Homelink + Neighborhood Gate

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homelink + Neighborhood Gate

My GF lives in a gated community which requires a little remote to open the gate, similar to a garage door opener remote. I was wondering if/how I can program my Homelink to control the gate similar to how I programed her garage door opener. I tried the same steps as a static code but it didn't work. I would've tried to same steps as the rolling code but obviously the gate doesn't have a "learn" button accessible - at least not that I can tell.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any success with this, or if its even possible.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I would guess the gate is not Homelink-compatible, for security reasons.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
short of gluing the little remote next to your home-link, youd probably have to talk to the front office about doing that... i used to live in a gated once, and i didn't know anyone that has actually done that...
Old 11-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I found these instruction on Homelink.com but they look like standard garage door openers. The apartment unit may not be homelink compatible. You can always call the 800 number below.

Programming HomeLink
HomeLink® Training Instructions
Print These InstructionsProcess: Program a gate operator
Vehicle: 2006 Acura TSX
HomeLink® Location: Overhead
Please review all precautions listed at the end of this document.

Please note it is recommended to have new batteries in your handheld garage door transmitter prior to programming and pull your vehicle complete outside of the garage because the door will activate during programming

1.For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink® indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink® buttons.)
2.Hold both the handheld transmitter button and the HomeLink® button you would like to program until the HomeLink® flashes slowly then rapidly (then release both buttons)
3.Press and hold the HomeLink® button you just programmed. If the garage door opens/closes then programming is complete. If it does not then proceed to step 4.
4.Get a ladder and press and release the “learn” button on the back of your garage door motor head
5.Within 30 seconds get back into your vehicle and press and release the HomeLink® button you just programmed up to 3 times or until your garage door activates. Programming is complete.
If you need further assistance, please call HomeLink® Customer care at 1-800- 355-3515.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Intermediate

Give it a try. All it is doing is learning the signal. Should work.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I think the OP has it right. If the gate was made after sometime in the early 90s its more than likely a rolling code system. If that's the case you can teach the Homelink the gate remote, but if you can't teach the gate the car's code its useless. Case in point, look at Genie garage door openers. All of their rolling code units use the same frequency range. You can go into just about any hardware store and buy the exact same remote and it'll work as long as you can teach the powerhead the new transmitter. So once your Homelink is programmed for a Genie rolling code garage door opener, you don't have to reteach it if you move or get a new one. You just have to teach the new powerhead.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by VT-TSX
My GF lives in a gated community which requires a little remote to open the gate, similar to a garage door opener remote. I was wondering if/how I can program my Homelink to control the gate similar to how I programed her garage door opener. I tried the same steps as a static code but it didn't work. I would've tried to same steps as the rolling code but obviously the gate doesn't have a "learn" button accessible - at least not that I can tell.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any success with this, or if its even possible.
I have been able to program my communities gate code into my Homelink. It toll about a minute of holding the homelink button and continually pushing the gate remote.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
I have been able to program my communities gate code into my Homelink. It toll about a minute of holding the homelink button and continually pushing the gate remote.
Can you please explain in more detail? How many times did you continually push the gate remote, and for how long? Thanks!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I pushed the button about every two seconds (press, one-thousand-one, one-thosand-two, release, repeat) while continually holding the homelink botton until it flashes rapidly.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
Thanks, but unfortunately that did not work for my gate. I guess I will have to try to gain access to the learn button somehow.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More than likely a rolling code system and the gate will have to be set to learn your Homelink signal. Similar to all newer garage door openers.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, this is just my $.02, but... I, too live in a gated community, and I have successfully programmed the HomeLink for both my garage and my gate (and a friend's gate, too). Being part of the HOA, I can tell you that the gates are not for security per se. Their for access control. So I have my doubts that the HOA where your g/f lives invested in gates with rolling codes. Most places cheap out on the gates.

Anyway, I've had trouble before with the HomeLink. We tried programming the gate remote on our friend's HomeLink ('05 Accord EX), and we couldn't get it to take (I only tried once, due to time constraints). I also had to reprogram my own HomeLink, and I had issues. If I were you, I'd try this: Reset all the buttons (refer to the manual for a how-to —the Quick Start Guide explains this, I think), and then try to program the gate, the garage, etc. Starting from scratch has helped me a few times with the HomeLink.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:45 PM
6th Gear

My HO Assn. installed new electronics on entry gate. Would like to try to reprogram button 3 (far Right). This for 2007 TSX. Do not wish to erase memory in garage button 1 (far left). Any suggestions?