5.5 years with my TSX and here's my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.5 years with my TSX and here's my thoughts

I bought a brand new 2005 TSX AT in 2005. It now has 120k miles on it. It has been mechanically reliable for quite some time and the maintenance have always been quite low like a Honda.

Overall, the car delivers on its promise of being a entry-level luxury sedan with nice amenities at its time.

However, I am going to tell you why I may not purchase another Acura again because I don't believe the car lives up to it's "luxury" definition. There are quite a bit of issues with the car that I am certainly not pleased with.

First off, the brakes on these cars are just terrible. They don't stop for a dime and they seem to overheat and warp rotors a lot. This creates shimmy problems. I've gone through more front rotors than anyone on here (5 brands) including rotora, brembo, oem, as well as duralast. Currently, the cheapest one that I'm using, "Duralast" from autoznoe has lasted two years without much vibrations. The car is also nit-picky about brake pads, the OEM rotors warped in the first 18,000 miles. Acura wanted money to replace those. I finally chose Akebono ProACT which seems fine.

The ride on this car is both harsh and loud. Although there is nothing wrong with the shocks, many, many people on here experience when you go over bumps, your steering wheel jerks. This is extremely annoying and most of you have come to the conclusion that it is a design problem.

Another big major issue that i have is at 70k miles, I developed a front end clunking noise. The issue is extremely hard to locate and resolve because it occurs intermittently and randomly. It is not repeatable. It occurs when backing out everyday with the steering wheel turning or going over un-even pavement. My mechanics have looked at it many times and said nothing was wrong that they can visually see, and they have re-greased the wheel bearing which they said was also fine. Everything seemed to be fine from the steering rack, engine mounts, bushings, shocks, suspension. The problem has been reduced but as has not gone away.

At 120k miles, the car is fine, but I still don't think it is a "luxury" minded vehicle.

I will have to say, when it comes to the engine, honda is great at what it does. The engine is fine. But where the car lacks, is the quality in its chassis, suspension, brake, and steering mechanics. This is where companies like BMW excel. The TSX has poor braking system, poor steering mechanics as it can't deal well with bumps, and clunks and stuff that are extremely hard to isolate. Problems like this makes me question whether or not it is safe to drive because I don't want some linkage to snap on me.

The irony is, i heard the 2nd gen TSX has similar issues including poor brakes too.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:53 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
my 06 6MT tsx also has 120,000+miles but it still has the original brakes. I know a rarity but I do mostly highway driving which does help. I love the car except for the lousy paint.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
my 06 6MT tsx also has 120,000+miles but it still has the original brakes. I know a rarity but I do mostly highway driving which does help. I love the car except for the lousy paint.
yes the paint is lousy too. the front end is all scuffed. my new bmw paint holds up much better.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
The harsher ride I can agree with. The refresh 1G TSX had an ideal ride/handling combination in my opinion.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:51 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by greendestiny
yes the paint is lousy too. the front end is all scuffed. my new bmw paint holds up much better.
Both of our hyundai's-a 05 elantra with over 100K miles and our '11 sonata (traded the elantra for it) with almost 14K had or have better paint. As far as the tsx goes, we drove it on 3 cross country road trips. It was a very comfortable riding car for long distance travel.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not surprised you feel it's not a luxury car because the car is really an overseas Honda Accord underneath the Acura badging.
Honda basically did some additional suspension tuning, refined the interior by tacking on some luxury pieces and sold it under their luxury marque.

That's not to say it's a bad car, but there's only so much you can do with a FWD chassis that has its roots in a $20k car.
But for the money, it was probably one of the best buys at the time.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
I bought a brand new 2005 TSX AT in 2005. It now has 120k miles on it. It has been mechanically reliable for quite some time and the maintenance have always been quite low like a Honda.

Overall, the car delivers on its promise of being a entry-level luxury sedan with nice amenities at its time.

However, I am going to tell you why I may not purchase another Acura again because I don't believe the car lives up to it's "luxury" definition. There are quite a bit of issues with the car that I am certainly not pleased with.

First off, the brakes on these cars are just terrible. They don't stop for a dime and they seem to overheat and warp rotors a lot. This creates shimmy problems. I've gone through more front rotors than anyone on here (5 brands) including rotora, brembo, oem, as well as duralast. Currently, the cheapest one that I'm using, "Duralast" from autoznoe has lasted two years without much vibrations. The car is also nit-picky about brake pads, the OEM rotors warped in the first 18,000 miles. Acura wanted money to replace those. I finally chose Akebono ProACT which seems fine.

The ride on this car is both harsh and loud. Although there is nothing wrong with the shocks, many, many people on here experience when you go over bumps, your steering wheel jerks. This is extremely annoying and most of you have come to the conclusion that it is a design problem.

Another big major issue that i have is at 70k miles, I developed a front end clunking noise. The issue is extremely hard to locate and resolve because it occurs intermittently and randomly. It is not repeatable. It occurs when backing out everyday with the steering wheel turning or going over un-even pavement. My mechanics have looked at it many times and said nothing was wrong that they can visually see, and they have re-greased the wheel bearing which they said was also fine. Everything seemed to be fine from the steering rack, engine mounts, bushings, shocks, suspension. The problem has been reduced but as has not gone away.

At 120k miles, the car is fine, but I still don't think it is a "luxury" minded vehicle.

I will have to say, when it comes to the engine, honda is great at what it does. The engine is fine. But where the car lacks, is the quality in its chassis, suspension, brake, and steering mechanics. This is where companies like BMW excel. The TSX has poor braking system, poor steering mechanics as it can't deal well with bumps, and clunks and stuff that are extremely hard to isolate. Problems like this makes me question whether or not it is safe to drive because I don't want some linkage to snap on me.

