DIY - TSX Fob Mod

Old 06-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Guess what happend to my key today...

So I take my TSX to the dealer for service. I dropped it off yesterday evening after work. Today after work I go to pick it up. The car looks good, the service advisor is friendly. "Yes Mr. jlukja, your car is A OK. You keep it in good shape" I wait as my car gets brought to me. I get in, turn the key. It feels a little "spongy" but I think nothing of it. I get home, turn off the ignition, pull out the key, and notice this:

OH, Nooooooooooo

I call the service advisor and tell him "Your guys broke my key!". He's speachless. I drive back to the dealership and we both go to talk to the Service Manager. The service manager keeps looking at the key, turning it over in his hands and saying, "I've never seen anything like this" (meaning a Honda key for a TSX). I explain to him about the mod, and he just shakes his head.

The good thing is that they said they would "make things right". I'm to get it fixed and present them with the bill. Moda_Way, where are you??
Old 06-07-2006, 12:58 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by jlukja
So I take my TSX to the dealer for service. I dropped it off yesterday evening after work. Today after work I go to pick it up. The car looks good, the service advisor is friendly. "Yes Mr. jlukja, your car is A OK. You keep it in good shape" I wait as my car gets brought to me. I get in, turn the key. It feels a little "spongy" but I think nothing of it. I get home, turn off the ignition, pull out the key, and notice this:

OH, Nooooooooooo

I call the service advisor and tell him "Your guys broke my key!". He's speachless. I drive back to the dealership and we both go to talk to the Service Manager. The service manager keeps looking at the key, turning it over in his hands and saying, "I've never seen anything like this" (meaning a Honda key for a TSX). I explain to him about the mod, and he just shakes his head.

The good thing is that they said they would "make things right". I'm to get it fixed and present them with the bill. Moda_Way, where are you??
Sorry that happened to your key
Old 06-07-2006, 01:03 AM
no0bIe

OH, Nooooooooooo

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I am currently awaiting for my key from Moda_Way. This is one of the reasons why I give the "stealership" my valet key. To often I see Service Tech's, porters, and mechanics abuse customer keys by just throwing them around aimlessly .
Old 06-07-2006, 05:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a PM. THAT SUX, but I've heard of valets being rough with them too.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kboosman00
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I am currently awaiting for my key from Moda_Way. This is one of the reasons why I give the "stealership" my valet key. To often I see Service Tech's, porters, and mechanics abuse customer keys by just throwing them around aimlessly .
I've even heard of one trying to reverse engineer it and messing the key up. Because of this, I've made another update to the key making method that should give slightly more strength to the modded key. My own key is still perfect after nearly a year and uses my original method.

Obviously these keys aren't going to be as strong as OEM, but I also use 1600lb epoxy.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:02 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

So Jan, they giving you another Accord key or a new Acura key?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

jkluka's key just needs to be re-expoyed, no harm done. i'm surprised the dealership was so understanding, I would think they would write it off as an after-market mod and say it was your fault
Old 06-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

Update

Having consulted with moda_way by PM and taking the key apart to get a better look it does appear that they key just needs to be glued back in using epoxy. That's a relief because I didn't want to go out and buy another Accord key. I was most worried that somehow the little screw would be broken off in the metal key part and that I would not have been able to remove it. Someone at the dealership must have really pressed down hard on the key at an angle to do that. The epoxy moda_way uses is 1600lb. and the key was straight and very solid before the dealership got a hold of it.

I admit that I derived some pleasure from seeing the look on the service advisor's face when I handed him the key when I dropped off my TSX. In hindsight, however, I should have just used the valet or the spare key and eliminated the possibility of them screwing it up. Lesson learned. I'll continue to enjoy the modded key but from now on, if the car is being driven by someone other than me or my wife, they get the valet or OEM spare key.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I don't use my modded key to put down the back seats since it feels like it takes enough force to turn the lock that the key might break the epoxy.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by xizor
I don't use my modded key to put down the back seats since it feels like it takes enough force to turn the lock that the key might break the epoxy.
I would agree as well. The epoxy, though strong itself, is reliant upon its adhesion to the surrounding plastic. When I make the key, I do as much as I can to optimize the adhesion. However, there are many scenarios where the key can be made loose, but the simple motion of starting the car and unlocking a door don't require enough force to break the key away.

