Everything You Wanted to Know About Your Navi (and then some)

Old 07-23-2003, 12:21 AM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Post Everything You Wanted to Know About Your Navi (and then some)

Ok, because I am feeling generous and as a way to give something back to this great community of ours, I present everything you wanted to know about your Navi but were afraid to ask.

From the '04 Shop Guide:

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).

2a. If the battery has never been disconnected from the car: Press and hold these keys all at once: MENU, MAP/GUIDE, and CANCEL. Keep them pressed for approximately 5 seconds. The display will then go to "Select Diagnosis."

2b. If the battery was disconnected and reconnected prior to this test: Hold down MENU and ZOOM OUT buttons. You will see the Navi System Link screen. Push the joystick to go directly to the "Select Diagnosis" screen.

NOTE: This ONLY allows access to the diagnosis screens. All other Navi features will be disabled.

3. After the display changes to the Select Diagnosis Items Menu, touch the item you want to check and the check will start. To return to the previous screen press RETURN.

You can test/diagnose the following:

Navi System (Link)
F-CAN (Link)
B-CAN (Link)
Monitor Check
Unit Check
Car Status
GPS Information
Yaw Rate
Tire Calibrate
Functional Setup
Version

(Source: p. 22-360 '04 Shop Guide)

NAVI SYSTEM LINK

This diagnostic tests the cable connecting the navi components. Ensure the ignition switch is in the ON (II) position. When the diagnostic begins. a "bong" sound is heard. The system is in a "detecting" mode, and is waiting for all items in white to be tested. This includes the steering wheel TALK/BACK switches and microphone. Push the TALK burron on the steering wheel, and in a normal voice, say TESTING. The Talk indicator on the screen should become green and the voice level indicator should move to the 6th bar to pass. Next touch the steering wheel BACK button. This should cause the CANCEL indicator to turn green.

If all communication lins connecting the system components and the steering wheel/microphone checks out OK then the OK indicator will become green.

If there is a problem the faulty component itself will change to red and ths creen will show NG in red.

Any indications on screen will not change until the ignition is recycled (powered off and back on).

Touch Exit Diag to exit.

FCAN/BCAN TESTS

These are used to diagnose Fast Contrller Access and Body Controller Area Network communication systems. The tests are meaningless without a Honda Scan tool.

MONITOR CHECK

RGB Color

This screen verifies that the display unit is receiving the video (RGB and Composite sync) signals properly. The three primary colors should all be shown without distortion. The combination of all three should produce a central white section. If any colors are missing there is a color signal problem. If the picture has lines in it or scrolls horizontally or vertically, troubleshoot for a composite sync problem.

Gray Tone

This screen diagnoses problems with contrast. You shoud be able to see the changes from bar to bar across the scale. It is normal for the 2 bars on either side to appear the same.

White/Black Raster

White Raster - the entire display must be shown in white.

Black Raster - the entire display must be shown in black.

Test Pattern

Factory use only.

Monitor Adjustment

This allows the display to be centered. Use the joystick to move the picture up down or left right. DEFAULT restores the display to factory specs.

Touch Panel Check

The panel touch sensing systemn consists of a touch sensitive resistive membrane covering the display. Contrarly to other systems using infrared beams, the screen has to be physically "touched" to make it work. The display has the capability of an almost infinite number of touch locations. However, to be compatible with earlier systems, the software only senses the locations shown. Every possible touch button position is shown in this test. Touching one of thses positions should cause the color to reverse and sound a beep. If the locations are off slightly (by less than one touch location) use Touch Panel Calibration to realign the zones with the screen image. If an area does not respond or responds at some other location when touched then replace the display unit.

Note: Unlike earlier screens that used infrared sensors, direct sunlight will not affect this test.

TOUCH PANEL CALIBRATION

Touch the four "+" items on the screen. If the screen responds at some other location when touched, adjust the responded point to the touched point using the joystick.

UNIT CHECK

Display
Performs additional checks on the communication bus between the control unit and display. In addition, the internal display electronic components are checked.

NG responses indicate not good. If ROM or RAM report NG the display unit must be replaced.

Version number is not the DVD version - it is the version of the internal software for the display.

Radio

NG responses indicate you will need to check for a loose audio unit connector.

Navi ECU

NG Response for Indicates
-------------------- -----------
V-RAM or D-RAM Navi Unit Needs to be
Replaced
GPS (Ant) Check antenna wire.
If wire OK, New Navi Unit

IMPORTANT: MEM CLR should NOT be pressed. It erases all customer information, personal settings, GPS orbital data and anything else in memory and is for factory use only.

