2006 TSX or 2006 Accord EX four-cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 TSX or 2006 Accord EX four-cylinder?

I was wondering if people here could help me resolve a dilemma I'm having. I'm buying a new car next summer, and both of these cars were serious contenders. I've test-driven both, but there was about a month between the two test drives. I've also done numerous comparisons with stat sheets. I was looking for some first-hand experiences as well as some advice. Basically, the TSX is $3000-4000 more, and I'm trying to figure out if that's worth it.

What I don't care about are the leather seats, the xenon headlamps, or the power memory seats. They're cool if they're around, but I don't miss them at all if they're absent.

What I do care about is practicality and sportiness. I know that the TSX is ~40 hp more powerful, and that the Accord is about 20% more fuel efficient. I know that the Accord is two inches wider and eight inches longer, but actually a teeny bit lighter. What I wasn't able to figure out from my test drive or from stat sheets, though, are whether there are significant differences in handling prowess, and if so, why. Do they have equal quality suspension components and the like? If not, is the Accord easily upgradeable? Is it easy to make a four-cylinder Accord handle as well or better than a stock TSX?

Any insight to this, or suggestions for other reasons to go with either the Accord EX four-cylinder or the TSX, are greatly appreciated.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Racer

When I got my TSX...about 3 months ago...I drove several cars. Two of those cars were Accords. One was a two door and one was a four door. They were great cars in their own right but neither hit the spot like the TSX.

I say buy the TSX. I mean, it is actually an Accord but in Acura clothing, so you have the best of both worlds and it solves the problem Accord or TSX.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:32 PM
No-navi, yo

Welcome to the forum. I understand that you stressed that the practility and the sprotiness are the two criteria you are evaulating, and you don't care for the leather seats. I could not tell you much about how does the two cars compare on the road, since I did not test drive the accord. But I assume the TSX probably has a slight edge over the Accord on the sprotiness, yet, slightly less practical than the Accord, which only requires regular gasoline instead of premium.

In my opinion, the decision should be pretty easy - ask yourself do you want to pay for the leather seat. If you absolutely refuse to pay extra money for the leather, you probably should get the Accord. Otherwise, TSX is definitely a better buy, in my opinion.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Racer

Acura TSX ....2005 Car and Driver's 10 Best Sports Sedan.....'nuff said....

Honda Accord 2005 Car and Driver's 10 Best Family Sedan.... 'nuff said...

any questions??? Car and Driver's 10Best report can be read here: http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=8915

honestly, I understand during test drives, we can't really push the vehicle to the limit..for risk of crashing the car and having to buy it...

I too, didn't even "push" the TSX to the limit during my test drive..it wasnt until when I took it home, that I found out that the TSX handles soooooo well for a 4 door sedan...it handles sooo much better than my 1996 Honda Civic coupe (which has a lower stance and center of gravity)....

that being said, I also found out it made Car and Driver's 10Best in "SPORTS SEDAN"...and I couldn't agree anyless...it is TRULY a SPORTS sedan...
Old 09-19-2005, 01:06 AM
Advanced

I really appreciate all the responses. But let me try to clarify what I was asking. All of these posts are assuming that the TSX is a better handler than the four-cylinder Accord (both are obviously better than the V6 Accord, because the V6 is 200 lbs more nose-heavy). I'm wondering WHY the TSX is better than the i4 Accord EX, and if it's a lot better or a little better than the Accord, and if I could make up the difference if I got the Accord. Is it something simple like different shocks? Or is it many differences that run throughout the Accord's chassis, and thus cannot easily be improved to TSX level (or near-TSX level)?

Thanks again for any responses.

By the way, BusyShifter, to answer your question about leather--I'm totally neutral between cloth and perforated leather, and my girlfriend actually prefers the former because she's a vegetarian (but she'd be okay with leather if I got it). So the TSX's leather seats don't add any weight to its side of the decision-making scale.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Instructor

the accord is bigger inside and outside. fuel economy is close enough to be a wash (your actual mieage will depend more on your driving style than the car). you can make the acord handle better than stock, however, it will always be at a disadvantage to the tsx due to the size, weight distribution and different suspension pieces. go to a car show near you and sit in both to see which will suit you best. can't go wrong with either. jps
Old 09-19-2005, 08:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mitlov
I was wondering if people here could help me resolve a dilemma I'm having. I'm buying a new car next summer, and both of these cars were serious contenders. I've test-driven both, but there was about a month between the two test drives. I've also done numerous comparisons with stat sheets. I was looking for some first-hand experiences as well as some advice. Basically, the TSX is $3000-4000 more, and I'm trying to figure out if that's worth it.

