Hood Shocks Installed and Review

Old 08-11-2005, 08:26 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood Shocks Installed and Review

This is the follow up to this thread about Redline Tunning hood shocks.

Here are some pics of the installed shocks (sorry for the blurry pics).

REVIEW...

I met up with the owners, Brian and Andreas, Tuesday evening to get the hood shocks installed. They were very professional and courteous. They took their time and made sure that it was installed in the best possible location given the tight clearances under the hood. They definitely get

As far as the shocks are concerned, they are fantastic! You just need to raise the hood about half way and let go. The shocks then take over and smoothly raise the hood the rest of the way!

The only side effect is that with the shocks, the hood doesn’t go as high as it used to go, but by a very small amount, I would say an inch at most. But personally, I think that the added access to the hood outweighs the 1, or so, inch of lost hood height.

They are going to have two different models available for the TSX, the QuickLIFT and QuickLIFT Elite. I got the QuickLIFT because I liked the all black look, but the stainless steel QuickLIFT Elite looks awesome too. You can compare the differences on their site here.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the product and recommend it 100%.

According to Andreas, the kit should be available next week and as early as Monday. He said that prices would be the same as their kits for other cars... $59.99 for QuickLIFT and $109.95 for QuickLIFT Elite.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks good. Is that the highest the hood would go? Can you still use the hood prop to raise the hood to the vertical position?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:32 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
very cool.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!! MrChad and I were talking last night about mounting points and those are EXACTLY what I was going to choose. THAT'S AWESOME!!!

I think I would like a little more extention too, but it looks great!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool! Now that you've got your hood open, you can start to put some mods in there.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just curious. What is the advantage of having hood shocks? I mean, other than not needing the "hood stick" to prop up the hood when open.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by jlukja
Just curious. What is the advantage of having hood shocks? I mean, other than not needing the "hood stick" to prop up the hood when open.
cause its
Old 08-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Well, I guess they're just a little more luxury. I mean, I did the trunk shocks and can say the same. I like the way my trunk opens and closes now, but over all, just an interesting mod.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
Well, I guess they're just a little more luxury. I mean, I did the trunk shocks and can say the same. I like the way my trunk opens and closes now, but over all, just an interesting mod.
I think they look I understood the trunk shock would be useful to get rid of the springs and make more room for larger 6x9 speakers. I was just curious. No criticism intended.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Not having the sub-moron at the local tire shop grab a 2x4 to prop the hood up when they can't find the prop rod?

It's legal to carry a gun down here and I thought about using mine when that happened.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

I think they look I understood the trunk shock would be useful to get rid of the springs and make more room for larger 6x9 speakers. I was just curious. No criticism intended.
Oh, I didn't take it that way. I'm the type of member that always welcomes questions and tries to help answer... while trying to maintain some fun too. I'm just glad to see that these ppl mounted it EXACTLY how I would've. My next thought is, can they put another 1/2" of extention on the shock b/c that would translate into probably 3-4" at the end of the hood.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Bill Hook
Not having the sub-moron at the local tire shop grab a 2x4 to prop the hood up when they can't find the prop rod?

It's legal to carry a gun down here and I thought about using mine when that happened.
Yeah, if I saw that I'd take out the hood prop and beat the moron with it!!
Old 08-11-2005, 11:08 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JTso
Looks good. Is that the highest the hood would go? Can you still use the hood prop to raise the hood to the vertical position?
No you can't use the hood prop because it is lower by like an inch or so. Why would you want to though? Not having the hood prop makes the engine bay fell so much more open. I am going to start modding soon (new house=no $$), so this should allow for easier access.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:40 AM
yup.

do the shocks require any drilling, or do they attach via existing holes?

also, does the hood flex at all during opening and closing?

looks like a worthwhile mod!
Old 08-11-2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by kangjin

yeah you have to drill 8 holes for the pop rivets....you check check out the install instructions on their site.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:48 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by kangjin

