Backup Camera Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Backup Camera Installed

I hooked up a pioneer backup camera using the aux connection in the naviation brain in the trunk.

Thanks for PhiSigBrotha's DIY for informing all of us it was possible. Even the guys at the audio shop had no idea it was possible to do it this way. SO simple for all 06+ with navigation. Al you have to do is make the pin out and run the wires.

DIY Writeup
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/backup-camera-diy-362179/

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-30-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Yea I can't believe how simple this is. And yet Acura doesn't even make an OEM one for the 1G TSX.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Wow looks just as good as my OEM Infiniti cam!
Old 10-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 10-01-2010, 06:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PhiSigBrotha
Thanks again bro. The audio shop now has your DIY in their files for future reference
Old 10-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Yea I can't believe how simple this is. And yet Acura doesn't even make an OEM one for the 1G TSX.
That part baffles me.....
Old 10-02-2010, 04:11 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy The Saint
That part baffles me.....
Acura probably knew the system can accomodate a backup cam. But a camera is more functional on trucks and SUVs. Thats why the MDX with similar navi has a camera and optional backup sensors.

Next time Im at the Acura dealership Ill see if they have an MDX camera harness in stock to take a look at.

Jimmy the camera looks good. Im still using my "test" camera. Its actually an indoor cam and Im surprised its held up to the elements.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
OP. Can you post a picture of the camera mounted on the outside of the trunk? How did you mount yours?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow looks great, i am very tempted to this.
Which camera is this? link please?
Old 10-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Racer

I'll post a pic of the cam and a link to.it when I get home. Headin back from jersey after picking up my new wheels
Old 10-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Racer

Pic of the camera its a PIONEER ND-BC4. You can get em on ebay for like 160 or something. There are plenty of cheaper cameras but this one is water proof, fully enclosed, awesome in low light and you can tilt it up and down after install to adjust the viewing angle. I wouldn't go cheap on the camera.... I was lucky and got mine for 50 bucks from a friend who owns a car audio shop......

Name:  254300376_photobucket_1197_.jpg
Views: 2459
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  254300376_photobucket_1196_.jpg
Views: 1952
Size:  61.7 KB
Old 10-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Instructor

I got this one, it was made to fit a 08 accord, and is weather proof, it just fits where the license plate light is.......for flush look

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Car-Reverse-Rear-...item335b91ef09

*this one is a nightshot btw

because its fixed, no one can vandalize it or change the camera again, no drilling required and all wires are hidden.

And again thanks PhiSigBrotha

Last edited by extracrunchie; 10-02-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Racer

i may switch to that - mine doesn't have the lines to tell me where my ass end is
Old 10-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Instructor

i may switch to that - mine doesn't have the lines to tell me where my ass end is
ya the lines are really useful.......this camera is not widescreen lense but it has the fishball look........so its pretty wide
Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Hey guys, I think there could be a debate on this. But where did you guys hook it up for power? I chose the reverse light because if I was to have it hooked up to a constant power, that means the camera will be on ALL the time (when the car is on). I believe that even if you don't have it in reverse, the camera is still on. Correct on that if I'm wrong.

People might say that there's a slight delay if you hook it up to the reverse light, but I have yet to confirm if that's even the case. Because I don't believe there's a delay. The only delay is the navi system switching to rearview.

Any input on this?
Old 10-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by extracrunchie
ya the lines are really useful.......this camera is not widescreen lense but it has the fishball look........so its pretty wide
extracrunchie:

What year TSX do you have?

In the close up picture of the backup camera there are 2 white areas on both sides of the camera - what are those? Lights for the license plate?

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by llwtsx
extracrunchie:

What year TSX do you have?

In the close up picture of the backup camera there are 2 white areas on both sides of the camera - what are those? Lights for the license plate?

Thanks.
Its a 07.......those are actually led's so you dont lose a light for the plates.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Hey guys, I think there could be a debate on this. But where did you guys hook it up for power? I chose the reverse light because if I was to have it hooked up to a constant power, that means the camera will be on ALL the time (when the car is on). I believe that even if you don't have it in reverse, the camera is still on. Correct on that if I'm wrong.

People might say that there's a slight delay if you hook it up to the reverse light, but I have yet to confirm if that's even the case. Because I don't believe there's a delay. The only delay is the navi system switching to rearview.