What I don't care about are the leather seats, the xenon headlamps, or the power memory seats. They're cool if they're around, but I don't miss them at all if they're absent.

What I do care about is practicality and sportiness. I know that the TSX is ~40 hp more powerful, and that the Accord is about 20% more fuel efficient. I know that the Accord is two inches wider and eight inches longer, but actually a teeny bit lighter. What I wasn't able to figure out from my test drive or from stat sheets, though, are whether there are significant differences in handling prowess, and if so, why. Do they have equal quality suspension components and the like? If not, is the Accord easily upgradeable? Is it easy to make a four-cylinder Accord handle as well or better than a stock TSX?

Any insight to this, or suggestions for other reasons to go with either the Accord EX four-cylinder or the TSX, are greatly appreciated.
I had the same dilema. Several of those items you had on your list were important to me, but... two things I noted that were significantly better on the TSX, handling (in all but a few cases, the TSX is much better than the driver), and quietness. Why not try a same day test drive on both? That should help you make up your mind..... Better still, if you can arrange it, drive both cars on the same day, over the same stretch of road. That's what I did, and the difference was night and day for me. The Accord was sort of, "well, this is very nice" (and a smile came to my face). The TSX was sort of, "Wow, awesome machine" (and a grin came to my face). So, the question you have to answer is, do you want to smile, or do you want to grin. verses
Old 09-19-2005, 09:19 AM
No-navi, yo

You made a good point about not caring for the leather seat. If it make you feel better, I believe the "leather" in TSX is actually synthetic, not from the actual cows. But I could be wrong. I think it is a common practice now that car manufactures using synthetic/man-made leather in luxury cars.

But how about other amenties that TSX has, such as the moon roof, CD changer, heated seat, the 17-inch wheels, or even the fog lights? Assume that you had your heart set on the accord 4-cylinder, would you consider adding any of these accessories as the options for the accord? These amenties could adds up very quickly to compensate the price difference between two cars.

The most popular and cost effective modification on TSX is the RSB (~$120), which almost all had done it claimes improve the handling during the turns significantly. Changing the stock tires is also another fast mod that improves the handling in TSX, but cost a bit more.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Safety Car

Aren't they both K24 engines?
Old 09-19-2005, 09:35 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

I think the easiest way to look at it is through how Honda markets the 2 cars, and greendestiny alluded to it a little bit...

The Acura TSX is a sports sedan. If you're looking for sportiness, this will offer you tighter handling, a firmer ride, and sleeker styling. The focus of this car is on the driver, and is hence marketed more towards a somewhat younger demographic that has a need for 4 doors.

The USDM Honda Accord is a family sedan. If you're looking for practicality, this will offer you a softer ("cushier") ride, more trunk and cabin space, etc. The focus of this car is on the passenger(s), and is hence marketed more towards the family demographic.

Because you don't really care for any of the creature comforts that come with the TSX (leather, HIDs, etc.), you're trying to justify whether the extra handling is worth $3000-4000. To me, the difference is quite significant - and worth it too... although you should note that we're all biased on here! As a passenger in my friend's 4cyl sedan, I'll admit the ride is very comfortable... but he views cars as merely transportation, and not as something you derive enjoyment from. If you're a "driver", you'll want the TSX.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:39 AM
No-navi, yo

Another piece of advice, price is always a factor in deciding which car to get, so you don't need to decided between the two now. When you are ready to buy, walk into car dealers and tell the sale representatives your dilemma. Let them try to convince you which car you want to get -- the easiest way the sales could do it is to reduce the price of the TSX.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:45 AM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by BusyShifter
But how about other amenties that TSX has, such as the moon roof, CD changer, heated seat, the 17-inch wheels, or even the fog lights? Assume that you had your heart set on the accord 4-cylinder, would you consider adding any of these accessories as the options for the accord? These amenties could adds up very quickly to compensate the price difference between two cars.
No, the moon roof, cd changer, and heated seats are all standard on the $23k EX-L. I think the non-leather only loses the heated seats. 17" wheels are only TSX, Accord gets 16s. This could actually be an advantage, considering tire replacement costs.

I own an '04 TSX, and my Mom has an '04 Accord EX-L 4cyl. Driving wise, the TSX is tighter, and sportier. Also has a slightly harsher ride. 17s on the Accord might even this up a little, but it will still be a larger car. I also don't really like the interior styling of the Accord, but that is subjective. You will also lose some things in the Accord like the Steptronic (with the auto), and the gauges aren't nearly as nice, especially with a smaller tach on the side, instead of the spedo and tach big and next to each other. The HID lights on the TSX are a big benefit as well, and you get a better warranty (4/50k vs. 3/36k), and you get the Homelink. I also get my butt kissed at Acura dealers with things like loaners, which aren't available from Honda. On the flip side, the Accord takes regular gas, and the TSX needs the good stuff, but it isn't THAT big of a premium. Accord also has the cool integrated key, vs. TSX key and fob.