The irony is, i heard the 2nd gen TSX has similar issues including poor brakes too.
I too have an 05 (w/ 138K miles) and I suppose I can't disagree with your comments concerning the lack of "luxury". I guess maybe the difference in my opinion is that I don't really care about the label. At the time (and to some degree, still) the car really had no competition. The TSX offered Honda reliability (and resale) with higher end standard equipment items like the moonroof, CD changer, HID headlights, leather, power seats, and more for a very reasonable price (comparably equipped Audi, BMW, or Benz model models were (and still are) around $10K more). Toyota (née Lexus), Nissan, and Infiniti really don't offer a model with the TSX's level of equipment with 4 cylinder economy. And though I've read numerous complaints about the paint, my experience has been quite different. Thanks to the clear bra and perhaps some luck, the paint on my car (silver by the way), still cleans up like new (well.... almost). Complaints here about the brakes are many, and I agree that they don't compare to the brakes on my Z4, TT, or my S4, but that said.... I've replaced the pads and the rotors once and they're still going strong (I step on the pedal and they stop the car). If you've had to replace the rotors 5 times, and have used different replacement rotors each time, then, well...... I wonder if there's a problem with something besides just the brakes (are you sure the rotors were actually warped? Pad buildup presents the same symptoms and sadly, though replacing the rotors also cures it, just cleaning them off may have eliminated your "shimmy")(and the TSX brakes have somewhat of a reputation for pad buildup). I'll admit that I've fallen into the trap (with some of my comments here) of comparing the TSX to some of the entry level German models. I've always maintained that the TSX is really not in the same market as the A4, or the BMW 3 series, (or even the 1 series), or the C series Benz, and I don't think it's really fair to compare them. That said, back in 05 the TSX was allot of car for the money (and the 4 cylinder model still is). Ironically, I actually agree with you about buying another one (though for different reasons). But that's one of the great things about having so many choices here. I'm sure we'll each find something that satisfies our wants and needs.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Sigh....another day....another comparison between the TSX and other cars costing ten grand more.

Up next, we compare Outback Steak House to Peter Luger.

If you want more "luxury" on par with BMW....then put down BMW-type coin.

And not for nothing....if you had to go through FIVE sets of rotors in 120K miles? Thats YOUR super-aggro driving habits at fault....not the car.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
I too have an 05 (w/ 138K miles) and I suppose I can't disagree with your comments concerning the lack of "luxury". I guess maybe the difference in my opinion is that I don't really care about the label. ..... I'll admit that I've fallen into the trap (with some of my comments here) of comparing the TSX to some of the entry level German models. I've always maintained that the TSX is really not in the same market as the A4, or the BMW 3 series, (or even the 1 series), or the C series Benz, and I don't think it's really fair to compare them. That said, back in 05 the TSX was allot of car for the money (and the 4 cylinder model still is). Ironically, I actually agree with you about buying another one (though for different reasons). But that's one of the great things about having so many choices here. I'm sure we'll each find something that satisfies our wants and needs.
Well said. I never thought the luxury label fit...it never fit the TSX. There is no exact definition for this car, because it is (or was) at such a cross-section of cars.

To me, luxury is, be definition, in excess of what is necessary. To that end, Acura, at its very core, isn't luxury. And why should it be? 'Precision-crafted performance' was its original tagline, which I think the TSX hits pretty succinctly. And 'precision', doesn't mean overwrought, overengineered, overpriced, whatever. It hit the nail on the head for me, and 5 years, and 110k miles in, it still does.

I think its one of the best examples of an Acura from the '00s.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Well said. I never thought the luxury label fit...it never fit the TSX. There is no exact definition for this car, because it is (or was) at such a cross-section of cars.

To me, luxury is, be definition, in excess of what is necessary. To that end, Acura, at its very core, isn't luxury. And why should it be? 'Precision-crafted performance' was its original tagline, which I think the TSX hits pretty succinctly. And 'precision', doesn't mean overwrought, overengineered, overpriced, whatever. It hit the nail on the head for me, and 5 years, and 110k miles in, it still does.

I think its one of the best examples of an Acura from the '00s.
Bingo. The TSX was never built, priced, nor marketed as a "luxury" car.

This is one of the strangest phenomena of this forum...people pining for the TSX to be more luxurious....sportier...faster....have AWD, etc....and all while keeping the price to about 30K, of course! lol. Well guess what? You put all those things in a TSX? Its not a TSX anymore!

Last edited by RkFast; 03-22-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

I think you guys are making the assumption that BMW's and Mercs have better reliability than Acura. It is not true. BMW and Audi have terrible reliability for their price range and market.

I'm not favoring Acura but you can't assume the grass is greener because it is actually much more yellow.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have many of the same problems the OP has stated. We all knew the quality of parts going into the interior when we bought these cars (My 06' has the cheapest/roughest leather I have ever felt in any car) Nonetheless, I think we all knew that we weren't getting a true luxury car in the $30k msrp level. It's just not reasonable to expect higher quality interior parts to come in at that pricepoint. Nonetheless, I'm surprised at just how much plastic is in the interior. And it's the kind that scratches so very easily. Other than that, the engine and suspension has been rock solid (except for the harsh ride
Old 03-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
"First off, the brakes on these cars are just terrible. They don't stop for a dime and they seem to overheat and warp rotors a lot. This creates shimmy problems. I've gone through more front rotors than anyone on here (5 brands) including rotora, brembo, oem, as well as duralast. Currently, the cheapest one that I'm using, "Duralast" from autoznoe has lasted two years without much vibrations. The car is also nit-picky about brake pads, the OEM rotors warped in the first 18,000 miles. Acura wanted money to replace those. I finally chose Akebono ProACT which seems fine"

Changing brake pads to after market pads has made a world of difference to a lot of people. I will give you that the stock brake pads are not the best.

"The ride on this car is both harsh and loud. Although there is nothing wrong with the shocks, many, many people on here experience when you go over bumps, your steering wheel jerks. This is extremely annoying and most of you have come to the conclusion that it is a design problem."

The ride seems fine. It is not a cadillac nor was i expecting a cadillac ride. It is a sport suspension. You are going to hear and feel things on the road. Also, i have not experienced the wheel jerk you describe when going over bumps. When you say bumps, are you talking about speed bumps or potholes or both?

"Another big major issue that i have is at 70k miles, I developed a front end clunking noise. The issue is extremely hard to locate and resolve because it occurs intermittently and randomly. It is not repeatable. It occurs when backing out everyday with the steering wheel turning or going over un-even pavement. My mechanics have looked at it many times and said nothing was wrong that they can visually see, and they have re-greased the wheel bearing which they said was also fine. Everything seemed to be fine from the steering rack, engine mounts, bushings, shocks, suspension. The problem has been reduced but as has not gone away"

I have not experienced this clunking noise. It only happens when you go in reverse? never when going forward?

"At 120k miles, the car is fine, but I still don't think it is a "luxury" minded vehicle."

In my eyes, the car is a luxury vehicle. Sunroof, HID headlights, power seats, power windows and door locks, leather interior, satellite radio plus GPS navigation equals luxury to me. Throw in an absolutely stunning instrument panel and it seals the deal. Maybe my criteria for what constitutes a luxury car is different than that of other people.

"But where the car lacks, is the quality in its chassis, suspension, brake, and steering mechanics. This is where companies like BMW excel. The TSX has poor braking system, poor steering mechanics as it can't deal well with bumps, and clunks and stuff that are extremely hard to isolate. Problems like this makes me question whether or not it is safe to drive because I don't want some linkage to snap on me"

I have to disagree here. In my opinion, The TSX has a fantastic chasis, suspension and steering mechanics. I have never had a car in the past that handles this well. The car feels extremely confident and planted on the pavement. Even when it is raining hard or the pavement is wet, i feel extremely secure driving the TSX.

