Alternator

Old 02-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator

Hello guys, so I have a whining problem with my 04 tsx again. Two weeks ago I replaced my power steering pump again because it was making a whinning noise it would only make the noise when I started my car cold and once it warmed up it went away. About 4 days ago I went to start my car in the morning and the noise came back. I was pretty positive it wasn't the idler pulley I had just replaced it not to long ago along with my serpentine belt. But I replaced both anyways. But problem is its stilling whinning. What I found weird is that it went away for two weeks and came back. Also with the whine I can tell its from a Lower pulley, hard to explain but when it was the power steering pulley I knew it was that one because I could hear that the noise was higher? I'm thinking it's my alternator pulley I turned my car on today and I got a spray bottle with water and while whinning I sprayed it onto the alternator pulley and the noise goes away for like 5 seconds. Moreover I heard that's what the alternator does before it gives? Thing is I haven't had a problem with my car dying or anything everything is normal on it besides the whine. One thing I've noticed even before I replaced everything is that sometimes when I start my car and i drive away my clock and radio lights on it will like flicker and dim for like 5 seconds and then they'll go back to normal lighting. Just wondering if there's a possible connection with the alternator with that. I mean I've noticed that dimming since sheesh way before maybe like 8 9 months ago? Just need some advice before I go replace the alternator pulley or the alternator itself.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,574 Likes on 6,625 Posts
dimming = replace alternator.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:53 PM
kbh
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You can go an Advance Auto or equivalent and have them test the alternator output. You don't mention your mileage but a 12-13 yo car probably has >130k miles so it is not unreasonable for your alternator to be failing. Mine lasted just over 200 k. Is your tensioner still showing that it is within spec? I replaced my tensioner at about 170K as it was going out of spec. You can also hand spin your water pump pulley and see if the bearing is rough (though the whine would not disappear if that were the cause).
Old 02-01-2016, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kbh
You can go an Advance Auto or equivalent and have them test the alternator output. You don't mention your mileage but a 12-13 yo car probably has >130k miles so it is not unreasonable for your alternator to be failing. Mine lasted just over 200 k. Is your tensioner still showing that it is within spec? I replaced my tensioner at about 170K as it was going out of spec. You can also hand spin your water pump pulley and see if the bearing is rough (though the whine would not disappear if that were the cause).
My car is about to hit 130,000, and yeah the tensioner I just replaced yesterday and it's in spec. I haven't tried the water pump but I'm almost positive it's the alternator. I'm thinking of just replacing the alternator to get it over with. I think it's a bearing in the alternator going bad. Hopefully that's the issue. I just found it weird that it went away in the those two weeks when I replaced the power steering pump and pulley. Then it just came back the other morning.

Last edited by Heyzuez20; 02-01-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:58 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The alternator may be a separate issue...

I had the same whine on cold starts...and after doing a search found that many Acuras have a defective o-ring in the power steering pump inlet. The o-ring lets in air and makes the whining noise.

Here's the fix on the 3G TL...it's much easier on the TSX...right on top of the pump.

https://acurazine.com/forums/problems-fixes-114/diy-105-power-steering-whine-fix-754586/

There's a TSB on this, and the good o-rings are red. If you look and yours is black, it has never been replaced.

I replaced mine this week and the noise went away.

The o-ring is attached to the hose, so it's possible that even though you replaced the pump, the old o-ring is still there. When you tightened the hose fitting, maybe it reseated the o-ring and masked the problem temporarily.

It's worth a shot for $1.50 part and five minutes with a 10 mm wrench. You can get it from your Acura or Honda dealer... part# 91345-RDA-A01.

Hope that helps.

Or ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/401033465701?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 02-02-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:13 AM
Cruisin'

To whom it may concern, I finally figured out what the problem was. I have replaced the idler pulley but I never replaced the tensioner pulley. I replaced it yesteray along with the power steering fluid I flushed the old one out and put oem Honda fluid. Just started my car this morning and no whine at all😎