Also, the screw only servers an aesthetic purpose. The head is barely strong enough to withstand the force of unscrewing it out of the OEM setup (has blue loctite on it). So I create a hole just big enough for it to barely grab ahold of the key without stripping the head or the threads the screw.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:29 PM

hey moda, it obviously shows you do great work! Had one question about the mod for '06 models - how does it effect the MID as stated earlier?? Was kinda confused on that, thanks!
Old 06-08-2006, 01:35 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Having consulted with moda_way by PM and taking the key apart to get a better look it does appear that they key just needs to be glued back in using epoxy. That's a relief because I didn't want to go out and buy another Accord key. I was most worried that somehow the little screw would be broken off in the metal key part and that I would not have been able to remove it. Someone at the dealership must have really pressed down hard on the key at an angle to do that. The epoxy moda_way uses is 1600lb. and the key was straight and very solid before the dealership got a hold of it.

I admit that I derived some pleasure from seeing the look on the service advisor's face when I handed him the key when I dropped off my TSX. In hindsight, however, I should have just used the valet or the spare key and eliminated the possibility of them screwing it up. Lesson learned. I'll continue to enjoy the modded key but from now on, if the car is being driven by someone other than me or my wife, they get the valet or OEM spare key.

I bet you were regretting selling me your spare Accord key.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dom
I bet you were regretting selling me your spare Accord key.
Luckily this one can be repaired.

BTW, have you gotten yours modified yet?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:13 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Luckily this one can be repaired.

BTW, have you gotten yours modified yet?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=148
Old 06-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Team Owner

I just mailed my broken key to moda_way for repair.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:14 PM
no0bIe

Ryan,

I received my key this afternoon. Thanks again!!! It looks awesome.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

is it possible to get a blank accord key (and by blank, i mean that the actual key part hasn't been machined out, so that the metal looks like a popscicle stick) and just have it duplicated to be the tsx key? this would involve no cutting and no spare tsx key.

could i just go to a honda dealership and buy a key like that?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
is it possible to get a blank accord key (and by blank, i mean that the actual key part hasn't been machined out, so that the metal looks like a popscicle stick) and just have it duplicated to be the tsx key? this would involve no cutting and no spare tsx key.

i guess you can't edit a quick reply, so i guess i'll have to just reply to it

so, i see that of course you can get an accord key that is plain (like a popscicle stick). so why not take it to a home depot or somewhere that can just copy your tsx key onto the honda fob? and then after that, would i have to take it to a dealership to get it programmed to my car, or could i do that myself?

sorry for sounding so much like a noob... but well... i am.

i've had my cgp for exactly 2 weeks today, and i'm starting to look for mods to do.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Team Owner

so, i see that of course you can get an accord key that is plain (like a popscicle stick). so why not take it to a home depot or somewhere that can just copy your tsx key onto the honda fob? and then after that, would i have to take it to a dealership to get it programmed to my car, or could i do that myself?

i've had my cgp for exactly 2 weeks today, and i'm starting to look for mods to do.
The reason is the "immobilizer chip" that is built into the TSX key. This key mod transfers the immobilizer chip from the original TSX key to the Honda key. The remote buttons for locking and unlocking doors, trunk, and panic can be easily programmed, you don't need a dealer for that. But, the immobilizer chip is unique to each TSX's ECU and only that specific immobilizer chip will start the car by unlocking the electronics.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What jlukja said. Also the Accord blank (laser cut) is different than the TSX blank (normal cut). You could go to Home Depot and get a blank cut for the TSX and transplant that into the Accord keyfob. Then go to the dealer and program the immobilizer. However, the earier approach would be just use one of the TSX spare key and transplant that into the Accord keyfob.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:30 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JTso
You could go to Home Depot and get a blank cut for the TSX and transplant that into the Accord keyfob. Then go to the dealer and program the immobilizer.
this is what i did, except it was Lowes
Old 06-11-2006, 11:00 AM
re-searching

You can do this but you have to...
1) have the orignal honda blank machined down in thickness (about 0.020" in total)
2) have the dadoes/slots/grooves that the run the length of a typical TSX key machined in
3) have the key cut in a "normal" manner to put the saw tooth edges on it
4) take it and all your other keys to the dealership for programming

If you have access to a mill and/or machinist for steps 1 & 2 then the rest is straightforward...
Old 06-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

virus7, JTso and emcee have describe the difficulties in getting the USDM Accord key to match. Is it possible? Sure.

