Impressions of my 2004 TSX after 6 Years and 75K miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Impressions of my 2004 TSX after 6 Years and 75K miles

I was on a long drive today and I was thinking about how much I love my car. I thought you guys or a potential buyer might like to hear my thoughts. This is a compilation of everything thing I’ve learned on the forum and the things I’ve discovered about the car for myself. Let me know when you find any mistakes and I’ll fix them. In this post I’ll first talk about why I bought the car and the reliability history. Then I’ll tell you how I improved the car’s power, handling, and looks. Last, I’ll talk about general impressions, installs, and maintenance.

2004 Acura TSX
6MT
Non-nav
Carbon Grey Pearl/Ebony
Driven in Georgia and Virginia 75,000 miles over 6 years
About $3,700 spent on modifications

terms for the noobs (because I used to be one too)
TSB-technical service bulletin from Acura
CAI-cold air intake
RSB-rear sway bar
6mt-six speed manual transmission
5at-five speed automatic transmission
WOT-wide open throttle

Reliability
The TSX is my first car. I initially considered the 4Runner, Highlander, RSX, 325ci, and Accord, but chose the TSX due to its great feature set and excellent price. My family has owned about 10 Hondas over the years, so it was a natural choice. The first couple of years with the TSX were a bit rough. I felt like my car was always at the dealership getting something fixed. I’ve had the following issues so far:

-moisture in headlights (2x)
-moisture in headlight TSB
-loose door trim
-broken driver’s lock mechanism
-broken riser on driver side window
-broken spring on center armrest (2x)
-trunk wiring harness TSB
-power steering hose recall
-shuddering brakes
-car pulling to the right
-punctured AC condenser
-cracked rear speaker
-new transmission at 30k

Needless to say, I wasn’t too excited about the car after 2 years, and I was beginning to think I should have gotten a BMW instead, since the Acura was obviously not reliable at all. The biggest surprise was at 30K miles when the 3rd gear synchro failed and wouldn’t allow shifting at over 5k rpms. The transmission was replaced under warranty. All of the other issues were replaced under warranty as well except the AC and the broken window riser which occurred outside warranty. After the first 2 years, the car was MUCH better except for my continuing issues with shuddering brakes which I will go into later. I always use Nalley Acura. My service advisor Ed Wilkey is exceptionally good and has always treated me fairly.

Power Mods
From the beginning, I realized the TSX had some shortcomings and I aimed to fix them. One of the biggest issues is front wheels drive, but that can’t be fixed. I’ve spent quite a bit of money modifying the car, but I think it was worth it. I’ve made most of my decisions based off forum posts and from talking to Marcus at Heeltoe. He’s very knowledgeable, and easy to get in touch with. Just make sure to plan plenty of time for shipping; it can be rather slow. To address the lack of power I added an Injen CAI, Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust, and implemented the throttle body bypass mod. I chose the Injen CAI due to its peak horsepower gain, which was definitely noticeable. I enjoy the sound of the intake, but after I got the exhaust installed, I occasionally wondered if I might be able to hear the exhaust more if the intake weren’t drowning it out. I also noticed a slight increase in power from the exhaust, but I really enjoy it for the wonderful sound it produces. It’s great around town producing a low deep note, and it is relatively muted on the highway. I’ve considered installing sound deadening in the trunk to further reduce the highway hum, which is more pronounced when you are hauling more people. The exhaust looks fine without having a body kit installed, but I recommend getting stiffer exhaust hangers so the tips sit closer to the body. You can order them from Napa. The throttle body bypass probably doesn’t net much power, but it was fun to do the mod anyway. I lived in Virginia through four winters and had no issues with the throttle sticking. If I were spending the money again, I would definitely purchase the exhaust again, but I might spend my money on a Hondata reflash instead of the intake. With my current setup, I estimate I’m putting out about 220hp. If money were not an issue, the following would be my perfect setup for the engine:

Injen CAI
Toda header
Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust
Hondata reflash
Hondata heat shield
TB Bypass
Unorthodox Racing Pulley Kit

Handling Mods
The TSX has great handling from the start, but I was able to dramatically improve the performance in the twisties with a few key modifications. Stickier tires are essential. I usually get about 25K miles out of all season high performance tires. Bridgestone Potenzas are the only tires I’ve really had in the snow and they were horrible. My buddy’s Buick kept going after I lost traction driving to Snowshoe, WV during a snowstorm last winter in about 5 inches of unplowed snow. None of my tires feel fresh after about 15K miles. The front tires seem to lose their initial bite after one rotation on the front. Even though I have tons of tread left, they will tend to slip in wet weather. I’ve never really understood why tires with plenty of tread don’t feel as good later in life. I added a Progress rear sway bar, which didn’t seem to make much difference with the stock suspension. I chose the Progress bar because it fits over the Tanabe exhaust. After I installed the A-Spec suspension, the car felt significantly more neutral in the turns. The back was much more willing to break free. My impression is that the new RSB was only able to make a noticeable difference after the suspension became more planted. The A-Spec Kit is fantastic. The car takes turns much faster than before and it is generally more confidence inspiring. You just point and the car goes. The ride feels just as good as before, but there is much less body roll. Even my shifts feel smoother as the car no longer shifts as much weight during transitions. The car sits about an inch lower in the front and rear and the proportions are much better than before. I installed the Ingalls rear camber kit to fix the alignment issues, although it seems that rear camber isn’t a significant issue according to Marcus at Heeltoe. I just feel better having it in spec. I’ve tried numerous times to fix the brake shuddering issue. The dealer initially turned the rotors, but the problem quickly returned. I purchased RacingBrake front rotors and Hawk HPS pads, which definitely gave me more stopping power, but this combination began to shudder as well. I could temporarily fix the problem by re-bedding the brakes. I recently switched to RacingBrake ET500 pads, but I’m not sure if this has fixed the problem either. I’m concerned that the rotors may have warped, so it may be necessary to get new ones if I ever want to have my brakes function properly. The brakes are probably the most frustrating part of my TSX as I’ve invested quite a bit of money in fixing them to no avail. This just seems to be a Honda problem. I would definitely buy all my parts again, but here’s my dream list:

A-Spec Suspension
Progress RSB
Ingalls rear camber kit
Lightweight wheels
Big brake kit of some sort

Cosmetic Mods
As far as cosmetics go, I tried to spice the TSX up a bit to differentiate it from the grandmas, but I didn’t want it to look too ricer. I had the OEM spoiler installed at the beginning and I’ve been happy with it. I considered the lip spoiler, but I think the wing is a better choice because it stands out a bit more (even though it isn’t functional). The front definitely needed some sprucing up so I added JDM paint-matched fog lights with Nokya yellow bulbs. These look great; however, the glass is fragile so I added the Rockblocker film. Due to the design of the fog lights, the put out a LOT of heat and will quickly brown the film in temps over 60 degrees so I only run them in the winter which is really a shame because they look really cool. I tried blue bulbs for a while, but the yellows just look better. I recommend buying genuine parts instead of the knockoff kits on eBay. My wiring harness had to be modified to fit, and ended up breaking after 3 years. I’ve spent over $400 in labor getting the initial kit modified and then repaired. Suck it up and by the real kit from the beginning. I also purchased a black powder coated mesh grille for the lower center opening. I did this after a rock came through and punctured the AC condenser coil on a weeklong road trip of South Georgia in 95-degree heat. I highly recommend everyone install some sort of protection for this coil, as the repair was very expensive. The mesh also makes the front look much more aggressive. I tinted my windows to 35% with FormulaOne Metallic tint. It keeps the car much cooler, and makes it a bit sleeker. I wish I had gotten 20% though. I had to have a new window put in after 4 years, and the replacement film looked exactly the same as the original, suggesting that the original stuff had not aged at all. I highly recommend FormulaOne. I’m also a big fan of debadging. Anyone that knows anything about cars knows it’s a TSX and it just looks so much cleaner without the “Acura” and “TSX” badges. It was very easy to remove the badges with a hair dryer and floss. To match the center ambient lighting, I installed blue LED lights in the doors and in the trunk. This mod looks great and people frequently comment on how cool they look. On the inside of the car, I installed a Soundgate AUX in since the 2004 didn’t come with it. The quality is much better than an FM transmitter. I also purchased a machined aluminum JDM Honda shift knob that feels much better than the stock knob. I removed the bottom nut so the knob sits much lower on the shifter, and I inserted a rubber tube under the boot to hold the boot up against the bottom of the knob. The lower position makes the throws feel much shorter. My dream list for cosmetic modifications would be:

