Cold Mornings = Hard starts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Mornings = Hard starts?

I'm wondering if anyone else's TSX is having a hard time starting in the cold-weather areas? We've had temps ranging from 10 above to -22 below, WITHOUT the wind chill. My TSX has always sounded like it's not going to start in cold weather, although it eventually does. A month ago I put a new Sears Diehard Gold battery in it thinking that would solve all my problems. But it still cranks about 8 times before it eventually, reluctantly turns over. I have to park outside, and I don't have an engine block heater. But I'm wondering if this is normal behavior for the TSX?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Instructor

I had that problem...but over here in NC, it only gets about 10 or 20 at the coldest. But anyways, i put in a new Battery from the Acura Dealership and the TSX turns only like 2-3 times before it turns on.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Normal. My 04 does this once the temps get into the 20s. I thought I was going to be stranded at work yesterday when I went to leave at 5. It takes a while to crank.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From what I've seen of my car it seems to be normal. I actually needed to get the charger out to start my car on Monday after not driving it since Friday. It was 4° F and it just barely didn't have enough juice. The stock battery is pretty weak it seems.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
From what I've seen of my car it seems to be normal. I actually needed to get the charger out to start my car on Monday after not driving it since Friday. It was 4° F and it just barely didn't have enough juice. The stock battery is pretty weak it seems.
I knew the stock battery sucked, but I thought once I put in the new one, that it'd turn over like a breeze. On Sunday, I ran my car for about 20 minutes because I hadn't gone anywhere and didn't want it to freeze up on me in the below zero temps!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Intermediate

i had the same problem last night here in new york, i had to get a push start. I am thinking of getting an odyssey battery, what do you guys think
Old 01-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Drifting

If I were going to upgrade the battery I'd just go for the Optima and forget about it. I'm not real impressed with whoever makes the stock Acura branded ones.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Consumer Reports says that the new Sears Diehard Platinum is the best battery money can buy, and I was ready to shell out the $180 or so for it, however they do not make one yet to fit my TSX.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

If I were going to upgrade the battery I'd just go for the Optima and forget about it. I'm not real impressed with whoever makes the stock Acura branded ones.
Doing a search on Optima's website, they do not list a battery for the TSX.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Drifting

They make one though I can't remember the size. It's not listed on the site from what I've heard. It's the same size as another one they make that is listed but the poles are reversed.

Maybe some one in the know can chime in?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Oops, missed the edit window. The size is 51R. They just recently began making it again after some big machine that needed was replaced.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Instructor

I was up in Duluth this past weekend with morning temps approaching -20. I joked with my wife that we'd be asking for a jump start, but luckily we didn't need the car till around 10 am when it was a balmy -5F. It started, but it was not happy.

It's my only real gripe about the quality of this car. I mean -5 should not be cold for a car that's only 2 years old. My old civic had an easier time starting at -30. I'd be interested to hear more if it's the battery that needs replacement, or whether this will continue to be an issue for this car.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BulldogHockey
I was up in Duluth this past weekend with morning temps approaching -20. I joked with my wife that we'd be asking for a jump start, but luckily we didn't need the car till around 10 am when it was a balmy -5F. It started, but it was not happy.

It's my only real gripe about the quality of this car. I mean -5 should not be cold for a car that's only 2 years old. My old civic had an easier time starting at -30. I'd be interested to hear more if it's the battery that needs replacement, or whether this will continue to be an issue for this car.
As I've said, I replaced the battery and it didn't seem to make much difference at all, and my car is under 2 years old.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:50 AM
6MT or Death

I have an 06 and I've experienced the same thing, but even on the coldest mornings when it's taken longer than usual to start it always starts.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Drifting

