IS350 impressions (vs. 2004 TSX)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS350 impressions (vs. 2004 TSX)

Test drove an IS350 Friday, while my TSX was in the shop (I bent *another* @#%$^%!!! rim, third one ) to be fixed. The lexus dealer is right across from the acura dealer (want to hear a funny, both dealerships put the others trade'ins facing each other ). BTW, I know that the IS250 would have been a more fair comparison, but they didn't have any. Anyway, on to the impressions:

Speed- waaaaaay faster, no comparison there. The IS350 kicks butt.

Handling- very close call, I'd give the edge to the lexus, but I wouldn't want to live by the difference. Both the TSX and the Lexus can take curves with ease, but the extra ponies in the IS let's you muscle through the curves in a way the TSX can't.

Ride- again, close call, I liked both, but the lexus has a tiny edge when absorbing the bumps. Both seemed equally quiet, I think I'll reserve judgement until someone with an audio meter tests the IS.

-did I mention that the IS350 is *REALLY* fast?

Exterior- I'd say the lexus is better, I found only one flaw, on the front bumper. I also liked the looks of the lexus better, much more agressive (that's purely subjective so let's not argue about that.)

Interior- While I have to admit, the lexus was much better on the quality of the fit and finish, there were a couple of annoyances, the cup holders are a bit of a joke, and the controls aren't as intuitive. Also, not as much useful storage in the center console.

Interior space- The rear seats on the lexus are a bit of a joke. With the drivers seat in a comfortable position for me (I'm 5'8"), I could just barely get into the rear seat behind the drivers seat. I don't think I'd carry adults in the rear seat, and watch your head getting in and out (ouch, I was careful and I still bumped my head).

Navi system- TSX by far, the salesman I was with used to sell acura's, and even he admitted to being amazed that lexus can't seem to match Acura's Navi system. The screen on the lexus was a higher resolution, which was nice. Even with the nicer screen, Acura's nav is waaay better than the Lexus. Voice recognition was about the same.

Driver's position- The seats are very comfortable, I'd give the nod to lexus on this, although the real test would be spending the day in the saddle to really tell. The guages and controls are all well designed, and the steering wheel feels very comfortable. I'd give lexus the edge here. The vented seats are really cool (or hot, depends on how you set the dial )

Features- Let's face it, the TSX is starting to fade in some areas, like no LED lights, adaptive headlights, vented seats, etc. However, I still like the TSX for its fold-down rear seats, makes it possible to carry stuff the IS350 could'nt dream of.

Overall, I really liked the IS 350, and if it were only about 5 grand more than the TSX, I'd probably go with it for the extra ponies, looks, and some of the luxury touches, but at 10 to 15 grand more, I'd stick with the TSX. I'll drive an IS250 when I can.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Professional SLACKER

Not try to attack you.. but TSX is no IS350. The IS is way faster because it has 100 more ponnies and $$ more than the TSX.... (I know you mentioned it before)

But also the downfall of the IS is their gas milage. They can't compare to TSX....
Old 11-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Canuck

Your forgot to compare the sticker price.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:47 AM
TSX

ROFL....I stopped reading after the 1st paragraph...
Old 11-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Racer

not to offend you but you mentioned that is350 is way faster than TSX so many times... that is a given fact... and you mentioned that is250 and TSX would been a fair compairson... yes.. that would been a fair compairson... and the last thing exterior look is totally subjective, i prefer tsx and tl's look over IS... and i bet most of people on this forum do too.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tough crowd; I believe his mini-review would suit people thinking of upgrading from the TSX to the next "class" of car (remember that just because someone bought a TSX doesn't mean that they couldn't have afforded something more expensive if they felt it brought the same things to the table... only better).