OEM spoiler
OEM fog lights
Euro R aero kit
20% tint
Debadged
JDM shift knob
Aluminum pedals
Soundgate AUX in
Put in some really nice audio components (but I don’t know much about these)

General Impressions
So on to my general impressions. With the performance parts, the TSX is a joy to drive every day. I look for turns to take fast and onramps to accelerate. The car is very easy to drive and pleasant on long trips. I estimate the 0-60 around 6.7 seconds and I’ve taken it up to 137mph in 5th gear. The shifter is one of the best I’ve ever used. It has such a nice smooth, low resistance movement to it. The shift quality further improved when I switched to GM friction modified transmission fluid. The transmission is definitely smoother in warm temperatures. The throttle is a bit touchy on the TSX and it is impossible to smoothly get on and off the throttle in first gear due to the poor drive by wire implementation. Turning the AC off seems to help with the lag. The cruise control works very well and holds the speed you set almost exactly. When I’m driving on a long trip, I sometimes find the padding on the armrests to be a bit thin and my elbows get sore. However, the seats are very comfortable and I’ve driven for over 5 hours straight with little discomfort. On long trips I initially got about 35mpg, but I only get about 31mpg now. My daily gas mileage is around 25mpg. The stereo is good in my opinion. The bass is stronger than most cars, and the sound is crisp for stock speakers. Sometimes the tweeters crackle though. I particularly notice it when listening to certain Kings of Leon and Red Hot Chili Pepper songs. I use a Griffin charger with a built in line out for my iPod. This seems to send a very clear signal to the head unit and allows me to listen with the volume turned up to about 75%. I really like the way the dash is laid out. The buttons on the steering wheel are useful and look very nice. The bright instrument display is very clear and looks sharp. The auto AC controls temperature very well compared to other cars I’ve driven in. I always use auto and usually set the temperature between 65 and 75 degrees. The AC cools the car very fast. In the fall I drive with the windows down which has a very nice breeze in the car that’s not too strong. If you open the moon roof, the wind gets too strong in my opinion. The seat heaters are a bit slow to warm; it usually takes about 3 minutes before they get going. I wish they would heat immediately because by the time they come on the heat has usually started up already. I wish the steering wheel were a bit thicker. The rear seat has a good amount of space, but is not very good for grown up activities if you know what I mean. You can move quite a bit of stuff in this car by putting down the backseat; however, realize that the weight takes pressure off the front tires and makes the car a chore to drive. From the outside, I think the cars looks very classy even after 6 years. It has a clean and athletic look that is lacking from many cars today. I think it is the best-looking Honda or Acura has ever designed behind the NSX and S2K. The new Acuras just look like crap in comparison. I think my favorite angle is directly from the front or rear. The side angle is not very good due to a long front overhang.