Any input on this?
hmm that is interesting.....ya i do notice a delay because the navi has to load first above all.......im unsure if the backup camera would come up without delay even if its on constant power.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Advanced

Its a 07.......those are actually led's so you dont lose a light for the plates.
Thanks - I'm assuming the color and brightness is slightly different than the other license plate light, correct?

hmm that is interesting.....ya i do notice a delay because the navi has to load first above all.......im unsure if the backup camera would come up without delay even if its on constant power.
That is interesting. I ran a test using my hand held video camera (to test my nav unit cable) and I noticed regardless of where the NAV unit was in its initialization process/screens it immediately took the input from the camera. So, I guess the question is how long does the the camera take to power up from initial power up point (e.g., when the reverse lights power is supplied)?

I think I'm going to order the camera you did. I'll run some tests before I install it and see how long it takes.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got this one, it was made to fit a 08 accord, and is weather proof, it just fits where the license plate light is.......for flush look

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Car-Reverse-Rear-...item335b91ef09

*this one is a nightshot btw

because its fixed, no one can vandalize it or change the camera again, no drilling required and all wires are hidden.

And again thanks PhiSigBrotha
Do the lines actually move as you turn the wheel to project where you will end up?

I had to chose between backup cam and ipod video hookup and went with the ipod since I will be using that more often.
Though the backup cam is very helpful in this car because you can't tell where the trunk ends by looking out the back.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Pro

Pic of the camera its a PIONEER ND-BC4. You can get em on ebay for like 160 or something. There are plenty of cheaper cameras but this one is water proof, fully enclosed, awesome in low light and you can tilt it up and down after install to adjust the viewing angle. I wouldn't go cheap on the camera.... I was lucky and got mine for 50 bucks from a friend who owns a car audio shop......

did you screw the camera into the body of the trunk? Or are you just using double sided tape? I want to hookup my camera, but I think tape will just come loose over time/washes. However, I don't want to put a screw hole in my trim as well! Advice?

btw people, if you want a top of the line backup camera for $$$, look for the sanyo CCA-BC200. It has the adjusted viewing lines that you actually calibrate yourself for accuracy, as well as a projected (simulated) overhead view of your bumper. It's a little more complicated to hook up as there's a control button that you can mount in your driver's side area.

Here's a link to a forum member's review: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=sanyo
Old 10-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Advanced

I can see the night shot pic so i have to ask. What color are those LED's ? And do they match to say a 6k or 5k color? Do they light up the plate are well enough? Thanks depending on how it looks i will probably order one.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Thanks - I'm assuming the color and brightness is slightly different than the other license plate light, correct?
Ya it is alot brighter than the regular license plate light, so i had to order leds.

Do the lines actually move as you turn the wheel to project where you will end up?

I had to chose between backup cam and ipod video hookup and went with the ipod since I will be using that more often.
Though the backup cam is very helpful in this car because you can't tell where the trunk ends by looking out the back.
Unfortunately it doesnt because its not sense the steering.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Ya it is alot brighter than the regular license plate light, so i had to order leds.
When you figure out the correct LED's to get, and how to install them, where you got them, etc., can you post the info here? I'll probably be doing that too.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Instructor

When you figure out the correct LED's to get, and how to install them, where you got them, etc., can you post the info here? I'll probably be doing that too.

Thanks.
i just ordered these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.34608

not sure, its the same color yet......the bulb size is 168
Old 10-04-2010, 12:51 AM
Instructor

where would you hook it up for constant power?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:20 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
where would you hook it up for constant power?
The LED light taps into your license plate lights, the camera taps into your reverse indicator light. That way the camera turns on when you hit reverse, the nav sense power from the camera and enables the feed.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:35 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
@ExtraCrunchie: Props for a very flush and clean setup that almost looks OEM!

My only gripe with your setup is that you lose one of your license plate lights.

