Any TSX owners come from a Passat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any TSX owners come from a Passat?

Hey all,

Passat owner here. Getting tired of the wallowy suspension on my car.

The TSX was not released when I bought my car. Wondering if any here came from the Passat and can share their comparisons. I have the 1.8t manual tranny GLS.

thanks,

randy
Old 11-10-2004, 01:42 AM
Advanced

I had a 1999 Passat GLS 5AT before the TSX (also 5AT)
It's great not having the turbo lag and the AT shifts much better (although the vw tiptronic is great). Sorry i didn't drive the MT versions. You'll find that the car is very smooth and the power will be ready at any given time. The leather seats look great and feel even better. And of course, the exterior is beautiful, everytime i see my car i can't help it but smile like an idiot. The cd changer is very convenient because it is a 6cd in dash, and it should be of much better quality than the vw one, as mine broke down in 2 years.

VW has more attention to detail like the sunroof control, the one touch up/down passenger window, and the 2-pull lock release in the front doors ( i felt like a retard when i pulled the door handle and the door didn't open the first few weeks). But the tsx isn't bad at all, everything inside has a great fit/finish and looks very modern. I personally don't think the rsx interior can even be compared to the tsx. Another thing you might find annoying with the tsx is the key design. It is in two pieces and you cannot lock the car if any of the doors are open (....one time i just used the key to open the car door cause i didn't want to fumble for the key fob............).

The passat is getting redesigned next year i think, so maybe you want to hold out for it? I was actually considering either the a4 or the tsx before i got the tsx. if you like the vw brand the a4 is definitely a good choice because the car is absolutely beautiful inside and out but the standard equipment is laughable compared to the tsx.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:00 AM
Intermediate

my (mentioned it before but just in case anyone should think of purchasing a vw)

Vws suck

1.) Owned 2000 Jetta Lemon - we forced vw of america to buy it back under california lemon law (the car was in for service about 3 times a month- mostly for the same problems)

2.) Owned 2002 Passat 1.8T - car was plagued with problems - 1.8t engine coils all bad, dashboard creaked and popped as loud as a gunshot, had to replace entire radio, air conditioning didn't drain properly so it smelled of rotten eggs every time you turned it on, monsoon stereo sounded average at best and multiple speakers blown after using stereo at average level (around 3), multiple recalls - not just coils - wheel well by gas tank, etc.

3.) This should raise your attention --- The Dealers all suck - at least all in Los Angeles.

We took our car in for a routine oil change to the Santa Monica, CA VW dealer (owned by an !@# named Mike Sullivan - he owns several dealers luckily not Acura) - they called us 2 hours later to let us know that their security guard let a thief walk in off the street and the guard opened the electronic gate for him as he stole our car (the guard said he thought he recognized the theif as a vw employee - nice huh)

so our car was stolen because the vw dealership's policy is to leave the keys in our unlocked cars and they aren't guarded properly (no cameras - nothing) - the dealer won't take responsibility (under the law of mutaul bailment they are liable - but we're thinking of just settling it with our insurance because we can't afford a lawyer) think about that the next time you consider how high car insurance premiums are today...

Anyway, after many sleepless nights, full of rage, we have decided to move on and decided our next car will be the TSX - the reliabilty of the engine and beautiful design will do just fine.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:54 AM
10th Gear

Former Passat owner...

Hey, I had a 99 Passat GLS 5MT for 5 years, put 67,000 miles on it. I had no issues with the drivetrain. But the car did start falling apart around the drivetrain. Creaks, rattles and interior pieces coming loose/off. The driving expierence was great. The car was pretty "tossable" and "peppy". But, I had a crappy VW dealer which took away from the fun.