One addition comment, the Acura key is ever so slightly wider, but I'm pretty sure it isn't enough to make a difference.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:32 AM
Intermediate

I just wanted to post a quick message to say that this key mod is AWESOME! Thanks a hundred times over to Moda_way! I have had my key for a couple of weeks now and meant to post sooner. I have been so busy with work lately, but can't tell you all enough what great work Ryan does! The key looks fantastic! My advice to anyone who sends their key to Moda......Pay the extra money and have the "A" from your original fob transplanted to the back of the new key! It looks soooo sharp. People can't say enough good things about it....definitely money well spent! You rock Ryan. Service and speed are top notch!
Old 06-13-2006, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by agenteye
I just wanted to post a quick message to say that this key mod is AWESOME! Thanks a hundred times over to Moda_way! I have had my key for a couple of weeks now and meant to post sooner. I have been so busy with work lately, but can't tell you all enough what great work Ryan does! The key looks fantastic! My advice to anyone who sends their key to Moda......Pay the extra money and have the "A" from your original fob transplanted to the back of the new key! It looks soooo sharp. People can't say enough good things about it....definitely money well spent! You rock Ryan. Service and speed are top notch!
Nice to here agent - do you have any pics of the 'A' from the original fob onto the new fob??
Old 06-13-2006, 08:15 AM

Sorry - also is it the 'A' from the original key or remote?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Advanced

dunno if anyone else suggested this
but will this work?

Old 06-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by euro argh
dunno if anyone else suggested this
but will this work?

If you really wanted to use the pull-out key everytime, then yes. Otherwise, no. It would get too complicated (moda_way and I have had a couple of discussions about it) and way too costly.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sonnyg80
Nice to here agent - do you have any pics of the 'A' from the original fob onto the new fob??
I haven't taken pictures yet, but would be happy to do so. I have the day off tomorrow and would be happy to get those up. Also, as far as your question about the A is concerned, the 'A' is directly from one of the 2 key fobs that come with the car originally.....I just send them to Moda_way and he took care of the rest.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Are the keyfobs manufacturer specific? I think the mod is great but if I had a key mod i'd want the flip key mechanism like the audi and volkswagen. Is that even possible?
Old 06-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by rza49311
Are the keyfobs manufacturer specific? I think the mod is great but if I had a key mod i'd want the flip key mechanism like the audi and volkswagen. Is that even possible?
its more than just the fob, the shape of the TSX key itself doesn't lend itself to a flip design
Old 06-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

Alrighty Sonny....as requested, here is a shot of my new key with the 'A' logo transplanted into the back of the new fob! Unfortunately, I couldn't get a great picture of it...but the one I took turned out decent! It doesn't do the "in-person" look any justice! Looks sooooo sweet! Also, I don't know how to post individual picures, so here is a link to a picture page of mine. If you want to skip straight to the key picture....go to page 6.....it is the last shot! Hope this helps...if you have any questions feel free to ask!!

06 Acura Pics

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-15-2006, 01:02 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Also, I don't know how to post individual picures
you do it like this:

(right click the image from the webpage it's on and "copy image location", then click the insert image button in the post window and paste the URL in)

good job on the logo
Old 06-15-2006, 01:07 PM

Hey thanks a lot man! The key looks sweeet Can't wait to get mine!

Here's how to post pics - https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15224

you can probably skip the first step n do 2 & 3...

-Sonny
Old 06-15-2006, 01:07 PM

haha as i was typing - thanks jpt
Old 06-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Intermediate

Hey thanks for posting the picture guys....appreciate it! Yeah, definitely happy with the end results. Moda_way did an awesome job....well worth the money! Hope everyone has a great weekend!~

Cheers!

Mike
Old 06-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Intermediate

Yeah....can't seem to post a picture! Probably because I didn't save the picture in Jpeg format?? Doesn't work as an html link!
Old 06-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

AHHHAAAAA, I think I got it!! Thanks guys!!
Old 06-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Ryan, I have a problem! The screw in my fib fell out and got lost, so the fob is not holding together. Any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2006, 03:34 PM

AHHHAAAAA, I think I got it!! Thanks guys!!

good job man! now you can become a picture posting whore lol thanks again for the pics!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - TSX Fob Mod