Bottom line, if you are a car guy, the extra few grand is probably worth it to you for the TSX. It's sportier, nicer inside, and is just more special, since you don't see nearly as many around. The Honda is a nice car, but it's just that, a NICE car, kind of vanilla, and not nearly as special.

YMMV
Old 09-19-2005, 09:53 AM
No-navi, yo

Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
No, the moon roof, cd changer, and heated seats are all standard on the $23k EX-L. I think the non-leather only loses the heated seats. 17" wheels are only TSX, Accord gets 16s. This could actually be an advantage, considering tire replacement costs.

YMMV
Wow, did not know Accord is going to come with all of the goodies. But this is what I am saying, if one would consider buying a $23k Accord EX-L, he or she is definetly better off buying the $25k TSX instead.

People have already posted on the forum about getting deal of couple hundred dollars over the invoice price on the 2006 TSX. And the 2006 TSX is still months away from arriving U.S..
Old 09-19-2005, 10:14 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Mitlov,
Would you want an automatic or a manual?

Also, I don't like how the 2005 Accord sedan looks, but the new tail end for 2006 helps that a lot. It looks a bit like the new RL, imo.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:16 AM
HOWARD911S

if u dont care about xenon. leather and all those.... and want to save money, why not get accord V6? you get what u want, cheaper price and 40 more horse than TSX
Old 09-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Hey All.........I went by the Honda dealer to pick up a brochure for the new Accord and they just happened to have a V6 sedan 6sp. in the color I like sitting on the lot. Even though i did not have my license with me because I was out bike riding the dude still let me take it for a good spin. I will say that I'm a little older than most of you guys in here. Anyway......the car was sweet and we all know how great the 6 speed is. They do put 215/50's on the 6 sp. but I still need to drive a TSX before I make a final decision. From what I've read the Accord leans more to a pleasurable ride then good brisk handling like the TSX. I currently drive an 02 RSX-S and I just fell in love with the quiet inside the car.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:01 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by Chompin
Hey All.........I went by the Honda dealer to pick up a brochure for the new Accord and they just happened to have a V6 sedan 6sp. in the color I like sitting on the lot. Even though i did not have my license with me because I was out bike riding the dude still let me take it for a good spin. I will say that I'm a little older than most of you guys in here. Anyway......the car was sweet and we all know how great the 6 speed is. They do put 215/50's on the 6 sp. but I still need to drive a TSX before I make a final decision. From what I've read the Accord leans more to a pleasurable ride then good brisk handling like the TSX. I currently drive an 02 RSX-S and I just fell in love with the quiet inside the car.

GPS or no? leather? whats the sticker? look sweet man... if u want comfort and quietness. definite go with the accord. TSX is great handling car, im sure it beat that accord... but TSX is a noisy car... not quiet at all...
You know what? after i bought my tsx. 5 AT none nav..I met this guy, he got an 04, at the time wheni bought my car. 04 accord V6, brand new. Leather, Heat seat, GPS, sunroof. everything,, brand new out of door still 1000 cheaper my TSX out of door. had i known that deal, i would probably have chosen the accord at the time....
Old 09-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I have been watching this thread,.........everyone is making good points. One thing that I think should be pointed out,.........interest rates. If you do decide on a TSX,...you might be getting a better rate depending on when you are buying the car,....so the money you are shelling out on the car would be a little closer to the Accord.

When I bought my TSX a few weeks ago,........the promotion rate was 2.9% on the TSX vs the accord at 3.2 or 3.4 (in Canada). Small difference but it does help getting a lower rate. I ended up getting my TSX at 1.4%,..which is still better than anything I would have got on the Accord if they offer the same lease thing I chose through Honda Finance Canada.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...to answer your question about leather--I'm totally neutral between cloth and perforated leather, and my girlfriend actually prefers the former because she's a vegetarian (but she'd be okay with leather if I got it).
My advice would be to buy a TSX and get a new girlfriend. With the hot car you shouldn't have any trouble meeting new women. Seriously though, you should definitely buy the TSX. In addition to all the little extras that have been previously mentioned (and some not), you have an opportunity to get a much more exclusive car. The TSX is just a lot cooler than an Accord.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:56 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Why get an accord then upgrade it to handle like a TSX when you can just get the TSX? Because you can't justify the money?

