knock sensor

Old 03-07-2019, 11:54 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
knock sensor

I had my motor mounts changed along with my air intake whose as well as my control arm. I picked my car up from the repair shop after they had the car for a week, my check engine light came on 5min after leaving the shop. I had it checked and the code said it was the knock sensor. i informed the repair guy and he is stating that they didnt could not have caused this by replacing the motor mounts and I'm pretty sure that was the cause all I need to know is how can I explain to him that it very well could happen and they not know. he showed me a picture of a honda crv engine as if I'm an idiot..I hate to be played and ripped off because I'm a woman but I want to let this guy know I'm very informed and aware that he and his team caused this and nothing else! PLEASE HELP! IM really considering seeing these guys as this is horrible!
Old 03-08-2019, 02:30 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I assume he was showing you the layout of the engine components merely to demonstrate that the knock sensor is nowhere near any of the parts that were replaced.

My guess is the knock sensor just happened to be on its way out and the timing makes them look bad. The only way I can think of them maliciously causing that would be taking out your knock sensor and damaging it, or swapping it out with a faulty one - both scenarios very unlikely. I believe either would cause a fault code immediately, not 5 minutes later.

If your mounts (plural) were bad, as well as control arm, that excessive vibration could have damaged the knock sensor.

Also, it would be helpful to know how many miles and the model year of your CRV. I recommend finding a reputable shop and building a good relationship with them. Don't assume the worst unless you can definitively prove it. A little strange that they took a week to do that amount of work though.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:05 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
I assume he was showing you the layout of the engine components merely to demonstrate that the knock sensor is nowhere near any of the parts that were replaced.

My guess is the knock sensor just happened to be on its way out and the timing makes them look bad. The only way I can think of them maliciously causing that would be taking out your knock sensor and damaging it, or swapping it out with a faulty one - both scenarios very unlikely. I believe either would cause a fault code immediately, not 5 minutes later.

If your mounts (plural) were bad, as well as control arm, that excessive vibration could have damaged the knock sensor.

Also, it would be helpful to know how many miles and the model year of your CRV. I recommend finding a reputable shop and building a good relationship with them. Don't assume the worst unless you can definitively prove it. A little strange that they took a week to do that amount of work though.
I dont have a crv I have a 2004 acura tsx and the light came on right after I left the parking lot, my problem as soon as I started the car up it was pinning when I asked them about it they didnt know the motor was making that noise and who ever fixed wasnt there just bad business all the way around.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:54 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Knock sensor is under the intake manifold. Unlikely motor mount replacement damaged the sensor. However physical damage (broken stem) would tell. Insist on seeing the removed sensor.

good luck
Old 03-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Latoya Minor
I dont have a crv I have a 2004 acura tsx
Originally Posted by Costco

You may have missed the point. He was likely just showing you the layout of a regular engine. The knock sensor on most engines is in about the same place.

I'm not sure how much a shop would charge to replace a knock sensor. I don't see it being much since the sensor itself is only about $20 and there's not a ton of labor. It's just unscrewing it from the engine block and screwing a new one in. The Intake manifold will need to be removed but that's not a super hard job. I'd be surprised if it cost more than $200 total. For a DIY'er on this forum that has even an intermediate amount of mechanic knowledge, it would probably be a 1 hour job.

Either way, I'd go that route first. Like the others said, it would be very difficult to damage a knock sensor when doing the work you described. In a 15 year old car, it's not unheard of for the knock sensor to go bad.