Last edited by Miamicarfan; 03-22-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Pro

Simba:

What do you mean by the quote below?

"Ironically, I actually agree with you about buying another one (though for different reasons). "

You would not buy another TSX if for some reason you could not drive your current TSX anymore?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:26 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
Both of our hyundai's-a 05 elantra with over 100K miles and our '11 sonata (traded the elantra for it) with almost 14K had or have better paint. As far as the tsx goes, we drove it on 3 cross country road trips. It was a very comfortable riding car for long distance travel.
additional info: the 05 silver elantra, bought new 11/04, was braless, not garage kept, but still looked excellent. I do not think I should have to get a clear bra to keep the tsx looking good if The elantra did not need one.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Racer

It seems that I read Acura addressed the brakes in the 2006 refresh. NJ2PA2NC has a 2006 with over 120,000 miles and is still on her original brake pads, with no rotor warping. I have a 2006, (although with only 38,000 miles), but it still has the original pads, no rotor problems...and my dealer just inspected them and said they look brand new, with hardly any wear. Now, I think some of this has to do with driving style. I don't accelerate briskly to the next light and then slam on the brakes. I drive fast on the open road only. I don't tailgate and constantly use my brakes.

As for the ride and suspension, like Car & Driver said, "the 1G TSX is one of the best handling front drive sport sedans ever made". I think the balance of ride and handling is nearly ideal. Rear wheel drive is a deal breaker; if I lived in California, I would get a rear wheel drive car. I need front wheel drive for the winter. -- And sorry, but I'll quote Car & Driver again: Any German car with all wheel drive, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, pays a steep price in nimbleness and handling with the weight it adds. i.e., there's a huge difference between a 335i and a 335xi.

With all that said, the reliability issue reigns supreme for me. I realize there are exceptions to everything. But I have read Consumer Reports for years and have seen the reliability and repair surveys...I have also owned Mercedes and Acura cars, have several friends with BMWs and Audis. 9 times out of 10, an Acura has a much better chance of getting to 120,00 miles without any problems.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 03-23-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
the 2G is a lot more wallowy and boat like. call it luxury if thats how you define it, but we lost alot of sport in translation. Our brakes are actually fine, the problem was the defective brake pads that honda released in 09, once you get the updated pads its no big deal. That being said the brakes also wont hold up for track duty every other day if thats what you are using the car for...
Old 03-24-2011, 03:23 AM
Instructor

I’ve put nearly 102,000 miles on my ’04 since buying it new in October of 2003, and my opinion of the brakes has never changed: they are the car’s biggest weakness in the performance department. I went aftermarket (F: Powerslot rotors and Akebono pads / R: Brembo rotors and Akebono pads) when the original pads and rotors needed replacing, and if there was any improvement in braking, it was only slight. Simply put, I’ve always thought the car doesn’t slow as much as it should for a given amount of pressure on the brake pedal.
I share the almost-universal view that the paint chips much too easily. And I’ve always wished that there was less hard plastic in the interior. As hard plastic goes, what you find in the TSX looks pretty good, but it’s a tactile turn-off. More soft-touch surfaces would have given the car more of a high-quality feel. Sure, Honda/Acura probably would have had to price the TSX higher if less hard plastic was used, but I wouldn’t have minded paying a few hundred dollars extra (purely hypothetical figure) for a “richer” interior.
Despite these “complaints,” I’ve never regretted buying the TSX. My level of satisfaction has been high right from the start. Overall, I'd give it an A-minus. And you could probably talk me into deleting the minus.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
Simba:

What do you mean by the quote below?

"Ironically, I actually agree with you about buying another one (though for different reasons). "

You would not buy another TSX if for some reason you could not drive your current TSX anymore?
I should have qualified that statement and said I wouldn't buy another new one (now anyway). In my opinion, Acura now builds the best Buicks coming out of Japan, especially with the TSX (this statement drives the 2nd gen crowd nuts). A little too big, not quite enough power, too heavy (the price for all that new "refinement"). The wagon looks nice, but a power tailgate? Come on...... I'd happily give up those 50 lbs for....... 50 less pounds.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Pro

I should have qualified that statement and said I wouldn't buy another new one (now anyway). In my opinion, Acura now builds the best Buicks coming out of Japan, especially with the TSX (this statement drives the 2nd gen crowd nuts). A little too big, not quite enough power, too heavy (the price for all that new "refinement"). The wagon looks nice, but a power tailgate? Come on...... I'd happily give up those 50 lbs for....... 50 less pounds.
Ok. Now that makes a lot more sense to me now. I also would not buy a new one if for some reason I could not drive my current TSX anymore. The new second generation just does not appeal to me. When I learned that the second generation had gone to electric steering instead of conventional steering with a power steering pump and fluid, it was a big letdown. Many people expressed my reservations about the 2nd generation's steering and handling characteristics compared to the first generation.

I would instead consider buying a used 2004-2008 TSX if I had to replace my car. I just like the car that much.

Last edited by Miamicarfan; 03-24-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Brakes!

I have a 7 year old Element with original brakes still, how can you be going through so many rotors. Make sure you don't apply water on hot brakes that is a major factor of warping rotors during washing... I also owned a 97 Delsol Vtec and owned it for seven years and never had to brakes... I think honda makes one of the best lasting brakes in the industry.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by foreverhonda
I have a 7 year old Element with original brakes still, how can you be going through so many rotors. Make sure you don't apply water on hot brakes that is a major factor of warping rotors during washing... I also owned a 97 Delsol Vtec and owned it for seven years and never had to brakes... I think honda makes one of the best lasting brakes in the industry.
The brake controversy continues to go on....... some have better luck than others. It's been my experience that the longevity of the brakes on the TSX, like most if not all cars, is directly tied to the type of driving that accounts for those miles. I got long life out the OE brakes on my 05, and my wife's 07 is still on the original front pads (and 4 rotors) with around 110K miles on her car. The key? All highway miles (and I mean all..... like 95%). There seems to be plenty of evidence that the TSX can use up brakes pads (especially rear pads) pretty fast. I assume this is due to a large percentage of urban and/or around town driving. Is it a weak spot? Yeah, probably, but no car is perfect. And they're good enough for most.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I think the more accurate criticism of the brakes is that they are not up to par for agressive or "sporty" driving. But I think a lot of people (including myself) go a long ways just fine. But if you put any demands on the brake system, then I think you see pre-mature wear.

And the car is noisy, but for about $200 and a long Saturday I knocked -6db off the road noise (with some Dynamat and QuiteCar), and better tires took care of another -4-5db. I've no complaint about the road noise now. But yes, stock is noisy.