Thanks gp, for the info. I look forward to reading your mini-review of the IS250 vs 350 vs TSX.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Thanks for the review. I agree with laee3, I like the looks of the TSX and TL more than the IS,..but thats all subjective. The 350 to the TSX is not really a fair comparison as others mentioned, but your impressions are appreciated.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Canuck

Originally Posted by laee3
not to offend you but you mentioned that is350 is way faster than TSX so many times... that is a given fact... and you mentioned that is250 and TSX would been a fair compairson... yes.. that would been a fair compairson... and the last thing exterior look is totally subjective, i prefer tsx and tl's look over IS... and i bet most of people on this forum do too.
The IS250 is still way more expensive for what you get compared to the tsx.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Hondaholic

Really, the fact that you CAN even do a comparison speaks for what Acura has accomplished with the TSX. Sure the TSX is down on HP against the IS350, but throw it up against an IS250 and it more than holds it own, at thousands less.....
Old 11-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IS350 is a nice car. To bad you cant get it in a manual. So therefore a womens car. Rich female car daddy buys her. hehehehehe
Old 11-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Racer

Way to stereotype.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

i am going to post a m3 vs tsx comparo later... yeah right
Old 11-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by foolioness
Not try to attack you.. but TSX is no IS350. The IS is way faster because it has 100 more ponnies and $$ more than the TSX.... (I know you mentioned it before)

But also the downfall of the IS is their gas milage. They can't compare to TSX....
Well the 350 burns more fuel BUT again 100 more HP, the 250 however gets better fuel mileage (EPA) and still has more HP in a heavier car, so in that light I think the Lexus has an advantage there also. But, the price difference certainly makes up for the extra gas!
Old 11-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by narci
Your forgot to compare the sticker price.
Actually, I did mention, that the IS is 10 to 15 grand more, so no, I didn't.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Canuck

Originally Posted by gpsiir
Actually, I did mention, that the IS is 10 to 15 grand more, so no, I didn't.
You just mentioned aprice for the IS, not stack that up agaisnt the price of a TSX with what you get. I think your comparison was missing that.

Maybe the post would have been better served as a pure impression post instead of a VS TSX post.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by foolioness

Acutally, I didn't bring that up 'cause the IS is rated 21/28, the 2006 TSX is rated 21/30, so a whopping 1 mile per gallon advantage composite.

Manual TSX (21+30)/2 25.5mpg
Auto TSX (22+31)/2 26.5mpg
6spd Auto IS (21+28)/2 24.5mpg

Not much difference in MPG's considering the IS is 2.2 seconds quicker than a manual TSX
Off of Lexus site: - 0 to 60 in 5.3 seconds
Manual TSX : - 0 to 60 in 7.5 seconds
Old 11-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by narci
You just mentioned aprice for the IS, not stack that up agaisnt the price of a TSX with what you get. I think your comparison was missing that.

Maybe the post would have been better served as a pure impression post instead of a VS TSX post.
Your missing the point, I did mention the fact that the IS is 10 to 15 grand more. I didn't go down the entire options list for either, 'cause quite frankly the TSX would come up with a far shorter list of amenities. That's what the 10 to 15 grand will get you, things like vented seats, high and low beam HID's that track in a turn, LED tails, LED interior reading lamps for every passenger, well, you should get the idea.

Come on people, I *know* I wasn't the only one thinking of shopping the IS, stop being defensive about the TSX, it *is* an awesome car for the money, but that doesn't mean there aren't some improvements to be made. If you read my first post calmly and rationally, you'll note in the end I stated for the money I'd stick with the TSX.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Powered by Honda
IS350 is a nice car. To bad you cant get it in a manual. So therefore a womens car. Rich female car daddy buys her. hehehehehe
Go drive one, if the salesman will let you floor it, you *won't* think, "this is a womens car", unless you're thinking of Milka Duno or Danica Patrick.....
Old 11-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LannyM
Really, the fact that you CAN even do a comparison speaks for what Acura has accomplished with the TSX. Sure the TSX is down on HP against the IS350, but throw it up against an IS250 and it more than holds it own, at thousands less.....
This is really the point people should be thinking about. The IS350 is a better car, there's no question of that. But it's so much more money it's irrelevant. I think that's what the thread starter had in mind when he made his post.

