DIY - TSX Fob Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:05 AM
The Short-Bus Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Got my Key from Moda_Way

I got my key mod from Moda_Way yesterday. Here is what I did:

1. I bought my Accord key from somebody on e-bay. Including shipping, it cost me about $9. It wasn't new, but I don't mind the scratches.

2. I had a new key cut at Wal-Mart. They have a sensor that detects immobilizer chips and had a sign saying that they would not cut "ANY keys with a chip, no acceptions!" (their spelling, not mine). Somehow, I got lucky and their machine didn't detect my chip, so the associate went ahead and cut a copy of the key for me. I was considering having a few extra keys made, just in case. However, something was wrong with the machine and the employee burned through their entire stock of Acura keys trying to make my cut. He finally got it on the last one. It cost me $2.

3. I sent a small payment, my Accord key and the Acura cut to Moda_Way. He did moda magic on them and sent me a key fob mod in return.

Moda_way is a great guy to work with. He did the work very quickly. The end result is perfect. You'd never know it was a mod by just looking.

He was also kind enough to send instructions on how to program the key. I followed them, and everything works.

I am having a little trouble getting the immobilizer chip programmed. The first dealership was going to charge me for an hour of labor to try and program it. I have an "in" at another dealership, so I'll be giving that a shot later.

I'll post a follow-up after my immobilizer chip is programmed.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Pro

question to P1rata, do you know the key code while having a new key cut at Wal-Mart?
much thanks
Old 09-28-2006, 10:47 AM
'06 TSX 6MT

previous page...

Originally Posted by Lone Starr
If anyone else cares, I just found a local HW store that had the blank (and i tested it)-

Ilco X214
EZ HD103
Old 09-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Lone Starr
previous page...
thanks!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:32 PM
The Short-Bus Pirate

Originally Posted by gogozy
question to P1rata, do you know the key code while having a new key cut at Wal-Mart?
much thanks
I hope I'm able to answer your question...
The machine that cuts the keys has a slot that you can put the original key in and it indicates if there is an immobilizer chip. For some reason, the machine at Wal-Mart did not detect the chip. They don't have the ability to program chips, or read the programming on them. If you are looking for the kind of key they used...I didn't keep the tag that came with it, but it was off of their regular key stock and it was labeled for Acura.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Bringing this back from the depths of the forum...

I have a question and without going through 12 pages of stuff, can anyone (Moda?) answer a few questions?

- What is the best way to do this mod now? I currently have all 3 factory keys, plus an Accord keyfob with half of a key (cut off and meant to be replaced). I was thinking that I'd get a $1 copy of my OEM key at a hardware store (using Ilco X214 / EZ HD103 key blank) and then swap that into the Accord keyfob. Do I still have to cut up one of my OEM keys to get the immobilizer swapped into the Accord keyfob? Or has someone successfully found a way to program the immobilizer without having to pay the dealer?

- Programming the buttons (after the hard work is done) --> Anyone have the instructions for this? I couldn't find it in this thread but admittedly skipped a few pages to 'cut to the chase'.

Thanks.
Eric
Old 08-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Only one way to get the immobilizer to recognize the chip; it has to programmed using an HDS or equivalent. There is no little trick to it.

As for programming the transmitter:

Transmitter Programming

Storing transmitter codes:
The codes of up to three transmitters can be stored into the keyless receiver unit memory. (If a fourth code is stored, the code which was input first will be erased.)

NOTE: It is important to maintain the time limits between the steps. Make sure the doors, the hood and the tailgate are closed.