Hear is my set up:

Old 10-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Advanced

i just ordered these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.34608

not sure, its the same color yet......the bulb size is 168
I sent the following to the ebay vendor (factorykiss):
> Another question I have is about the LED's on the camera - what
> temperature/color are the LED's (e.g, 5k, 6k, etc.)?
and received this:
> Thanks for your email. It is about 6000K.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Advanced

I sent the following to the ebay vendor (factorykiss):
> Another question I have is about the LED's on the camera - what
> temperature/color are the LED's (e.g, 5k, 6k, etc.)?
and received this:
> Thanks for your email. It is about 6000K.
thanks for finding out. Im going to go ahead a order one. I already have 5k LED plate lights so i hope they match close enough.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xenonhid
@extracrunchie: Props for a very flush and clean setup that almost looks oem!
+1

...my only gripe with your setup is that you lose one of your license plate lights.
I didn't think so. The camera has LED's built into it which replace the one license plate light that is removed when the camera is installed.

Take a look at the camera in post #12 above which shows the camera. You'll see two small white squares on either side of the camera - those are the LED's. We're attempting to figure out how to make the other license plate light match the camera's LED's so it looks balanced and about the same color.

extracrunchie: It wasn't clear to me from the ebay vendor - the LED's in the camera do connect to the current license plate light connector for power, correct? How? Out of the camera I see the wires that get connected to the reverse lights powering the camera, and the RCA jacks, but where does the LED power come from? I guess I'm making the assumption that the license plate lights in the camera are on whenever the car lights are turned on (Just like the OEM license plate lights). Or do the LED's only come on when the camera is powered on (via the reverse lights)? In which case xenonhid is correct - one of the license plate lights is lost while driving around at night.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Advanced

^ looking at the picture, it looks like there are two power inputs. The red rca like bung is a power jack for the extra plug thats provided which im guessing is for the camera.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Instructor

+1

I didn't think so. The camera has LED's built into it which replace the one license plate light that is removed when the camera is installed.

Take a look at the camera in post #12 above which shows the camera. You'll see two small white squares on either side of the camera - those are the LED's. We're attempting to figure out how to make the other license plate light match the camera's LED's so it looks balanced and about the same color.

extracrunchie: It wasn't clear to me from the ebay vendor - the LED's in the camera do connect to the current license plate light connector for power, correct? How? Out of the camera I see the wires that get connected to the reverse lights powering the camera, and the RCA jacks, but where does the LED power come from? I guess I'm making the assumption that the license plate lights in the camera are on whenever the car lights are turned on (Just like the OEM license plate lights). Or do the LED's only come on when the camera is powered on (via the reverse lights)? In which case xenonhid is correct - one of the license plate lights is lost while driving around at night.
If you notice he has 2 bare wires, a red connector and a yellow connector.

well the 2 bare wires power the LEDs, the red connector is not a RCA connector rather its the power cable for the camera(which he provides the black connector that will expose the bare wires) and finally the yellow connector is RCA that hooks from to the Navi drive.

and my cheap LEDs just came, so ill take a pic of it this weekend when i install it

Last edited by extracrunchie; 10-06-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Instructor

+1

well the 2 bare wires power the LEDs, the red connector is not a RCA connector rather its the power cable for the camera(which he provides the black connector that will expose the bare wires) and finally the yellow connector is RCA that hooks from to the Navi drive.

and my cheap LEDs just came, so ill take a pic of it this weekend when i install it
Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Instructor

@ExtraCrunchie: Props for a very flush and clean setup that almost looks OEM!

My only gripe with your setup is that you lose one of your license plate lights.

Hear is my set up:

Thanks, props to your custom dash man......looks good

But you dont lose the function of the license light, the camera has it built in so you just connect them to the existing power and ground of the license lights.

But the main problem is matching the led's lights built in on the camera to the aftermarket ones.....
Old 10-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Advanced

Thanks - that explains how it all gets put together. Naturally, the red connector goes to the black connector...

I'll order the camera now.

Let us know how the cheap LED's work out.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Instructor

Thanks - that explains how it all gets put together. Naturally, the red connector goes to the black connector...

I'll order the camera now.

Let us know how the cheap LED's work out.
the camera itself fits perfectly onto the trunk, but i doesnt on the bezel, you would have to pop the bezel out and sand it down
Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Pro

How are you all attaching the cameras to the bezel? Are you using double sided tape or are you screwing them into the plastic?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Instructor

the camera attaches to the trunk, theres a hook on the camera.......because the license lights does not protrude over the bezel, theres no shaving needed, but the camera does so shaving is needed
Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Advanced

...and my cheap LEDs just came, so ill take a pic of it this weekend when i install it
Any update? How did the LED's work out?

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Installed