I've test driven the IS250, and it also is a better car than a TSX (only a little better at that. There are many sacrifices and impracticalities with an IS). But in order to do so it must come fully loaded, and a fully loaded IS250 is about $8000 more than a TSX with Nav. So I would never purchase the IS250 and the comparison is barely relevant. You have to have money to burn or REALLY like Lexi to get an IS.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:34 PM
SI Drive

I went with Kaikai yesterday to test drive this thing and the thing felt fast. Now keep in mind that we had just tested an used STi, so when I say that the IS350 felt fast, it sure damn was.

I agree with gpsiir on some of the items. Although, according to Kai, the car felt "disconnected" from the road. After all the mods that both of us have done to our cars, I guess it's hard to compare a modded TSX vs. a bone-stock IS350 on handling and road feedback.

Kai is about 5'8/5'9 and I'm 5'10. It is seriously difficult to try to get in and out of the rear seat of that car. I seriously couldn't believe that our TSX had more interior room than the IS.

Like everyone here has said, the fair comparison to the TSX would be the IS250. With a near-40 grand sticker price, the IS350 would be better compared against the BMW330.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jason
This is really the point people should be thinking about. The IS350 is a better car, there's no question of that. But it's so much more money it's irrelevant. I think that's what the thread starter had in mind when he made his post.

I've test driven the IS250, and it also is a better car than a TSX (only a little better at that. There are many sacrifices and impracticalities with an IS). But in order to do so it must come fully loaded, and a fully loaded IS250 is about $8000 more than a TSX with Nav. So I would never purchase the IS250 and the comparison is barely relevant. You have to have money to burn or REALLY like Lexi to get an IS.

I second that...
Old 11-06-2005, 07:17 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by Still Water
I second that...
I third that. With $8k I'll wager I can pretty easily coax more hp/tq out of the Acura than the IS250, and still have money left for wheels/tires/suspension upgrades. The Acura fits a fairly unique spot in the market, it is less expensive or better-equipped (or both) than most of its competition. You have to go to the rice-rocket class of Subi-Mitsu-Mazda to get a comparably-priced car with more hp, and even then that's tough. I bot my 6MT non-nav for $25k a year ago and I've put probably $800 in mods so call it $26k.

Hard to beat a classy, loaded, intro-luxury car with mod-ability for that price. Still, interesting comparison of two different cars. I do love the IS styling, very aggressive.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:48 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ i'll fourth it.

drove IS250 at the taste of lexus and it IS a better car then the TSX (and i did not think that was by a wide margin). but matched feature for feature with the TSX w/navi (of which i have) price wise, i won't consider the IS. that's just me...
Old 11-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Racer

well in my opinion IS and TSX are now in whole different price range... IS300 was comparable to TSX but new generation of IS are more of TL's competition... but I really think TL is much better car than IS250..
Old 11-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks-wise, TSX > IS IMO.
The front of the IS looks awkward, but the rear and side profiles look good.

TSX looks good from any angle
Old 11-06-2005, 10:42 PM
無限 本田 CL9

Talking

Originally Posted by laee3
well in my opinion IS and TSX are now in whole different price range... IS300 was comparable to TSX but new generation of IS are more of TL's competition... but I really think TL is much better car than IS250..
I agree with that some to a certain degree... however, I would say that the following comparison would be more reasonable:

Manufacturer: Acura Lexus BMW Mercedes Benz

Entry Level: TSX IS250/350 3 series C Class
Next Level Up: TL GS 5 series E Class
FlagShip: RL LS 7 series S Class

This is just comparing the sedans =)

And I think the Lexus ES 330 is just for people who are basically Camry owners in denial
Old 11-07-2005, 01:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by psteng19
Looks-wise, TSX > IS IMO.
The front of the IS looks awkward, but the rear and side profiles look good.