Yes they require a total of 3 holes. 2 are for mounting the base bracket and one on the hinge of the hood. The instructions that they provide will show exactly where to put the holes and the size of the drill bits that you need. They were even taking pictures while they were doing the installation to include in the instruction manual.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:50 AM

oops, i was going off of the accord install....
Old 08-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vato
No you can't use the hood prop because it is lower by like an inch or so. Why would you want to though? Not having the hood prop makes the engine bay fell so much more open. I am going to start modding soon (new house=no $$), so this should allow for easier access.
The shocks look good for shows and they are nicely done. However, I wouldn't want to work under a hood supported by the gas shocks, especially with a heavy hood like ours. It's kind of like working under the car supported only by a jack, but no jack stands. If you actually use the rod and prop the hood fully open vertically, it provides even more open space.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JTso
The shocks look good for shows and they are nicely done. However, I wouldn't want to work under a hood supported by the gas shocks, especially with a heavy hood like ours. It's kind of like working under the car supported only by a jack, but no jack stands. If you actually use the rod and prop the hood fully open vertically, it provides even more open space.
I asked vato to send some info. about the shocks... like pounds of pressure and such. If, as in the case of the trunk mod, one of the shocks don't work, the other should still hold it up. I used 2x 90lb shocks on the trunk and 1 holds it up just fine. That trunk weighs a ton... as I regretfully found out with my legs hanging out the trunk... OUCH!!!! Still have the gash from it.

I also will kindly ask Redline to increase the lift via an email. Nothing more than using a longer rod on the shock. .5" should yield a large amount of movement at the end of the hood. My guess is if they don't, I will part this out myself using the same source for my trunk parts.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

I just wrote the following note to Redline:

To whom it may concern,

We all at Acurazine have gotten a look at your beautiful QuickLift setup for the TSX. Top notch!!! Only one request though, could you increase the shock rod length by .5" or so? We all believe it would be much better to have about 2-3" more of clearence via a more open hood.

Please respond as we are all anxious to purchase the kit; we're hearing soon evidently.

Thanks kindly.

Ryan

Old 08-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Advanced

f that. ive had those on numerous cars. and they ALWAYS fail. and they fail when you need them. when its hot summer and your car or someone elses has a dead battery and whamo... your freaking hood wont stay open. I like the hood prop and dont understand why people change them out.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dontcare4urshyt
f that. ive had those on numerous cars. and they ALWAYS fail. and they fail when you need them. when its hot summer and your car or someone elses has a dead battery and whamo... your freaking hood wont stay open. I like the hood prop and dont understand why people change them out.
Not to be antagonistic, but I've had hood latches fail, hood rod holders fail (that little plastic clip) and scratch the hell out of the surrounding area. Everything has its plus and minus. If you keep the shock rod clean and lubed, you should be able to minimize any failure. The way I see it, this has very little modification to the car (if done cleanly) so going back would be simple and almost unnoticeable.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,490 Posts
cant wait for these but i am going to need some shocks that have less ft lbs of lift cause of my carbon fiber hood.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
cant wait for these but i am going to need some shocks that have less ft lbs of lift cause of my carbon fiber hood.
Do you recall what the estimated weights were of both hoods? I thought someone might have posted that at one time.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,490 Posts
I do not remember the actual weights but i was suprised at how light our facotry hood was compared to other hoods I had lifted.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

I do not remember the actual weights but i was suprised at how light our facotry hood was compared to other hoods I had lifted.
I had the same opinion last night as I was thinking about how redline would do this mod.

I've written them about the shock length needing to be marginally longer. I'm assuming you're using the stock hinges as well, right?

No reason they couldn't mod up a light push shock for you.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:32 PM
10th Gear

I had the same opinion last night as I was thinking about how redline would do this mod.

I've written them about the shock length needing to be marginally longer. I'm assuming you're using the stock hinges as well, right?

No reason they couldn't mod up a light push shock for you.

That is what I was going to suggest. The owners are very down to earth and approachable. I am sure they would be willing to help you out... give them a call or email.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Got a reply from Brian at Redline:

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in our hood QuickLIFT kit.

Unfortunately, we cannot increase the gas spring length, except to say that
our next available custom gas spring is 2 inches longer. The next length we
use lifts the hood vertically, not to ideal. Also, the lower mounting
location is extremely limited and this forced the current design. We felt
that there was plenty of hood height, not much off from stock, and this is
what we shoot for.

Once we get our hands on a TSX hood hinge bolt, we will be able to purchase
the remaining item we need for the kit - if anyone has one they might not
mind giving up for a few days, please let us know.

Thanks,
Brian
Redline Tuning

I also asked the CF hood question.

Brian's email is brian@redlinetuning.com
Old 08-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like! I like!
Old 08-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

The easiest thing to do would be to lower where the shock mounts on the hood hind. This will give you a bit more lift.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Here's the word from Redline Tuning about you cf hood:

Hello Ryan,

Yes, we will do this for those who specify this. However, it usually makes
no difference. Our gas springs have a slow release over the final inch of
travel and this slow release eliminates the need to go with any lighter gas
springs (for the most part). We will occassionally put together custom kits
for those people who have hoods that are 1/2 the weight or less than stock,
however, since we do not have any special way for people to order these, it
must be upon request. Actually, the reason we don't have a special way to
order them is because it isn't necessary (as mentioned above).

