Accord coupe (V6) taking over.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 12:35 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Accord coupe (V6) taking over.....

Having drooled over the TSX and then the 2003 AV6 EX Coupe....
At THIS point, I find myself drawn more to the Accord.
With performance mods readily available and and the power factor...the TSX seems to be second place now.

The price on the TSX is obviously going to be greater, but the thing is, if I opt for the TSX I might have to end up leasing rather than financing!
Now I would imagine the AV6 to be easier and more affordable to finance which is also a plus.
Most probably my the time that I would have my car would be in Mid August since we don't want to buy the car NOW if we go for vacation in a week.
So I still have time to think this over, and YES I have driven both and am torn.

TSX - stock HID's, better interior, Acura Prestige, more original, better warranty

AV6 - coupe, faster, more powerful, more mod friendly, more affordable.

I'm leaving out the cons seeing if anyone else could add to this.

Also, I would very much appreciate if people could give me an idea of what you guys finance the car for.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2003, 12:43 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Pros to TSX- it's a TSX.
Cons to Accord- it looks like an Accord.

To quote Motoring 2003's review of the TSX- "If youre wondering why you should buy a i-4 TSX over a more powerful, cheaper v-6 Accord- all I can tell you to do is just to drive it. After that, the reasons become incredibly clear."

J.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:46 AM
Cruisin'

Well.....kinda helps.
I try not to look at the cons because I have to realize that this IS my first car....
but at the same time; The TSX is the total package.
arghh....
thanks for the reply though.

keep them coming
Old 07-06-2003, 12:51 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

The TSX is my first car too... you have to make a choice.

Before the TSX, i drove my brothers integra... i hated the feeling of a two door car. the back is useless, and uncomfortable.... but thats my opinion.
The two door accord has many of the same faults of the CL... who wants a large two door coupe? Apparently, there is a huge market for small coupes (of course) but full size seem not to sell (here in Canada anyways)

Really, what clinched it for me was the TSX interior. I rationalized "what do i care about more, what i feel like in my car or what other people look at".... so i chose how i feel.

Granted, that doesnt really prove anything, because im not such a fan of the Accord's styling (granted, the coupe is MUCH better than the sedan)

Best of luck choosing.

J.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:00 AM
Cruisin'

You're right..

the TSX interior makes me feel like I'm driving a luxury car with a sporty feel to it.
I guess the AV6 is just all sporty......
Old 07-06-2003, 01:17 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

I say test drive both. Do your homework. See which car leaves you with the better impression. Test drive again if you have to.

If you're looking for a practical component to your car, then the TSX is probably the way to go. If you want more of a sporty look and feel, then the AV6 is the way to go, not to say that the TSX isn't sporty.

Bottom line, go for what you like and what you're most satisified with. They're both completely different car, so you're going to give up something no matter which way you go.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Audi Driving Snob

Re: Accord coupe (V6) taking over.....

don't forget the tsx will outhandle the accord pretty seriously...really improves the fun to drive factor.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:45 AM
Advanced

There isn't a bad choice to be made between these two, but I have a strong preference for the TSX over the Accord Coupe V6. Leaving the question of practicality aside, my main criterion for the car purchase is that it be fun to drive. For me, the "fun" factor has less to do with how fast you go and more to do with how well you go fast. For me, the TSX feels more lively, responsive and connected to the driver that the Accord. Driven back-to-back, the superior handling of the TSX is very apparent. The only advantage I could give to the Accord is straight-line acceleration. Evrything else about the driving experience goes to the TSX.

And up here in Canada, the two are very close in price - not so big a difference as to be decisive.

Good luck,

Jaeger

PS - bowersan - do you have a link to that Motoring 2003 review?
Old 07-06-2003, 08:15 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Re: Re: Accord coupe (V6) taking over.....

Originally posted by TinkySD
don't forget the tsx will outhandle the accord pretty seriously...
I would still LOVE to see some sort of substantial data to back up this claim...Sorry...just "SAYING" that does not work for me.
Post a LINK please...
Old 07-06-2003, 09:16 AM
Instructor

Re: Accord coupe (V6) taking over.....

Originally posted by PimpDaddyKABZ
Having drooled over the TSX and then the 2003 AV6 EX Coupe....
Acura prestige.....
You said it yourself. You will have an Acura TSX....OR
you will have just an Accord.
Who doesn't have an Accord? Like you said Mods are readily available... why? because everyone has an Accord!!
I had a similar situation. I was slightly torn. I just thought to myself how many of these have I seen, and how many Accords are out there? Considering there are only 15,000 TSX's allotted for the US this year, and the fact that the Accord has a "family" branding to it the choice became easy. that was before even going into interior details and driving it.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:30 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Re: Re: Accord coupe (V6) taking over.....