But I agree with the others here is that "luxury" defined as excess is not what the TSX aims for. In the world of Acura/Lexus/Infiniti/BMW/Audi (etc.) I veiw the TSX towards the bottom of the "luxury" list, but I'd put near the top if the offerings were ranked by value for the dollar.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The brake controversy continues to go on....... some have better luck than others. It's been my experience that the longevity of the brakes on the TSX, like most if not all cars, is directly tied to the type of driving that accounts for those miles. I got long life out the OE brakes on my 05, and my wife's 07 is still on the original front pads (and 4 rotors) with around 110K miles on her car. The key? All highway miles (and I mean all..... like 95%). There seems to be plenty of evidence that the TSX can use up brakes pads (especially rear pads) pretty fast. I assume this is due to a large percentage of urban and/or around town driving. Is it a weak spot? Yeah, probably, but no car is perfect. And they're good enough for most.
I agree with Simba91102 - definitely the type of driving done:
freeway miles - longer lasting brake pad life.
Around town - very short brake pad life.

A gear head I work with stated that Honda has had this issue with their other cars - the rear brake pads are too small to dissipate the heat build up of the braking and therefore wear faster. I believe he had personal experience with an Accord v6 coup - I believe it was '02. I can't say for sure, but given the TSX rear brakes, I'll buy it.

One can always run with some brake pads made of harder material (e.g., ceramic), like Hawks and you'll get longer life but at the expense (eventually) of the rotors. I did that and haven't come close to needing new rotors, but I suppose I will eventually, and when I do, I'll upgrade to something better that can handle the brake pads made of harder material.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:06 AM
Racer

I agree with the discussion about driving style having an effect on brake wear. (In fact, I initially brought it up in post #16, above.)

I'll add one more thing regarding the excessive rear brake wear in the TSX and recent Accords...it has been well-documented.

In the past most cars, especially front-drive cars, had their front brakes wear out first because of the added weight up front. (And that is why many cars had superior disc brakes in front and inferior drum brakes in the rear.) But these days, if you see premature rear brake wear you can bet it is a car with VSA.

Several car magazines have studied this and it has been shown that when you have stability control engaged, even the simple act of going around a corner utilizes the rear brakes to some extent, in an effort to keep the angle close to perfect. If you go around a corner fast, it really engages the rear brakes. (Actually one of them more than the other.)

Csaba Csere, the former Editor in chief of Car & Driver suggested that except for inclement weather, one should switch off VSA...not only for reducing brake wear but for more predictable handling -- especially during spirited driving.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 03-25-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm gonna toss in my two cents here. First, where I feel gypped is with the lack of satellite radio in the first-year models. My friend has an '04 American Accord, and she has XM radio.

I am not gonna say my car has been perfect, and I can't disagree 100% with what has been said here. We also have an '03 TL in our household, and the audio system, the leather, the smoother and quieter ride, the viscerally satisfying engine noise when you press "Go" (the gas pedal) really make my TSX seem a little "tinny" sometimes. At the same time, when my fiancee and I have to trade cars (I'm working on the TL, for example), she says she always forgets the TSX is a four-banger. She feels the response is on par with her V6.. Annnndddd, when I have to drive the TL, while I enjoy the hulk of an engine and smooth ride, I forget that it's fast but not agile. I can't tell you how many times I've been punished (and panicked) by the rebound/body sway from a turn or maneuver I wouldn't think twice about in the TSX. I used to think, in the first three years or so of owning the TSX that my next car was gonna be an RL. I wanted marshmallow softness. I wanted my butt to cradled in über-creamy, baby-cow leather. It turns out that I will probably never be happy in that. Though I'm not a fan of all the road noise, I know the TSX is agile enough to make emergency maneuvers and stop on a dime when I'm avoiding the stupid people who forget they're supposed to be DRIVING. (We have LOTS of them in Houston.)

I have had the brake/rotor problem twice, both times replaced/repaired by Acura. In their defense, the two times my rotors warped, I braked from 100+mph ( What?), and I felt those f--kers warp on the spot. I've not had the oil consumption, HVAC console lights, A-pillar rattle, A/C failure. I have had the PS hose crack (recalled/repaired), a wheel hub go bad, and the rear camber issue, as well as the driver's seat shift during hard braking. I have not had the paint issue at all--I'm not even sure what you're referring to. I do have a light paint color though. When I had my black German car--a topic I'll touch on next--it had swirls all the time.

My German Experience
The reason we have two Acuras in the family is because we used to have two Volkswagens. When my sweetie and I met, I owned a 2001 VW New Beetle, GLX 1.8T. When the Bug and I met, it was love at first sight. Being raised by a dad who owned a Karman Ghia, a Scirocco, Super Beetle, Squareback, Sport Truck, and two other Beetles, I was prone to liking German cars.

The New Beetle had this cool little spoiler that popped up at 90mph. The saddle (ivory) leather was creamy; the engine quick, the handling sublime. The dash would display a little snowflake icon if it was cold enough to for frost on the roads. It even had side mirror defrost, unlike my TSX. Ahhh... So, my fiancee was persuaded to get herself a nice, top-of-the-line, $27k Passat. It had every option (nav. wasn't available at the time). It was even more gorgeous and luxurious. Those Germans sure do make pretty cars. Ahhh.... Then the plagues rained down from heaven. With my just over 2-year-old, $20k Bug (warranty was only 2/24k--should've been a clue), I had: airbag sensor fail, 02 sensor fail, glove box lock/latch break off (I held it closed with a bungee), console/armrest cover break (held it closed with a fat rubber band), and two cracked windshields, due to the design. Oh and my switchblade key would snap shut. The spoiler stopped coming out automatically, and then one late evening, the DRLs and regular headlights wouldn't come on, the horn, A/C, and wipers wouldn't work, the fog lights neither. I had to drive 35 miles home home with my brights on--but only one bright, since one was out. It turns out it was something melted in the ignition, a problem so common that for diagnosis, all I had to do was call a service advisor at a dealership and tell him the symptoms, and he knew. "We see that all the time." Fan-tastic.

Meanwhile, the Passat owner, having just passed the 1-year ownership mark and barely clicked off 12k on the odo., was driving full speed on the freeway when the engine just stopped and all the lights came one. Dead. I can't recall--it was either the fuel or the water pump that had died. Just like that. The car was repaired under warranty, but she was understandably nervous. The kicker came, though, when she tried to buy wiper refills. I'm not making this up. They were north of $100. Yes, for the refills. She decided to sell it. I told her, "Get a Honda. They're extremely reliable, you will love it!" That's when she got the TL--for $4k less than the Passat. She has owned it for 7 years now, sans major problems.

