Reports, among others). I have owned a number of Honda products and it pains me to see much of what they're selling now. There are so many nice new cars out there that it's tough to defend owner loyalty. I hope that soon Honda will be able say that there's a new sheriff in town, but I'm not holding my breath.
The new honda civic got a "don't buy" from consumer reports??? What were the reasons given for the negative review?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
The new honda civic got a "don't buy" from consumer reports??? What were the reasons given for the negative review?
CR and Car & Driver had complaints about cheap-looking dashboard materials and controls. (Can't disagree with that.) The knobs for the HVAC and radio, etc. are a step down from what was already not aesthetically competitive...and they picked the exact wrong time to do that, with the new Hyundai Elantra, Chevy Cruze and Ford Focus all significantly raising the bar in their respective interiors.

Otherwise, they thought the car was rough riding and did not handle very well. (Handling is not typically a Honda complaint area and I personally think they may have had a bad test car or a tough-to-please test driver) But again, the car is not a big leap leap forward from the last model, (a well--received car)...like the Focus and Elantra/Cruze are in almost every measurable way...it was a miscalculation on Honda's part.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 08-25-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Yea, even Car and Driver is down on the Civic Si...Honda needs a quick response on this. The Civic is their bread and butter, and hooks people on Hondas. A weak Civic could hurt them for decades.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:50 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen to that. I've been waving the Honda flag for about 12 years. With this transmission issue that I'm having I doubt that I will get another Honda/Acura. I will keep my EM1 though.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
I own a 2012 civic EX-L. It's a compact car and it's not the jump that Hyundai, Ford, and Chevy had to make. It was a conservative move for Honda but they already had a success. The Hyundai came out with some flash but handling on these have been questioned in some reviews. For a compact the car is pretty nice. Yes it's new but no issues and it feels like a solid car. That's all I wanted as one of my daughters will end up with the car.

Last I don't look at Consumer Reports as car experts. I think the media played this review up because it was Honda. It was 1 person 1 review out of many.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sixwhip14
Amen to that. I've been waving the Honda flag for about 12 years. With this transmission issue that I'm having I doubt that I will get another Honda/Acura. I will keep my EM1 though.
I'm the same as you. I'll be keeping my Integra but the tsx will be traded in for an Audi.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by texasm3
I own a 2012 civic EX-L. It's a compact car and it's not the jump that Hyundai, Ford, and Chevy had to make. It was a conservative move for Honda but they already had a success. The Hyundai came out with some flash but handling on these have been questioned in some reviews. For a compact the car is pretty nice. Yes it's new but no issues and it feels like a solid car. That's all I wanted as one of my daughters will end up with the car.

Last I don't look at Consumer Reports as car experts. I think the media played this review up because it was Honda. It was 1 person 1 review out of many.
Glad to hear this. (And I agree about Consumer Reports not being car experts.) I'm sure the new Civic is actually a fine car. It is after all, essentially a refresh of the car that won 2006 "Car of the Year" awards. And other than not having the same jump to flashy interiors that Hyundai & Ford took recently, I think over the long term, it is still a wiser buy.

The superior driving dynamics are still there -- as is the legendary reliability. (Can't yet say that about Hyundai, Ford & Chevy.) --For that reason, a great car to pass down to your daughter in a few years, too.

Hopefully though, Honda will begin to see that more attention to interior design might be helpful in bringing in new customers...especially younger ones who know nothing about Hondas and their aforementioned qualities.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 08-27-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Boulder TSX
Glad to hear this. (And I agree about Consumer Reports not being car experts.) I'm sure the new Civic is actually a fine car. It is after all, essentially a refresh of the car that won 2006 "Car of the Year" awards. And other than not having the same jump to flashy interiors that Hyundai & Ford took recently, I think over the long term, it is still a wiser buy.

The superior driving dynamics are still there -- as is the legendary reliability. (Can't yet say that about Hyundai, Ford & Chevy.) --For that reason, a great car to pass down to your daughter in a few years, too.

Hopefully though, Honda will begin to see that more attention to interior design might be helpful in bringing in new customers...especially younger ones who know nothing about Hondas and their aforementioned qualities.
I don't doubt that the Civic is a fine car, and it was never my intention to imply otherwise. The reasons it has been poorly reviewed by many are covered in an earlier post so I won't repeat them. That said, it's seems to me that the new model just longer has the look that separated the Civic (and in the past, all Honda models) from their closest competitors. The new Civic looks too much like a Corolla or a Nissan (whatever their model in that market is)(minor thread sidebar here; I've been a huge car guy my whole life, and the fact that Nissan's Civic competitor isn't at the tip of my tongue should say something to Nissan)(and it's not congratulations). I agree that Consumers Union is not an expert on automobiles, though their testing procedures are pretty exhaustive and relatively fair. The ironic thing is, that since that's the case (CR is no expert), it should be even more worrisome that their opinion is that Honda has pushed the car too far down market.

