2013 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
2013 Accord

I saw a couple of 013 Accords on the road today (both wearing dealer plates). I must confess that I wasn't particularly impressed when I saw pictures of the car, but they really don't do the car justice. It looks noticeably smaller (though it's not) and is much better looking than the previous gen. Many (or most) of the sharp crease are gone, replaced by smoother contours (shades of the 1st gen TSX....). Too bad it would take till next years production to consider one (still too many "first model year blues" stories out there, from many manufacturers).
Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
I saw a couple of 013 Accords on the road today (both wearing dealer plates). I must confess that I wasn't particularly impressed when I saw pictures of the car, but they really don't do the car justice. It looks noticeably smaller (though it's not) and is much better looking than the previous gen. Many (or most) of the sharp crease are gone, replaced by smoother contours (shades of the 1st gen TSX....). Too bad it would take till next years production to consider one (still too many "first model year blues" stories out there, from many manufacturers).
It does look better in person and I think it will be a sales succcess. It is a little smaller on the outside. The interior volume is actually a little less but passenger room (width, leg room etc) is actually a little larger. I'm hoping these are all good signs for the TLX.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
They really are quite nice in person!

The interior is more 'Acura than ever before', and the touring trim is exquisite with its LED headlights (low beams), LED headlight treatment (think Audi), and LED tail lights.

People say the rear end looks like a Hyundai Genesis sedan, but I disagree that they copied the Korean brand. Look at the 90-93, 96-97 and 98-02 accord sedan tail lights. They always had those long rectangular tails that extended across the rear. Just my to the critics.

I saw a black touring '13 on the road today with tint and it looked more like a genuine luxury car than a Honda!

If they discontinue the TSX, I'm certainly considering a 4 cylinder Touring version Accord, or perhaps a '14 Acura TLX, if they're offered with a 4 cylinder.......... the ILX.... not for me.

Last edited by R_R4; 10-12-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by R_R4
They really are quite nice in person!

The interior is more 'Acura than ever before', and the touring trim is exquisite with its LED headlights (low beams), LED headlight treatment (think Audi), and LED tail lights.

People say the rear end looks like a Hyundai Genesis sedan, but I disagree that they copied the Korean brand. Look at the 90-93, 96-97 and 98-02 accord sedan tail lights. They always had those long rectangular tails that extended across the rear. Just my to the critics.

I saw a black touring '13 on the road today with tint and it looked more like a genuine luxury car than a Honda!

If they discontinue the TSX, I'm certainly considering a 4 cylinder Touring version Accord, or perhaps a '14 Acura TLX, if they're offered with a 4 cylinder.......... the ILX.... not for me.
I've been somewhat critical of the ILX (for a few reasons) and still remain unimpressed. That said, I've been really surprised over the last couple of weeks how many I've seen on the road (around town). We have a local Acura dealer, so I'll attribute some of it to that, but Honda must have some good programs in place. The high MSRP's were/are my major complaint, but I suppose if the price is right, Acura will move them.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got my car serviced at the local honda dealership (nearest Acura dealer is at least 20 miles away) and I sat inside the new Accord. Looks real nice.

The only thing that holds me back from the Accord are these things:
1. Hybrid not yet available. The plug in is coming out early next year.
2. I got so spoiled from the ELS surround sound system on my TSX-tech. Can't buy any other car without surround sound now. Honda doesn't have an option for surround sound, while Toyota offers the JBL system for the Camry and Prius among others.

I also hear that the new TLX hybrid will get 45 mpg fuel economy. That is ridiculously good if this is combined fuel economy, AND if it is for real, unlike the Civic hybrid debacle. I was leaning toward getting a Lexus ES300h if there was no TL/TLX hybrid with comparable fuel econ.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by dcdriver
I got my car serviced at the local honda dealership (nearest Acura dealer is at least 20 miles away) and I sat inside the new Accord. Looks real nice.

The only thing that holds me back from the Accord are these things:
1. Hybrid not yet available. The plug in is coming out early next year.
2. I got so spoiled from the ELS surround sound system on my TSX-tech. Can't buy any other car without surround sound now. Honda doesn't have an option for surround sound, while Toyota offers the JBL system for the Camry and Prius among others.