TSX looks good from any angle

haha it does i really like tsx since not alot of people have it... its kinda unique
Old 11-07-2005, 02:29 AM
Racer

i drove the is350 at the lexus test drive event. drove it pretty hard around some s-curves and floored it on the straights.

sure it is fast, but in a turn it seems like something is taking over for you so you dont feel quite as in control. they had a bmw 530i there and well it was a lot better in a turn.

i tend to think the tsx has maybe equal or slightly better handling in the corners. they are right, the IS really is just a mini GS, as the GS430s were more or less the same. very fast in straights, sort of weird in corners.

its hard to explain, but when you oversteered, hit the gas, and then corrected your line, the Lexus models really sort of felt like it just wasnt working right (maybe it was the VDIM) when in say the bmw it seemed more like it was doing what you had asked.

the is350 is also very very small. i sat in the back, and if anyone 5'8 or taller is up front my knees basically were touching the front seat (and i'm only 5'11). there is virtually no headroom in back, my hair actually was rubbing against the ceiling (not to mention i hit my head getting out, since with the chair back for a person up front it is really hard to get out of the car).

one thing i noticed that was not that great about the IS is the reflectors on the rear bumper. that really took away from it (the tail lights are sort of weird looking too). i guess the ydo not have those reflectors in japan/europe, but it really is unclean looking. the 330i's have gotten criticism for their taillights too, but at least the bumper isnt as busy (didnt get to drive the 330i, line too long, but i figured if it drives likt eh 530i, i'd rate it higher on driving dynamics than the IS by a long shot).

now i'd still take an is350 over a tsx anyday of the week (well if they cost the same). nicer interior, and well its got 306 hp.

but an is250 , with the same heavy overly computer controlled steering, and much less power, loses to a tsx i'd say. plus its much more expensive.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

^^^I had GS300 before I came to TSX
I think GS300 got pretty good handling...did you mod your TSX?

btw i think IS's exterior is way hotter than TSX :P
Old 11-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Canuck

Just saw a IS350 driving down the DVP coming to work. At first I thought it was one of those new Hyundai Sonata's from the rear view mirror.

It drove beside me and i figured it was an IS. What with those DUMBO sized side mirrors? Just from looking at it, the rear doors are half the size of the front doors and looking from the outside the rear looked cramped. As it passed me I can't help but think it's stance is like a Tiburon, you know, body heavy then as it gets to the wheels it gets skinny.

My personal point of view is that the IS looks better in print then in real life.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Canuck

Uggg just went through the rest of the Hyundai Sonata Pics and IS pics:

Old 11-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
RE: IS and Sonata

So true!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Racer

hahahahahahah they do look a like hahahahah
Old 11-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

hahahah TSX look like 06 Civic?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

TSX like the Civic? Not as much as the above IS vs Sonata! Yikes....

Actually, I kind of like the new Tiburon styling. Hyundai has come a long way...
Old 11-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vidgamer
TSX like the Civic? Not as much as the above IS vs Sonata! Yikes....

Actually, I kind of like the new Tiburon styling. Hyundai has come a long way...
yeah tiburon is pretty awesome car, fast... affordable... and santafe is pretty nice too other than that... they are alright tho
Old 11-08-2005, 12:41 AM
7thGenAccord

ya tripping. the rear of the sonata looks more like a 05 accord sedan. and the body of the IS looks way different compare to the sonata.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:44 AM
7thGenAccord

Originally Posted by kyotousa
hahahah TSX look like 06 Civic?
hahah. today i saw the 06 civic and i thought it was a TSX. i was like wth when did the tsx start having DRL.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:03 AM
Burning Brakes

man...the u guys are harsh..the dude did mention he knows its not a fair comparision already so it was more of an "driving impression" rather than comparision.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:55 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
hahaha. they do look alike!!!
I went to the auto show on Sunday and I was able to see the IS350. I really thought it was very well made car. I loved the interior but navi seems little confusing and hard to use but other than that I loved it. My question is: Is it worth $8,000 more from TSX? NO!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: IS350 impressions (vs. 2004 TSX)