Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

manual vs automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 02:03 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manual vs automatic

LOTS OF ADVICE NEEDED!!!

I am 21, and yes still need the help of the old folks to buy the car. Just finance, not really pay for. Then there is the rest of my family + my girlfriend which is really against a manual. THey keep claiming that they're a hassle to drive and when you're on a hill and traffic..blah..blah..blah. But really everyone just wants to drive it sometimes too (evil people). Everyone wants me to get an automatic. Should I wait two years so I can do whatever the hell I want and get the manual or should I get the automatic now? I've been wanting to buy a car for a looooooooooong time.

I've driven a car with the sports shift thing (excuse me if I named it wrong), in VW passat and Acura TL, it's pretty cool. But I hate the fact that I have to look down to see what gear I'm on. How's that in the TSX?

WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!????? HELP!!!
Old 07-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Racer

In the tsx the sport shift has a little box in the instrument cluster that tells you what gear you're in.

When I was buying my tsx I HAD to have the manual. I didn't want the automatic. I feel that when I drive an auto the car is "driving me" and i'm not driving the car. Sure, it can be a hassle, but i've never regretted getting the stick. It's really in your hands.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:21 AM
Having Fun?

Yeah I regret not holding out for a manual TL. My previous car was dieing so I really didn't have a choice of waiting.

Sport Shift doesn't come close to the control, precision, and general enjoyment that a stick shift offers. It's one of those things that you either love or hate. If you hate stop & go in a manual, don't get it, because you will only continue to hate it more.

On the other hand if you like to drive spirited with as much control over your destiny, hold out for that manual!
Old 07-06-2003, 01:56 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Well since you do need help in your purchase I guess you may have to cater to the needs of your family also. The AT really is not that bad.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Give up man, you have to keep your girlfiend :-* happy!
Old 07-06-2003, 02:18 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally posted by rzee
Give up man, you have to keep your girlfiend :-* happy!
His girlfriend isn't wearing his ring. Man, do what YOU want to do! She'll be alright!

Old 07-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Pro

Thanks for all your replies. Stopped by the dealer to see the TSX up close (FINALLY). VERY VERY VERY NICE!!!! Still debating over the MT or AT. Is there any performance loss in the AT? Besides the thrill or driving? Like pickup or coming off the line?
Old 07-06-2003, 09:08 PM
TSX, baby!

The TSX's Automatic transmission is way different from the TL's. The latency between shifts is about 40% lower and the gas mileage is actually *BETTER* for the Auto VS. the Manual. It's really up to you. My TSX will be the first Automatic car that I've driven in a while, but the response time from the Automatic, the smoothness, the better fuel economy, and the fact that I think the gated shifter makes the center look nicer was enough to make me give up the extra bit of control the Manual gives. Hope that helps.

michael.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:16 PM
Teh seX

i also am in the same predicament wondering whether I should purchase the AT or Manual tranny... hmm.... i dont know.. ohh yea and the AT styling looks better.. IMO
Old 07-06-2003, 10:53 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Y2K4 TSX
The TSX's Automatic transmission is way different from the TL's. The latency between shifts is about 40% lower and the gas mileage is actually *BETTER* for the Auto VS. the Manual.
michael.
Yea, that's the one thing that bothers me about the AT with sports shift, the latency. I was driving a TL, downshifted and stepped on it.....what happened was the tranny downshifted for me to 4, and from my shift, it actually went down to 3!!! I was like, damn this sucks! I guess I will go test drive both to see what I like. Again, I live in the city so the traffic thing is sort of making me want a AT. Still debating, need more feedback.

Thanks to everyone that has replied.