Brand new TSX owner seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new TSX owner seeking advice

Hi guys,

First off, this is my first time posting here so I just wanted to say hi.

I recently purchased a 2004 TSX through a private sale. The owner was an older woman (mid to late 50's) and she sold the car to me @ 83000 km (Yes, I'm up in Canada). I did the standard VIN check and had a friend look at it (nothing too thorough). Long story short, the car checked out and I've had no real issues with it in the short time I've owned it (roughly 1 month). Having said that, I have a few questions for you guys.

What are some things I can do to improve the general longevity/performance/safety of the car without sacrificing fuel economy? I'm not really interested in HP upgrades at this time as this is mostly my daily commuter with the occasional rip along the highway.

I have noticed that the braking power of the car isn't as great as I'd like. Also, this might just be me, but whenever I roll up into my driveway really slowly by taking a sharp turn, it seems like the side windows creak ever so slightly.

Since I'm completely new to all of this (this is the first car I've ever purchased), I thought I'd come to you guys for help after a few searches online led me here. I was previously driving a family member's old 2000 Corolla but this car is a huge upgrade in every way and I'd like to maintain it for as long as possible.

So having said all that, once again, what are some things I can look at investing in? Also, the car manual suggests doing maintenance at 60 000 miles (96 000 Km) but I kind of want to do it soon (it's approaching 85 000) just for peace of mind. Would that be okay?

Any answers and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks once again and I look forward to learning from some of the best.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:12 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The car needs nothing.

Since I purchased my '06 in 2010, I have changed the oil 4 times. That's once per year at about 12,000 miles. In 50,000 miles, that's all I've done. That and replace the power steering line under the recall. I wasn't worried about the original line failing, but just wanted a free power steering fluid change.

The brakes shouldn't be weak. Mine are capable of stopping fast enough to activate the anti-lock mechanism. If you stomp on the brakes and can't get the anti-lock to kick in, you have issues with the brake system.

At 100,000 miles, I plan to flush the coolant, replace the manual gear oil, and replace the brake fluid. That should last get me through the next 100,000 miles. I also bought some ceramic brake pads since they were on super sale, but I take an eternity to go through brake pads.

Oh, almost forgot. I once looked at the cabin air filter and it wasn't very dirty, so I put it back in and don't plan to look at it for a few more years. I also take out the air filter from time to time and knock the dirt out of it and vacuum it off and put it back in.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:10 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only Mobil 1 oil and a Mobil 1 filter in my '04 which now has 158,000 miles. I change twice yearly approximately every 7 to 8,000 miles. Make sure you use a new crush washer when you reinstall the drain plug. Does your TSX still have the OEM brakes? If yes consider replacing. I've used Akebono ceramic pads and ATE slotted rotors for the last 5 years with no issues.

Last edited by flipcide; 10-06-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Brakes w/ OEM pads and new rotors should improve braking.

If automatic, change ATF earlier than Acura schedule. Suggest at 1-2 yr intervals assuming typical mileage accumulation (10k/yr).

Flush brake fluid every 2-3 yrs.

Have underbody treated for corrosion. Salt on northern roads is a big time killer of bodies.

good luck
Old 10-06-2014, 06:31 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by redpoint
The car needs nothing.

Since I purchased my '06 in 2010, I have changed the oil 4 times. That's once per year at about 12,000 miles. In 50,000 miles, that's all I've done. That and replace the power steering line under the recall. I wasn't worried about the original line failing, but just wanted a free power steering fluid change.
I wish I could only drive 50k in 8 years... jealously.

With such a low mileage TSX, you're likely fine. I second what others have recommended about changing the rotors, pads, brake fluid. You will be surprised how much a simple brake bleed will do to improve pedal feel/effort and braking performance.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:25 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I would also check the conditions of the tires to make sure they are not aftermarket cheaper brand or OEM that been on the TSX since new. Sometimes better tires can improve braking just as much as rotors and pads. I would put fresh fluids bumper-to-bumper, replace serpentine belt, test battery, new air/cabin filter, and maybe new spark plugs ($12 each on Amazon).

I would also double check the donut spare to make sure it is good to go. Most tires have a 10 year shelf life. You might want to think about replacement donut or upgrade to a full size spare. I have the OEM donut in the TSX and a full size spare at home if it takes time to order the new replacement tire (TSX is a commuter car).