I also hear that the new TLX hybrid will get 45 mpg fuel economy. That is ridiculously good if this is combined fuel economy, AND if it is for real, unlike the Civic hybrid debacle. I was leaning toward getting a Lexus ES300h if there was no TL/TLX hybrid with comparable fuel econ.
Is the Accord Hybrid (and therefore the TLX Hybrid if there is one) to be made in Japan??? Or is he just talking about the hybrid drive train?

"October 12, 2012 Although a chief Honda engineer in Tokyo has recently said the company doubts the pending 2014 Accord Hybrid will sell in much volume, it is considering producing it in the U.S. by 2015. North American production, said chief engineer Chitoshi Yokota to the Japan’s daily business newspaper, Nikkei Sangyo, could offset profits expected to be eroded by the yen’s strength against the dollar, and associated export costs. "We won't be able to expand the business unless we come to be able to procure and make the battery and the motor locally, maybe around 2015," Yokota said. "

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/honda...rid-53983.html
Old 10-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
In Canada a loaded 4 cylinder Touring with a manual is $32k while the semi-equivalent TSX is $38k. There's no way the TSX is worth $6k more than the Touring Accord
Old 10-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Is the Accord Hybrid (and therefore the TLX Hybrid if there is one) to be made in Japan??? Or is he just talking about the hybrid drive train?

"October 12, 2012 Although a chief Honda engineer in Tokyo has recently said the company doubts the pending 2014 Accord Hybrid will sell in much volume, it is considering producing it in the U.S. by 2015. North American production, said chief engineer Chitoshi Yokota to the Japan’s daily business newspaper, Nikkei Sangyo, could offset profits expected to be eroded by the yen’s strength against the dollar, and associated export costs. "We won't be able to expand the business unless we come to be able to procure and make the battery and the motor locally, maybe around 2015," Yokota said. "

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/honda...rid-53983.html
My guess is the hybrid train.

I would think that the new TLX would be made in America, like the current TL, unless Acura thinks the ILX will be the volume seller....
Old 10-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by supafamous
In Canada a loaded 4 cylinder Touring with a manual is $32k while the semi-equivalent TSX is $38k. There's no way the TSX is worth $6k more than the Touring Accord
I agree. An Acura badge and being built in Japan is only worth so much. The Accord can be had with a manual, is plenty fun, and no slouch in the reliability department

$6K can buy you the best stereo setup you'll ever need IMHO. Plus, you can remove it and put it in your next car/ sell the audio components when you're ready to move on and sell/trade in the accord.

Debadging the new accord will certainly fool A LOT of people into thinking its a luxury car (well, at least until it gets more common, which it will).

Still, it will be nice to see a lot of these around, much like I felt about the 8th gen Civic sedan when they first came out (since they're EVERYWHERE)
Old 10-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree about the new Accord looking and sounding much better than the previous iteration. The drop of the wishbone suspension bothers me a bit, but the fact that it can still be had with a stick, (a 6 speed, finally), it helps the fun to drive aspect.

It would tempt me, but I also agree with R_R4 about the exclusivity factor...within a year you will see them everywhere. I have always liked having a car that is a little less common. People are still often asking me what kind of car I have and commenting on how good it looks...and even though the 1G TSX design has been out for 9 years, many people have never seen one.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm really torn right now... my tsx just went over 70k miles. do i want to "downgrade" and get a 2013 honda accord sport 6-speed? or do i run my car into dust? decisions decisions. i'd black out all the chrome trim but otherwise, the 2013 accord sport looks great imo.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by 808havok_tsx
i'm really torn right now... my tsx just went over 70k miles. do i want to "downgrade" and get a 2013 honda accord sport 6-speed? or do i run my car into dust? decisions decisions. i'd black out all the chrome trim but otherwise, the 2013 accord sport looks great imo.
70K miles? Your TSX is just broken in. We have many high mileage contributors here (including me, with an 05 at 176K and my wife's 07 approaching 170K), and most (if not all) have had good luck with their cars. If you like your TSX, don't give the mileage a second thought. 70K? I wish....!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
70K miles? Your TSX is just broken in. We have many high mileage contributors here (including me, with an 05 at 176K and my wife's 07 approaching 170K), and most (if not all) have had good luck with their cars. If you like your TSX, don't give the mileage a second thought. 70K? I wish....!
i'm a real big honda guy too so no need to tell me about the mileage.

