Frustrated TSX Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Frustrated TSX Owner

This post is primarily a rant, so if you want to comment feel free, but please do not feel like I am putting anyone down for purchasing a TSX. With that said...

Like many of you, I purchased the TSX (2008) because of its reliability and entry into the luxury segment. Unfortunately, I continue to be more and more disappointed by my TSX. While, I have had no mechanical issues with my car, the fit and finish of this TSX is poor, and I hate to say it, but I could have easily bought a Ford, GM, Chrysler and had less rattles and squeaks. Tomorrow will mark the third time that I bring the car to the dealer for a rattle in the driver door. The dealer has fixed this twice, but it continues to come back. Additionally, a new noise has surfaced -- a popping sound when the sunroof is initially put into the tilt position.

Now, I realize some of you may say that rattles are a normal part of buying a car, and that they are near impossible to locate, so don't blame the dealer -- and I'm not.

My point here is that a car that is considered part of a luxury brand, that is only 6 months old, should not have defects in fit and finish from the factory. Over time, I understand, but in my opinion, a ~$30K luxury car, from a manufacturer that has high reliability, should not rattle, squeak or pop.

OK. I feel better now.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Actually that seems a bit unusual, and yes, one would expect better from a TSX.

You know, using some dynamat (or equivalent) in the doors and rear deck may help. I've fully dynamatted all four doors (actually, I used Raamat - much cheaper), the trunk and the rear deck (underside). It's all a very doable DIY and costs under $150. My 06 is virtually rattle free, and the stereo quality is much better (you can upgrade the speakers while the doors are off too). Just a thought...

A small bit about mine:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/noise-reduction-using-raammat-bxt-06-tsx-678928/

Really good door removal instructions:
http://www.chrishorne.com/gallery/TSXspeakers

If you think you're interested, I'll post more.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:06 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
My 06 developed a slight rattle when it was about 6 months old. I mentioned it to the service advisor-Whatever was done-no more rattle (knock-on wood) It has 67,000+miles now.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:11 PM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, your car should not rattle.
I too own an 08, and there is not one single rattle anywhere.
My driver's side seat squeaked some, but that was fixed easy at
the dealer, it's a known issue with all year TSX's (04-08).
no rattle in any door or the sunroof... yet.
I too would be a bit upset and not rest until it went away.

I would recommend continued visits to the dealer until it is fixed.
they are bound to figure it out at some point, and that's their job.
frustrating though.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:07 PM
resident asshole

My car is 2.5 years old... not a single problem with fit and finish.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

"but I could have easily bought a Ford, GM, Chrysler and had less rattles and squeaks"

Yeah its hard to get it too squeak or rattle when its sitting at the dealer waiting for repairs.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Boring Teacher

Actually, this is a very common problem with the TSX. I totally agree with you...this should not be happening!!
My 06 had rattles in the driver's door from the day I drove it off the lot. 11 trips to the dealership later...they finally got the rattle to go away and stay away. Unfortunately, now I'm dealing with a rattling seatbelt assembly on the driver's side and a trunk button that has just decided to quit working all together. This is all on top of the numerous other wonderful problems I've had with the fit and finish of the car...a passenger seat the creaked everytime someone was sitting in it and I started or stopped the car...a loose driver's seat that creaked when I went around turns...the seat heater in the passenger seat not working after the first winter...the passenger airbag malfunctioning and causing the airbag light to stay on...I could keep going, but will spare you the rest of the nasty details on how many trips my car has made to the dealership OVER AN HOUR AWAY!! Let's just say that I've had over $3000 in small parts replaced under warranty over the past 2 years.

Good luck...I hope you are able to find your rattle soon before it drives you nuts!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Pro

Calcio, I couldn't agree with you more about having high expectations for a car, especially one that is supposedly a lux brand. That said, save for a one noise, which turned out to be relatively simple fix (not that an owner should have to resort to taking his/her brand new, expensive car apart to fix a noise that the dealer couldn't fix), mine's been noise free.

By the way, I once had a noise in my sunroof, and at the same time it wouldn't slide back. Turns out an acorn had gotten in there - probably from me parking with the roof tilted open. Perhaps you might want to check your sunroof for foreign objects.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Rant less, visit dealer more. Give 'em a chance to fix it. They don't call it "warranty" for nothing.

Happy holidays, grumpy.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:11 AM
10th Gear

You should not be so frustated because ALL cars rattle to some extent. Just last night I drove a friends 2004 325i and the car flexes so much that the whole window frame squeeks all the time, also my boss' 645i rattles to some extent. So for a $28k car the TSX is VERY Good. Here in Puerto Rico with all the taxes the TSX costs $38k and even at that price I consider it very good quality. Learn to live with it.

Originally Posted by calcio22
This post is primarily a rant, so if you want to comment feel free, but please do not feel like I am putting anyone down for purchasing a TSX. With that said...

Like many of you, I purchased the TSX (2008) because of its reliability and entry into the luxury segment. Unfortunately, I continue to be more and more disappointed by my TSX. While, I have had no mechanical issues with my car, the fit and finish of this TSX is poor, and I hate to say it, but I could have easily bought a Ford, GM, Chrysler and had less rattles and squeaks. Tomorrow will mark the third time that I bring the car to the dealer for a rattle in the driver door. The dealer has fixed this twice, but it continues to come back. Additionally, a new noise has surfaced -- a popping sound when the sunroof is initially put into the tilt position.

Now, I realize some of you may say that rattles are a normal part of buying a car, and that they are near impossible to locate, so don't blame the dealer -- and I'm not.

My point here is that a car that is considered part of a luxury brand, that is only 6 months old, should not have defects in fit and finish from the factory. Over time, I understand, but in my opinion, a ~$30K luxury car, from a manufacturer that has high reliability, should not rattle, squeak or pop.

OK. I feel better now.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Special-K

Are you driving in silence?.. Your radio/cd player does work you know..haha. Turn up the volume!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:47 AM
gets all the crazy chicks

My car started making the same "popping" sound when I initially tilt the sunroof a few months into owning it, but when I took it to the dealership they said that was normal.

It didn't do it when I first bought it, but I don't know what the problem is so I couldn't really say anything. So long as it's not indicative of a hardware failure I guess...
Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 AM
detour

eh i had the same problem, at one point i was even starting to think how reliable is this car?? i had the rattles on my door, and steering wheel vibration, took it to dealer they said there was something in the freaking air bag?? and had to replace my air bag..blah blah...problems just keep popping up
Old 12-22-2008, 10:41 AM
where is my garage?!

the only rattle i get is the one from the seat belt harness from the pillar beind the driver's seat.

i know there was a fix for it provided by jtso on here.

otherwise, i don't have any abnormal noises other than the occassional squeak from my aftermarket suspension setup.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My sunroof makes a bunch of noise when I open it after it's been closed for a while. It's just the rubber seal unsticking from the metal though. It can be fixed by getting some Shin-Etsu (from a Honda or Acura dealer) and applying it to the rubber seal. It's just a lightweight clear silicon grease that's compatible with the rubber.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

agreed

For the last year and half, my 08 has rattled worse that the worst rental hyundai. It has been to the dealer a few times. They spray it with grease, which helps for a day. Lately the rattles seem to by dwindling. Maybe the car is finally a bit broke in. I would not buy another.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Advanced

I am glad to hear (and appreciate) that others agree with me and believe it's not typical of what is being considered an entry lux car. I purchased an Acura because of the track record for the car, but of all issues, I certainly did not expect so many problems with fit and finish.

For those of you that suggested to deal with it, or turn up the volume, etc, I wish I could be that forgiving, but with all purchases, I have a level of expectations, and being free of squeaks and rattles for at least the first year is one of them. I owned an 11 year old Volvo that was rattle free, and currently own a 2007 Santa Fe, which has 4X the number of miles as the Acura and have had no issues whatsoever. I certainly had higher expectations for a new Acura over my 11 year old 850, and 2007 Hyundai.

As one mentioned, I will be bringing it back to the dealer, and fortunately, for me, they are customer service-oriented. Unfortunately for me, every warranty service I've gone to the dealer for, has required second and third follow-up visits.

Thanks to all who replied, and if for those of you who have noted driver door rattles and sunroof problems, please feel free to post the sound/area you think it's coming from. The more we can all give the dealerships about the problems, the better.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Boring Teacher

For my door rattle...after the 10th unsuccessful troubleshooting visit to the dealership...they finally decided to take the entire door apart (including taking out all of the wires and such) and they lined everything with felt then put it back together. It worked and continues to be silent after almost a full year.
My sunroof does rattle in humid weather, but I just open it and clean the rubber and apply some Armor All to the seal and it keeps it quiet for a few months. The rubber around the sunroof is just too darn sticky! Gotta make it greasy so it will be quiet.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Get some of that Shin-Etsu grease, it will last longer.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Mike D from Ohio

My personal experience is this:

Many roads in the city I live in are very chewed up... continuous bumps sometimes. My friend and I were just talking about it tonight while driving. Its not just me. Everyone I know also agrees. Eventually it damages my car somehow and makes it vibrate and rattle on it's own without bumps. Then, it costs a lot to fix. Usually one of my rims is bent from hitting too many potholes (i dodge most of them). Which is an expensive fix at the dealership.

I mean, I'm not bitching at all. I'm just saying that driving on real bumpy roads a lot could be partially responsible for vibrations and noises. Its just my speculation.

And yes, I do agree that there are a few 'anti-luxuries' that come with the tsx. i'm not disappointed though. Overall, I think its a pretty rad car.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Advanced

Well, I brought the car to the dealer and they believe the issues is that there is excessive grease on the sunroof mechanism, causing the popping sound. They supposedly removed the excessive grease, but the sound is still there. Nonetheless, this diagnosis actually seems correct. I'll have to play with it myself.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Mike D from Ohio

^^ i never get the popping sound unless its rainy and I have the tilt up. I think its just water and the wind from driving.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up Rest Assured

I just a bought a EVO X and got rid of my TSX for just power issues alone. You will never get power out that TSX. However, the Acura has one of the best fit and finish packages there is. Chrysler, ford and GM look like model toys compared to toyota, honda and nissan.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PrecyseStylez
Are you driving in silence?.. Your radio/cd player does work you know..haha. Turn up the volume!