Just bought a 04 TSX 6MT, never been serviced - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 04 TSX 6MT, never been serviced - recommendations?

Hi All,

I am a proud owner of 04 TSX Non-Navi 6MT that has 71K miles on it and has never been serviced beyond brake pads, oil changes, and new tires. I am wondering what scheduled maintenance the previous owner missed that I should get done. Also, is this something I could just give a list to local mechanic and have him do it, or is there an extra benefit to having Acura do it?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not exactly very car savvy.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:05 AM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
One easy thing to do (if you have basic tools) is jack the car and support it and crawl around under it. Check the boots on the front driveshafts are not cracked at either end, check the exhaust isn't loose or hanging anywhere, look for places where hoses might be rubbing, look for fluid stains where it may have been dripping, etc. It's an easy way to get a little more comfortable with the car.

Couple of things that are easy DIY (search for each topic on how to do and where to get):

Sounds stupid, but check the lights (easiest way to do it solo is find a store with a glass front and use it to check'em out, if you got a helper, you can figure that one out)

Pollen Filter change

Air Filter change

Check power steering fliud level/condition

An easy pair at Autozone:

Check battery condition

Have the car read for any stored diagnostic codes (it is possible codes are stored without lighting an idiot light, and any codes will clue you into areas to look at)

Some is mechanic/dealer:

Transmission fluid change

Brake fluid change and brake system check

Coolant change

Just off the top of my head...hope it helps.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you know fo a good independant mechanic or can get recommendations on one from someone you trust, it might be worth it to protect your investment a bit by bringing it there for a full check-up.

But as DuckDodgers said, there are a number of very easy DIY things to do that frankly you should be able to do if you can read a manual, or even better, read this site. Air filter, pollen filter, check oil & coolant & power steering & brake fluid levels, inspect windshield for chips that can be filled in before they crack in colder or wetter weather, check steering and suspension for rips/tears/grease on the boots, or badly cracked bushings, etc.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:16 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
The manual lists things that should be done. If you didn't get manuals, they're online ... and a few of us have them backed up on our hard drives.

Oh and ... go whack the first owner in the shins. Not doing scheduled recommended service on a nice car like this is criminal.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by davidspalding
The manual lists things that should be done. If you didn't get manuals, they're online ... and a few of us have them backed up on our hard drives.

Oh and ... go whack the first owner in the shins. Not doing scheduled recommended service on a nice car like this is criminal.
Thanks for all the tips everyone. Good call on the online manuals, I was able to track down a list on the edumunds site as well.

I love this car!
Old 10-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
If it were me (and I'm not the most mechanically inclined, and a bit paranoid about prior users of a used car...), I would:

- get the oil changed
- replace the pollen filter if needed (easy DIY)
- replace the engine filter if needed (easy DIY)
- probably then go get a 60K service at a dealership, minus those three things. Yes, they'll hit you for $3-400 no doubt, but my humble opinion is that since I'm not a trained professional, sometimes I have to pay for one.

But that's just me - I'd be after some peace of mind to know where the car stood and what my next maintenance should be. Especially if the previous owner was that neglectful.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:45 PM

+1

And switch to synthetic oil.

And R&R brake, coolant, and transmission fluid unless the service manager can find it was done on the car.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Since you have an '04, consider opening a savings account with $1200-1500. This will be your "when your a/c fails" fund...
Old 10-17-2009, 06:08 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt04TSX
Hi All,

I am a proud owner of 04 TSX Non-Navi 6MT that has 71K miles on it and has never been serviced beyond brake pads, oil changes, and new tires. I am wondering what scheduled maintenance the previous owner missed that I should get done. Also, is this something I could just give a list to local mechanic and have him do it, or is there an extra benefit to having Acura do it?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not exactly very car savvy.
I own a 06 tsx and have had all the maintenance done by Honda/acura dealers. In fact I had it serviced 3 days ago-oil/filter change and tire rotation/balance. They also checked the car out and it passed with flying colors. The car still has the original brakes. Basically the services I have done regularly are the oil/filter changes, tire rotation/balance and the cabin/pollen filter change. Excellent running car after almost 94,000 miles.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:32 PM
it's a car-drive it

actually your title is misleading-your tsx has been serviced.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Good list there...really these things don't need much! Save $ in case the AC or radio display goes out on you.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Intermediate

from a couple of story i have read about the dealership relating to oil, maintnence check and damageing body work and acura didnt take the fall for it, never calling me back to set up an appointment....... if it is simple work diy all they check for maintnence is if everything is running ok mines is at 80k so im sure yours will do just fine
Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 AM
初めまして