Maintenance
Maintenance has been relatively cheap. Oil changes (every 5k) at the dealership are about $35 and transmission fluid changes (every 20k) are about $75. I’ve had my brake lines flushed twice so far for about $80. I clean my Injen air filter every year or so using the K&N recharger kit. It takes about 10 minutes to take off the front wheel and pull back the plastic to get to the filter. I also change my cabin air filter every year. I buy the filter off eBay for about $15. I try to wash the car every couple of weeks and wax and clay it every six months. After trying about ten different waxes, I’ve settled on Rejex, which goes on easy and holds up very well. The paint still looks great, however scratches show up clearly. I bought a paint pen, but it doesn’t do a very good job of blending in. My front bumper is quite chipped. I also condition the leather every couple of months with Griot’s leather conditioner. My passengers frequently comment on how good my car smells. I don’t have any cracks and just a few creases. After the roads are salted, I spray off the suspension components. I guess this worked, because installing the Ingalls rear camber kit was a breeze; the bolts were not stuck at all like other winter drivers have complained about. In general I take VERY good care of my car and I think this has helped it age very gently. It looks just about brand new.

Installs
I’ve done many of my modifications and as I stated, I clean and replace my own air filters. The fog lights should have been easy except for the horrible eBay wiring harness. I swapped my own exhaust hangers, did the TB bypass mod, installed the new rear sway bar, installed the Ingalls rear camber kit, and installed the A-Spec suspension kit. I recommend having a friend to help with installs if you are a novice. I highly recommend doing stuff yourself because it’s really satisfying to understand how different parts of the car work. All of these projects are very doable if you own the following tools:

Socket wrench set
Open face wrench set
Breaking bar
Torque wrench
Grease for the sway bar
Screwdrivers
Floor jack
Jack stands
Pliers

Comparisons
I’ve had the opportunity to drive a number of sports cars over the years but I’ve spent a lot of time with the cars below. I think it’s interesting to compare them to the TSX because it highlights some of the TSX’s successes and failures.

2009 Audi A3 2.0T 6mt
This car has much better power than the TSX. The low-end torque from the turbo is fantastic. The steering is a bit light and numb compared to the TSX though, and the suspension feels floaty compared to even the stock TSX suspension. Obviously, the A-Spec is even better. The headlights on the A3 are much nicer than the TSX’s due to the highs being xenon and the auto load leveling. People frequently beam you in the TSX because your low beams are so bright. I recommend adjusting your TSX beams. The shifter in the A3 is nearly as good as the TSX. It is a bit longer throw, but it has an even lighter action. The brakes in the A3 are a bit weak compared to the TSX. One thing I dislike about this car is the high maintenance costs…and oil change is $120! I would pick a stock A3 over a stock TSX, but I like my modified TSX better than the A3. The A3 is a VERY fun car to drive, but it would benefit from a few key mods including a short throw shifter, upgraded brake kit, and a lower/stiffer suspension.

2001 Honda S2000

I nearly sold my TSX this year after driving the S2K on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The shifter is much shorter and feels great on the S2K. The acceleration is much better and the brakes are awesome. However, the thing that blew me away the most was the neutral handling. Where my TSX was under steering like crazy, the S2K was rotating like a champ. It felt really cool. My buddy was driving behind me in my TSX and I quickly pulled away doing 15-20mph faster through the turns. The only reason I didn’t trade was the practicality of the TSX. I like how quiet it is and I like being able to drive my friends around.

2007 Aston Martin Vantage 6mt

I’ve spent a lot time driving this car and it is a BLAST. The power is great and the sound is unbelievable. Gives me chills every time over 4K rpms. And it’s beautiful. However, this car has actually showed me what a great car the TSX is. There are some days I would rather drive the TSX over the Aston. The great thing about the TSX is that you can drive at 7/10 without attracting too much attention; you can be subtle. In the Aston you are always loud and sticking out. It’s hard to push the car because you have to drive really fast to do it. Like the S2K, I like the way the Aston rotates. The shifter is a bit clunky which slows my shifts down. The TSX takes much less energy to drive. The Aston gets hot in the summer and is much louder in the cabin. I frequently feel worn out when I arrive after a long drive. But man is it exhilarating! If I were going to buy an expensive car I would get a blend of the TSX and the Aston such as an M3 Sedan 6mt so I could have most of the best of both worlds.

2005 Acura TL 6mt
This car is similar to the TSX, but I would take the TSX any day. The TL is obviously much more powerful, but my TSX sounded better in my opinion. The shifter in the TSX was also much crisper. On the other hand, the TL was significantly quieter due to more sound deadening and had a very good audio system. I always felt a bit more separated from the road in this car though; the TSX just feels like a sharper instrument.

2004 Subaru WRX Sti 6MT

This is similar to the TSX, but makes many more compromises. It’s loud inside and generally feels courser. The paint did not hold up well, and it felt cheap in many ways. But boy does it haul! It is unbelievably fun to drive fast and I felt more comfortable abusing it. It feels sturdy. The TSX sounds better though. I would probably pick a modded TSX over an Sti.

2008 Acura TSX 5AT
I drove this car as a loaner. I really missed my manual. The AT makes the TSX feel so much more pedestrian and you don’t get that great transmission whine. It also felt much slower. The manual TSX is so much more personal.

Auto Concepts that Apply to the TSX
These are things that I’ve learned that explain why certain things work the way they do. Let me know if I’m mistaken on any of these.
-Colder air is denser. Therefore, if you can get colder air into the cylinders you get more power because you have more oxygen. This is why a cold air intake gives you more horsepower.
-Air resistance decreases horsepower. By streamlining the airflow in an engine you get more power. That’s why sports exhausts and intakes give you more power.
-Front wheel drive cars naturally understeer because more weight is over the front wheels and because the front wheels have to steer and put down the power. Rear wheel drive splits up these tasks and gives a greater tendency to oversteer which is used by experienced drivers to steer the car through turns quicker. The TSX can be modified to handle more neutrally by installing a thicker rear sway bar.
-At WOT the AC compressor clutch disengages from the engine on the TSX.
-Brakes don’t usually warp, they just get pad material unevenly deposited. This happens when the pads get hot and are held against the pads. You can rebed the pads by doing 8-10 heavy brake applications from 70mph down to 10mph. Be sure to drive for at least 10 minutes after bedding.
-You lose brake pedal pressure because the fluid is boiling.

Conclusion
So, I’ve thrown a lot of random information out, but I’d like to tie it all up. I loved my car in the beginning, it started to annoy me with all its issues in the first two years, I almost sold it to buy an S2000, but I’ve gotten to a point that I really love it again even after having it for 6 years. The shifter is fantastic, it handles beautifully for a front driver, the sound system entertains me on long trips, it’s holding up well, the maintenance fees are very reasonable, and it has enough power to have fun on the road. The only thing that detracts from this car is the shuddering brake problem (which still plagues me) and the way the front tires wear out and lead to understeer. I think that a RWD car will be better in this regard. This car is a good compromise in comparison to an S2000 or an Aston; it allows you to have fun but it’s an easy car to live with and provides a lot of functionality. Now that I have it modded the way I want, I’ll probably hold on to it for another 3 years and then buy the next generation BMW 3 series. I thought about buying a new 328i now, but when I compare the 3 series to my TSX, there just aren’t enough improvements to shell out $38,000. However, I’m really looking forward to RWD and the ability to lay down more power in the future. I hope that I can find a buyer that will appreciate my modified TSX as much as I have.

Last edited by LuvMyTSX; 08-16-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: couple edits requested by OP
Old 08-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well written. My '04 also spent a considerable amount of time at the dealership during its warranty period (headlight moisture - 2x, stereo malfunction/replacement - 3x, passenger seat frame replacement - 1x). When the car was about to run out of warranty, I was seriously considering switching to something else but for the last 50,000 miles or so (99k currently on the car), and knock on wood, I've had absolutely no issues with the car and have had fun customizing it into what it is now. Stoptech BBK, A-spec suspension, window tint, lightweight wheels and summer tires.