Originally posted by sheik28
[B]You said it yourself. You will have an Acura TSX....OR
you will have just an Accord.
But, going back on what I said, those in the know always ask me "how does it feel to be driving an Accord?"

essentially, the tsx IS an accord, anyway you look at it. Rip the tsx tag off, put on the accord logo, and poof, european/japanese recognize it as their own.

So I dont know how much you can use that logic. Its not the same as saying a Lexus ES is like a Camry.. the TSX IS AN ACCORD.

Not that I mind.

J.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Racer

US this year, and the fact that the Accord has a "family" branding to it the choice became easy. that was before even going into interior details and driving it.
The coupe is not branded as a "family" car and has many of the sporting "features" of a TSX. The EX coupe may not handle as well as the TSX but it is a powerful and slick car (especially with aero kit and spoiler) that is a fine choice for those looking for a sporty and more than decently performing coupe.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:40 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Originally posted by Jaeger

PS - bowersan - do you have a link to that Motoring 2003 review? [/B]
Sorry, its not up on their servers... but im sure eventually they will post it (or rebroadcast the episode)

Originally posted by Domn (on the other site)
He actually said "The Accord is a boulavard cruiser, while the TSX is a sports sedan of the first order" or something like that. I was actually quite surprised that Graham Fletcher was that impressed. He called the interior one of the best he's seen, he also noted that the Auto SS tranny was as quick as the manual's.

Well he drove an Auto so maybe he was off on that one.
The only complaint was back seat space, he loved every other aspect of the car.[/B]
Old 07-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Accord coupe (V6) taking over.....

Originally posted by bowersan
But, going back on what I said, those in the know always ask me "how does it feel to be driving an Accord?"

essentially, the tsx IS an accord, anyway you look at it. Rip the tsx tag off, put on the accord logo, and poof, european/japanese recognize it as their own.

So I dont know how much you can use that logic. Its not the same as saying a Lexus ES is like a Camry.. the TSX IS AN ACCORD.

Not that I mind.

J.
Yes, while the TSX is essentially the Euro/Japanese Accord, it nevertheless remains as a separate line of car here in the states. Either way you look at it, it is a different car from the US Accord. They do not share the same design. Just because it may share the same "name" overseas, it is different from the Accord here in many ways. That's what makes it different and unique.

People here will recognize which car is an Accord and which car is the TSX. In Europe and Japan, they only have one design as I understand.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:12 PM
GEEZER

keep on mind the thread is "2 Door V-6 Six Speed Accord / TSX

sorry... I like FAST!! And the new 2 door v6 6 speed is a ROCKET!!!!
Old 07-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 1killercls
keep on mind the thread is "2 Door V-6 Six Speed Accord / TSX

I must say ... I saw an AV6 coupe on the road the other day with a full body kit setup and I was like That thing looked awesome.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Racer

The Auto tranny is not too shabby either! Nice and smooth just like the CL.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:59 PM
Cruisin'

So the only thing now is price.
Down here we have Rick Case Honda/Acura which he claims is the BIGGEST car dealership in the world.
Now this guy has a huge selection so I'm hoping with his method of having to sell as many cars as he can, I'm bound to get a good deal.
Problem I am having with the dealers is finding a manual Accord or TSX
Old 07-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Re: Re: Re: Accord coupe (V6) taking over.....

I would still LOVE to see some sort of substantial data to back up this claim...Sorry...just "SAYING" that does not work for me.
Post a LINK please...
as soon as vtec.net is backup up ill link you to there impressions during their 6mt tsx/accord comparison. BRING IT!
Old 07-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by provench
I must say ... I saw an AV6 coupe on the road the other day with a full body kit setup and I was like That thing looked awesome.
I was set to get the Accord EXV6 myself till I saw a TSX. The Accord just didn't do it for me visually, not to mention there are like 3 in my apt. complex already, with more to follow I'm sure. I agree that it is a sweet piece though. I just want something a little more exclusive. I've only seen two TSX's on the road so far and that's what I want. Kinda pissed me off though that I saw them the same day.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:24 PM
GEEZER

Re: Re: Re: Re: Accord coupe (V6) taking over.....

BRING IT!
OMG..I am telling the MODS on you! Oh you are a MOD...nevermind...

