DIY - TSX Fob Mod

Old 07-12-2006, 10:05 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just received my key from moda_way.. it looks great..
Great communication from start to finish, he informed me every progress he made with the key mod.. he even took several finished-key mod photos before he sent back the key to me..
The transmitter programming is also very easy, just took me one try..
he also able to fit the big "A" onto the accord key..
Looks better with an "A"..
thx moda..

(click on the image)
here is what he sent me back, the new key, transmitter programming instruction sheet, a blue tissue paper (wrapped the new key to protect it from scratch or forces during the shipment), the old key fob and the rest of the old key pieces..

the key details

the big "A" from old key fob..
Old 07-22-2006, 04:51 AM
Animal Whisperer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my key back a couple of days ago, and it is very cool to have an all in one key now for my 06 TL!!! My buddy who got his Honda on the same day as me would always give me crap about how his car was more advanced... NOW I have at least one more feature that is equal to his car, but more importantly, I have an all in one key/fob! The work done is quality, guys. I got lucky and got off the hook on price by finding an already cut Honda key on eBay, as a money saving tip.

Rey :)
Old 07-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Instructor

Question...how are we supposed to go about changing the battery once the time comes?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KBraggs
Question...how are we supposed to go about changing the battery once the time comes?

Remove the screw, remove the transmitter, open the transmitter box, change battery and put it back together. I do this mod so that everything is accessible.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Ok coo.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by moda_way
Remove the screw, remove the transmitter, open the transmitter box, change battery and put it back together. I do this mod so that everything is accessible.
i read something earlier in this thread about the key being glued to the key fob. So is it that only one side of the key is glued to the key fob?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stingrey
My buddy who got his Honda on the same day as me would always give me crap about how his car was more advanced...

just say the words "ACURA" and that should set him straight...
Old 07-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jerzpwr
i read something earlier in this thread about the key being glued to the key fob. So is it that only one side of the key is glued to the key fob?
Well, it is a little different than just saying the key is glued. The USDM Accord key sits in what I call a key bed. It is a solid piece of plastic. When you remove it, it leaves a pocket for which the modded Acura key goes. Then a 2 part epoxy is put in that pocket and on top to hold the key in place.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Undercover Slacker

got my key back today! i must say, one of the things i didnt like about the tsx is no longer, all in one key and key fob, woo hoo!

sent out my key last saturday, got it back today (thursday). less than a week, return time is great.

moda_way does a great job of communicating to you what's going on with your key. pricing is reasonable. programming the key takes less than a min.

thanks ryan.

ps. if you see a tsx driver with a accord key, they're 98.734% an acurazine member.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Instructor

Can anyone tell me what the part number is on the transponder chip? Basically what I want to know is if it's possible to clone one of the master keys, or if a new key must be added using SDD/HDS. If the transponder is a rolling code type, I would think that a cloned key would not work - whichever key is not being used would no longer have the correct rolled code, right?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:00 AM
Instructor

I don't think the chip uses a rolling code, and to get a new master key coded at the dealership will run you about $60. I just went to lowes, got a copy of my master key made for $1, and used the copy for the mod.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:28 PM
'06 TSX 6MT

for someone who got a regular blank cut at a hardware store rather than cut up a master key- do you know what the blank code is? I went to Home Depot and they only had transponder keys for $60 not the standard $2 blanks listed for my key, and the worker was too lazy to try and match it.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KBraggs
I don't think the chip uses a rolling code, and to get a new master key coded at the dealership will run you about $60. I just went to lowes, got a copy of my master key made for $1, and used the copy for the mod.
I also originally thought that the TSX didn't use a rolling code, but after digging into it a bit deeper I'm not so sure anymore.

On older models Honda used a Megamos transponder, which is not rolling code and thus can be cloned. Philips does make a chip which emulates Megamos.

However, if you look at the Ilco site, it states that for the TSX (and 03+ Accord), a rolling code is used and only the SDD tool can be used to add a new master key.
Ilco Reference Guide

And Acura offically states that the TSX immobilizer uses rolling code technology. I checked the press release from 2004 and it was also mentioned there.

From what I understand, the keyfobs do not use rolling code, but from what I've found it looks like the immobilizer does. I've also tried to verify with some locksmiths, but got mixed responses.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:41 PM
re-searching

Originally Posted by dowzer
Can anyone tell me what the part number is on the transponder chip? Basically what I want to know is if it's possible to clone one of the master keys, or if a new key must be added using SDD/HDS. If the transponder is a rolling code type, I would think that a cloned key would not work - whichever key is not being used would no longer have the correct rolled code, right?
AFAIK you must have the key added. I did this mod by taking my Honda key in to the dealer (with its original transponder intact) and having it and all my existing regular keys (re)programmed.

I seem to recall reading something, somewhere some months ago that lead me to believe that they (Honda) actually changed something with the transponder between the 2004 and 2005 model years. Maybe you could clone with a 2004, but I'm pretty sure it was not possible with the 2005 year.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by emcee2
AFAIK you must have the key added. I did this mod by taking my Honda key in to the dealer (with its original transponder intact) and having it and all my existing regular keys (re)programmed.