I, on the other hand, couldn't afford to trade the Bug, but I used to spend hours searching used car sites and Edmunds, etc., for reviews of cars. Then I had an awful wreck that messed up my neck muscles for more than a year. I was T-boned, but the side airbag didn't deploy (different sensor than the one that had failed), and the rear axle bent underneath the car and punctured the fuel tank. Nice. I will say this, though: I do believe the metal door protected me from being badly injured. I had a bruise on my thigh from where the other car had pushed in the door (better that I be in good shape when the fuel tank blows).

In Conclusion
So.... Having said all that, I am saying this: Our cars are not perfect, and it is very satisfying to the senses when you sit inside or drive a BMW, a Carrera, a Benz, or a Lexus. And I'm sure they don't completely suck, or they'd have the rep. that Jaguars used to in the 80s. The joke was you had to buy two: one to drive while the other was in the shop. But... I will never own a German car again. It wasn't just those two stories that shaped that view, but they sure didn't hurt things. You want frustration while doing an DIY, try it on a German car. Better yet, try finding parts for your German car. And if you think our parts are $$$, try to buy something for a Benz or a Bimmer. And as far as Lexus goes--the only other luxury brand I'd considered until recently--do you really want to deal with the brake/accelerator/could die issue in a $50k car? I don't. And, as previously pointed out, these cars are all at least $10k more than ours.

Hondas are Good
Honda is quite clever in how they do design and engineer things. And the more I take apart and work on our cars, the more I'm convinced of it. My neighbor has a G35. He saw me changing my oil one day, and thought he'd do his car. He borrowed some stuff from me to do it. Few days later, he returns the stuff, and he's pissed. Turns out that on the Infiniti, you have to remove the entire lower engine cover (also plastic) just to reach the oil pan. He said it took him four or five hours and he broke all the clips.

Yes, there is a lot of plastic inside. Most cars have that kind of plastic/clips action on the interior. Paying $27k for a car with plastic stings much less than if I had paid twice that and still gotten plastic. Just my long-winded :twocents:...
Old 03-26-2011, 03:26 AM
Racer

I don't care what you guys think that Acura is a great car or not but the car is pretty piss-poor in terms of fixing problems and learning from their mistakes.

My main issue is the damn clunking noises that can not be resolved and this whole thread proves it is not an isolated incident and most likely a design issue.

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/slight-tapping-clunk-when-doing-slow-tight-turns-674214/

What is worst is that the 2nd gen TSX are ALSO having clunk problems in this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-problems-fixes-145/2010-tsx-v6-clunk-during-start-up-761719/

Yes, my 2 year old BMW 335i has been fairly mechanically flawless and only time will tell but I do not hear BMW owners complaining much about mechanical issues in the 1st 5 years like clunking noises. A clunk is just embarrassing as it sounds like the car is falling apart.

Secondly, like I said, my opinion was that the stock TSX 1st gen suspension is also not that great. The ride is firm and harsh. Even the 2nd gen owners are complaining as well and they used a reviewer's comment as well.

My TAKE on it is that, while BMWs and Lexus may be more expensive and problematic but they seem to improve on their designs and continue to be industry leaders. While Acura, is on the piss-poor list of making updates. It seems like Acura likes to just change the interior and exterior styling, but not address and re-design the mechanic issues with their cars like the TSX.

This thread talks about poor/jumpy suspension with 2nd gen TSX: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-tires-wheels-suspension-300/jumpy-suspension-just-horrible-722760/

lastly, don't get me started on brake problems, like I am saying, the 2nd gen TSX ALSO has brake problems!! Rotors warping: http://www..com/forums/2nd-gen-probl...ke-issues.html

I don't care what you guys think, saying Hondas have great brakes. These are the cars i've owned:

1986 Honda Civic
1996 Honda Civic EX
2000 Toyota Camry LE
2005 Acura TSX
2009 BMW 335i

NONE of the cars above have POOR braking/rotor warping issues aside from the TSX, and none of the cars have clunking noises within the 1st 5 years. Acura just doesn't seem to fix their problems and I drive all my cars moderately. I drive the Camry and Civic fairly hard and brake very hard, in the 9 years I owned the Camry, the rotors were replaced once, as well as the Civic. Neither of these cars ever experienced suspension or clunking issues.

Last edited by greendestiny; 03-26-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Old Guy

I don't care what you guys think that Acura is a great car or not but the car is pretty piss-poor in terms of fixing problems and learning from their mistakes.

My main issue is the damn clunking noises that can not be resolved and this whole thread proves it is not an isolated incident and most likely a design issue.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674214

What is worst is that the 2nd gen TSX are ALSO having clunk problems in this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761719
I don't think anyone here is really discounting your opinions or your experience with the car. We all have had various issues, some more serious than others. I've had good luck, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. It's too bad that your experience has been different. So what to do...... vote with your wallet as they say and buy something else (oh..... you did). Hopefully you'll be happier with your BMW 4 or 5 years from now and you'll be able to confirm the old adage that "you get what you pay for". A sad irony may be that being a frequent visitor to roadfly.com (to the uninitiated, that's a popular BMW enthusiast site)(I've had a few of those too), from what I've read, you may find plenty of complaints there too about various deficiencies in 3 series BMW's.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Racer

I'll go along with what Simba said. No one can discount another poster's opinions or experience. If you say you've had clunking noises, I'll believe you. (Same goes for the warped rotors).

But that goes both ways. Honestly, I've never had either, and I know of a dozen people with TSX's who have not, ever. Your experience is not going to get me to agree with you that there is an inherent design flaw in every TSX. Hope you can see that.

You mention that you had a 2000 Camry with no brake or rotor problems. Well, I have a neighbor with that same car -- and she did have warped rotors. (She's 70 years old; i.e., not a street racer.)

Showing us a thread where people have problems is not proof of a design flaw. It shows that people with problems know how to find each other online...just like the many disgruntled BMW owners at places like BMWProblems.com, (or Roadfly.com, as Simba pointed out.)

The sign of a major problem, or a design flaw is when you see thousands of owners reporting such an issue...(It shows up in Consumer Reports), and if it is widespread, it becomes a manufacturer recall. Volkswagen was at the bottom of the reliability ratings recently, (along with Audi), based upon such reported problems.

I've been watching these ratings for 20 years, and I have yet to see any Japanese manufacturer there, certainly not Honda/Acura, who is consistently near the top.