It really is a great car and I don't foresee myself getting rid of it anytime soon.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Nice thread I Almost got a TSX but I chose my TL instead
Old 08-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
stewie20068:

Fantastic, thorough review. Thanks for posting.

Your car is in great condition. Are those first two pictures how the car looks today or in 2004???. Those pictures look so good, i thought they came from some sort of promotional literature from 2004.

You mention a fuel line TSB. I am not familiar with this TSB. I have several questions:

1) What was wrong with the fuel line?

2) What kind of work did the TSB involve?

3) Did it include other model years besides the 2004s?

4) Do you have the TSB number?

Again, great, great review. And the fact that sometimes you would take a TSX over a James Bond Aston Martin sure makes me feel good about my 2005 TSX.

Last edited by Miamicarfan; 08-15-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Racer

I'm glad you guys liked my writeup. It was pretty fun to do. All the pictures are my own. The rejex + claying really seems to keep the paint looking fresh. The first picture was from 2006, the second was this year up on the Blue Ridge Parkway. One of my favorite places to drive. Sorry I was mistaken on the TSB, it's the power steering hose recall. I was thinking about how it leaked and caught fire so I was thinking fuel line. wish I could edit that out....

Last edited by stewie20068; 08-16-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:05 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice write-up.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:20 AM
Racer

oops one other little mistake, when you bed your brakes BE SURE to drive for at least 10 minutes afterward. Don't sit still.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:46 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
excellent write-up.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great write up!

One downside I notice more and more around me is the uncomfortably firm ride. This may not be an issue in areas with smooth roads but thats just not the case where I live. Every time I get into another vehicle or get a newer loaner its the first thing I notice when I get back into my car.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ofusball21
Great write up!

One downside I notice more and more around me is the uncomfortably firm ride. This may not be an issue in areas with smooth roads but thats just not the case where I live. Every time I get into another vehicle or get a newer loaner its the first thing I notice when I get back into my car.
Same here. Been bothering me for at least a year or two now. I don't know if the suspension is aging and wearing down, or I'm getting old and more sensitive, but it's become quite bothersome.

But hopefully in a few days I won't have to deal with that anymore.

Still a great car otherwise, though.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Same here. Been bothering me for at least a year or two now. I don't know if the suspension is aging and wearing down, or I'm getting old and more sensitive, but it's become quite bothersome.

But hopefully in a few days I won't have to deal with that anymore.

Still a great car otherwise, though.
honestly i've felt the same way, then i got a TL SH-AWD loaner for a weekend and i was like DAMN this is firm, the TSX felt like a caddy afterwards.

i think it's just perception honestly.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

it is very tough to have very good corner handling and at the same time soft suspensions. All "sports" cars need firm suspensions especially the lighter ones.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Racer

In my opinion, the increased road noise from a sports car is more annoying than the stiffer suspension. My roads are pretty smooth though. Like I mentioned in my writeup, I think it all comes down to the compromises you want to make. I think that compared to a real sports car with a real sport suspension, the TSX with A-spec is an excellent compromise.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:52 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

Originally Posted by kanonen
it is very tough to have very good corner handling and at the same time soft suspensions. All "sports" cars need firm suspensions especially the lighter ones.
let me rephrase/correct:

all "sports" cars need firm suspensions and you will feel it more on lighter cars.

it is a compromise as the former post states...
Old 08-17-2010, 06:36 AM
it's a car-drive it

With all the driving I do I am pleased that the seats and ride are still comfortable for me.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write up.