Nobody hear can justify the money, we buy our cars because they are important to us. My guess is that if you are on a car enthusiast website, they are important to you too

Happiness>money
Old 09-19-2005, 02:06 PM
27_
Intermediate

From a safety standpoint I think you should care about the xenon/projector headlights, (and I mean that politely). My last cat was a 2000 Civic and the difference in lighting (city and especially highway) is night and day! I could never go back to a reflector style headlight again (for my personal vehicle). Driving my sisters 2000 Accord or a rental, it's as though I don't have the headlights on at night. Personally, I'd pay a couple of grand just for the headlights (from a safety standpoint).
Old 09-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BusyShifter
Wow, did not know Accord is going to come with all of the goodies. But this is what I am saying, if one would consider buying a $23k Accord EX-L, he or she is definetly better off buying the $25k TSX instead.

People have already posted on the forum about getting deal of couple hundred dollars over the invoice price on the 2006 TSX. And the 2006 TSX is still months away from arriving U.S..
I went to one Acura dealer in NJ, and the guy wanted $28,995 for a 2006 TSX with Navi. It sounds too high to me so I plan to go lower. My question is how low should I go ? Has the invoice price been posted.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Because Of You

What I wasn't able to figure out from my test drive or from stat sheets, though, are whether there are significant differences in handling prowess, and if so, why.

I traded in my 2001 Accord VP with a 2004 TSX when the TSX first came out in 2003.

The ride in the TSX is stiff! I am bouncing up and down in my seat all the time in the freeway. The TSX have a set of wider tires. So, speeding throught a curve is not a problem with the TSX.

My 2001 VP had a set of 15 inch tires. The tail always slided around in curve. On the other hand, the car was not stiff but it was not soft either. It had the "usual" honda feel.

The only thing I like about my Accord was the size. I could fit 5 people nicely in my car and could put as much as 2 more people in the trunk.

On the other hand, the TSX is small. Can't put squash in my TSX. Not even my bike.

Mod Edit: Comments were a little inappropriate. Fixed. --Clutch
Old 09-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Thanks once again for all the responses. This has given me a lot of food for thought. Let me try to answer things one by one:

Count Blah, I'm looking for a manual. I'm a die-hard stick fan.

jpswanberg, the fuel mileage is not actually close enough to be a wash. The four-cylinder Accord makes 26mpg city, 34mpg highway (regular gas). The TSX makes 21mpg city, 30mpg highway (premium gas). The V6 Accord is the model that gets TSX-like fuel mileage.

BusyShifter, that's a GREAT idea if I go with the TSX. I'm sure that saying "I'm also looking at a four-cylinder Accord" will help push the Acura dealer a bit lower.

Howard911, I haven't had a chance to test-drive the Accord V6 yet. With a manual transmission, you have to get leather seats (and a really tacky fake-carbon-fiber interior). And I'm assuming that it doesn't handle as well as the inline-four Accord because it's 200lbs more nose-heavy. But I'm going to give it a shot in person before I buy.

Gibson6594, why am I looking at upgrading the handling of the i4 Accord when I could just get a TSX? Well, a $3000 difference in sticker price and 20% lower gas costs for city driving is nothing to sneeze at. And my girlfriend and I are adopting a dog (a big one), so a roomy back seat is a plus. *IF* I could make the Accord handle nearly as well as the TSX, it would be a better car for me. But I want to make sure I don't get stuck with something boring like the Camry my mother used to drive.

27_, I know xenons are supposed to be better at night, but if I get the Accord I'm getting fog lights installed. So that should help a lot.

----------------------------

Anyway, I'm not likely to decide this question for a while yet. I like the sportiness of the TSX, but I'm also going to have to spend a lot of time in rush hour traffic, so maybe the coddling nature of the Accord would also be nice. That's something I need to toss back and forth in my head for a while. And if I end up moving to Bend, OR instead of Portland, OR next year (I'm applying for jobs in both places), I'm definitely getting the Accord because there's no Acura dealer in Bend.

But I really appreciate all of the thoughtful responses. It's given me a lot of food for thought.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Safety Car

[QUOTE=bz268]

The only thing I like about my Accord was the size. I could fit 5 Mexican nicely in my car and could put as much as 2 more Mexican in the trunk.

QUOTE]

Wow, not sure if some of the members here would appreciate that comment.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:43 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
One point, don't base anything on that 21/30 mpg for the TSX. I didn't catch whether you were looking at the 6M or the 5AT, but on my 5AT I have NEVER dipped below 23 city, and on the highway I generally get around 33, at 80mph, windows usually down. So you could probably hit 36 at 70 with the windows up.

And I'm a 23 y/o male, so while I don't drive very aggressively, I don't sit around either. My redline is not a stranger.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes