How do you guys deal when people laugh at your slow TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
How do you guys deal when people laugh at your slow TSX?

It's been two days since I bought the car and I am loving it. But I am sick of some of the comments about the TSX..... "a slow overweight pig" or "slow, overpriced accord" or "wtf...you bought a civic for $30k!!!" . I have no regrets at all since I know I got a super sweet car. I knew beforehand the car isn't all that fast and I didn't buy it for speed. It's hard to argue with those people when they only care about hp/torque. I can list every features on the TSX and quote all the good reviews in car magazine but they still going to have that impression of the TSX. So what are some of your responses to those comments? Just curious so I can have a comeback next time . My options now are to just ignore them, reason with them, smack them in the face, or key their cars (jk).
Old 05-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I hang out with a different crowd. I'm not even 30 yet, but my friends don't really care about speed all that much.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by ninjamyst
It's been two days since I bought the car and I am loving it. But I am sick of some of the comments about the TSX..... "a slow overweight pig" or "slow, overpriced accord" or "wtf...you bought a civic for $30k!!!" . I have no regrets at all since I know I got a super sweet car. I knew beforehand the car isn't all that fast and I didn't buy it for speed. It's hard to argue with those people when they only care about hp/torque. I can list every features on the TSX and quote all the good reviews in car magazine but they still going to have that impression of the TSX. So what are some of your responses to those comments? Just curious so I can have a comeback next time . My options now are to just ignore them, reason with them, smack them in the face, or key their cars (jk).
Get more mature friends. Who really cares what others say? I quit worrying about what others would think and say years ago, and bought and did what I wanted. Your happy, you made the right decision. I just came from a 325 HP with 610 lbs of torque Dodge Diesel.......you want to talk about a PIG? I just laugh when I hear about $110.00 fuel fill-up's which I used to have also, 11 MPG around town versus the 21+ of the TSX, the handleing of the TSX is absolutely stellar. They can have all the hp/torque they want, I could not be happier with my decision to buy TSX.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:46 PM
B A N N E D

who are you hanging around?
i had my TSX for 4 months and i get nothing but compliments.. some people would rather have style than a rocket launcher.. even people with BMWs and porsche eye me all the time.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Sounds like you have some real winners for friends..
Old 05-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
where abouts do you live?

nobody really cares what you drive...
Old 05-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

Sounds like you have some real winners for friends..
Sounds like someone needs new friends...

And all of my friends, even my friend who owns a Porsche and an M5 agrees that the TSX is a great car and if he were looking for a daily driver in the $30k range, it's probably what he would pick.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Yes, you can quote the tsx as Car and Driver 10 best, so many standard features for under $30K, great gas mileage; but really it comes down to personal preference. You bought a great car. Perhaps those folks are jealous.
I've never heard my friends who've been on a ride in my car say my car sucks or it's slow. Even my boss and his friend, owner of a 911 and 540i, said how nice my ride is.
Remember, it's your ride.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sebo1
i had my TSX for 4 months and i get nothing but compliments.. some people would rather have style than a rocket launcher.. even people with BMWs and porsche eye me all the time.
Yeah, same here. When we had our '99 Si all the punks and boy racers would eye us, now it is the BMW's, Audi's etc.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

yea I get crap like that too.... but if anything I borrow my cousins 650 WHP 3000gt... and shut them the hell up lol
Old 05-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just respond with . Then follow up with and finally say to those loser friends.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Why Why Why does the TSX have the stigma that it is slow?? It is NOT. Not as fast when compared to a Turbo, or a V6 or a V8, but lets compare apples to apples, compare it to other 4 cylinder cars and you will not find a smoother or finer 4 IMO. Honda became famous for their high revving 4's. I could have easily bought the TL (V6), I didn't want it, I wanted the TSX BECAUSE of the 4 cylinder.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you buy the car for yourself, or for your friends? Who cares what other people think.

Everyone I know likes my car...some think it's worth $50k lol. Sure, speed is nice, but I don't go to the track every weekend, and I'm not stupid enough to do street racing. All I care about is the commute...if I can enjoy the ride to my destinations, then I'm happy. My car has all the features I want. I got more bang for the money. If I wanted power, I could have either paid more for a brand name, or gotten a civic and a forced induction kit.

If your friends are narrowminded and biased, then it's their loss. My bro only likes american muscle cars, but he really likes my car. I'd rather drive my car than my bro's mustang.