PC Card

No relevant information.

CAR STATUS

This screen is used to confirm the navi is properly receiving input signals. Signals equal to zero are OFF and those equal to ONE are on. If the value does not match the actual vehicle status then check the wire carrying the signal.

This is mostly technical - if you have a need to really know this section let me know.

GPS INFORMATION

This screen shows the current status of GPS reception. The circular diagram shows the current location of the GPS Satellites (yellow numbers) as they would appear in the sky. The outer circle represents the horizon (0 degrees elevation). The middle and inner circles represent 30 and 60 degrees respectively. The very center of the diagram (90 degrees elevation) is directly overhead. Nearby obstructions like tall bhildings will block satellites in that direction. Thus, you must be in an open area to effectively troubleshoot GPS issues.

Number of Satellites shows the number of acquired satellites, It should contain 3 or more icons.

Current Position shows latitude, longitude, and elevation in meters, If there are less than 3 satellites the elevation can be grossly inaccurate.

Date/Time field shows current date and a time that includes daylight savings time and other offsets entered by the customer in Setup Screen 2 - Adjust Time Zone/Clock.

GPS Detail

By pressing and holding MENU for 10 seconds you can see a screem displaying real live incoming satellite positioning data.

YAW Rate

Controls the position of the icon of the car on the map. Nothing exciting here.

If you play with this screen BE SURE TO SET THE VALUES BACK TO THESE DEFAULTS:

AUTO TUNING: ON

Sensitivity Study: Self Calibrates between 6 and 10

CCW Cal/W Cal/Set are FACTORY USE ONLY AND SHOULD NEVER BE USED. Default in the screen shot is +0.0 for both.

Tire Calibration

Controls your speed of scrolling on the map.

Auto Tuning should always be ON
Level - indicates tuning status - if less than 10 unit is still calibrating
Tire-Cal Tuning and Set are for factory use only. The sample screen shot shows -1.0%

FUNCTIONAL SETUP

Trip Information
Shows current internal values used for computer calculations. Factory use only.

Simulation start is for factory use only. Data save should always be ON.

Trip Calibrate

By holding MENU down while on the Trip Information screen you will see the Trip Calibrate screen. This screen allows you to adjust the miles to empty (vehicle range).

Calc Range - Calculated Value

Disp Range - Displayed Distance on the trip computer. If it reads "0" the vehicle will have enough fuel to travel approximately 20 miles.

Range Tuning - Used to adjust the value for the range to empty. Recommended not to change.

NOTE: Setting the range offset too low (+10) could result in the vehicle running out of gas before the display reads 0. Make changes slowly when changing this value.

Solar Angle - Not used for TSX

Most other features in the test screens are for factory use only.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:36 AM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Everything You Wanted to Know About Your Navi (and then some)

Originally posted by stevestr
........Disp Range - Displayed Distance on the trip computer. If it reads "0" the vehicle will have enough fuel to travel approximately 20 miles.....
Are you sure about this, Steve?

My impression, very strongly, is that it's significantly more -- at least 40 miles, probably closer to 60. Anyway it would probably be more apt for us to put it in terms of GALLONS, not miles (I put it in miles only because you did). I'm judging from the amount of gasoline that the tank takes at various times (even topping it off), correlated with the remaining range displayed on the Trip Computer.

(Not that we want people to be counting on it, but just for the record.....)
Old 07-23-2003, 02:12 AM
Looking at the '15 TLX

From the Service Manual, p. 22-371:

Disp. Range is the distance displayed on the trip computer "Range" field. If it reads "0" the vehicle will have enough fuel to travel approximately 20 miles. Range tuning can be adjusted "+" or "-" to adjust the range to empty. It is recommended that this value NOT be changed.
That's what Acura is claiming. YMMV.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:23 AM
Advanced

MORE NAVI OPTIONS

Hey guys check this out too.. Upon getting into the main navi screen (MENU, MAP/GUIDE and CANCEL).. Press MENU for 2-3 seconds and you can access the menu for changing the map and display colors and volumes. I can't remember all the stuff that you can do, but try it out. Last night, I changed the night time color of the map, it used to be black, now it is bluish green. Pretty cool stuff!
Old 07-23-2003, 09:59 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

Is there a way to turn the navigation system off, similiar to how it goes black if you don't touch anything on it for a few minutes? Sometimes I just adjust the AC and then would like to get it back to the off screen, especially at night. I find myself looking at it when I should be focusing on the road.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:37 PM
More On

Originally posted by Ozzman
Is there a way to turn the navigation system off, similiar to how it goes black if you don't touch anything on it for a few minutes?.....
Sure, Ozz -- Hit the "Set-Up" button; then, on the screen, press "Display - Off."
Old 07-23-2003, 11:21 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

I guess I should have been able to figure that out. Once again Larch, you da man.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:35 PM
More On

Originally posted by Ozzman
I guess I should have been able to figure that out.....
Actually I didn't think it was that easy. I found it out only through persistence (which probably doesn't surprise you).
Old 07-27-2003, 03:31 PM
Racer

If I remember correctly, you can also use the voice recognition command "Display Off" to turn off the nav display.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:01 PM
More On

Originally posted by Bear Trap
If I remember correctly, you can also use the voice recognition command "Display Off" to turn off the nav display.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:21 PM
TechLedr

Protective Skin for NAVI screen ?

Is anyone concerned about the NAVI touch screen getting dirty/damaged by repeated finger touch?

What's best to clean it with? 303 ?

Is there a protective skin that can be purchased to protect?

Old 07-13-2004, 01:33 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
asulak01: damp cloth is fine.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Holy resurrected thread Batman. I read through the posts till I got to Larchmont's and I had to do a double take. A noob did a search. Good job noob, rep points for you.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

oh wow larchmount haha
Old 07-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally Posted by asulak01
Is anyone concerned about the NAVI touch screen getting dirty/damaged by repeated finger touch?

What's best to clean it with? 303 ?

Is there a protective skin that can be purchased to protect?

a) Touch carefully with the tips of your fingers and not the nails. Keep the nails short.

b) Don't clean it with 303. I would think that would eat the protective finish off the screen. All you really have to do is go to an office supply store (Office Max, etc.) and purchase a 3M Dusting Cloth. Its a microfibre cloth that cleans the screen really nice. If the screen is really dirty use a bit of water on the cloth, not the screen.

I have been using this method over a year with no problems yet.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:09 PM
Instructor

Great info! Thanks!

I've got a mysterious scratch and would recommend a clear screen protector.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevestr
b) Don't clean it with 303. I would think that would eat the protective finish off the screen. All you really have to do is go to an office supply store (Office Max, etc.) and purchase a 3M Dusting Cloth. Its a microfibre cloth that cleans the screen really nice. If the screen is really dirty use a bit of water on the cloth, not the screen...
I also recommend using 3M Microfiber towels it works really well. I purchased a small eye-glass wipe version from Wal-mart store. Go to eye-glass section and look for small Microfiber wipe, they are about $2 or $3 and about 5" x 4" in size, perfect for glove compartment.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:46 PM
Racer

Why, what happened to larch? I drop in now and then, but I wouldn't call myself a regular.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bear Trap
I don't think "Display Off" is a command, or lady behind my Nav doesn't like my Fabio accent.
Can anyone confirm this? thanks!
Old 07-16-2004, 07:45 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Larch is/was the TSX man (well, PW really) until a few heated arguments made him leave. Other than a few folks on certain days without a doubt he posted more than anyone else. It's unlikely to find many threads before he left without some input from Larch.

And yeah, rep points for the noob for doing a search.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:29 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TSXChef
I don't think "Display Off" is a command, or lady behind my Nav doesn't like my Fabio accent.
Can anyone confirm this? thanks!
For voice recognition, use: "Setup" and then "Display Off".

After your display is off, the voice command "Display On" will turn it back on. I really wish they included a generic "Display Off" command too (without going through setup).

-Chris
Old 07-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Holy resurection - again.

That post from a year ago seems like a lifetime.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Banned

Blasto from the Pasto
Old 07-19-2005, 08:01 AM
2nd Gear

My Nav system has a problem, not sure if it's me or a bug.
Stays on day screen all the time even though I have the display set for automatically switching to night. I can switch to night manually fine.
Anyone else experience this? Ideas on how to fix?
Thanks,
Larry
Old 07-19-2005, 08:56 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by larrym
My Nav system has a problem, not sure if it's me or a bug.
Stays on day screen all the time even though I have the display set for automatically switching to night. I can switch to night manually fine.
Anyone else experience this? Ideas on how to fix?
Thanks,
Larry
Make sure the brightness knob on the dash isn't set to the brightest setting (all the way to the right) when your lights are on...
Old 07-25-2005, 02:05 AM
8th Gear

Also, the solar angle screen does work on the TSX and will show you where the car's computer currently thinks the sun is located (determined by the solar sensor at the top of the dash). There's a lot of good / cool information in a lot of those screens, but do be careful not to change anything without writing down the original value first. I especially like the holding down the MENU button on the trip information screen to see the actually fuel leves being 1) calculated, 2) measured, etc. Damn smart computer . . .
Old 08-05-2005, 04:23 AM
Intermediate

F-CAN (Link)

Regarding this screen in the diagnostics, does anyone else have "Error Active" listed near the upper left corner?
Maybe it's because the engine wasn't running when I was in the diagnostics? I'm just guessing since I don't know what the F-CAN diagnostics are for.