It's a high compression engine. Cold air compresses less easily and on top of that stock battery is on the weak side. A gel type battery like Optima is less adversely effected by the cold so that would be something I would look strongly towards in climates where it routinely gets well below freezing.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
16 F here in Cincinnati yesterday. Optima Redtop cranked it like it was summertime.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by moda_way
16 F here in Cincinnati yesterday. Optima Redtop cranked it like it was summertime.
I'll definitely have to look into getting one of those by next winter. Coincidentally, if anyone is looking for a replacement battery, that does NOT life in a cold-weather state, I'll have a Sears Diehard Gold used 6 months on the Black Market around October. hehehe
Old 01-22-2008, 02:21 PM
10th Gear

It's a high compression engine. Cold air compresses less easily and on top of that stock battery is on the weak side. A gel type battery like Optima is less adversely effected by the cold so that would be something I would look strongly towards in climates where it routinely gets well below freezing.
The compression ratio is NOT the issue... My friend has an 06 TSX. It started on Sunday in Chicago (5F). Started on the first try, though it took a bit of cranking. Once it started, it ran fine. The K-Series in the TSX has a compression ratio of 10.5:1, on the high side for a gas engine, but not the highest out there. My 2006 IS 250 has a compression ratio of 12:1 and it starts right up, even in the single digit temps. My 2004 Jetta TDI (diesel) has a compression ratio of 19:1 and (after the glow plugs are done) it starts so fast that somestimes I don't release the starter in time. The starting issue with the TSX has to do with emissions. The engine is programmed to turn over a few extra times for the purpose of emission control. I believe the owners manual even states this.

You are correct about the battery, though. The batterys in the TSX and the IS 250 are NOT up to the task of the Winters in the Northern USA. I joke about the 'Flashlight' batteries in out cars.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJB_CHI
The compression ratio is NOT the issue... My friend has an 06 TSX. It started on Sunday in Chicago (5F). Started on the first try, though it took a bit of cranking. Once it started, it ran fine. The K-Series in the TSX has a compression ratio of 10.5:1, on the high side for a gas engine, but not the highest out there. My 2006 IS 250 has a compression ratio of 12:1 and it starts right up, even in the single digit temps. My 2004 Jetta TDI (diesel) has a compression ratio of 19:1 and (after the glow plugs are done) it starts so fast that somestimes I don't release the starter in time. The starting issue with the TSX has to do with emissions. The engine is programmed to turn over a few extra times for the purpose of emission control. I believe the owners manual even states this.

You are correct about the battery, though. The batterys in the TSX and the IS 250 are NOT up to the task of the Winters in the Northern USA. I joke about the 'Flashlight' batteries in out cars.
I do remember either reading in the manual or on the AZ somewhere about the extra cranks required for the emissions thing. I know that even during the summer months, my TSX turns over many more times than any other car I had ever owned. So I guess I would, indeed, have to figure that it's x2 during the winter months.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Drifting

That makes sense though I wish it were smart enough to forgo the extra cranking when the battery only has enough juice for a couple turns. It screwed me over the other day.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Instructor

im having the same problem but it starts.. it just cranks a few more time b4 it turns on
Old 01-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

Yes Its Annoying I Wait Do You Mean U Keep Having To Turn The Key 8 Times? Sorry Misunderstood
Old 01-22-2008, 07:37 PM
East Coast Crew

Haha...props to the Optima. I have no trouble starting up the car, even if it snows or ice. I use the Optima Redtop 35
Old 01-22-2008, 07:50 PM
8th Gear

Haven't had any problem with my new '08 in Chicago.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does it have to be sooooooooooo cold here
Old 01-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Race Director

I just got a new Acura battery and it starts fine. I find it ironic that my older 99 Accord start quickly all the time regardless of it being -10F or 100F. I had the current TL as a loaner and it had that same engine start sound as the 99 Accord and started quickly all the time as well.

I don't know why Honda/Acura just didn't borrow the starter from the US Accord and TL and put it in the TSX.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:55 AM
OEM plus!