I seem to recall reading something, somewhere some months ago that lead me to believe that they (Honda) actually changed something with the transponder between the 2004 and 2005 model years. Maybe you could clone with a 2004, but I'm pretty sure it was not possible with the 2005 year.
modaway was mentioning that early TSX keys used a tube-shaped transponder. I'm pretty sure these are a non-rolling code type, so there could have been a change made. However, I have a 2004 so I need to somehow find out which one mine has. This could also explain why I was getting different stories from different locksmiths.

I have a blank Ilco replacement key (HD106-PT5), and ordered a used Accord keyfob from eBay, so I could either get the Ilco transponder cloned or have the Accord transponder added to the car. I just have to find out which one will work.

Speaking of adding keys, I know the car will only recognize 3 transmitters, but is there a limit on how many master keys it will recognize?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Suzuka Master

modaway was mentioning that early TSX keys used a tube-shaped transponder. I'm pretty sure these are a non-rolling code type, so there could have been a change made. However, I have a 2004 so I need to somehow find out which one mine has. This could also explain why I was getting different stories from different locksmiths.

I have a blank Ilco replacement key (HD106-PT5), and ordered a used Accord keyfob from eBay, so I could either get the Ilco transponder cloned or have the Accord transponder added to the car. I just have to find out which one will work.

Speaking of adding keys, I know the car will only recognize 3 transmitters, but is there a limit on how many master keys it will recognize?
Hondas and the RSX used a different type of immobilizer chip originally. Now they are the same.

I think that you can put 10 or more immobilizer chips into the HDS program for the car to recognize. I haven't yet gotten a straight answer.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...key&topic_set=

"uh yah mr insurance claims guy.. I can account for all 3 of my original keys. well, kinda..."

Maybe we should disconnect the switch on our parking brakes to disable the backdoor

It would be nice to find out for sure if the 04 TSXes made in early 2004 have rolling code or fixed code transponders...
Old 08-02-2006, 12:24 AM
re-searching

<snip>
I've got a PDF file on my machine ("HONDA/ACURA IMMOBILISER SYSTEM"; APM119; Version 1.1 05/04 from "Advanced Diagnostics"). Dunno where I found this on the net... regardless, it says of the type 4 immobiliser...

" ... When a programmed key is inserted into the ignition switch the transponder is energised by electromagnetic induction and transmits its ID code to the control unit-receiver, where it is checked against codes stored within its memory (maximum of 5)."

As a related but ultimately minor aside:
If anyone is interested in info on the actual immobiliser chips etc. then take a look HERE (Philips) to start. I don't recall and don't seem to have recorded which part number is actually used in the key (maybe Moda_way mentioned it in pages past?).
There is also a chart of the various products listed THERE as well. At the bottom of the chart is a link to the datasheets etc. though you have to apply to get a password to access many of them...
Old 08-02-2006, 05:13 AM
Suzuka Master

The chip actually has the Phillips logo on it, so yes, Phillips does make the chip. Another company makes the transmitter and the key itself, but unfortunately I don't recall the maker offhand. I went to that company's website and our transmitters were right there in a picture.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:14 PM
'06 TSX 6MT

Originally Posted by Lone Starr
for someone who got a regular blank cut at a hardware store rather than cut up a master key- do you know what the blank code is? I went to Home Depot and they only had transponder keys for $60 not the standard $2 blanks listed for my key, and the worker was too lazy to try and match it.
If anyone else cares, I just found a local HW store that had the blank (and i tested it)-

Ilco X214
EZ HD103
Old 08-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by emcee2
I've got a PDF file on my machine ("HONDA/ACURA IMMOBILISER SYSTEM"; APM119; Version 1.1 05/04 from "Advanced Diagnostics"). Dunno where I found this on the net... regardless, it says of the type 4 immobiliser...

" ... When a programmed key is inserted into the ignition switch the transponder is energised by electromagnetic induction and transmits its ID code to the control unit-receiver, where it is checked against codes stored within its memory (maximum of 5)."

As a related but ultimately minor aside:
If anyone is interested in info on the actual immobiliser chips etc. then take a look HERE (Philips) to start. I don't recall and don't seem to have recorded which part number is actually used in the key (maybe Moda_way mentioned it in pages past?).
There is also a chart of the various products listed THERE as well. At the bottom of the chart is a link to the datasheets etc. though you have to apply to get a password to access many of them...
Yes, this is how we can find out for sure if someone could get use the part number on the transponder chip. Once we know the part number, a quick check into the datasheet will tell us whether or not it's fixed or rolling code.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:33 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Just got back from a very long weekend using the “new” keyfob; it looks great, better than the factory remote. Excellent craftsmanship . Don’t know how I survived a year without it . I use a separate key chain for the house keys, so is very nice to have just the one-piece keyfob in my pocket. Took less than a minute to program, from reading the instructions to programming. Don’t know why Honda/Acura uses it on the Accord and not on the TSX. Oh well, Acura’s loss is moda’s gain.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Instructor

I finally got reliable info on the TSX's immobilizer. I asked one of the service reps at the dealership, but he had no clue (not too surprising).