Thanks in advance,
Rich
Old 08-20-2005, 01:58 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Ozzman
Is there a way to turn the navigation system off, similiar to how it goes black if you don't touch anything on it for a few minutes? Sometimes I just adjust the AC and then would like to get it back to the off screen, especially at night. I find myself looking at it when I should be focusing on the road.
You can also do this if you want to focus on the road instead of looking at the screen.
Press the TALK button say - Setup Screen, and press TALK button again Say - Display Off.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Canuck

Originally Posted by jonesy
Also, the solar angle screen does work on the TSX and will show you where the car's computer currently thinks the sun is located (determined by the solar sensor at the top of the dash). There's a lot of good / cool information in a lot of those screens, but do be careful not to change anything without writing down the original value first. I especially like the holding down the MENU button on the trip information screen to see the actually fuel leves being 1) calculated, 2) measured, etc. Damn smart computer . . .
i'm on the trip computer and when i press the menu button it brings me back to the menu. I can;t seem to do this
Old 08-20-2005, 08:52 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by narci
i'm on the trip computer and when i press the menu button it brings me back to the menu. I can;t seem to do this
He means the trip computer within the diagnotic screen, not the regular one
Old 08-21-2005, 01:59 AM
Canuck

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
He means the trip computer within the diagnotic screen, not the regular one
stil no workie..i dun get it.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your map display go back to the default colour when you turn the car off? I can change my display but it keeps going back, i even tried disconnecting the battery.
The following users liked this post:
dee_snutts (07-06-2015)
Old 08-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Keebler
F-CAN (Link)

Regarding this screen in the diagnostics, does anyone else have "Error Active" listed near the upper left corner?
Maybe it's because the engine wasn't running when I was in the diagnostics? I'm just guessing since I don't know what the F-CAN diagnostics are for.

Thanks in advance,
Rich
Can someone please go into the F-CAN screen and see if there's says "Error Active" in the upper left corner? Help me with my paranoia!

Thanks,
Rich
Old 09-05-2005, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

I too tried to change my map display colors, but they keep going back to the original settings. I tried hitting set, I tried changing the values for the original settings, but to no avail. Every time I exit the color screen and then return, the values are all back to default. Can someone please advise?
dee_snutts (07-06-2015)
Old 01-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Overlord

Originally Posted by Sabin9
I too tried to change my map display colors, but they keep going back to the original settings. I tried hitting set, I tried changing the values for the original settings, but to no avail. Every time I exit the color screen and then return, the values are all back to default. Can someone please advise?
I know, I know, the thread that wouldn't die.

But has anyone found a solution to this? Once you turn off the car and/or your nav system reboots, all custom color selections revert to defaults.

For day mode, a very light green color is much more soothing than the standard beige. That beige always makes me feel like I'm driving through a desert. And changing the background to pure #000000 black for night mode is 10x better than the default. If menu preferences and breadcrumbs get written to NVM so that they are power off persistent, why don't these settings? I know the screen says "for developers," but there must be a way somewhere to make these settings persistent.

Any thoughts from anyone? I'd even been willing to hex edit the DVD modules if I knew where the defaults existed on there.
dee_snutts (07-06-2015)
Old 07-16-2006, 12:07 AM
dre596

non navi- to navi oem

can i change from a non navi to oem tl navi
Old 07-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Billy M

Originally Posted by dre596
can i change from a non navi to oem tl navi
holy resurrected thread, batman!

i admire your attempt to not clutter the board with reposts and miscategorized threads, but i think you are way off posting this in here.

you may want to try the TL forum for this https://acurazine.com or if you do have a TSX, you should probably start a new thread or do a search, good luck, and i hope no one gives you hell or flames you for posting this here

Old 02-13-2007, 03:47 PM
TSX Navi AT 2007

Is there a downloadable pdf user's manual of the TSX and it's navi system for free on the web ?
Old 02-16-2007, 09:49 PM
TSX Navi AT 2007

anyone ? sorry I am new to this site
Old 02-18-2007, 10:24 AM
TSX Navi AT 2007

Never mind, I found the PDF (TSX Navi) I wanted on the web
thanks anyways

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Everything You Wanted to Know About Your Navi (and then some)