NOTE: Still no Social D tour...what gives???
Old 07-06-2003, 03:26 PM
GEEZER

Originally posted by provench
You will get NO ARGUMENT from me on this one Prov.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:54 PM
Intermediate

just answer your question on the financing... I just got mine last Saturday and they gave 3.79% rate

hope that helps
Old 07-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accord coupe (V6) taking over.....

OMG..I am telling the MODS on you! Oh you are a MOD...nevermind...

NOTE: Still no Social D tour...what gives???
haven't seen them for like two years..sucks. I haven't been able to find any concrete data from the same mag/source about the slalom/skidpad numbers for the tsx/accord. They generally have info for one or not both. The reason i'm not driving an accord right now is because i'm not huge on the looks...the sedan especially. But it was in my final two cars so that tells you how great it is mechanically. it's probably good i don't have more power...i speed enough as is
Old 07-06-2003, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

I think both are fine cars with a common pedigree. I've owned two Accord coupes, but I have ordered the TSX.

What turned me off on the 2003 Accord coupe is the bulgy bloated styling and that buck-tooth front grille.

Normally, I would never have considered a 4-door, but the TSX reppresents to me what I consider trimmer more traditional "Accord styling". The Accords from the 1980's through the 1993 model year had fairly trim styling. Much to my dismay, from the 1994 model onwards, the Accord started looking bulgy and awkward. The Accord seemed to grow and become uglier. The 2003 was a major turn-off.

Accord has its advantages: Perhaps lower insurance rates, more parts (although the Accord-based TSX shares components) are available which should bring down the cost and availability of parts, fine handling, smoother ride overall; not apt to attract that much attention; available in a variety of trim levels in both AT and MT; proven reliability and reputation; some engines are optimized for regular unleaded.

Accord disadvantages include: that love-it or heave-it styling; 6 cylinder engine is bigger and heavier; single bench folding rear seat; very high theft rate.

TSX advantages include: Styling has shed those gross overhangs and rounded bulginess of the Accord; better interior/exterior color combinations; split folding rear seats.

TSX disadvantages include: much smaller volume of sales than Accord means that parts will be scarcer and more expensive--at least those parts that it does not share with the Accord; only available as 4-door; No choice of trim levels; smaller boot; perhaps a slightly rougher ride; engine is optimized for premium unleaded 91 octane gasoline.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:36 PM
GEEZER

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Accord coupe (V6) taking over.....

haven't seen them for like two years..sucks. I haven't been able to find any concrete data from the same mag/source about the slalom/skidpad numbers for the tsx/accord. They generally have info for one or not both. The reason i'm not driving an accord right now is because i'm not huge on the looks...the sedan especially. But it was in my final two cars so that tells you how great it is mechanically. it's probably good i don't have more power...i speed enough as is
Old 07-07-2003, 06:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I posted a true comparison at "the other place" with a 4 dr Accord I4. I find it very funny that people still have to compare an Accord V6 2dr with a TSX 4dr.

What do you think it says when the best Accord for comparison has to be one with 2 more cylinders, 2 less doors and a "good luck if you can find one" 6MT. Draw your own conclusions.

The TSX has many comparisons with the Accord on vtec.net, which you can read yourself. Basically, the TSX does out handle the Accord (braking and suspension), but only lacks the power in a straight line.

I wanted 4 doors, HIDs, 6MT, sporty suspension. My only compromise was having to have 2 less cylinders. I'm more than satisfied with the TSX, A LOT MORE than I expected.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:28 AM
Advanced

For me, I originally wanted the AV6 as well. But after rationalizing, I figured the TSX was the choice. Here's a simplified version of what I thought about:

1) Both cars have plenty of power for day to day driving (ie: enough power to get up to speed on the onramp, pass the toyotas, GMs, etc.).

2) Do I plan to race this car? For me personally, No. So, the power difference doesn't really matter to me.

3) The TSX is more expensive, but has more features that the AV6 doesn't have (ie: 2 extra doors without looking uncool, HID, solid interior, solid exterior (maybe a bit bland, but still better looking than the AV6), better handling, etc.). So the price advantage of the AV6 is not such an advantage afterall.

So, after all is said and done, the two big advantages of the AV6 (power and price) really do not benefit me at all. Since the TSX has its own advantages (interior, exterior, HID, handling, exclusivity, and just plain ol' fun to drive) I decided on the TSX.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by the_peel
For me, I originally wanted the AV6 as well. But after rationalizing, I figured the TSX was the choice. Here's a simplified version of what I thought about:

1) Both cars have plenty of power for day to day driving (ie: enough power to get up to speed on the onramp, pass the toyotas, GMs, etc.).

2) Do I plan to race this car? For me personally, No. So, the power difference doesn't really matter to me.

