Did anyone consider V6 PASSAT before TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone consider V6 PASSAT before TSX?

did anyone consider buying a 2004 V-6 PASSAT before TSX?
i may get a deal and v6 passat under 23,000 dollars. is TSX still better at arouns 25,000?
Old 06-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

nope.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:16 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11324
Old 06-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by pantji
i may get a deal and v6 passat under 23,000 dollars. is TSX still better at arouns 25,000?
I considered getting a Passat but ultimately went with the TSX because i liked its looks. Plus, there are at least 5 Passats around my condo area, but i have the only TSX!
Old 06-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes I considered it. My only gripes with Passat: 1) no 6 disc in dash changer. What is this trunk shit? Why is VW unable to accomplish what virtually every other car manufacturer in the world can? I've read that even the Phaeton has the changer mounted in the glove box? This just blows my mind. 2) VW reliability, or, I guess, lack thereof. Certainly there are those who say I drove my 19xx or 200x VW x miles and never had a single problem, but I've heard enough of problems that it scared me away. Is this a GLS or GLX? I'd say that $23K would probably make me forgive the dumbfounding inability of VW to put a changer in the dash, but I'd still probably drop the extra $2K on the TSX just for the peace of mind it'd give me in terms of reliability. Unless you plan to get rid of the car before the warranty expires. I really like the Passat, if only I had some confidence in VW reliability.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:33 PM
Banned

looks so BORING !
Old 06-26-2004, 10:12 PM
I'm allergic to bull

and subject to major restyling soon
Old 06-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Originally Posted by pantji
I considered a V6 GLX 4-Motion (also was offered a hell of a good deal). VW makes nice cars no doubt, but they ask for too much money for what they offer. The TSX offered the best combination of sport, elegance and value.

If you are purchasing the vehicle I would highly recommend going with the TSX as it will offer you years of trouble-free service (and fun!!) with excellent resale value to boot.

Good luck.

(PS: The Passat is being discounted now because a brand new one is on its way)
Old 06-27-2004, 02:07 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
The current Pasat will look outdated when the new one comes out.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:52 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
No. I did consider BMW, Infiniti, Honda, Mazda and Volvo. I don't think I'd trust VW. Everyone I know that has one has had tons of issues.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:41 AM
ric
Safety Car

Volkswagen vs Acura

I would suggest that you take a very careful look at Volkswagen's reliability in relation to electrical problems, which are notorious, frankly. I am turning in my 2001 Jetta several months before the end of the lease because of problems with the electrical coil, among many. (I cannot tell you how exciting it is to get a car towed from the parking garage in my highrise apartment building) One of my partners has experienced identical problems with the Passat, so it is not unique to the model line - coil problems leading to random stall-outs, idiot lights that don't work, starter motors that need replacement after 25,000 miles - and, for me, more. While both the Passat and the Jetta are well-designed, they appear to be not well-made.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:19 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

As others have said, reliabilty is a big concern. They are going to be redesigned very soon, so the car will look dated prematurely. Also something no one else mentioned is that the Passat will be MUCH more expensive to maintain then the TSX- oil changes on VW's has become upsurd! The filters are expensive as hell and on the passat there is this skid plate that has to come down everytime you do the oil change. Its not the end of the world, however there are several different types of fasteners used and over time they all start to fall out(no matter how careful you are) and then off with the skid plate.

Just to give you and idea an oil change on the TSX can be had for under $25 in these parts, an oil change on my GTi is $79.95 at the dealership. All maintnance items are like that for passat's, expensive cars to own.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by Tireguy
As others have said, reliabilty is a big concern. They are going to be redesigned very soon, so the car will look dated prematurely. Also something no one else mentioned is that the Passat will be MUCH more expensive to maintain then the TSX- oil changes on VW's has become upsurd! The filters are expensive as hell and on the passat there is this skid plate that has to come down everytime you do the oil change. Its not the end of the world, however there are several different types of fasteners used and over time they all start to fall out(no matter how careful you are) and then off with the skid plate.