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
2. Within 1 to 4 sec, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver in the power window master switch. (located by the driver’s window switches)
3. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch OFF.
4. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch ON (II).
5. Within 1 to 4 sec, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver in the power window master switch. (located by the driver’s window switches)
6. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch OFF.
7. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch ON (II).
8. Within 1 to 4 sec, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver in the power window master switch. (located by the driver’s window switches)
9. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch OFF.
10. Within 1 to 4 sec, turn the ignition switch ON (II).
11. Within 1 to 4 sec, press the transmitter lock or unlock button with the transmitter aimed at the keyless receiver in the power window master switch. (located by the driver’s window switches)
12. Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators within 1 to 4 sec, then push transmitter lock or unlock button again, or the code will not be stored.
13. Within 10 sec, aim the transmitters (up to two additional ones) whose codes you want to store in the keyless receiver, and press the transmitter lock or unlock buttons.
Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.
14. Turn the ignition switch off, and remove the key.
15. Confirm proper operation with the transmitters.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
So unless I get someone at Acura to use the HDS ($$), the only other way to complete this mod is to hack an existing key, get the chip, and put it into the Accord keyfob?

Thanks Moda!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
So unless I get someone at Acura to use the HDS ($$), the only other way to complete this mod is to hack an existing key, get the chip, and put it into the Accord keyfob?

Thanks Moda!
pretty much, some locksmiths can program keys too but again thats more $$
Old 08-16-2007, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by moda_way
Just wanted to thank BDI for hosting the pics. BDI is why we get to see everything I did.

Accord Key Part #35118-SDA-A11 (thanks rbf351)
I ordered mine from Majestic Honda - $34

You'll need:
1 USDM 03-05 Accord Key (blank per above)
1 Acura TSX key (make sure it starts your car)
SHARP!!! Knife (Exacto or utility)
2 part Epoxy (I recomment Loctite 5 min drying)
Various sized flat heads
A metal cutting tool
A model car paint brush (Smaller the better)
A small piece of sandpaper
Patience

1. Drill out the screw on the back side of the USDM Accord. I had all the tools for that small of a screw, but now way was it coming out.

2. Pop open the case on the Accord key using the cutout on the side of the Unlock button.

3. Pop out the remote portion.

4. Pop out the plastic cover over the immmobilizer.

5. Use a very small flat head to pry out the immbolizer chip. It is held in with a little bit of sticky.

Here are the bits to the USDM Accord key. From left to right, top to bottom you have the USDM Accord blank, the Remote, the immobilizer's cap, the immobilizer chip underneath, and finally the key's back plate.

7. Cut the remaining bit of the screw off of the key and remove the rubbery material over the key blank

This is me using a cutting wheel on my pneumatic dremel tool to remove the holder screw and remove some material that keeps the USDM Accord blank in place.

8. Slowly pry out the Accord key. You may need to cut it with a knife because the rubbery stuff holds on the bottom too.

9. Begin to whittle away at your Acura key. Use the below pic to show you were the "black box" is located.

This is what the Acura key looks like after you remove the black rubbery material and the "black box" that holds the immobilizer in its place. What looks to be grey around the immobilizer is actually a tranluscent material, like dried rubber cement.

10. Once you get down to the "Black Box", shave all the rest of the material off the sides so that you can pull it off the key.

11. Slowly cut around the "black box" with a knife to pry it open. BE CAREFUL b/c the knife could scratch the chip

I pulled the rest of the key and immobilizer "black box" out, with the immobilizer chip still in place because I wanted to be VERY delicate when removing it.

12. Once the black box cover is off, pull the entire bit off of the key.

13. Use a knife to score around the immobilier chip. Again, be careful b/c you can f it up at this point.

14. Once you have scored around the chip, get a TINY flat head an CAREFULLY pry out the chip.

This is the most blurry pic I think I've ever taken, but what you see here is the immobilizer chip post removal. Not a scratch on the little bugger.

15. Set the Accord key on top of the TSX key and mark where you need to cut. Because I'm using a dremel tool, I just clamped them together and cut the TSX key.

This is the USDM Accord blank and the Acura key below it. One important note here, the USDM Accord key is actually thicker than the TSX key, so you have to be very careful when removing the Accord key to compensate. That is why I have almost no gap in my key's fitment.

16. Sand the very end area of the TSX key so that the epoxy will adhere better.

17. Test fit the TSX key into the body of the Accord fob. You may need to trim out the area a little. Test fit again and again.