The TSX is an entry-luxury car...not a performance car....so they shouldn't look at it's hp...they should look at what it has inside ;-)
Old 05-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Instructor

TSX is good enough for me. and i do feel it is fast. i hate people who wants a car with a lot of HP but can't really handle it.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Pro

thanks guys....i think the misconception is because not alot of people know about the car. So if I tell them I bought a TSX, the convo goes like this...

Me: "I got a new tsx..it's sweet as hell"
Them: "Oh dang...for real? That's the Acura right? How many HP does it have?"
Me: "It got like 200hp...not super fast but it's cool."
Them: <insert stupid comment>
Me: "Stfu. You should check out my navi...it's sooo awesome."
Them: "Why didn't you get the TL??" (everyone knows about the TL for some reason...)

So i think it's just because not many people know about the TSX and the features it offers compared to other car. And dont worry...most people love my car...just a few that's messing with me...no biggie at all. But I figure some of you guys probably ran into the same situations too.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
It isn't slow....consider that a BMW 330 can be outaccelerated by a new camry, and put things into the proper perspective. What the heck do your friends drive anyways?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Let me help you!

Them: "Why didn't you get the TL??" (everyone knows about the TL for some reason...)

So i think it's just because not many people know about the TSX and the features it offers compared to other car. And dont worry...most people love my car...just a few that's messing with me...no biggie at all. But I figure some of you guys probably ran into the same situations too.

I didn't even know about the TSX until I started researching into the TL and RL. My family has mostly Honda, and I frequent several Honda boards. The TSX has been a super rare car in my area....but I'm slowly starting to see them around.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Master Graphic Artist

I take them to an autocross and see what's up. (driving + balance > HP)
Old 05-02-2006, 12:09 AM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Admit it. Just about anything will blow us off the road, minivans, sub-$20,000 cars, you got to check accords and camrys for V-6. We don't really have even 200 hp except at high revs, and the torque is a much lower number.

I bought for comfort/handling/reliability/shifter/TCO, etc. If I make mods, will play to the strength of handling. The comfort/handling combo is amazing.

The price of gas has to shift the tilt to the TSX. Met a guy this weekend, trading a WRX and an SUV for Prius. Another one going from Grand Cherokee to Lexus RX hybrid, just so he looks environmental in spite of a breakeven point of maybe 200,000 miles.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Banned

Old 05-02-2006, 01:37 AM
OEM plus!

They are just saying all of that ish to break your balls, thats all. You could just wait until something breaks on their car and say "damn that would be under warranty on my car". Make some shit up, if a friend of yours has something like an X5, tell them that it looks like a RAV4! Something along those lines.

I would like to know what your friends drive so I can give you better responses on what you should say.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:04 AM
No-navi, yo

cute girl!

Anyways, ninjamyst, you can do two things -- go get a new car or get new friends... which ever is easier for you. Or you could just tune their voices out and enjoy your car.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:18 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
BMWs and porsche?? I can see BMWs but Porsches??
Old 05-02-2006, 02:23 AM
Let me help you!

Originally Posted by BusyShifter
cute girl!

Anyways, ninjamyst, you can do two things -- go get a new car or get new friends... which ever is easier for you. Or you could just tune their voices out and enjoy your car.
I think he already got a new car, and now he has his problem. I guess his only option is new friends ;-)

Maybe if he drives his friends around enough, they'll find out how nice it is
Old 05-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Advanced

i tell them
well you know my car is a $40,000 CAN and its more expensive than your ride. Even the money i spent on my mods could prob buy your car off

it shuts em up lol
Old 05-02-2006, 07:33 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
BMWs and porsche?? I can see BMWs but Porsches??
yup, i've seen a few cayman's eye my TSX.. even a couple have tried to race me.. i just look the other way.

i feel like a magnet when driving.. thats the reason i put 20% tint because i feel like if i pick my nose someone will always be watching.

i also think the car being blue makes people look more..
Old 05-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Instructor

you get your car for yourself, not your friends
Old 05-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
NOthing like those great friends that always support you eh

I have a friend like that, he always says that hondas/acuras are too slow =/ but hes a hypo, because he drives a prelude himself =D
Old 05-02-2006, 08:31 AM
PWP Wh0r3

there's no point explaining to them or argue with them, its their opinion, you bought the car for yourself like others have said.

just enjoy your car
Old 05-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

A lot of the local bimmer board member teasing me that even their power window motor has more torque than my TSX but who cares I just know my TSX drives way more better, smoother, refiner than my E46 328i and I dun need to spend my arm & legs to maintain it. Also those loser with 320i, 323 even not able to touch my torqueless TSX at all.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Enjoy what you have and don't worry about your envious friends...........
Old 05-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Unauthorized User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what kind of cars do your so called friends drive? i'd like to know, i'm sure most of us here would like to know since they're making fun of your TSX
Old 05-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Instructor

really when u think about it the TSX makes quite a bit of h.p.(esp. for being naturally aspirated 4 banger) and has near identical h.p. numbers to its competion.