Just to give you and idea an oil change on the TSX can be had for under $25 in these parts, an oil change on my GTi is $79.95 at the dealership. All maintnance items are like that for passat's, expensive cars to own.
That's sounds like an expensive car to maintain. I think an oil change for the TSX here is around $30, tax included. How much would you estimate you pay in yearly maintenance costs on the Passat?
Old 06-27-2004, 11:47 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

I believe that's the price for an oil change with synthetic oil. Get a quote from your Acura dealer for a TSX oil change w/synthetic and see where it comes in.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by rb1
I believe that's the price for an oil change with synthetic oil. Get a quote from your Acura dealer for a TSX oil change w/synthetic and see where it comes in.
Dude, did you know that your post count is at 666? Better post another one quick.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:47 PM
The Voice of Reason

Yes. Consumer Reports loved the Passat. I drove it. MY impression - the quality is there but it only goes about one atom below the finely crafted surfaces. Recent VWs have a reputation as oil-pumpers, I know a guy who had his Jetta's window fall into the door while I was there and about a week later I noticed a tarp covering the passenger window of a neighbor's Golf. I have a cousin who's a VW diesel nut and he generally gets at least 2xx,xxx out of one before the rust worm takes over. He's also an engineer with a big garage and a great set of tools, and he actually enjoys working on his cars. Like CR, I think the Passat is a great car from a dynamic standpoint but the reliability and durability are scary.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

i was driving a 2000 GLS passat before i traded it in for my tsx. the passat had multiple electrical problems ranging from burnt out head lights to burnt out bulbs in the dash board. i also had problems with the temperature gauge and had to have the ignition coils replaced. it came to a point where after two years of owning the car, it wouldn't turn over. a few months later VW recalled the passat to fix the ignition. as far as ride quality, the passat is very comfortable and soft. since i'm in my mid 20's, i'm not looking for a family car. i wanted something more sporty and responsive. i think you'll notice all of these small little "glitches" in many of the german manufactured cars, esp. audi's from what i've heard.

i'm not sure what i was thinking when i first bought the passat...i obviously didn't do my research.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:06 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by rb1
That's a negative, at VW a synthetic oil change on my GTi is over $100. I own a shop and it costs me $21.44 in materials for the GTi Oil change vs. $11.04 in materials for a TSX. Its not the end of the world, I just thought it was worth mentioning that the Passat V6 is going to cost more to own and maintain. When a TSX comes in for a service at my place its just like every other car, $24.95 plus tax- and at that price I make money on them(not enough to live the high life, but its not a loss leader either).

And of course I realize the passat V6 is different from the GTi VR6 however it is equally as expensive to maintain.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Über Geek

I didn't consider the Passat because a) it's not as sporty or nimble as the TSX, and b) VW's reliability BLOWS. I like VWs. I just wouldn't OWN one.

Here's a test: pay attention to all the VWs and Hondas/Acuras you see in the next few days. I'd bet cold hard cash that the VWs are almost all are later models and the Hondas will span 3-5 model generations.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:36 PM
ric
Safety Car

I forgot to mention

Originally Posted by bob shiftright
Yes. Consumer Reports loved the Passat. I drove it. MY impression - the quality is there but it only goes about one atom below the finely crafted surfaces. Recent VWs have a reputation as oil-pumpers, I know a guy who had his Jetta's window fall into the door while I was there and about a week later I noticed a tarp covering the passenger window of a neighbor's Golf. I have a cousin who's a VW diesel nut and he generally gets at least 2xx,xxx out of one before the rust worm takes over. He's also an engineer with a big garage and a great set of tools, and he actually enjoys working on his cars. Like CR, I think the Passat is a great car from a dynamic standpoint but the reliability and durability are scary.
I forgot to mention that both windows on my Jetta caved into the doors. the transmission locked into park (intermittantly) which required one of the towing efforts from my highrise garage - because the dealer was so unresponsive (rude, with a two-week waiting time for appointments), I had all the work done at a local mechanic that I actually trust. Costs for repairs, including three tow jobs (two from my apartment building's parking garage, one from a late night meeting with a client ) , in the last three months of my lease have exceeded $3,000. The Jetta GLX with sports suspension and a plush interior has been a hot car, fun to toss around on the road, but - the reliability makes it hell. My costs are reimbursed - it's a company car - but I'm a partner, so these staggering costs come out of my pocket, one way or the other. I believe the GLX ha been discontinued with the hope that one would buy an Audi A4, but I won't touch a vw/Audi product until they clean up their reliability act. One of my partner's experiences with his Passat was quite similar - and we have both turned our cars in as soon as we could without heavy penalties. The TSX became my car of choice stacked against the BMW (too showy and expensive to maintain), the Audi A4 (NO!!!!!!), the new Volvo S40 and the TXS,s big sister, the TL (Too big for my taste). I take delivery on the TXS on Tuesday of this coming week, and already it's been a better car! All I want is a small, fun, very comfortable car to spend 20,000 miles/year in while not having to have it towed! VW/Audi make beautifully designed cars, for what they are, but - if you can't drive them, what's the point!
Old 06-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Subie Tech