The 2004 TL and TSX have the Type 4 immobilizer, which is a rolling code system. The 2003+ Accords appear to also use the same system. As such, you cannot use the Ilco T5 key blanks, since they have fixed code transponders.

You can easily verify whether a key is fixed or rolling code by looking at the shank. Those with rolling codes will have a "V" stamped on it. I had a look at a newer Civic key, and it has an "F" stamped on it. So I'm guessing that V stands for variable code and F stands for fixed code.

As we know the system can recognize up to 3 remotes. As for keys, the immobilizer can accept up to 6 keys. The HDS only needs one programmed key (master or valet) to add a new key to the system.

TSB 03-012 has more information on the immobilizer system.

So I've taken my Ilco HD106-PT5 blank and extracted the key shank for the mod (I had it cut but not programmed). I'll fit that into the Accord keyfob, and re-use the Accord immobilizer.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:04 AM
Suzuka Master

I finally got reliable info on the TSX's immobilizer. I asked one of the service reps at the dealership, but he had no clue (not too surprising).

The 2004 TL and TSX have the Type 4 immobilizer, which is a rolling code system. The 2003+ Accords appear to also use the same system. As such, you cannot use the Ilco T5 key blanks, since they have fixed code transponders.

You can easily verify whether a key is fixed or rolling code by looking at the shank. Those with rolling codes will have a "V" stamped on it. I had a look at a newer Civic key, and it has an "F" stamped on it. So I'm guessing that V stands for variable code and F stands for fixed code.

As we know the system can recognize up to 3 remotes. As for keys, the immobilizer can accept up to 6 keys. The HDS only needs one programmed key (master or valet) to add a new key to the system.

So I've taken my Ilco HD106-PT5 blank and extracted the key shank for the mod (I had it cut but not programmed). I'll fit that into the Accord keyfob, and re-use the Accord immobilizer.
I never knew about the V and the F... thanks!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 06:25 PM
'06 TSX 6MT

I just tried to have a key programmed at a dealer using an imobilizer from an accord "V" key and it didn't work. has anyone re-used an accord chip successfully yet?
Old 09-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

I just tried to have a key programmed at a dealer using an imobilizer from an accord "V" key and it didn't work. has anyone re-used an accord chip successfully yet?

I know I've made at least 3 that way. Don't recall who though.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:59 PM
'06 TSX 6MT

interesting... the accord key i have was advertised as an 03-05 accord key, and i have an '06 so 3 things are possible:
1. the chips were not compatible
2. i damaged the chip either physically or by some strange reaction with th epoxy putty i used
3. the dealer didn't even try to program the key.

my guess it's 1 or 3
Old 09-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Suzuka Master

interesting... the accord key i have was advertised as an 03-05 accord key, and i have an '06 so 3 things are possible:
1. the chips were not compatible
2. i damaged the chip either physically or by some strange reaction with th epoxy putty i used
3. the dealer didn't even try to program the key.

my guess it's 1 or 3
Well, the chips are of the same time between 04, 05, and 06, and they are of the same immobilizer system type, so I'm putting my money on 3.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,490 Posts
have you tried programming it yourself.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:19 PM
'06 TSX 6MT

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
have you tried programming it yourself.
I don't have an HDS.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:06 PM
re-searching

It worked for me... there was some problem the first time I went but that was something to do with some code for the actual reprogramming machine itself... the next time I went in all was good.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:08 PM

I don't have an HDS.
your just trying ot program the remote functions not the chip correct.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

your just trying ot program the remote functions not the chip correct.
No, he is trying to get the immobilizer chip to be recognized by the car's ECU. He didn't use the OEM key.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:09 PM

No, he is trying to get the immobilizer chip to be recognized by the car's ECU. He didn't use the OEM key.
ohh ok have fun with that might have to try a different dealer.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

ohh ok have fun with that might have to try a different dealer.

I've mentioned this issue to a few ppl. That's why if someone has me do it, I always tell them to check first.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:57 PM
'06 TSX 6MT

I've mentioned this issue to a few ppl. That's why if someone has me do it, I always tell them to check first.
check what first? have people had better luck going to honda or acura dealers?
Old 09-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

check what first? have people had better luck going to honda or acura dealers?

Check the dealer first. Most Honda dealerships would probably be leary because its an Acura, but they can do it just as easily.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:44 PM
I can't find my garage

Originally Posted by ryobi1
Finished mine today. I made a label to go in the spot where the Honda logo was. What do you guys think?

sooo niiicceeee!!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:49 PM
I can't find my garage

i was wondering if there was a way to just stick the tsx key into our remotes..lol no?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mltk53
i was wondering if there was a way to just stick the tsx key into our remotes..lol no?
open your remote up and see for yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - TSX Fob Mod