I've had my TSX SSM 6MT nonav since May 2003. This car is very, very "tossable", a real joy to drive, plenty of power (for me) and a great highway cruiser. One of the many things I like about this car is it doesn't feel Japanese. It has a very strong "European" sports sedan feel to it. Plus all of the great standard features. if you are in the market for another car, you owe it to yourself to test drive a 6MT TSX!
Old 11-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Cruisin'

I had a 2002 Passat which VW agreed to buy back under the lemon law. The reliablity of the VW was so poor, I decided to purchase the TSX and trust VW will make good on their agreement. I was tired of getting to work late because the Passat wouldn't start.
I have had the TSX for 2-1/2 months and have not been late to work once.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Not a Passat, but the little brother, 2001 1.8T Jetta. Loved it, worked great and only had minor problems with. Sadly, VW has a couple of problems that plagued 90+% Jettas (window regulators and MAF sensor). But luckily, the dealer was able to fix both in a couple of hours and get me back on my way. Their service dept leaves a little to be desired, but I'm super thrilled at my Acura service guys either. They never have enough loaners. I have to schedule all appointments weeks in advance to get a loaner - or go bug the sales mgr for another make.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Registered Loser

99 passat to TSX

Very interesting reading about other Passat to TSX transitions. My Passat is still in the garage, as I am having trouble selling it.
I can't do a fair side by side since I put 90K on the VW and only have 2K on the Acura. However, I can say the VW has a better suspension than the Acura for high speed driving (in the Passat, you can do 100 and feel like you're going 60). The TSX handles nice (tighter than a Camry, Accord, etc.) but it's still not "German" in its feel.
Like the others, my decision to retire the Passat was reliability... lots of stupid problems and my lifestyle doesn't allow me too much downtime on the transportation.
What I enjoy -- steering wheel controls for radio/CD...heated seats (although I didn't have leather in the VW), 6MT upgrade from 5MT in the VW (4 cylinders and AT? you must be joking) I also like that you can pop the trunk and it actually opens.
I agree with the other post about the sunroof... the TSX switch sucks.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gipmeister
Very interesting reading about other Passat to TSX transitions. My Passat is still in the garage, as I am having trouble selling it.
I can't do a fair side by side since I put 90K on the VW and only have 2K on the Acura. However, I can say the VW has a better suspension than the Acura for high speed driving (in the Passat, you can do 100 and feel like you're going 60). The TSX handles nice (tighter than a Camry, Accord, etc.) but it's still not "German" in its feel.
Like the others, my decision to retire the Passat was reliability... lots of stupid problems and my lifestyle doesn't allow me too much downtime on the transportation.
What I enjoy -- steering wheel controls for radio/CD...heated seats (although I didn't have leather in the VW), 6MT upgrade from 5MT in the VW (4 cylinders and AT? you must be joking) I also like that you can pop the trunk and it actually opens.
I agree with the other post about the sunroof... the TSX switch sucks.
Man, go get the a-spec suspension kit. After I put it on, I keep driving it on and off, side by side with my E46 sp and I feel the ride on my tsx is exactly the same as my E46. The ride is more firm and less boncy, even it is more stiffer but actually make the ride feel more better.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

We have a 2003 Passat GLX and a 2004 TSX, both 5ATs, that were purchased within a year of each other. I get flamed every time I mention this, but the little things on the Passat are done better as have been mentioned above - sunroof controls, door handles, memory seats synched with remotes, tilt-down right mirror, rear sunshade, etc. The car is torquier with the V6 than the TSX (obviously), but it isn't faster overall. In terms of driving dynamics, the VW only beats the TSX in suspension comfort, but at the penalty of worse handling in the corners. If we're taking a long road trip, we take the Passat since it's much more confortable on the highway.

That being said, I think Acura does the 'big things' better. The TSX is much more fun to drive, has an engine that's a blast even in an AT (with SS), is more nimble, feels lighter, has a better transmission, and just asks to be driven. It also has a much better auto climate control system and a niftier interior. I like the DBW throttle of the TSX and hate the non-linear gas pedal on the Passat :thumbdown: Overall, I prefer the TSX, my wife prefers her Passat (we've been lucky so far - knock on wood), and it works out well.