Originally Posted by captainjack
I didn't consider the Passat because a) it's not as sporty or nimble as the TSX, and b) VW's reliability BLOWS. I like VWs. I just wouldn't OWN one.

What he said and cause they are made in Mexico!!!
Old 06-27-2004, 09:06 PM
7th Gear

VW Passat

I've been lurking on this forum because I'm considering replacing my Passat 1.8t 5MT with a TSX when the Passat comes off lease. I love my Passat (it's my second in a row.) The TSX is nicer car, but then again, it also costs more: My 1.8T doesn't have a power driver's seat or xenon headlights, or 6MT, but it does have heated mirrors, a trip computer, height-adjustable passenger seat, foglights, comparable torque and better EPA fuel economy than does the TSX.

The Passat drives nicely. The TSX drives even better, based on my short test drive. The TSX feels marginally faster, but on local streets, not significantly different. If the 1.8T is 8 on a 4-cylinder scale of smoothness, the TSX is a 10.

My Passat cost me $23,000 new (including leather, moonroof, alloys, rear sunshade, homelink) plus about $1000 to replace the head unit (with a Pioneer XM), speakers, and add amps and a subwoofer. (One thing you may not realize is that it's really easy to replace the Passat head unit with an aftermarket one, unlike the TSX).

There's no question in my mind that even money, the TSX is a nicer car. But you need to compare apples to apples.

This stuff about Passat oil changes is just silly. An oil change on a Passat is no different from any other typical car (except that 5W-40 is preferred). You can get a $19.00 oil change if you want. Synthetic is not required. I happen to use synthetic myself--but it's not required. 1.8T's (Jetta's and Passats) did have defective ignition coils for about a year, but those have been recalled and replaced under warranty. New ones don't have that problem. Neither of my Passats, over 6 years, had serious or frequent repair problems (total of about 120,000 miles between the two of them, so far). However, I agree that I would prefer not to own a Passat over 70,000 miles or so, at least not without an extended warranty.

Jettas and Passats are different animals. Jettas are built in Mexico, Passats in Europe.

The solid feel of the Passat, and especially the quality of the interior materials, is exceptional for a car in its price range. The TSX is comparable, but not better, I don't think. The TSX definitely feels like a tighter driver's car, though.

My opinion is that VW has really hurt its image over the last couple of years by not properly addressing the quality issues its customers have encountered. My personal experience is not bad (though the dealers really do suck), and as I said, I think the Passat is a great car. Give me $28,000, though, and I'll buy the TSX!

David
Old 06-27-2004, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by CraZydudE
nope.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I feel like I say this a lot...

We have these 2 cars. They are very different in look, feel, and driving dynamics. The TSX is mine, the Passat (GLX V6) is hers. Obviously I prefer the TSX, but I love our Passat. We've been lucky thus far with a lack of repairs (except tires- doh!), but I'll admit that I'm wary of this in the future. CR still has the V6 Passat at the top of their rankings for V6 family sedans (the Accord is for 4-cyl) and it's the only VW they have ranked with 'average' reliability... the 4-cyl was brought down by the engine coil issue.

I'd say the Passat is more luxurious, bigger, and it's the car we take our usually friends out in (for room and a more cushy ride). The TSX is quicker, more fun, and it's the one we take down mountain roads for a weekend They feel very different, and you'll develop a preference for one or the other immediately.

All that being said, it sounds like you're being offered a great deal!

