Buying an 06 TSX Manual - what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 02:18 PM
6eD
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Buying an 06 TSX Manual - what to look for?

Hello all,

I found a 2006 manual transmission TSX with 103k miles on craigslist and was wondering if there's anything in particular I should look for before buying. It appears to be a one-owner vehicle and the owner says he has completed all maintenance at a local Acura dealership. The car is listed at $6,700 and looks to be in good shape. It also comes with a set of winter tires.

A co-worker of mine had a 08 TSX that he seemed to really enjoy. I'm looking for something I can buy with cash and don't really want to spend a ton of money.. I've been having the worst luck with cars lately. Not mechanically, just people and weather have sucked. My last car was hit in a parking lot, then destroyed by hail, and then rear-ended by a truck going ~30mph while me and everyone else on the highway were stopped. This was all within the past couple months (smh).

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
That is a good overall deal. At 103K, the car probably isn't even broken in. Just plan to do the 100K mile maintenance items:

water pump, coolant, oil/trans fluid change, brake flush, clutch fluid flush, spark plugs, accessory(not timing) belt/tensioner, and possibly LCA bushings, and shocks.

I'm guessing that the sticker shock of the 100k mile maintenance items is what's causing him/her to sell. If you can do the labour yourself or find an independent shop who uses Honda genuine parts...it can be done at a reasonable cost.

Do a car fax on the car and look it over. Make sure its never been run low on oil. It likely burns a small amount of oil...which can be considered normal. It shouldn't burn enough to be visible with smoke or to create a smell.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:52 PM
6eD
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by BROlando
That is a good overall deal. At 103K, the car probably isn't even broken in. Just plan to do the 100K mile maintenance items:

water pump, coolant, oil/trans fluid change, brake flush, clutch fluid flush, spark plugs, accessory(not timing) belt/tensioner, and possibly LCA bushings, and shocks.

I'm guessing that the sticker shock of the 100k mile maintenance items is what's causing him/her to sell. If you can do the labour yourself or find an independent shop who uses Honda genuine parts...it can be done at a reasonable cost.

Do a car fax on the car and look it over. Make sure its never been run low on oil. It likely burns a small amount of oil...which can be considered normal. It shouldn't burn enough to be visible with smoke or to create a smell.
According to maintenance records the previous owner did change the spark plugs, replace oil/filter, perform valve adjustment, brake inspection, and transmission fluid replacement at 100,791 miles. The service records, from the dealership, are a little hard to read and reference various codes and service types that I'm not familiar with but I don't see anything specific about the water pump, belt/tensioner, LCA bushings, or shocks.

The service records go all the way back to Oct 2010 at 37,231 miles and have new entries for just about every 5k miles. Each oil change used customer supplied oil (she says she supplied Mobil1 fully synthetic until later when switching to Mobil1 Synthetic High Mileage). Things like brake fluid flushes and transmission fluid changes seem to occur multiple times throughout the records - I think there have been two of each so far. I'd be happy to upload a PDF if you think you/anyone thinks they could decipher and give me a better idea of what I'm working with.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:55 PM
6eD
Cruisin'

Oh, and probably more important news: the car now lives in my garage.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 12:17 AM
6eD
Cruisin'

Here's a link to all the maintenance records: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByL...ew?usp=sharing

I thought it was pretty good but very interested in the opinions of other real owners.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:48 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by 6eD
Oh, and probably more important news: the car now lives in my garage.
I 'd!

congrats!!!!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by 6eD
Here's a link to all the maintenance records: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByL...ew?usp=sharing

I thought it was pretty good but very interested in the opinions of other real owners.
I didn't look through the records.
However, if the previous owner took care of anything that is broken...and likely they did, according to you and the 5k interval service noted in the carfax, you'll have an awesome car forever.
(that's the thing about cars, if something is broken or worn, it needs to be replaced and it will live happily ever after.) AND most of the time, you can spot something broken with visual inspections!
keep this maintenance schedule up, and the car will live forever.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:20 AM
6eD
Cruisin'

I'm pretty happy with the car but super bummed about stereo upgrade possibilities. I wanted to throw an Android auto headunit in here and realized last night that it's a major pain to do so. There is the metra dash kit but everything I've read says the metra a/c controls are pretty crappy. Have any of you used it?

I know that this probably sounds like a silly concern but I'd been planning to do this for a while with my last car.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:23 AM

if you put your mind to it, you can do anything you want.

I have a 2006 TL and i'm thinking about buying a rasberry pi equivalent + screen to retrofit into the dash.
i'll make my own android auto