Got a motto/tag-line for T-shirts and other stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 11:36 AM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
??Got a motto/tag-line for T-shirts and other stuff??

With the blessing and encouragement of soop, we're wondering if you want to suggest a tag-line or whatever you want to call it (motto, title, even maybe site-nickname) to put on T-shirts and stuff. The way it started was, I offered the bannable thought that "acura-tsx.com" (bless its soul) isn't the catchiest name to put on stuff -- after all, admit it: wouldn't you have bought more stuff that said something like "ClubTSX" on it than "acura-tsx.com"? Then pinky agreed, and noted that with acura-tsx.com it might look like it was just something that we bought at the dealership, and actually that's part of what I meant too.

We're NOT talking about changing the name of the site. Also, this isn't really a "contest," because it's not like there's just ONE motto or whatever that we have to agree on; soopa says we can basically put out whatever we want. But I think it might be a good idea to suggest some things and see if there is one (or maybe a few) that a lot of people like.

We're not looking particularly for DESIGNS yet (although you can put whatever you want on here -- THIS site is a free country!), just a title or phrase or motto or site-nickname or something like that.

I nominate "TSXLovers," which actually comes from my lady. (She says chix'll love it.) But the other day (before we knew that this site would rise up again, when we were tossing out ideas for the name of a new site), a few of the dudes were just shooting the breeze and came up with other good ideas. I remember that Jason came up with about ten real good ones within less than a minute, without even trying really. So I'm sure we could come up with good things. And it's great that soopa is all for it.

So, that's my opening move: TSXLovers. Who's next?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:00 PM
Instructor

We can jump on the bandwagon and say "Got TSX?"
Old 07-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

"This aint no Accord"

J.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:27 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
bowers you should check up on larchs topic in O/T
Old 07-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Racer

TSXpress
Old 07-07-2003, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

TSXtreme... TSXcite... (A little play on words here) and lastly I know this last one is cheesy, but I had to throw it in... OVERTSXed
Old 07-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Instructor

i'm bored at work

simple name:
TSX Owners Club of North America

slogans:

"No Rice, No Bling, Just Drive"

"My TSX beat up your Accord"

"4 + TSX > 6 - TSX"
Old 07-07-2003, 03:31 PM
The Dude

TSX is Too SeXy
Old 07-07-2003, 04:28 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
C-K24
Old 07-07-2003, 09:38 PM
More On

Originally posted by Visorboy
TSXpress
OK, I'd say we're cookin' a little bit.

I think Visorboy did it up even better on Bowersan's thread:

"TSXpress yourself at Acura-TSX.com"

I still also like my lady's idea, "TSXLovers" -- but then again I have to push that one or my ass is grass.

P.S. C-K24??????
Old 07-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by larchmont
P.S. C-K24??????
Like "See K24 (TSX engine code)"
Old 07-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This is kinda close to the C&D quote I think, but how about something like this --

"Born in Japan, raised in Europe, enjoyed in North America ... Acura TSX"
Old 07-07-2003, 10:08 PM
More On

Originally posted by provench
Like "See K24 (TSX engine code)"
Huh. Okay. But for us fossils, maybe the only thing we think of is an old Soupy Sales joke. You kiddies might not know Soupy Sales, but let me tell you, he's highly relevant at this moment, because he had a kiddie TV show and he was constantly getting BANNED! (Not kidding.) Even though this was in the early '60's, which by the way was really part of the '50's.
So, speaking of See K24, one of the famous examples was:

Soupy Sales had this sort-of-muppet-like creature named Fang, who didn't really speak, he just grunted -- but Soupy had the ability to understand what Fang was saying. One day, he was teaching Fang the alphabet. He would hold up one letter after another, and Fang would say the letter -- just a grunt, of course. On the first letter, Soupy says, "That's right Fang -- A." Then, "That's right -- B." And so on. But on "F," Soupy decides that Fang gave the wrong grunt. "No, not K -- F!" He gives Fang another chance, but again the same thing -- "No, not K -- F!" Soupy tries a couple more times, but same thing. Finally, in exasperation, he says:

"How come when I hold up F you see K?"

Soupy got banned.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:11 PM
More On

Originally posted by provench
"Born in Japan, raised in Europe, enjoyed in North America ... Acura TSX"
I think I liked Evang's wing-thing better.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I think I liked Evang's wing-thing better.
provench larchmont
Old 07-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here we go again. Anywho, I think the website has to be featured on shirt or hat design. I thought Killers red/white/blue design was kinda cool. I mean were trying to bring attention to the TSX right? And the website also correct? Just my 2 cents. Again.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:09 AM
Über Geek

Re: i'm bored at work

Originally posted by hobbestec
simple name: TSX Owners Club of North America
This raises a good question: are we promoting a club or a site?

Personally, I think this feels like a club that happens to have a website.

So with that, I say we pick a club name we all dig. It should reflect the classy/sporty nature of the car without being too cute. Then we have some fun with a logo and tagline. In any artwork, the URL justs come along for the ride.