Our fleet:

Old 06-28-2004, 06:17 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by dgkFL
I've been lurking on this forum because I'm considering replacing my Passat 1.8t 5MT with a TSX when the Passat comes off lease. I love my Passat (it's my second in a row.) The TSX is nicer cars, but then again, it also costs more: My 1.8T doesn't have a power driver's seat or xenon headlights, or 6MT, but it does have heated mirrors, a trip computer, height-adjustable passenger seat, foglights, comparable torque and better EPA fuel economy than does the TSX.

This stuff about Passat oil changes is just silly. An oil change on a Passat is no different from any other typical car (except that 5W-40 is preferred). You can get a $19.00 oil change if you want. Synthetic is not required. I happen to use synthetic myself--but it's not required. 1.8T's (Jetta's and Passats) did have defective ignition coils for about a year, but those have been recalled and replaced under warranty. New ones don't have that problem. Neither of my Passats, over 6 years, had serious or frequent repair problems (total of about 120,000 miles between the two of them, so far). However, I agree that I would prefer not to own a Passat over 70,000 miles or so, at least not without an extended warranty.

David

Two things- the TSX has two not one tripometer's

And your comparing a 1.8T oil change(which uses a regular VW oil filter) vs. the V6- I only see about 5 passat's a week(for the last 5 or 6 years), I clearly have NO clue what I'm talking about
Old 06-28-2004, 06:26 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by jcg878
Our fleet:
I see the Passat gets the grass and the TSX gets the driveway.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:22 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by biker
I see the Passat gets the grass and the TSX gets the driveway.
lol... actually, we were waxing the Passat and trying to keep it out of the sun
Old 06-28-2004, 07:33 AM
Go Dutch !

As being mentioned by others before, I too think there are way too many Passat's driving around... I don't like to see 15-20 of the same cars when driving to work... TSX/EuroAccord is much more exclusive... I hardly ever come by another one... Plus I think it just looks soooo much better than a Passat...
Old 06-28-2004, 09:35 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

That's a negative, at VW a synthetic oil change on my GTi is over $100. I own a shop and it costs me $21.44 in materials for the GTi Oil change vs. $11.04 in materials for a TSX. Its not the end of the world, I just thought it was worth mentioning that the Passat V6 is going to cost more to own and maintain.
I cry foul on the oil change quote (or at least you need to find another shop). Just called the local VW dealer, and the quote for an oil-change only on a GTi is $32.

I'm not sure how the TSX fares, but previous generation Acuras have required maintenance that you don't see needed on VW's. For example, my Integra required a valve adjustment and clutch adjustment every 15,000 miles. while my VW has both self-adjusting valves and a self-adjusting clutch.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:46 PM
7th Gear

1- I was referring to trip *computer*, not trip *odometer*. AFAIK you have to have navi on the TSX to get a trip *computer*.

2-My previous Passat was a V6. Since I didn't have the turbo concerns I have now, I changed the oil with dino and my average oil change cost me $22.00 at my local quick lube. I watched them change the filter each time. That was about 15 oil changes while I owned it. The filter never did leak nor pop off, and the car never used any oil while I owned it, never had a valve job or anything, so I guess they were doing somethiing right?

David
Old 06-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Cruisin'

I was considering the 1.8T Passat with 4-motion and a 5 speed. I went on a test drive of the Passat and TSX Saturday. You can get $3000.00 off a Passat with 4-motion right now plus an additional $1000.00 off if you bought a car through Volkswagen Credit before. That means leather, 4-motion, turbo, and it ends up being around the same cost as the TSX. I'm almost 100% pretty sure I'm getting the TSX, it's just more sporty and has more features. The Passat is truly a sedan (one of the best out there) with a lot more room, autobahn tuned suspension, and some serious torque. The benefit of the Passat if definitely the 4-motion with the ability to chip the 1.8T's turbo and get power will into the 200 horsepower and 208 ft/lbs of torque range. I have owned only Volkswagen and for me I think it's time to move on into something else.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JeffTSX
What he said and cause they are made in Mexico!!!
Actually, the Passat, R32, Phaeton, and Touareg are all made in Germany, the Jetta, Beetle, and Golf are made in Mexico or South America. So the build quality is better on the German made Volkswagens just like the Japanese made cars are better if they're made in Japan rather the America. I know this sounds bad but it's true.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:51 PM
built for speed