To me, the Passat says, "Please take me out for a drive, and don't forget to pick up some milk." The TSX says, "F**k the milk - let's take Kelly Drive at 70mph again "

p.s. All VW dealers suck.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jcg878
We have a 2003 Passat GLX and a 2004 TSX, both 5ATs, that were purchased within a year of each other. I get flamed every time I mention this, but the little things on the Passat are done better as have been mentioned above - sunroof controls, door handles, memory seats synched with remotes, tilt-down right mirror, rear sunshade, etc. The car is torquier with the V6 than the TSX (obviously), but it isn't faster overall. In terms of driving dynamics, the VW only beats the TSX in suspension comfort, but at the penalty of worse handling in the corners. If we're taking a long road trip, we take the Passat since it's much more confortable on the highway.

That being said, I think Acura does the 'big things' better. The TSX is much more fun to drive, has an engine that's a blast even in an AT (with SS), is more nimble, feels lighter, has a better transmission, and just asks to be driven. It also has a much better auto climate control system and a niftier interior. I like the DBW throttle of the TSX and hate the non-linear gas pedal on the Passat :thumbdown: Overall, I prefer the TSX, my wife prefers her Passat (we've been lucky so far - knock on wood), and it works out well.

To me, the Passat says, "Please take me out for a drive, and don't forget to pick up some milk." The TSX says, "F**k the milk - let's take Kelly Drive at 70mph again "

p.s. All VW dealers suck.
My brother has a VW and you can notice some of the AUDI touches in the interior.. but overall, their quality is teh suck.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:41 PM
7th Gear

Passat vs. TSX on highway

The reason I check out this forum is I'm pretty sure I will replace my '03 Passat GLS 5sp 1.8T with an '05 TSX 6MT/Navi when my lease expires.

That being said, everytime I see someone here flame Passats, I feel a need to respond: it's a great car for the money. I'm on my second Passat, and just passed 50,000 miles on this one. I did not have serious problems with either Passat (the other had 70,000 miles when I traded it).

My car's only been in service, other than maintenance, twice: once for the coil recall, and once for a broken window lift clip. It's no Honda, but IMHO at least below 100,000 miles, it's nothing to be afraid of either. (Yes, it's turbo, and I'm real careful to change the oil with synth every 5,000 miles).

The car is fun to drive, very high quality materials, good on the highway, and good looking. (BTW, there's ALMOST no turbo lag with the stick. Don't believe everyting you see. Seat of the pants, my Passat is marginally slower than a TSX, but not that much.)

I have a question, though: several people have said the Passat is better on the highway than the TSX. I find that surprsing, given the 6-speed and how much smoother the TSX motor is than the 1.8T. I spend a lot of my time doing 70-80 on interstates, so this is important to me. How do you people feel about the TSX on long highway trips? I have, several times, put 600-700 miles on my Passat in one day, and not been the worse for wear.

Thanks,
David
Old 11-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Intermediate

Volkswagen Passat 6,687 # of 04 lemon law cases

used lemon law in CA on 2000 jetta nightmare

i also owned an 02 passat but it was stolen out of the dealers lot while in for an oil change....

David - consider yourself an exception and be careful about vws in future
Old 11-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by dgkFL
I have a question, though: several people have said the Passat is better on the highway than the TSX. I find that surprsing, given the 6-speed and how much smoother the TSX motor is than the 1.8T. I spend a lot of my time doing 70-80 on interstates, so this is important to me. How do you people feel about the TSX on long highway trips? I have, several times, put 600-700 miles on my Passat in one day, and not been the worse for wear.
Many people here are Honda loyalists to the end... just keep that in the back of your mind when German cars are geing trashed

We don't have a 1.8T Passat but I've driven my friend's from Greensboro, NC -> Athens, GA and back, and we usually take our Passat on trips to VA and NC when we go. The Passat's better highway characteristics (for me) are basically limited to the suspension. It's softer and I prefer it on highways. My wife finds the TSX seats to push her shoulders forward, so she prefers the Passat on long trips for that reason too. I think the TSX seats are very comfortable, and the engine is great on the highway. The suspension is the difference - the TSX's firm suspension is not as comfy over long trips.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:00 PM
9th Gear

I have the next best thing, audi a4 1.8t 2001 great car absolutly love it, but compared to the tsx the audi seems slow but the suspension and engineering are great.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Racer

I had a 2003 Passat GLS 1.8T 5MT.

