Dome light constantly stays on when in door position.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 06:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dome light constantly stays on when in door position.

So pretty much what the title says, heres the backstory, maybe it can help diagnose and tell me how to fix it. My headliner was a complete mess, covered in stains and marks. So I decided to remove it and wrap it black. Upon putting the headliner and all the wires back, I noticed my interior lights didnt work. I checked the fuse saw it was blown and replaced it. Now they worked again, except I had my neighbor tell me that the dome light in my car was on. Went to check it out and noticed all my doors were closed and locked. Now it just won't turn off unless I have it in the off position, which is where it is. I haven't had a dome light in months and I miss having it come on when the doors open. Kind of makes me sad now that its gone.

Anyway any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:24 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Circuit diagram suggests the switch is damaged allowing "door" position to ground and turn overhead light on. Switch controls grounding of circuit to enable light.

It could also be a circuit fault in the "door position" circuit (short to ground or faulty door switch). Check "door position" circuit for ground availability w/ door closed. If ground available inspect switches and wiring for short to ground.

good luck
Old 02-03-2015, 09:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Circuit diagram suggests the switch is damaged allowing "door" position to ground and turn overhead light on. Switch controls grounding of circuit to enable light.

It could also be a circuit fault in the "door position" circuit (short to ground or faulty door switch). Check "door position" circuit for ground availability w/ door closed. If ground available inspect switches and wiring for short to ground.

good luck
Are you referring to the actual Dome Light switch? I forgot to mention that I replace that already, found a used one for $10.00 and still didnt fix he problem. So since its not that then I guess its a bad circuit. The switches you are referring to in the second post are those the door jam switches?
Thanks so much for the help.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:37 AM
Drifting

It's likely a faulty door jam switch or switch mounting problem (sometimes come loose).

Most likely is the driver's door which gets exercised most, but all are possible. Close other doors and test each individually for failed-closed condition.

good luck
Old 02-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

It's likely a faulty door jam switch or switch mounting problem (sometimes come loose).

Most likely is the driver's door which gets exercised most, but all are possible. Close other doors and test each individually for failed-closed condition.

good luck
Ok I'll test that out once I get home, but is this problem related at all to me removing the headliner? I'm no expert but I figure if the problem was a door jam switch being the problem wouldn't one of the door open indicators be lit up on my cluster? Or no?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Drifting

If you pinched the wire (grn/red) to ground that routes ground through overhead switch, you could produce constant interior lights and be able to switch lights Off w/ dome light switch.

good luck
Old 02-09-2015, 11:53 AM
ridiculously good looking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you install aftermarket LEDs into your dome lights?
Old 03-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Intermediate

If you pinched the wire (grn/red) to ground that routes ground through overhead switch, you could produce constant interior lights and be able to switch lights Off w/ dome light switch.

good luck
Ok i think the problem is that the circuit is grounded, because I tried the other methods and it didn't solve the problem. If their is a constant ground causing the dome light to stay on forever how do I fix that? And if I pinched the green red wire how do k resolve that too?
Old 03-16-2015, 08:37 AM
Drifting

Constant on means overhead switch or wiring is defective somehow w/ a short to ground. Replace/repair switch.

Pinched wire can be spliced w/ crimp/heat shrink connector.

good luck
Old 03-16-2015, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

Thanks Texas, I ordered another dome light switch. It was only 10 dollars on eBay. Tracking says it'll be here friday, I'll put it in if it doesn't fix the problem then it's a pinched wire for sure.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:07 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Not sure if the TSX is the same, but back when I had my 04 TL in for service years ago, I picked up my TL from the dealer. It was day time and the dome lights in the back of the car were on. I didn't notice until when I parked in the garage at home. The lights wouldn't turn off, I was stumped and I didn't want to drive back to the dealer to have them look at the lights. As it turned out the dome lights in the rear of the TL were also toggle switches. In other words, if you pushed the lights up, they toggled between constant on and off. This could be overridden by the OFF/Door/ON master switch, which I used until I figured out what the issue was.
So it might be worth going out and checking to see if your dome light(s) are toggles and somehow got pushed when you put your headliner back up.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Not sure if the TSX is the same, but back when I had my 04 TL in for service years ago, I picked up my TL from the dealer. It was day time and the dome lights in the back of the car were on. I didn't notice until when I parked in the garage at home. The lights wouldn't turn off, I was stumped and I didn't want to drive back to the dealer to have them look at the lights. As it turned out the dome lights in the rear of the TL were also toggle switches. In other words, if you pushed the lights up, they toggled between constant on and off. This could be overridden by the OFF/Door/ON master switch, which I used until I figured out what the issue was.
So it might be worth going out and checking to see if your dome light(s) are toggles and somehow got pushed when you put your headliner back up.
Thanks but unfortunately they aren't toggles I wish it was that simple.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:17 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Sorry, but thought it was worth a shot.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:32 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates or solutions to the problem? I'm recently experiencing the same problem. I was told to replace the fuse box module by the driver's foot well nut haven't gotten a chance to replace it