Again, I'm certain you have had the problems you detailed. But with all due respect, your issues do not necessitate others who have not had those problems to agree with you about a design flaw.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 03-26-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I don't care what you guys think...
I don't care what you guys think...
So you are posting on a discussion board....why?
Not arguing you're disappointed with your TSX - you're entitled to your opinion. Clearly Acrua won't be getting your money next time around.
I've owned a lot of cars. None of them are perfect. IMO the TSX, even with its flaws, is still an outstanding car.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
@greendestiny: I don't think we're trying to change your mind so much as give you other perspectives to consider, since a singular experience does not define a brand. You say you've had "too many" problems with your Acura and it's not luxurious enough for the $25-27k price. Well, no one can argue your perceptions. All we can do is share facts and anecdotal experiences. I have owned my car for six years. I drive like a friggin' maniac (speeding, fast starts, high RPMs, using sport shift 75% of the time--I am intimately familiar with my VTEC), and my TSX was a dealer loaner car w/ 22,000 miles before I bought it. I think we all know how "well" people treat loaner cars. The brakes pissed me off, to be sure. But like I said, I was slamming my brakes to stop from 100+ mph both times. In my Beetle, I slammed the brakes once to avoid a collision, and the brake pad cracked. I spun 360º across four lanes of a freeway. It's a damned miracle I didn't hit anything. VW wouldn't cover it, either (dicks), even with my extended warranty.

Replacing the rear hub assembly and the power steering hose on the TSX seemed ridiculous. I just figured it was the abuse doled out by all the dealership customers. Yes, the ride is stiff and harsh, and that's due to two things. First, the tires (some people swear by them, others hate them). I switched to Yokohamas, and the ride is quieter. Also, you can change to an H-rated, touring tire. That will smooth things out noticeably--at the expense of some handling. Second is the suspension, which was designed for handling and performance as opposed to road-smoothing softness.

I have owned a wide variety of cars in my relatively young life. Those experiences have taught me that if I want cushy softness, I sacrifice agility and maneuverability. My Ford Probe V6 GT, my Honda Civic EX, and my VW New Beetle all handled really well (the Probe was actually the best, perhaps even a little better than the TSX due to its superlatively aerodynamic shape and low ground clearance). And all of these cars had very bumpy rides. I even had the sublime privilege of getting to drive a six-speed, Porsche Carrera 2--the owner was invited to Germany by Porsche, where he took delivery of it. I almost had a cargasm driving that thing. The quickness was unbelievable! It handled like nothing I've ever experienced--I swear those tires were glued to the ground. Harbor no illusions, though--that ride was probably more harsh than my TSX's is. I don't know the physics of it exactly, but I know that if you want a responsive suspension and a fast engine, it then becomes impossible to also have a supple ride.

What it seems like you're saying, insofar as ride and comfort quality, is that you want a sports sedan with a touring sedan ride--but without sacrificing all the features of the sport sedan. I'm not sure that is possible. You have to choose which end of the continuum between comfortable and nimble you wish to be closer to. The TSX is much closer to the nimble/quick end of the spectrum. That doesn't make it an inferior car so much one that isn't your preference--the same way an RL or Cadillac is not my preference.

Regarding your issues... To be blunt, have you researched this clunking sound, beyond just finding others who've had it? It might be something that requires more of a time/effort investment than the dealership is willing--or motivated--to invest. The steering wheel jerk was addressed in a TSB--it's not something Honda considers acceptable. And not to put too fine a point on things, but every car I have ever owned has been in the shop or dealer for a warranty repair or some anomalous issue that I thought was 100% unacceptable at the time. I began to realize two things: A) No car is perfect, not even Lamborghinis, Aston Martins, and their ilk; B) Most people are either blissfully unaware or just don't care enough to worry about anything besides their regular maintenance and major malfunctions (car won't start, tranny falls out on the freeway). Members of boards such as this one are car enthusiasts--we hear ever tick, purr, and gear change; we notice every squeak and shimmy; we could identify our cars if we were blind. Your average Jane and Joe just aren't those people. By virtue of the interests and abilities of the members they attract, then, car forums are rife with Those Who Notice Everything (or most things). By extension, then, the forums become a place for Those Who Notice Everything to collaborate and share experiences. Unless you're modding your car, the experiences we deem worthy of sharing tend to be problems. It's like the news cycle. Never is there a news cast like this: "Our top story tonight: Nothing special is happening in the world. We all seem pretty content. Good night." No. If things are going well, we smile and enjoy it. We don't take the time to log on and post about it. So you've found lots of posts of people griping. Percentage-wise, we represent a tiny fraction of all TSX owners, and of that fraction who have problems, not too many are on board with your view about Acura. (Again, I'm not aiming to negate your viewpoint.)

I'll shut my long-winded self up with this:
  • Honda holds the record for the most appearances on Car & Driver's Top 10 List
  • Acura has garnered ALG's Highest Resale Value of Any Luxury Brand for two years in a row
  • Acura TSX was on Car & Driver's Best 10 list for the first three model years of production (2004–2006)
  • TSX was ranked as the "Best Resale Value" in the sedan category by CNN
  • 2004 TSX was named the "Top-Value Car in the Category: Sedan under $35,000" by SmartMoney.com
  • Consumer Reports named the 2004 TSX as the "Best Overall in Sporty Sedans."
I could give you more (there are some safety awards as well), and I'm sure BMW and Lexus have a few accolades under their respective belts, too. All I know is that I own a car that has a comparable (2.4L vs. 2.5L) engine to the 325 series, and one I know is gonna give me 150k+ miles (I have only 73k currently), with a value in the double-digit-thousands, which ain't bad for a seven-year-old car. I might add that you have 120k miles. The engine will last with care, as will the rest of the car, but at some point, we have to accept that our cars, like our bodies, will have a few things go wrong here and there as they age. It's inevitable.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Race Director

I loved my 6.5 years with the 2004 TSX. It had the best gas mileage and I got looks from other people and compliments because it was a great looking car. I just traded it in last weekend with 87,655 miles on it and it still gave me a great resale value for an almost 7 year old car.

My only complaints with the car were the cheap paint job, I always had warped rotors, it was only ok in the snow and average with snow tires, and I never noticed this because I always drove the car, but just this year my wife drove it and I sat in the back seat and there really isn't a lot of foot room at all in the rear.

The car never had a problem though with that A/C problem that a lot of other 2004 TSX's had.

If they ever offer the TSX wagon with SH-AWD I will return to a TSX.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kvan2007
@greendestiny: I don't think we're trying to change your mind so much as give you other perspectives to consider, since a singular experience does not define a brand. You say you've had "too many" problems with your Acura and it's not luxurious enough for the $25-27k price. Well, no one can argue your perceptions. All we can do is share facts and anecdotal experiences. I have owned my car for six years. I drive like a friggin' maniac (speeding, fast starts, high RPMs, using sport shift 75% of the time--I am intimately familiar with my VTEC), and my TSX was a dealer loaner car w/ 22,000 miles before I bought it. I think we all know how "well" people treat loaner cars. The brakes pissed me off, to be sure. But like I said, I was slamming my brakes to stop from 100+ mph both times. In my Beetle, I slammed the brakes once to avoid a collision, and the brake pad cracked. I spun 360º across four lanes of a freeway. It's a damned miracle I didn't hit anything. VW wouldn't cover it, either (dicks), even with my extended warranty.

Replacing the rear hub assembly and the power steering hose on the TSX seemed ridiculous. I just figured it was the abuse doled out by all the dealership customers. Yes, the ride is stiff and harsh, and that's due to two things. First, the tires (some people swear by them, others hate them). I switched to Yokohamas, and the ride is quieter. Also, you can change to an H-rated, touring tire. That will smooth things out noticeably--at the expense of some handling. Second is the suspension, which was designed for handling and performance as opposed to road-smoothing softness.

I have owned a wide variety of cars in my relatively young life. Those experiences have taught me that if I want cushy softness, I sacrifice agility and maneuverability. My Ford Probe V6 GT, my Honda Civic EX, and my VW New Beetle all handled really well (the Probe was actually the best, perhaps even a little better than the TSX due to its superlatively aerodynamic shape and low ground clearance). And all of these cars had very bumpy rides. I even had the sublime privilege of getting to drive a six-speed, Porsche Carrera 2--the owner was invited to Germany by Porsche, where he took delivery of it. I almost had a cargasm driving that thing. The quickness was unbelievable! It handled like nothing I've ever experienced--I swear those tires were glued to the ground. Harbor no illusions, though--that ride was probably more harsh than my TSX's is. I don't know the physics of it exactly, but I know that if you want a responsive suspension and a fast engine, it then becomes impossible to also have a supple ride.

What it seems like you're saying, insofar as ride and comfort quality, is that you want a sports sedan with a touring sedan ride--but without sacrificing all the features of the sport sedan. I'm not sure that is possible. You have to choose which end of the continuum between comfortable and nimble you wish to be closer to. The TSX is much closer to the nimble/quick end of the spectrum. That doesn't make it an inferior car so much one that isn't your preference--the same way an RL or Cadillac is not my preference.

Regarding your issues... To be blunt, have you researched this clunking sound, beyond just finding others who've had it? It might be something that requires more of a time/effort investment than the dealership is willing--or motivated--to invest. The steering wheel jerk was addressed in a TSB--it's not something Honda considers acceptable. And not to put too fine a point on things, but every car I have ever owned has been in the shop or dealer for a warranty repair or some anomalous issue that I thought was 100% unacceptable at the time. I began to realize two things: A) No car is perfect, not even Lamborghinis, Aston Martins, and their ilk; B) Most people are either blissfully unaware or just don't care enough to worry about anything besides their regular maintenance and major malfunctions (car won't start, tranny falls out on the freeway). Members of boards such as this one are car enthusiasts--we hear ever tick, purr, and gear change; we notice every squeak and shimmy; we could identify our cars if we were blind. Your average Jane and Joe just aren't those people. By virtue of the interests and abilities of the members they attract, then, car forums are rife with Those Who Notice Everything (or most things). By extension, then, the forums become a place for Those Who Notice Everything to collaborate and share experiences. Unless you're modding your car, the experiences we deem worthy of sharing tend to be problems. It's like the news cycle. Never is there a news cast like this: "Our top story tonight: Nothing special is happening in the world. We all seem pretty content. Good night." No. If things are going well, we smile and enjoy it. We don't take the time to log on and post about it. So you've found lots of posts of people griping. Percentage-wise, we represent a tiny fraction of all TSX owners, and of that fraction who have problems, not too many are on board with your view about Acura. (Again, I'm not aiming to negate your viewpoint.)

I'll shut my long-winded self up with this:
  • Honda holds the record for the most appearances on Car & Driver's Top 10 List
  • Acura has garnered ALG's Highest Resale Value of Any Luxury Brand for two years in a row
  • Acura TSX was on Car & Driver's Best 10 list for the first three model years of production (2004–2006)
  • TSX was ranked as the "Best Resale Value" in the sedan category by CNN
  • 2004 TSX was named the "Top-Value Car in the Category: Sedan under $35,000" by SmartMoney.com
  • Consumer Reports named the 2004 TSX as the "Best Overall in Sporty Sedans."
I could give you more (there are some safety awards as well), and I'm sure BMW and Lexus have a few accolades under their respective belts, too. All I know is that I own a car that has a comparable (2.4L vs. 2.5L) engine to the 325 series, and one I know is gonna give me 150k+ miles (I have only 73k currently), with a value in the double-digit-thousands, which ain't bad for a seven-year-old car. I might add that you have 120k miles. The engine will last with care, as will the rest of the car, but at some point, we have to accept that our cars, like our bodies, will have a few things go wrong here and there as they age. It's inevitable.
Very nice post. I remember those Car and Driver reviews also. I still have the issues somewhere when the TSX first came out in April 2003. Wow, before you know it, the TSX, in April 2013, would have been on the roads 10 years!!! It seems like only yesterday I laid my eyes on my first TSX when it came out in April 2003. Time is flying.

Last edited by Miamicarfan; 03-29-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Instructor

I agree with the OP except for one thing. I still think the TSX is a good car. I own a 2004 TSX with 137,000. It's my wife's car. I drive a Benz C230 and our other car is a Cadillac SRX. By far the TSX is the noisiest, harshest driving over bumps (nice on the highway), cheapest hard plastic on the dash (although the basic dash design is very nice), and the worst brakes of any car I have owned.

I agree that brake wear can be related to driving habits, but answer me this. My wife has owned many cars and has never had rotors that warped like the TSX. They warped at 20,000 miles and were turned under warranty. Warped again at 30,000 and the rotors were replaced under warranty. Again at 70,000 and 110,000. I have now replaced them with Centric rotors and Akebono pads. Much better feel and we will see how they wear. Her previous car, a VW Jetta that was sold with 130,000 and had one brake job at 65,000.

Now all that being said, the TSX handles very well for a front drive, the engine pulls nicely and is very smooth in operation. It has been fairly reliable (it's an 04 so I have had some issues with it). The manual shifter has a great feel. I don't know if we would by another one.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Johns
I agree with the OP except for one thing. I still think the TSX is a good car. I own a 2004 TSX with 137,000. It's my wife's car. I drive a Benz C230 and our other car is a Cadillac SRX. By far the TSX is the noisiest, harshest driving over bumps (nice on the highway), cheapest hard plastic on the dash (although the basic dash design is very nice), and the worst brakes of any car I have owned.

