Axle replacement companies

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Axle replacement companies

Called Raxles this morning, and he currently can't make any for the TSX due to part sourcing. I'm not doing auto parts store because I've read people having to replace 2-3 before going OEM to fix the issue (unless theirs a specific brand there to choose). DSS doesn't make their Stage 0 axles anymore.

Is OEM the only way to go currently?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I only know of changing the Axle to fix the vibration issue from damage to the inner joints. (I just did this very recently)
In this case OEM is the only way to go, either brand new, or replacement oem joint.
Apparently people have said that aftermarket isn't specced correctly and will lead to vibrations, something about the length being too long.

For performance, I don't know. If you change the whole suspension and drivetrain setup it may be a different story for axle options.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SeaJay
I only know of changing the Axle to fix the vibration issue from damage to the inner joints. (I just did this very recently)
In this case OEM is the only way to go, either brand new, or replacement oem joint.
Apparently people have said that aftermarket isn't specced correctly and will lead to vibrations, something about the length being too long.

For performance, I don't know. If you change the whole suspension and drivetrain setup it may be a different story for axle options.
Yeah, I have the 40-60mph acceleration wobble + took to Acura to diagnose.

They wouldn't be for performance at all, just replacement. I was gonna do it myself, but based on the price they quoted and the price the axles cost to buy elsewhere (OEM), I might just let the dealership do it and be done.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Then yes, OEM axles all the way.
I replaced mine myself, dealership costs are way too high for my taste.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Pro

Then yes, OEM axles all the way.
I replaced mine myself, dealership costs are way too high for my taste.
Ok, thanks a lot.

And now that I think about it, the diagnostic sheet only lists the cost of parts, I think (it was a list of parts they found that had "failed")...I don't think they put the labor costs on the sheet.

Definitely not a problem for me to do it if it'll save me $200+.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Instructor

I did the repair just to the inner joint myself for ~$128 USD.
I had most of the tools and rented the 36mm axle socket from Auto Zone ($20).

The axle joint replacement is very easy. There is a little bit of difficulty removing the axle, but it is a very doable DIY.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...rented the 36mm axle socket from Auto Zone ($20)...
I was under the impression that the tool loan was free, but required that you put down a deposit.

Did you really pay $20 to rent a 36mm socket? If so you could have bought one on amazon for ~$10 or McMaster for $17.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Yes I rented it. When I returned it I got my full $20 back. My auto zone is 5 minutes from my house. The nearest Amazon is not near my house :P
Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Pro

Finally tackled this tonight, but Im gonna have to finish tomorrow. I just have to put the inner cv joint cover on + grease in + boot.

I bought the intermediate bearing and bushing, but now I'm wondering if I should bother. Number 1, I can't get the 3 bolts off for the housing (wonder if I should take this as a sign). Number 2, there doesn't seem to be any play (up and down) at the bearing, nor is there any fluid leaking around it.

Based on how the inner cv joint looks, what could actually cause it to go bad? I don't get it. The only thing I could think of is the intermediate bearing.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Instructor

I left mine alone as well. Same thing I didn't see any leak or visual signs of wear.
It might be something to do later but if damage to the shaft is cause by the vibrations stemming from the inner joint, then I would think that replacing the joint would stop any more issues.

Unless it is the shaft which is the cause.

If you aren't prepared to tackle some seized bolts I'd leave it for another day. See if the vibrations are gone with just the joint change.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Pro

I left mine alone as well. Same thing I didn't see any leak or visual signs of wear.
It might be something to do later but if damage to the shaft is cause by the vibrations stemming from the inner joint, then I would think that replacing the joint would stop any more issues.

Unless it is the shaft which is the cause.

If you aren't prepared to tackle some seized bolts I'd leave it for another day. See if the vibrations are gone with just the joint change.
That's the conclusion I came to...once I couldn't get them off. I'll just finish the job today.