The bottom line for me is, I've owned Civics in the past, and right up until the introduction of the present model, they were always on my short list (I really the liked the last Si, but alas it's not really a highway car). The few new ones I've seen have been enough to completely remove the Civic (any model) from consideration. And that's too bad.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by texasm3

I think this is the first year that Consumer Reports did not give an excellent review on a honda. I owned a 05 Honda Civic ex-se and a 05 Hyundai Elantra GT, bought new in Nov. 04. Traded the civic for the tsx. It had just over 36,000 miles. It was a P.O.S.-one annoying problem after another. We traded the elantra in July '10 for a '11 sonata. It had 100,000+problem free miles. My daughter's 1st car was a 02 Elantra. (she made the car payments, maintenance, etc. ) In 04 she was driving too fast, failed to negotiate a sharp turn and hit a tree head-on. The car was totaled but she had no injuries.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
3rd Gear

UPDATE:

I finally got the final report last Thursday of the cause and origin of the fire. Drumroll please.......recalled power steering hose. Of which the dealership replaced a year before the fire. My insurance is in the process of going after the dealership/corporate. Acura corporate refused secondary inspection which leads me to believe they knew they ware liable. After how I was treated by the service department, I hope that someone is nailed to the wall.
I jumped the Acura ship, this being my third Acura in less than 5 years. My first Integra was great, but every subsequent model has been of lesser build quality and reliability. While I enjoyed the TSX, it nearly killing me was enough. Not to mention I would still have to deal with the same dealership that treated me so terribly.
Moral of the story: Don't put your life in jeopardy just because your service manager thinks he knows what he is doing.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Would it be possible for someone to take a picture of or describe how the PS hose is supposed to look after the recall has been applied?

I bought a Pre-owned TSX that had the recall done before I purchased and just want to make sure I'm ok.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dominik331
Would it be possible for someone to take a picture of or describe how the PS hose is supposed to look after the recall has been applied?

I bought a Pre-owned TSX that had the recall done before I purchased and just want to make sure I'm ok.
Based on the description I got from another thread, I can confirm my was done accordingly.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 PM
10th Gear

damn atleast you are safe
Old 10-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by BenSwelll
UPDATE:

I finally got the final report last Thursday of the cause and origin of the fire. Drumroll please.......recalled power steering hose. Of which the dealership replaced a year before the fire. My insurance is in the process of going after the dealership/corporate. Acura corporate refused secondary inspection which leads me to believe they knew they ware liable. After how I was treated by the service department, I hope that someone is nailed to the wall.
I jumped the Acura ship, this being my third Acura in less than 5 years. My first Integra was great, but every subsequent model has been of lesser build quality and reliability. While I enjoyed the TSX, it nearly killing me was enough. Not to mention I would still have to deal with the same dealership that treated me so terribly.
Moral of the story: Don't put your life in jeopardy just because your service manager thinks he knows what he is doing.
Certainly can't blame you for moving to a different brand, but it seems another moral of the story should be that this could have happened to any car, and faulty service is not brand specific. It seems your quarrel would be with the dealer and not with Honda. I will assume that this is an isolated incident since yours is the only report of a fire resulting from the PS recall (or the PS period) that I remember seeing here (or anywhere else).
Old 10-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BenSwelll
UPDATE:

I finally got the final report last Thursday of the cause and origin of the fire. Drumroll please.......recalled power steering hose. Of which the dealership replaced a year before the fire. ....
Thanks for following up ... your pic just about made me cry (but I'm grateful you posted it). I can empathize with your next car choice, something like this impacts on head and heart in so many ways, I'd be amazed if you got right back into another Acura. I got the PSH recall done immediately, and have had the car at the track in relatively hot weather, so I would suspect that your recall wasn't done right (that's a wild, unfounded guess of course). Or something else was the root cause and the PSH was the resulting catastrophic failure (cause of fire). We'll never know.

I agree with Simba, Honda/Acura have been doing some goofy @*%& lately, the potato peeler was just a visible symptom. The lack of an RSX (which one review called "Champagne performance on a beer budget") or equivalent sport coupe in the lineup shows how far from the tree the Acura strategists have fallen. A successor to the NSX (rumored recently to sell between $80K and $100k) does nothing for Acura with the mainstream market. That, and corporate response to the CL9's issues (center console lighting, air conditioning compressor failures) and CU2's issues (knocking, self-ejecting windscreen molding) illustrates a general disregard for customers that other makers don't share. In this market, that's STUPID.

Still, it's a damn shame what happened to yours ... IMHO the K24A2 is a great engine, and I've had some instructors driving fancier cars complement mine on the "nice pull" and handling (granted, Hondata, A-spec dampers and Progress RSB are part of the equation). I certainly hope this was an isolated incident.

Here's wishing you many fun and safe miles in your replacement vehicle....