Definitely agree with this:

The throttle is a bit touchy on the TSX and it is impossible to smoothly get on and off the throttle in first gear due to the poor drive by wire implementation. Turning the AC off seems to help with the lag.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Racer

Did you really compare a TSX to Aston martin? that's awesome....

my 2 cents. My 2008 TSX is so far my favorite of all cars I have owned

1) 08 6 speed TSX
2) 1994 BMW 318i - the first car i bought with my own money. Loved that girl
3) 2001 Audi A4 1.8T - Modded the piss out of it - man was it fun....
4) 1987 MB 300 TD - Diesel Wagon fun while it lasted. If it was in better shape I would have held on to it. Didnt have the time to restore it....
5) 02 TL type-s - Bone stock. What a great daily driver
6) Nissan Xterra - hated that thing.....
Old 08-19-2010, 02:21 AM
Instructor

The 2004 TSX is harsh riding IMO. It handles great. Before my wife and I bought the TSX, we test drove quite a few cars. I remember driving a used 2001 BMW 333 and feeling, here is a car that rides nicely, handles very well, is quiet enough, and has great road feel.

I am mentioning this because I see people state that a car has to be harsh and stiff to handle well. That's not true.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Pro

BMW 333??

You mean 330 right?
Old 09-09-2010, 01:20 PM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Great write up. I am sure many will learn from it and seriously consider your statements as you owned it for a considerable amount of time and mileage.

I considered the Acura TSX 6MT, but ended up getting an 04 TL 6MT.

My reasons were for the auto and manual transaxles problems I researched with the TSX. I was looking at buying used with 75K miles or less, so that was significant. Also, lack of rear leg room for adults and I simply want to experience a Honda V6 for a change but it still needed good gas mileage because I rack up the miles.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Racer

just as a little update....

After having the aspec suspension on for a good amount of time I love it even more. It is just so sharp! I tell the car to move and it jumps right to it. I wish I had gotten this a long time ago.

Also, switching to the Racingbrake ET500 pads seems to have solved my shuddering issues. I was concerned that it was coming back again, but it hasn't happened after 3 weeks with some hard braking so I think I'm good. Finally! And the new set up really works well.

I've also moved to DC and found a great new dealership in Radley Acura. Mark is my new service adviser and he's been great so far. I had my AC blower go out. I dropped the car off at 7pm and had it back and repaired by 10pm the same day. They are open until midnight!

Last edited by stewie20068; 09-09-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

A fun read, stewie. Thanks. I did some mods on my beloved ABP '04, but none yet on my '07. My '07 is a trade-in waiting to happen, when the next great Acura TSX shows its face. Hasn't happened yet.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:46 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for this post as it helped me purchase an 06 tsx w/ 35k miles
Old 09-14-2010, 03:42 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice and clean looking TSX
Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Cruisin'

Fantastic!

Loved this writeup! have to admit, it's a completely different experience than my RX-8 but it's a great car. A real sleeper.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:58 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by psteng19
Nice write up.

Definitely agree with this:
So is there anything we can do about this? I've been dealing with this since I bought my car new in 2006 and it is some times embarrassing! Why is it so goosey?

What is the throttle body bypass mod for?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Racer

Not really much I've found that you can do about the throttle. I find that it's a bit easier to modulate during shifts when the AC is completely off. It's goosey because it's an early implementation of drive by wire. I've heard later versions are better.

Throttle body bypass (original thread by JTso I believe) reroutes the hot coolant to bypass the throttle body thereby reducing the intake air temps. Surprisingly I believe the dyno tests showed a 5hp improvement.

I have a small update to my original post.

The Continental Extreme DWS's are still holding up great. After a year they have good treadwear and steering feel. Best set of tires I've had so far.

Exhaust hangers continue to be an issue. I've had 2 rubber sets from Napa snap in half. I've currently got the Cusco polyurethane hangers on. We'll see how they hold up.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:08 AM
4th Gear

Great writeup! I was excited about my recent acquisition of an '05 TSX and this has me even more stoked!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:30 AM
it's a car-drive it

It is getting near the time when I will be needing new tires on my 06 tsx. I am not very happy with the Yokohama tires that are on it now. They were recently measured at 6/32 and have 50K+miles. How many miles are on the continentals.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by stewie20068
Not really much I've found that you can do about the throttle. I find that it's a bit easier to modulate during shifts when the AC is completely off. It's goosey because it's an early implementation of drive by wire. I've heard later versions are better.