I sold the car, though, becuase the black color just drove me NUTS. It looked like it does in the pictures for about 15 minutes, and then it was a nice shade of dark grey the rest of the time. The passat also just didn't have a sporty transmission and felt like it just wanted to glide along instead of being athletic (a la TSX).

I do love VWs, though, and my fiance drives an '06 Jetta 2.5. Their interior quality and attention to detail is unmatched for the price. I find many things about the Jetta's interior that are more thought out and higher quality materials than the TSX.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Race Director

wow this thread is almost 3 years old. i was looking at the new gen Passat with the 3.6 V6 and 4 motion, but i was unsure of reliability and maintenance costs. i'm going to stick with the Japanese luxury cars; Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura even if i don't intend on buying another Acura.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Back in a TL again.

another zombie drug bring back from the dead

i had a audi a4 quattro 96 sold it at 180k some problems here and their but was nice...

figure vw audi same thing
Old 10-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Racer

Whoops! Didn't realize the thread was so old...
Old 10-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Instructor

I used to drive a 1999 Passat GLS (1.8T AT)

I loved the car and had lots of mods on it. I had OZ F1 cup rims, chipped, exhaust, sound system, lowered, BOV, body kit etc. The car was really comfortable. The only issue, and it's a big issue, is that in 2005, all the OEM parts started fall apart and my warranty was well over. I shed so much money out to fix it that I thought to myself that I might as well buy a new one.

Comparing the two cars, the Passat just felt more solid and comfortable. The Passat was chipped, so it seemed to go quite a bit faster than the TSX (my TSX is still stock except for the OEM kit). I think overall, the TSX is a better car, but something was lacking in the TSX...not too sure how to describe it, but..."soul". If it wasn't the reliability, I wouldn't of sold the Passat then...or if it wasn't reliability, I would of gotten myself an A3 also.

I like the TSX, dun get me wrong, or else I wouldn't of purchased it.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Instructor

I owned a 2000 Passat before the TSX. I would agree with a lot of the positive posts about the Passat. Excellent car with very good quality materials. I think the interior materials are better than the TSX and the little things are very well thought out, auto window up and down, sunroof switch, windows up and down with remote, key fob, etc. What I didn't like about the Passat was the suspension. VW left their more driver oriented suspensions in the late 90s for a softer ride. On the highway the Passat is great, but take a corner at any speed an it floats. Not what I am used to in a VW.

As far as reliability, our TSX has not been great. Quite a few recalls, interior pieces breaking or not holding up well (lower ash tray cover broken, drivers seat moves when braking, center console cover never has opened as it should) etc. We have had a few brake problems, bad rear bearings had to replaced at 80,000 miles etc. It's cost us more than any VW I have owned in the past, BUT, it is a fun car to drive and hopefully will slow down on the dollar drain.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:13 PM
7th Gear

I had a 04 Passat w/ the turbo and I really liked the car, but my turbo went out and cost me like $800 to replace, but I liked it though
Old 08-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mljackson19
I had a 04 Passat w/ the turbo and I really liked the car, but my turbo went out and cost me like $800 to replace, but I liked it though
Wow this is an old post, but I too had a 99 Passat and love the TSX. It is easy to work on, parts are half of the Passat and it has a timing chain. Just change oil and your good.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mljackson19
lmfao this thread is over 7 years old. the OP most likely made up his mind by now