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm for all with what everyone is saying here, but start with the simple DIY to save time and money that you can add when taking the car to either the dealer or a recommended shop.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:03 AM

After the easy DIY stuff (filters, oil) to get it clean, ASK your dealer if they can find any service records. If it was serviced at a dealer, I think any dealer can look that up, can't they?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
^ If it was done at Honda/Acura, they should.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:54 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by davidspalding
After the easy DIY stuff (filters, oil) to get it clean, ASK your dealer if they can find any service records. If it was serviced at a dealer, I think any dealer can look that up, can't they?
only warranty work can be looked up by any dealer-regular maintenance such as oil changes, etc is kept only by the dealer that did that service.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:18 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Hey guys, i'm in a similar situation. I lost my helm's technical manual and i want to do some preventative maintenance to keep my car running well. I have high mileage at 240k miles and nothing has been done lately. So i want to change the spark plugs, air filter, and anything else i can do myself. But i don't have the manual anymore. Can i get it online somewhere?

I plan to get my a/c flushed and recharged next week from a local mechanic. I hope nothing happens in the mean time.

Anyone have the manual? Any easy stuff i can do myself? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
Hey guys, i'm in a similar situation. I lost my helm's technical manual and i want to do some preventative maintenance to keep my car running well. I have high mileage at 240k miles and nothing has been done lately. So i want to change the spark plugs, air filter, and anything else i can do myself. But i don't have the manual anymore. Can i get it online somewhere?

I plan to get my a/c flushed and recharged next week from a local mechanic. I hope nothing happens in the mean time.

Anyone have the manual? Any easy stuff i can do myself? Thanks.
Regarding the A/C "flush and recharge", that's a total waste of money, IMO. The refrigerant in an A/C system (car, industrial, or household) is basically a lifetime gas. The only reason to ever open the system is if it got contaminated from a worn seal, or if the gas leaked out because of a leak/cracked line/damaged seal/compressor problem.

Don't waste your money.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:33 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Its really not worth doing? I was more concerned with lubricating the system to ensure the compressor doesn't blow out. I've read about all the compressor failures in 2004 tsx's so i was thinking about a little preventative maintenance. So what other stuff could i do myself? And is there anywhere i could download the technical manual? Google didn't turn up any free options, and i lost my own hard copy.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:59 AM

hondahookup.com
Old 10-24-2009, 04:42 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Thanks, so i downloaded this manual. Is this the same as the helm's manual? It looks slightly different than my old helm's book.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:22 PM

Not the same but similar. I have the Helm's as well and find it better, but this one will do in a pinch for sure.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:16 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

I may just buy another helm's manual then. As long as this one walk's thru changing spark plugs. I didn't see it and i've never changed my own plugs before. But i know its not too difficult. I'm trying to search this forum for changing the plugs specific to the tsx. Then my next step is to get my drive belt replaced. The arrow indicator is just at the edge of the acceptable zone. But i don't think its easy to change the drive belt since it stop the alternator and compressor. Can i do it myself? And should i change the alternator at the same time? If necessary i'll find a good mechanic. Wonder what a reasonable price would be for this.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 PM

Spark plugs are dead simple. A few small bolts 1/4" drive ratchet is all thats needed). Pop out the pieces leading down into the tubes, and then get the plugs out with an everyday sparkplug socket. When installing NEW plugs, do NOT add anti-seize, and only finger-tighten until they're seated. Then tighten with a ratchet to between 1/2 and 2/3 of a turn, NO MORE. Reinstall the ignitor wires, and you're done.

For the drive belt, it's actually also very simple:
1: Buy a new belt
2: Draw and/or take a picture of the belt routing. This is important.
3: Use the appropriate size wrench for the tensioner, and use the "double-wrench" method with another wrench to get leverage on the tenasioner. Loosen tensioner, Remove belt from the tensioner pulley.
4: Completely remove old belt. Examine, and get your new belt.
5: Route new belt in place, starting from the bottom and working up. Try not to kink it. Last puller should be the tensioner pulley, where it is beneficial to have a helper to pull the wrench(es) while you work on getting the belt slipped over it.
6: Check the indicator on the pulley. It might appear out of range, but after running the engine for 3-5 minutes it should be within range (it stretches within the first few minutes, then levels out for a long long long time, ie: 120,000 miles or whatever).

Done!