Condenser/Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:58 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Condenser/Compressor

Have a 2007 TSX that took a nose dive into the rocks after being knocked off the freeway. The condenser was damaged pretty bad from it, and the compressor failed as a result (in the opinion of my mechanic). The insurance company covered the condenser but denied the coverage of the compressor. They said it was mechanical failure of the compressor. An oil change/service was done 9 days prior to the accident at an Acura dealership and there were no recommended repairs and the AC system works fine.

So how can I show the insurance company that the condenser caused the compressor to fail? I haven't been able to find an article about that.

Please help
Old 05-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Loss of refrigerant from the damaged condensor would have disabled the compressor (low pressure switch opens and compressor clutch will not close). This feature is precisely for the event that occured to you. It protects the compressor from operating w/o lubricant (carried by refrigerant).

Hence, the compressor should be fine if it was OK before accident. I would be suspicious of a shop that says it's damaged due to loss of refrigerant.

However, it is possible that physical damage occured due to impact to compressor. In this case there would be physical evidence of failure.

If you're still concerned, you can find a used compressor for < $200 on ebay or car-part.com and replace.

good luck
The following users liked this post:
NBP04TL4ME (05-19-2015)