3) The TSX is more expensive, but has more features that the AV6 doesn't have (ie: 2 extra doors without looking uncool, HID, solid interior, solid exterior (maybe a bit bland, but still better looking than the AV6), better handling, etc.). So the price advantage of the AV6 is not such an advantage afterall.

So, after all is said and done, the two big advantages of the AV6 (power and price) really do not benefit me at all. Since the TSX has its own advantages (interior, exterior, HID, handling, exclusivity, and just plain ol' fun to drive) I decided on the TSX.

Hope this helps you out.
I'll second that..as a 2001 V-6 Accord owner (and Lover might I add) I have to agree with what most everyone else has said. This is a topic that has been beat to death, but it is clear why..the cars are very similar and from the same family. I, too, debated the issue. It reality, by the way, the V-6 Accord is closer in price than you think to the TSX. One major difference is that there are WAY more Accords out there. I went lenghths to make my Accord slightly different than the others (tint, spoiler, etc.). I have been extremely happy with my Accord and would buy one again in a heartbeat, BUT for the reasons posted above and for personal reasons (such as my using the car for business and needing a sedan to cart clients around), I am going for the TSX. I also do not like the body style on the new Accords, but I think that is very much personal preference. Good Luck..they are both great cars and I think you will be getting an exceptional automobile with both cars...
Old 07-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Cruisin'

Well.....TSX is back on top.

A friend of my dads told him to get me the TSX.....lets hope that helped a little.
Because I know the AV6 will be no problem to buy.
Its just getting the right trims for the AV6 (hopefully not a problem)
but also the TSX (no dealer has them in a 6MT)
Old 07-08-2003, 12:24 AM
More On

Originally posted by Brad
.....What turned me off on the 2003 Accord coupe is the bulgy bloated styling and that buck-tooth front grille.....the TSX reppresents to me what I consider trimmer more traditional "Accord styling". The Accords from the 1980's through the 1993 model year had fairly trim styling. Much to my dismay, from the 1994 model onwards, the Accord started looking bulgy and awkward. The Accord seemed to grow and become uglier....
BTW -- looks like Pimp has come to his senses!

Just kidding. You've got a great car either way, can't do much better at almost any price IMHO, even though I know almost everyone thinks I'm insane for saying that.

For me, the key difference is what Brad said. It keeps surprising me that this isn't significant to more people: THERE'S A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 183'' CAR AND A 190" CAR. Although in a way the Accord coupe is maybe the nearest comp to the TSX, on the other hand I don't see them as comparable cars because of the size difference. Different strokes/folks -- but to me, the TSX is a whiz kid, and the Accord (relatively speaking) is a boat.

Add in the fact that the TSX really is more of a luxury car, including that it just feels like it's a bit better put together -- and it's no contest.

Unless you like a boat better.

Can't believe that more people don't feel the size difference makes a significant difference. It's the main thing that makes the TSX and the (U.S.) Accord different cars.

P.S. (Edit) I was wrong about the length of the Accord coupe -- it's not 190", it's 187.6. The bigger issue here is the width, 71.3" -- to put that in perspective, it's more than the current TL (!!!!!), and exactly the same as the Lexus ES300.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:58 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Somewhere---Over the Ocean--in Japan...

...There is a Honda-Inspire web board all in Japanesse so I can't read it....

But, if I could--I'm sure their is a post in it with the title.

Which is better the Accord-Euro-R (TSX) or the Inspire (USDM Accord).

And somewhere on that post it says.

I posted a true comparison at "the other place" with an Inspire and an Accord. I find it very funny that people still have to compare an Accord with an Inspire.

What do you think it says when the best Accord for comparison has to be one with 2 less cylinders and a "good luck if you can find one" with Navi and Assimo Decals. Draw your own conclusions.

The Inspire has many comparisons with the Accord on japan.net, which you can read yourself. Basically, the Inspire does out power the Accord (engine), but only lacks the braking in a straight line.

I wanted 4 doors, HIDs, Modulo kit, sporty suspension. My only compromise was having to have 2 more cylinders and 3 that work part time. I'm more than satisfied with the Inspire, A LOT MORE than I expected.

...oh and the english translation would likely be alot worse.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by MrChad
Somewhere---Over the Ocean--in Japan...
That's the best post I've read all week!
Old 07-09-2003, 10:38 AM
Instructor

yeah but the lights on that inspire are sweet........
Old 07-09-2003, 03:32 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
The only reason to get the V6 accord coupe is if you get the 6spd. If you arent going to do that then dont even bother and get the TSX.