my dilemma stems from several things - honolulu has the worst traffic in the nation for the small island that we are. when you are doing 80/20 highway/city driving, 70k miles are certainly just breaking in and nothing to worry about. when the ratio is swapped its a different story, especially when you are stuck in the worst traffic in the nation. compounding that is our road conditions - yep, 3rd worst in the nation! if you guys ever saw how my front bumper and hood looks like, you'd think my mileage was closer to 200k miles.

its not the engine i'm worried about - i've been running synthetic oil after 10k miles and do oil change religiously every 5k and get all fluids topped off every visit by the dealer. i did my transmission oil change (drain/refill 3x) at 55k instead of 60k because i'm paranoid... its everything else that's the problem. i've found that 70k is the sweet spot in hawaii to sell a car and still get a decent amount of money back which i can use toward a new car. my car is paid off (paid it off in 3 years) so that's another dilemma i have to deal with...

in another year or two, my guess is i'd have to spend at least $4k to get new paint for the front bumper and hood, probably change suspension at that time, and change out many bushings/etc if i'm going to keep my car and run it to dust thereafter. hence, 70k miles aka now is a big decision for me.

anyway... i think the 2013 accord sport 6spd is a great car. direct injection (finally!), manual, more torque, spacious, etc. with the one and only acura dealer in honolulu asking for $35K+ for the tsx special edition 6 speed (which is the only tsx i'd buy), that is no longer an option for me.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by 808havok_tsx
i'm a real big honda guy too so no need to tell me about the mileage.

my dilemma stems from several things - honolulu has the worst traffic in the nation for the small island that we are. when you are doing 80/20 highway/city driving, 70k miles are certainly just breaking in and nothing to worry about. when the ratio is swapped its a different story, especially when you are stuck in the worst traffic in the nation. compounding that is our road conditions - yep, 3rd worst in the nation! if you guys ever saw how my front bumper and hood looks like, you'd think my mileage was closer to 200k miles.

its not the engine i'm worried about - i've been running synthetic oil after 10k miles and do oil change religiously every 5k and get all fluids topped off every visit by the dealer. i did my transmission oil change (drain/refill 3x) at 55k instead of 60k because i'm paranoid... its everything else that's the problem. i've found that 70k is the sweet spot in hawaii to sell a car and still get a decent amount of money back which i can use toward a new car. my car is paid off (paid it off in 3 years) so that's another dilemma i have to deal with...

in another year or two, my guess is i'd have to spend at least $4k to get new paint for the front bumper and hood, probably change suspension at that time, and change out many bushings/etc if i'm going to keep my car and run it to dust thereafter. hence, 70k miles aka now is a big decision for me.

anyway... i think the 2013 accord sport 6spd is a great car. direct injection (finally!), manual, more torque, spacious, etc. with the one and only acura dealer in honolulu asking for $35K+ for the tsx special edition 6 speed (which is the only tsx i'd buy), that is no longer an option for me.
Got it. One suggestion, if you do buy a new car, seriously consider clear bra (or similar). We have it on the front of both of the TSX's and the difference it's made is amazing. We're in the Northeast, and with all the miles being highway, I can't imagine you can do much more damage than driving on our winter roads do.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Stitched dash AND door panels on the 2013 Civic.... WOW!!!!

This IS an Acura!!!! lol

The Civic EX-L is GORGEOUS compared to the 2012 version IMO
Old 11-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
I know I'm biased, but I like my TSX better.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The styling of this generation Accord is a lot better than the last. I hated the styling of the previous gen Accord. Many Acura TLs are made in Ohio now...just wanted to clear that up.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by R_R4
Stitched dash AND door panels on the 2013 Civic.... WOW!!!!

This IS an Acura!!!! lol

The Civic EX-L is GORGEOUS compared to the 2012 version IMO
I guess I'll have to stay in suspense since all I get is red X's.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:39 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new Accord looks really good but ill stick with tsx