Killer's red, white, and blue thing was cool for getting us over here to the promised land (especially around Independence Day) but is too rah-rah for a long-term ID. Besides, it leaves out our Canadian brothers, eh?

Maybe TOCONA is too unwieldy?
How about North American TSX Owners (NATO)? Oops, that's taken.

Or, we drop the North American part -- the TSX only exists in NA.

I dunno. It's too early for me to be creative. I'll try later but what do y'all think?

Larch:
I'm a wee bit young to remember that Soupy Sales gag but I know and love the one where he told kids to take money from their parents' wallets and send it to him. And lots did.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:44 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few catchphrases with acura-tsx.com somewhere on the shirt in smaller type (maybe a collared shirt with acura-tsx.com at the base of the collar):

Drive.TSX
Run.TSX
Fly.TSX

I don't know, something like that. Then whatever we choose, we could have a line drawing of the TSX. Nothing serious or huge, but something nice and simple. And not the hood of the car with ears (side mirrors) sticking out. I'd have better ideas but I haven't had any coffee this morning.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Soupy Sales had this sort-of-muppet-like creature named Fang, who didn't really speak, he just grunted -- but Soupy had the ability to understand what Fang was saying. One day, he was teaching Fang the alphabet. He would hold up one letter after another, and Fang would say the letter -- just a grunt, of course. On the first letter, Soupy says, "That's right Fang -- A." Then, "That's right -- B." And so on. But on "F," Soupy decides that Fang gave the wrong grunt. "No, not K -- F!" He gives Fang another chance, but again the same thing -- "No, not K -- F!" Soupy tries a couple more times, but same thing. Finally, in exasperation, he says:

"How come when I hold up F you see K?"

Soupy got banned.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:29 AM
More On

Re: Re: i'm bored at work

Originally posted by captainjack
This raises a good question: are we promoting a club or a site?

Personally, I think this feels like a club that happens to have a website.

So with that, I say we pick a club name we all dig. It should reflect the classy/sporty nature of the car without being too cute. Then we have some fun with a logo and tagline. In any artwork, the URL justs come along for the ride.

Killer's red, white, and blue thing was cool for getting us over here to the promised land (especially around Independence Day) but is too rah-rah for a long-term ID. Besides, it leaves out our Canadian brothers, eh?

Maybe TOCONA is too unwieldy?
How about North American TSX Owners (NATO)? Oops, that's taken.

Or, we drop the North American part -- the TSX only exists in NA.

I dunno. It's too early for me to be creative. I'll try later but what do y'all think?....
Good stuff. I think Captain has stated the basic principles real well and I agree with the ideas, including that the phrase and image should not be highly specific to the U.S. But a couple of things:

--IMHO those specific titles are unwieldy and/or not really catchy -- but maybe on the right track!

-- I'm not sure it's good to think of coming up with a "club name," which probably should just be acura-tsx.com -- unless the admins and mods tell us otherwise. (That's why I was taking pains to use phrases other than "club name" -- like club nickname, tag-line etc.) I may sound like I'm kissing butt, but -- just as I keep saying I hope ClubTSX learned something from our fiasco, I try to learn from fiascos too. I don't feel I/we did anything wrong, but that situation gave me a sharper sense of working with a site, and I'm trying to follow that. The admins/mods over here have shown they want to try very hard to do what they can for us, within reason -- and we should return the favor in kind. My impression is that they firmly want the "club name" to be acura-tsx.com, but that we can put whatever else we want (within reason) on our stuff. That already sounds eminently generous to me. If they also feel that we can pick an actual "club name" in what we're doing now, we could take note of that, but if not, no problem. We'll just have to think of it as something other than "club name."

Maybe I'm splitting hairs on what CaptainJack said; maybe he didn't necessarily mean "club name" per se, but mainly was emphasizing that we pick ONE THING, rather than leave it loose for people to come up with any number of tags and slogans -- and I totally agree with that.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:35 AM
The Creator

ok heres my input...

yes - the name acura-tsx.com should always be predominant.

we need a slogan - if the slogan consists of a `club` name/description - cool...

heres the only thing... i would avoid at ALL COSTS using the words `club` and `tsx` in the same slogan because if some n00b reads that... goes to google and searches 'tsx owners club' or something... the first thing they will probably get is CLUBTSX...

causing mass confusion.

.... just a logistical point of view.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:40 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
acura-tsx.com

"Smart cars for Smart People."
Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 AM
More On

Originally posted by soopa
.....heres the only thing... i would avoid at ALL COSTS using the words `club` and `tsx` in the same slogan because if some n00b reads that... goes to google and searches 'tsx owners club' or something... the first thing they will probably get is CLUBTSX...

causing mass confusion.

.... just a logistical point of view.
Yes, I was assuming that, and it's good to have it right out there.

Besides what soop said, at this point anything with "Club" in it just feels icky.

But I do think that TSX needs to be in it.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:55 AM
The Creator

Originally posted by 1killercls
acura-tsx.com

"Smart cars for Smart People."

i like. but sounds more like were selling the car then selling the group/site whatever...

sounds like a slogan for the Honda Insight