Acura TSX and the competition

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TSX and the competition

I purchased a 2007 Acura TSX (Milano Red) a month ago. It is a really great car and I enjoy driving it. While it might be nice to have some more horses, the 205 is fine for what I do. I'm not a racer. I've been wondering how my Acura TSX compares to the competition and what you guys think...

1. What do you think of the size? I was looking online and it is around the same size as a Ford Focus. Do you think the TSX is too small? Then again I thought the TL was too big of a car for me.

2. With what other cars does the TSX compete? MSN Auto lists these as competitors: "Top Competitors

»
Saturn Ion
»
BMW 3-Series
»
Mitsubishi Eclipse
»
Saturn Aura
»
Subaru Legacy"

The above makes me wonder how much of a luxury car the TSX is if it isn't competing against other luxury brands.

3. The design of the car while it isn't bad isn't great either. I think I like the interior of my car far more than the exterior. While I know we're waiting to see the 2009 TSX redesign, what do you think of the current year design?

4. Do you think other people really think you're driving a quality, top notch car when they see your TSX?

5. Is the TSX any better than the new redesigned Accord? The 2008 Accord has more power and the design is similar to a BMW almost. I originally meant to get a 2008 Accord but got a TSX instead but I'm wondering if the 2008 Accord isn't a better car for the same price?

Just trying to get some thoughts from other people. I know it's a lot of questions! Just my thoughts...looking for some input from sane people!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:49 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by flasshy
I purchased a 2007 Acura TSX (Milano Red) a month ago. It is a really great car and I enjoy driving it. While it might be nice to have some more horses, the 205 is fine for what I do. I'm not a racer. I've been wondering how my Acura TSX compares to the competition and what you guys think...

1. What do you think of the size? I was looking online and it is around the same size as a Ford Focus. Do you think the TSX is too small? Then again I thought the TL was too big of a car for me.

2. With what other cars does the TSX compete? MSN Auto lists these as competitors: "Top Competitors

»
Saturn Ion
»
BMW 3-Series
»
Mitsubishi Eclipse
»
Saturn Aura
»
Subaru Legacy"

The above makes me wonder how much of a luxury car the TSX is if it isn't competing against other luxury brands.

3. The design of the car while it isn't bad isn't great either. I think I like the interior of my car far more than the exterior. While I know we're waiting to see the 2009 TSX redesign, what do you think of the current year design?

4. Do you think other people really think you're driving a quality, top notch car when they see your TSX?

5. Is the TSX any better than the new redesigned Accord? The 2008 Accord has more power and the design is similar to a BMW almost. I originally meant to get a 2008 Accord but got a TSX instead but I'm wondering if the 2008 Accord isn't a better car for the same price?

Just trying to get some thoughts from other people. I know it's a lot of questions! Just my thoughts...looking for some input from sane people!

Merry Christmas!
when I was in the process of buying a new car in 06 i narrowed by choice down to a mazdaspeed 6 or the tsx. I went to the mazda dealer first and told them what i was looking for. since they did not have it in stock they tried to get me to buy one they did have. when i told him i was going to look at the acuras and see what they had-all of a sudden he said another dealer had what i wanted and they could get it for me-too late-i ended up with my 06 Milano red/eb 6 spd with nav. tsx- bought new 11/17/06-now has 33,000+miles. welcome fellow MR tsx owner.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=flasshy]
»
Saturn Ion JUNK
»
BMW 3-Series a lot more money
»
Mitsubishi Eclipse JUNK
»
Saturn Aura JUNK
»
Subaru Legacy" comparable but with half the reliability

QUOTE]
Old 12-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Pro

The tsx is def. the best out of all those cars. Yea some may have more horses but the # of horses doesn't matter when their car is broke down. Subaru Legacy is the closest comp. but IMO the interior is slightly better in the tsx. Subaru is def a close second overall though. Gas MPG is better with the tsx over Subie..but some people rather have the awd...its varies so much on the person and the 243 horses isn't bad too in the subie
As for your Accord comment. Yea the new accords are nice...very nice engines..but styling is ugly IMO. TSX is so much more refined and rare.
Also I have a Acura CL-S ...I can't get traction when I get on the gas with that fwd beast (260 hp old SAE). I can't imagine more horses to the front wheels...def. way more than what is needed for the average population. IMO...with all that power Honda/Acura needs rwd or awd....sorry for the rample but just my
Old 12-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
@ a Saturn Ion being one of the top competitors.....

Seriously......
Old 12-26-2007, 01:34 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

The TSX, to summarize up is this:

Great car for its value and you bet your horse's donkey that other people think this is a luxury car! I've got nothing but compliments and even when there was none, I can see people turning their heads. I am not a flashy kinda guy and the TSX exemplifies quality and comfort and subtle luxury.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1) Size: Exactly what I was looking for. 4 Doors with a functional rear seat.

2) Competitors: The Saturns are garbage, no comparison at all. The Eclipse is a 2 door pseudo-sports car. I don't know what MSN is trying to say there. The 3 serious beats the TSX handily in pretty much everything but that's what should be expected for the price difference. The Legacy is pretty comparable but the GT is the only one that really presents much competition. It's a little more expensive and wins in the handling and power departments but the TSX wins easily when it comes to the interior, comfort and standard amenities. I'd say both the 3 series and Legacy are entry level luxury sports sedans with the series being an appreciable step up from the other two, much in line with the price difference.