Gotta chime in now. My wife's 2001 Jetta 1.8T (Wolfsburg) was made in Germany, not Mexico, as many have said. It's clearly labelled on the car. It's running well now but during the first two years the car had 10 ignition coils replaced and 3 window regulators replaced (all under warranty thankfully). The check engine light is always on and there's a rattle from underneath that no one can identify. Don't blame the poor quality of VW on the country of assembly. They all have poor quality. Great car when it's working, but prone to breakdowns. We'll keep buying Japanese cars from now on (unless I can find a cheap M3).
Old 06-29-2004, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wolfman22
Actually, the Passat, R32, Phaeton, and Touareg are all made in Germany, the Jetta, Beetle, and Golf are made in Mexico or South America. So the build quality is better on the German made Volkswagens just like the Japanese made cars are better if they're made in Japan rather the America. I know this sounds bad but it's true.
Jetta Wagons and Jetta Wolfsburgs are/were built in Germany as well...

I think the reason that the German built VW's appear have better build quality, is because that is where their high end models are built. Phaeton's, Touareg's etc do not suffer from the same issues that the Golf/Jetta do...and so they shouldn't, being almost 3X the price.

Take a look at the early Mk4 Golf's for example (99.5 - 2000). Many of these were built in Germany and suffered from the same substandard build quality that plagued the Brazilian built models.

Robots don't care what country they're in.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

answer to the question : no
Old 06-30-2004, 08:51 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bbbuzzy
Gotta chime in now. My wife's 2001 Jetta 1.8T (Wolfsburg) was made in Germany, not Mexico, as many have said. It's clearly labelled on the car.
I don't think so. I have a 2001 Jetta 1.8T Wolfburg, too, and they are assembled in Mexico. The engines are all built in Germany, and the transmissions come from various places (Brazil, Argentina, etc).

Anyway, it's easy to tell by looking at the V.I.N. If it begins with a 'W', then it was asembled in Germany. If it begins with a 3, it was assembled in Mexico.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rb1
I don't think so. I have a 2001 Jetta 1.8T Wolfburg, too, and they are assembled in Mexico. The engines are all built in Germany, and the transmissions come from various places (Brazil, Argentina, etc).

Anyway, it's easy to tell by looking at the V.I.N. If it begins with a 'W', then it was asembled in Germany. If it begins with a 3, it was assembled in Mexico.
I believe half of the Wolfsburg's were built in Germany and the other half were built in Mexico. Can somebody confirm this?
Old 06-30-2004, 10:35 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Bahnstormer
I believe half of the Wolfsburg's were built in Germany and the other half were built in Mexico. Can somebody confirm this?
Not saying it isn't possible -- we just need someone with German built car to report in with the first part of their VIN and we can confirm one way or the other. Folks on VWVortex say that all U.S. Jetta's are assembled in Mexico.

"Wolfsburg" is just a special Jetta edition that VW has had in several of their past Jetta lines (and they had both 2001 and 2003 Wolfies with the MKIV, which is unusual).
Old 06-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rb1
Not saying it isn't possible -- we just need someone with German built car to report in with the first part of their VIN and we can confirm one way or the other. Folks on VWVortex say that all U.S. Jetta's are assembled in Mexico.

"Wolfsburg" is just a special Jetta edition that VW has had in several of their past Jetta lines (and they had both 2001 and 2003 Wolfies with the MKIV, which is unusual).
You're right, I can now confirm that all Wolfburg's are built in Mexico. Although all Wagons are built in Germany.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:45 AM
6th Gear

Acura is more superior , the quality of the German cars as vw in USA are not to great , unless you ship one over from Europe to have the same quality, Japanese cars are the best for US, reliable and they are made to last long miles, Passat will have problems down the road , Jetta is an example is so weak that the engine will blow before you reach 150k but with the European Bora what is actually the same car you can go a long way ..... anyway that is my opinion and is base on several research until i realize that TSX is a great combination between economy luxury sporty and durability ..... ..... .

Quick Reply: Did anyone consider V6 PASSAT before TSX?