I agree that brake wear can be related to driving habits, but answer me this. My wife has owned many cars and has never had rotors that warped like the TSX. They warped at 20,000 miles and were turned under warranty. Warped again at 30,000 and the rotors were replaced under warranty. Again at 70,000 and 110,000. I have now replaced them with Centric rotors and Akebono pads. Much better feel and we will see how they wear. Her previous car, a VW Jetta that was sold with 130,000 and had one brake job at 65,000.

Now all that being said, the TSX handles very well for a front drive, the engine pulls nicely and is very smooth in operation. It has been fairly reliable (it's an 04 so I have had some issues with it). The manual shifter has a great feel. I don't know if we would by another one.
this is exactly my feeling. yes i understand everybody has their issues and no issues are alike. but i must agree that the TSX seems to be the most prone and sensitive to driving habits. I'm a moderate/aggressive driver. So yes, the brake rotors kept warping every 20-30k miles like you said. First time happened at 18k. Next time, it happened again at 40k. I've literally never had this problem with any other car, not even honda civics and toyota camry and I drive those cars equally as moderate.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Racer

this is exactly my feeling. yes i understand everybody has their issues and no issues are alike. but i must agree that the TSX seems to be the most prone and sensitive to driving habits. I'm a moderate/aggressive driver. So yes, the brake rotors kept warping every 20-30k miles like you said. First time happened at 18k. Next time, it happened again at 40k. I've literally never had this problem with any other car, not even honda civics and toyota camry and I drive those cars equally as moderate.
Glad you found another owner who had the same problem. (Again with a 2004 model, reinforcing the possibility that it was an early problem with some of the brake rotor suppliers.)

Regardless, there are plenty of folks here with no problems, so I disagree that the TSX is "most prone" to those stated issues.

Again, your mention of your 2000 Camry being fine with rotors makes me think of my neighbor with a 2000 Camry, the 70 year-old woman (who drives, well, like a 70 year-old woman). Her brake rotors warped several times. Why?

I've owned several Japanese sports cars, and German performance sedans, (the German cars have been the most problematic.) I've raced all of my cars and also participate in road rallies. I drive moderately at times -- and hard at times. All I can say is that I have a 2006 TSX with no brake problems and no clunking noises. Simply put, my car does not fit that blanket characterization.

I will say that I have noticed all of the cars I have owned became harsher riding as they went over 100,000 miles, and I expect my TSX will, too. I don't think there is any car with a decent performance tuned suspension, (double wishbone, or otherwise), that is immune to that.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 03-30-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Burning Brakes

I have to agree about the rotors -- I get 'em turned, and it's not long before I get the shimmy. Sigh. And no, I'm not as aggressive as most of y'all and I don't wash the car right after driving.

Aside from that, I'm pretty happy with the TSX. I don't understand the "luxury" comments. Maybe this is why Acura killed the RSX too. So much for sporty, let's just go compete with Buick? Anyway, I like the sportiness of the TSX, but it has some luxury features standard, like the leather seats and HID lighting. (You may have been able to get leather seating on a US Accord, but I don't recall the HID lighting, and the handling is probably a lot better on the TSX. So, I don't think the TSX is a warmed-over Accord, even if it is the "Accord" from Japan.)

And I agree about some of the other cars like Audi and BMW. You're paying a lot more for those cars. The next time I shop for a car, I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm not sure that the 2nd gen TSX is it. Hopefully I can get another couple of years out of this one; it's working fine, and I see no reason to change!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll add my input. I've had my 04 TSX 6MT since Oct '03. It's been far from perfect, but is still really fun to drive! Sure I've experienced most of the problems: A-pillar rattle, driver's seat shifting, rear wheel bearing, creaking clutch, HVAC/radio lights out, A/C compressor failure, door lock actuators, front end clunk (was control arm bushings), power steering pump/hose, and most recently inner CV joint failure and throw out bearing wear. After a new clutch, drive axles and transmission fluid change it drives great again. Not bad for 125k mile of enthusiastic driving. Having the 100k AcuraCare extended warranty kept repair costs to a minimum. Thankfully, my dealer was pretty good about fixing things, even if not always the first time. It hugely helped upgrading the tires early on to Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2s, the brakes to Racing brake rotors/pad/lines, and the suspension with A-spec dampers/springs with a Comptec rear bar. I agree, the paint is terrible. My Milano red paint got blotchy faded spots in the mid coat after 4 years, and chipped alot. The tire road noise and turning radius also leave a lot to be desired. Nevertheless, I have really enjoyed the sporty driving and slick shifting of the TSX. It's been a fun commuter car.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

my 2 cents, from a new Acura Driver.

I am only about a 2 months into my 1st Gen TSX Experience (got a CPO from acura on valentines this year) but here is my 2 cents.

I have had 4 cars now since 2007. Bad Luck. First car was a 2001 Carolla with 150 Dollars. It had a engine like a sewing machine, and a fart can exhaust. Hated the thing, luckily some comedically small korean lady in a comedically large Lexus SUV took me out, along with that car.
Next car was a 2001 Beetle bought in 2008 with only 35,000 miles. Car was a failure. I must have put at least 10 grand into that car before i finally sold it to a porn star (my only good memory of the car)
Next was a 2008 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor... AMERICAN STEEL! Awesome, V8 killed me tho so sold it quick.

Luckily i've done pretty well with my career in the last couple years so decided to finance a new or newer car. Looked at a Mini S, 3 Series BMW, Nissan Juke and 350Z, and finally the TSX. I love my TSX. 4 people, reliable and totally awesome.

YOUR COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE SUSPENSION BEING STIFF IS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE CAR! IT IS NOT A LUXURY CAR, IT IS A SPORTS SEDAN (with some luxury features) The Car revs up to god damn 7000 easy in my AT, i can keep it in 3rd on twisty roads (which i travel on every day) and the suspension/heavy steering keep my going through NO PROBLEM.

If i had bought a 3 Series i would be pulling my hair out after the warranty ran out. German cars do not stay mechanically sound unless u drive like grandma every day.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 PM
9th Gear

I agree that the TSX vs BMW comparison is simply unfair. The TSX is hopelessly outclassed from a performance/handling point of view. Also, the 'harsh ride' is similarly unfair. Show me a car in the same weight class that offers a 'luxury ride'. Also, who wants to deal with all the awful electrical problems that German cars seem to be plagued with after about 7-8 years?

I've owned 2 TSXs ('04 and '06) and a TL ('04) and numerous other Japanese cars, and have to say it is difficult to get similar quality for the price. Maybe the '11 Hyundais and Kias come close.

Acura does need to work on the crappy paint and inexcusable brake problems.

Last edited by oguardado; 04-21-2011 at 11:08 PM.