A4 2.0 with 200 h.p.
saab 9-3 with 210h.p.
(both turbos, and i dont feel like looking up there tourqe right now - and has the same 0-60 times)

but with both of those when you start adding options on to make them compairable to the tsx they quickly rise to near 33- 35k dollar cars.

But my 2.5 altima has 175 h.p. and 180 tourqe at 4 grand...so its "feels faster" than a TSX but is over a second slower to 60. But yes the TSX needs to be given some more tourqe but we've all known that from the start. Another thing to remeber is that the "seat of your pants" is by far the least accurate way to judge how fast a car is.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
It isn't slow....consider that a BMW 330 can be outaccelerated by a new camry, and put things into the proper perspective. What the heck do your friends drive anyways?

And also consider that the cheapest 3-series has an inline-6 and it only gets 215hp. And it is a bit more expensive than the TSX.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:14 AM
04 remembrance

yup, i've seen a few cayman's eye my TSX.. even a couple have tried to race me.. i just look the other way.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by VegaTSX
So what kind of cars do your so called friends drive? i'd like to know, i'm sure most of us here would like to know since they're making fun of your TSX
Most of them don't really drive expensive cars. They are really into cars but just can't afford them =P. But if they can, they rather buy European like BMW or Audi. But I do understand where they are coming from. If they told me they bought a 200hp 4 cylinder without a turbo for $30k, I will give them a funny look too. I had the same impression about the TSX when I first researched on it. But once I found out more, I love everything about it and the slight lack of power is no longer a concern. Honestly, you can only go so fast when driving in the city and there's no way I am risking a ticket to street race some punk.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Originally Posted by rugbybrado
Another thing to remeber is that the "seat of your pants" is by far the least accurate way to judge how fast a car is.
Precisely. I was thinking along those same lines reading the thread. The fastest off the line isn't necessarily the first to cross the finish...

Besides...most people aren't racing their TSX's anyways. I had some douche in an old civic with some altezza's and about 20 stickers (4hp each, ya know?) pull up next to me and rev. I just ignore them. What do I care? I'm driving a car I like the way I want to, so fuck everyone else. My mother gave me shit when I was looking at going back to a car from my Trailblazer, about how my friends will fit in the car or my dog. I simply asked "when has anyone other than me made my car payments?" and that was the end of the conversation.

If they don't like the car or the supposed lack of power...then oh well, next subject. If they keep harping on it, don't talk to 'em. It's some high school, fast and the furious type shit that only posers really care about.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The guy that used to work on my TR2 (replaced it and a Dodge Grand Caravan with the TSX) could lap Mosport in the 1:39's in a modded 1200cc (?) Bugeye Sprite, with, say, 70, 80hp. The Ferrari 355 I tried to follow in my Civic was casually doing 1:50's, vs my 1: 55's, and I'll bet most of that difference was on the Andretti straight.

Where can you go fast anymore on the street, except in the corners. Go to racing school. Understand that there is "class racing", and then at least you, and perhaps your passengers, will appreciate the TSX, and your abilities.

One of the things that I liked about driving the Triumph was that I knew that most people could not even start that car, let alone drive it!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Unauthorized User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of them don't really drive expensive cars. They are really into cars but just can't afford them =P. But if they can, they rather buy European like BMW or Audi. But I do understand where they are coming from. If they told me they bought a 200hp 4 cylinder without a turbo for $30k, I will give them a funny look too. I had the same impression about the TSX when I first researched on it. But once I found out more, I love everything about it and the slight lack of power is no longer a concern. Honestly, you can only go so fast when driving in the city and there's no way I am risking a ticket to street race some punk.
Exactly! they can't afford a 30k car that's the key word, and if something is wrong with their less expensive cars and needed a ride tell them to take the Bus hehe.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Advanced

I love the TSX, I dont really care what other people say but when my best friend that has a twin turbo supra told me the TSX is a sweet ride, I think that says something.

Quick Reply: How do you guys deal when people laugh at your slow TSX?