18. Put the TSX Immobilizer into the "box" where you took out the Accord immobilizer. Clip the lid back into it.

19. Build up a area under the key so when you set it into the Accord body the key won't lean down (You should be mount the key inside the body where the transmitter buttons are, per the pictures)

20. Mix up your 2 part epoxy. Only need about a quarter size amount.

21. Put a small amount of epoxy on the bed where the key head will rest

22. Put the key in place and stabilize it won't lean down (Per step 19). I used some washers.

23. Make sure the key is in place straight and put epoxy over the head and around it. Try to keep it off the front area, but coat it well.

-Optional.. if you choose to use the A off the fob, use the untility knife to pull it off. Its just a sticker. Same for the Honda one. If you want it flush mounted, have fun, I haven't done it yet to mine. I just used a little bit of almost hardened epoxy to mount mine on the back.

24. Let the Epoxy dry. (Give it a good 15 mins)

25. Snap the transmitter back in place and snap the Accord key lid on.

Back of the finished key with the Acura symbol in place. I really need to recess it because you can just get your fingernail under it. Recessing it though will take quite a bit of time to make it just perfect like OEM. It is the A off the fob from our set. The A off the key is significantly different in size and the other A looks better.

Front of the finished key.

Straight on shot of the key. It looks like I have gaps, but in truth, the flash made the black plastic reflect a lot of light. I have almost NO gap at all.

26. Follow the directions here to program the buttons.

PM me if you would like me to do the labor (for a small price).

*These are just my simple instructions. Follow them if you want, but at your own risk. I'm not liable for you screwing with working keys. I make no garuantees to safety, longevity or interoperability of either keys... I just know I did it myself and it worked for me. You may not have the same results.
Moda,

Are you still doing the key mod? This is the coolest. How do we hook up if you are still making them?

thanx,

antigravitytea
Old 11-27-2007, 11:24 AM
4th Gear

hello!

this is my first post so dont be angry if i write some nonsense, please

moda_way I love your key moods

so I have a question, can I do the mod with a Prelude key and an accord key fob...
I would send you a PM but I can't, sorry.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Suzuka Master

nope. Buddy has a prelude. They use different transmitters and different chips.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:03 PM
4th Gear

nope. Buddy has a prelude. They use different transmitters and different chips.
what kind of transmitter will work on a prelude?

the chip and the blade are not a problem...

i would like tke key to look like this:

are the frequencies in europe different than US?

is it doable?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

The current generation of transmitters don't work on the Preludes. If you want to try it, feel free. Just follow the programming instructions above and if it works, then you are 33% of the way there to making it work.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:11 PM
4th Gear

The current generation of transmitters don't work on the Preludes. If you want to try it, feel free. Just follow the programming instructions above and if it works, then you are 33% of the way there to making it work.
why 33%, you mean the blade and chip?

do yo know wich transmiter will work?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mat_25
why 33%, you mean the blade and chip?

do yo know wich transmiter will work?
Yes, that's why 33% and there isn't a transmitter that fits in that key body that will work.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:55 AM
4th Gear

Yes, that's why 33% and there isn't a transmitter that fits in that key body that will work.
thanx Moda_way, you helped me a lot!!

but I will keep triying

and if I find a solution, I will post it here...
Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 PM
10th Gear

Getting a key from ebay... doing this mod from scratch with master key... JB weld or loctite 5min? or something else. Oh, and any new tips on modding this or should the original steps still be fine? Thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by krasyazian
Getting a key from ebay... doing this mod from scratch with master key... JB weld or loctite 5min? or something else. Oh, and any new tips on modding this or should the original steps still be fine? Thanks
Use jbweld and the original instructions are still good.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

FYI, I have made a few more for forum members, so if anyone would like my help, PM me.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:16 PM
2nd Gear

Great DIY ... .im working on my wifes TSX right now.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:19 AM
1st Gear

Hey moda_way. I tried to pm you but I wasn't able to send it somehow. Please email me with your email address so I can tell you what I need for the key FOB. stephon314@hotmail.com. Thanks!!!