3) Exterior looks: It's grown on me. I used to think the TSX was a big step down in this department from the TL but my opinion has changed. I still like the side view of the TL better but from the front and rear, it's TSX ftw! I especially like the ass on the TSX. Mmmmm, bootylicious.

4) Other peoples impressions: I could care less honestly. I bought the car so I could enjoy it and it's served that purpose wonderfully. I do get random unsolicited compliments, especially from the ladies and really only when my car is squeaky clean.

5) Vs the Accord: When I test drove it, the main impression I took away was of a downgraded TL rather than anything like TSX. I liked the suspension setup and handling of the TSX so much more. The interior was no contest. I love the TSX interior.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Instructor

You think the TL is too big for you, then the 2008 Accord is too huge for you. Comparing current TSX and 08 Accord is like comparing two generations of Accord.
I'd say the new generation has improvements from the previous generation. 5 years difference of technology.

For the same price, I think 08 accord is better than current TSX.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by human668

You think the TL is too big for you, then the 2008 Accord is too huge for you. Comparing current TSX and 08 Accord is like comparing two generations of Accord.
I'd say the new generation has improvements from the previous generation. 5 years difference of technology.

For the same price, I think 08 accord is better than current TSX.
So basically then the 2009 Acura TSX should compare better with the 2008 Honda Accord. If the 2009 TSX doesn't challenge the Honda I don't see the point. People would be better off with an Accord which doesn't make sense to me. How can Acura be the luxury model if the Honda is better? You know?
Old 12-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
2) Competitors: The Saturns are garbage, no comparison at all. The Eclipse is a 2 door pseudo-sports car. I don't know what MSN is trying to say there. The 3 serious beats the TSX handily in pretty much everything but that's what should be expected for the price difference. The Legacy is pretty comparable but the GT is the only one that really presents much competition. It's a little more expensive and wins in the handling and power departments but the TSX wins easily when it comes to the interior, comfort and standard amenities. I'd say both the 3 series and Legacy are entry level luxury sports sedans with the series being an appreciable step up from the other two, much in line with the price difference.

3) Exterior looks: It's grown on me. I used to think the TSX was a big step down in this department from the TL but my opinion has changed. I still like the side view of the TL better but from the front and rear, it's TSX ftw! I especially like the ass on the TSX. Mmmmm, bootylicious.

4) Other peoples impressions: I could care less honestly. I bought the car so I could enjoy it and it's served that purpose wonderfully. I do get random unsolicited compliments, especially from the ladies and really only when my car is squeaky clean.

5) Vs the Accord: When I test drove it, the main impression I took away was of a downgraded TL rather than anything like TSX. I liked the suspension setup and handling of the TSX so much more. The interior was no contest. I love the TSX interior.
2.) Yeah I agree. I thought some of what they were calling competitors weren't comparable at all. Sure, the 3-series may be better in power but not in every area. I'd say the TSX is more reliable and has better interior but the 3-series wins in power.

3.) I agree with you on the looks. It has grown on me too but I just wish the exterior appearance made me more excited. I get a, "Uh it's pretty nice looking" when I look at it but no one is going to stop and look at it because it's not that stunning...I guess.

5.) Yeah I test drove an Accord and a TL and ended up with the TSX. The interior sold me as did the handling. The interior of the Accord (it was a 2007) didn't seem as lush and attractive even though they are very similar. Something about the interior of the TSX seemed better to me than the Accord. Plus I wanted to be in a luxury car, even if it is only entry-level. The handling did me over though. The TL seemed rough in acceleration and in handling.

I guess I wonder if there is a car that I'd enjoy more...and I don't know what it'd be. I think the TSX is perfect except perhaps the outside look of it which I think could be better. I hope the 2009 is a great step forward! But I just bought my 2007 so I doubt I'd be able to get a 2009, maybe 2010.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spent quite a bit of time test driving the '08 accord, but I wasn't too impressed with the styling - it's quite a bit bigger than the TSX and for me, coming from a '89 CRX, I'm not ready for that large of a car. I was very disappointed to see Honda move away from the touch screen navi on the new accords.. scrolling through A-Z via the new scroll wheel just ruined the usability when compared with the touch screens.. but they moved the navi further up on the dash (for better visibility I assume?) so I could see it being quite a stretch if it remained a touch screen. I'll say that the accord with a manual tranny was a surprise to drive - it didn't feel nearly as big from behind the wheel.

For me, the Subaru Legacy GT Limited was the closest competitor.. a blast to drive, but the interior just didn't seem very well refined, and the usability of the controls left much to be desired. I also thought the TSX's manual transmission was smoother than the Legacy. Oh, and one more thing...maybe I'm the only one that feels this way.. but the Legacy didn't offer much in the way of colors - gray, black and silver? I'm sick of seeing all of the "safe" colors and no real options outside of these being offered. Also, I wasn't very thrilled with the gas mileage on the Legacy.

All said and done, I settled in on a special order TSX (6MT w/Navi, ABP).. it's supposed to arrive in another month or two.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My final decision was also down to the Legacy and the TSX. My friend has the Legacy and we've taken on it on a few trips. I can conclusively say the TSX is FAR more comfortable. I get cramped up in the Legacy. That thing sure is fun to drive, but I hate splitting the gas. It only gets ~23 MPG highway. I averaged 36 MPG on the 600 mile trip I just returned from. Yay 6 gears, no turbo and a much lighter drive train.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Racer

I was going to get the 07 Accord V6. I ended up getting the TSX. It is not too small.
Best Regards,
Umair