Throttle body bypass (original thread by JTso I believe) reroutes the hot coolant to bypass the throttle body thereby reducing the intake air temps. Surprisingly I believe the dyno tests showed a 5hp improvement.

I have a small update to my original post.

The Continental Extreme DWS's are still holding up great. After a year they have good treadwear and steering feel. Best set of tires I've had so far.

Exhaust hangers continue to be an issue. I've had 2 rubber sets from Napa snap in half. I've currently got the Cusco polyurethane hangers on. We'll see how they hold up.
How is the noise level on the Continental Extremes in comparison to the Michellin stock tires?
Old 09-17-2011, 04:44 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
great write up, i been driving my tsx since late 2003, and have 131K miles on it. thinking about finally selling it and getting a new ride but having a hard time wanting to let it go after getting all the mods the way i want them. especially the stereo, unfortunately they don't make cars with the types of system i got! haha
Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 AM
B A N N E D

aston = win!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
wow great review. if you ever wanted an suv, give the rdx a try and report back please. thanks.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:09 PM
4th Gear

Thumbs up

good review,nice car
Old 10-04-2011, 12:12 AM
MLB
7th Gear

Nice write-up. I have had my 04 5AT since new with close to 150k now. Never had the studdering brake problem - but I did my own brake changes and put on slotted and cross drilled rotors along with the Akebono pro ACT brake pads. On issues I had was with the power steering hose and rock through my A/C condensor. Still love the car and use it as my daily driver.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:44 AM
2nd Gear

This is a very informative post.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Racer

I'm glad everyone has enjoyed my writeup. I just re-read it, and I still agree with everything I wrote. Two years later, I'm at 100,000 miles my TSX is showing a little more visual wear, but still holding up remarkably well. I drove a BRZ last month, and I'm thinking it may be a good time to buy something impractical...I'll probably do a final write-up if I end up selling. Hopefully I can find someone that will enjoy this car!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by stewie20068
I'm glad everyone has enjoyed my writeup. I just re-read it, and I still agree with everything I wrote. Two years later, I'm at 100,000 miles my TSX is showing a little more visual wear, but still holding up remarkably well. I drove a BRZ last month, and I'm thinking it may be a good time to buy something impractical...I'll probably do a final write-up if I end up selling. Hopefully I can find someone that will enjoy this car!
stewie20068:

I had a chance to drive most of the Blue Ridge Parkway last year in my TSX. I drove 380 miles of it from Charlottesville Virginia to Ashville North Carolina. Wow. What a road. I will be back. And I will back in the TSX. I will have passengers in the back. Good luck putting passengers in the back of that BRZ you are thinking of getting. The passengers will have to be contortionists. ;-) Don't get me wrong. I love the BRZ. I have sat in the driver's seat at an auto show. I just would not want to sit in the back. If you are thinking of getting one, I think you should wait a year or two. It is going to come out with a turbo in a year or two. This will significantly increase both the horsepower and torque.

Hope you do not get rid of your TSX since I enjoy reading your reviews. But if you do, do post your final thoughts on the car. By the way, I also just passed 100,000 miles on my car. Just passed that milestone three days ago.

Last edited by Miamicarfan; 04-06-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 PM
10th Gear

Great post! Can't wait to ride to work in my '04 black TSX w/ Navi.

I just upgraded from a '00 tan Mazda Protege. The Mazda was a great car but bought it new out of necessity. I have kids now in private school so I can't imagine spending $20K plus on a new car but I think the '04 TSX is a great compromise between cost and enjoyment.

I don't live far from work so I hope to keep the car until it reaches 200K miles plus. It has 145K miles now.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, your 04 looks amazing.

Quick Reply: Impressions of my 2004 TSX after 6 Years and 75K miles