Thanks,
Brian
Redline Tuning
Old 08-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
What is the lifespan of those gas shocks? I know most 10 year old hatchback lifting shocks are worn to the point that they have to be physically lifted and the shocks provide about 1% of the lifting force required...

And, they don't "stick" at the top... they tend to fall back down (albeit slowly).

If these shocks are immune to this, then this is a great mod... otherwise, I can't see it lasting TOO long (more than 8-10 years) without causing some aggravation.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by curls
What is the lifespan of those gas shocks? I know most 10 year old hatchback lifting shocks are worn to the point that they have to be physically lifted and the shocks provide about 1% of the lifting force required...

And, they don't "stick" at the top... they tend to fall back down (albeit slowly).

If these shocks are immune to this, then this is a great mod... otherwise, I can't see it lasting TOO long (more than 8-10 years) without causing some aggravation.
Typically what ruins those shocks is years of dirt getting onto shock rod and then grind across the seal. That aside, shocks do fail for various reasons. For $60, I think this is a great mod since I tried building a kit and couldn't get the same quality of shocks and parts for as good of a price, not to mention, Redline will stand behind their products. I've emailed them no less than 4 times and I've been responded to in less than 4 hours.

When you meet with someone who has a V6 accord (SaraWI) and they have hood shocks OEM , yet you're driving an Acura with a hood prop, well, makes me want the hood shocks. That's why I'm doing it... b/c I want them.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:10 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

My Elite kit showed up with rivets, not screws?

I just got a responce e-mail from Brian the kit was intended to be used with screws not rivets. I'm going to have Brian mail me some screws for my kit or at least tell me which ones they used in the install.

I'm going to use the screws not the rivets. Brian apologized but the kit should have shipped with screws, not rivets. He sounded like it would be fine to use the rivets so Moda-way is still ok
Old 09-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MrChad
My Elite kit showed up with rivets, not screws?

I just got a responce e-mail from Brian the kit was intended to be used with screws not rivets. I'm going to have Brian mail me some screws for my kit or at least tell me which ones they used in the install.

I'm going to use the screws not the rivets. Brian apologized but the kit should have shipped with screws, not rivets. He sounded like it would be fine to use the rivets so Moda-way is still ok
Are you saying both kits should have used screws?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:17 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Are you saying both kits should have used screws?
Yes.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:03 AM
Drifting

Looks nice.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:09 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Installation of Elite kit:

Measured and re-measured the holes to be drilled in the hood hinge...the directions are wrong, you only need to use a 5/16" bit NOT a 3/8" bit to install the pivot balls for the hood hinges.

Pilot hole with 5/32" drill bit. I used new Vermont-American (metal cutting bits, I got mine at Menards. Home Depot has plenty of metal specific drill bits too.)

Your finished holes, reamed with drill bit in reverse--no filing needed then. Apply liberal OEM touch up paint.

See 5/16" was plenty big enough, the pivot mount just plopped right in.

I don't know how the tech in the instruction from redline did this, but you need to hold the finder bracket down when you drill in the first screw or it will wip that bad boy around when you drive the self tapping screw into the 5/32" pilot hole you drilled into the fender. The thread of the screw and the mount are both 5/32" so it's not a simple fit. The screw thread's itself into the base bracket and the fender.

Finished results, looks ok to me.

I'm very happy with the finished install. It's so much nicer not needing the hood prop stick though.

However, Redline Tuning needs to re-write the installation directions. I checked and re-checked the measurements 5-6x each. Plus you need to double check the bits they want you to use several times as well.

Don't use a 3/8" bit on your hood, you don't need a hole that big in your hood. Plus I had to wait a few extra days for them to ship me the fender screws that should have been in the kit. So be warned, double check your kit for content, you don't need to get a rivet gun for this install.

If your kit comes with rivets, e-mail them and get the screws....
Old 09-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MrChad

Finished results, looks ok to me.
I like the Elite kit a little more, but I gotta tell ya, I like the rivet's look a little better. Seem more clean, but to each his own.

Nice install too!!! BTW, not sure what you were talking about when you drilled the second hole. I marked both at once, scored the first hole to drill, drilled it and then verified my second mark was still correct. It wasn't until I had both holes drilled that I installed the plate. I thought it was bogus on the instructions, so I did it my way... was a lot easier.

Also, I thought the 3/8" drill bit business was fishy, but I followed them... you proved me right... no need for that bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood Shocks Installed and Review