Is your red top the 51r?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by A Cake On
Is your red top the 51r?
No, I got the 35.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HI OFECR
Why does it have to be sooooooooooo cold here

I'm willing to bet some of our TSX folks more NW of us have it worse. Trust me, I could do without the cold, but my favorite days are when it is 100% sunny and frigid cold.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm willing to bet some of our TSX folks more NW of us have it worse. Trust me, I could do without the cold, but my favorite days are when it is 100% sunny and frigid cold.
As long as its not windy, i'm with you. I love sunny and cold, but i don't like sunny, cold, & windy.

I actually just got my car checked out due to it not starting via the remote starter in the cold.....it fine, the dealership checked the battery, alternator, and something else and they were all fine, just the nature of the TSX.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by visuelz
Haha...props to the Optima. I have no trouble starting up the car, even if it snows or ice. I use the Optima Redtop 35
The snow and ice isn't the problem, it's when the temperatures are too cold for it to snow even... Sunday night we hit -35 with the wind chill.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
All gasoline contains some amount of water. Once temps drop in the single digits and consistently stay below freezing, it is recommended that you use an ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL-based gas line antifreeze at each fill up as a preventive measure. Try it. It's always worked for me. The stuff is available at all auto parts stores & most department stores (Wal-Mart, etc.).
Old 01-23-2008, 02:08 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Using Optima RT35 here, it started fine even it's -20C last week. On a side note, my stock battery had died on me like 3 times before the temp drop below 0C, which pissed me off quite badly and change to Optima. Well spent $$$ that I never worry and look back.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MardiGras
All gasoline contains some amount of water. Once temps drop in the single digits and consistently stay below freezing, it is recommended that you use an ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL-based gas line antifreeze at each fill up as a preventive measure. Try it. It's always worked for me. The stuff is available at all auto parts stores & most department stores (Wal-Mart, etc.).
One more note......make sure you do not purchase a METHYL ALCOHOL-based (a.k.a. methanol) gas line product. It'll fu** up your fuel system (line, seals, pump, etc.)!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Instructor

This is my first winter w/ my '07, but it's been starting really well. Screams like crazy for a minute, but starts nice and easy. Coldest it's been when I've left (non-windchill) has been just under 0°F. I usually lean in from outside, start it up and kick on the defrosters, clear off all the snow and then take off. What made me sad was watching the LCD displays move in slow motion due to the cold! We're getting down to around -14 tonight apparently-- I want to get a heated blanket for my poor car!! (sorry-- I feel bad leaving it out there!)

Granted, my last car essentially had a carborated fuel injection (the very, very early injection system), so it was always interesting to get going on those sub-zero mornings... (had to give it gas to start it and let it warm up at least 10-15 before it would move!). So my vehicle comparison is probably a bit different than you folks
Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Instructor

Almost -20F air temp this morning. Sounds like I will be getting the Red Top the first time this car does not start (maybe next winter @ 3 years old).

Struggling to find the silver lining with our current weather, but after the engine warms up it's like having a mini super charger with all that oxygen going to the icebox! It's like a totally different car from the dog days of summer.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Using drygas has nothing to do with the slow hard starts of the engine. You're comparing apples to oranges. Two totally different problems.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Drifting

It sucks so much that when our engines are pouring out the most power they're capable of the conditions of the roads are usually as bad as they get.

It draws to mind a particularly awful Alanis Morrissette song (It's like ray-eeeee-ain...).
Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by t_in_maine
Using drygas has nothing to do with the slow hard starts of the engine. You're comparing apples to oranges. Two totally different problems.
Not always true. If your fuel's not flowing, you're gonna have a hard time achieving combustion. The strongest battery in the world won't help.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Not always true. If your fuel's not flowing, you're gonna have a hard time achieving combustion. The strongest battery in the world won't help.
Right, I understand that, but you will notice a HUGE difference in the way your car acts if it's got water/ice in the line. Not only will it have a hard time acheiving combustion, it will run poorly, stutter, stall, etc. I've experience that before. That is not the same thing as just a slow/hard start in cold weather.

Quick Reply: Cold Mornings = Hard starts?