2005 TSX w/Navi - is functional navi req'd to run AC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 02:23 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 TSX w/Navi - is functional navi req'd to run AC?

Hello:

I do not have access to the electrical circuit so I thought I'd ask the forum: "In my 2005 TSX with Navigation, is a functioning navigation required in order to be able to have working, cold A/C?"

Thanks for helping me solve this problem. I cannot get a straight answer from any of the Acura dealership mechanics, nor have I found anything helpful online.

The last mechanic that tried to solve my problem told me that everything tested fine independently, but that the AC compressor was not activating. He thought it might be due to my navigation not working (it's completely dead as I removed the broken dvd unit from the trunk).

Thanks for your input.
JD
Old 06-25-2017, 10:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,165 Likes on 876 Posts
The nav should not affect AC function. Hit "auto" and select a temp.

You won't be able to manipulate fan speed or vent position or other manual functions.

But the compressor should turn on.
The following users liked this post:
Midwest TSX (06-27-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 04:34 PM
robstltype-s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think with the navi all ac controls are through the screen no? I would try using the voice recognition to say fan speed 1-5 and turn on ac.
Midwest TSX (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 04:14 PM
5th Gear

Thank you robs and BRO, I just saw these by loggin in (did not receive any notifications). As to the voice activation feature, it never did work. But like BRO says, I do have access to the manual buttons like auto, etc. and i can dial the temp up and down. My problem is that it just blows hot. So because the mechanic said that everything tested fine independently, there is a problem with the compressor not turning on and I do not want to spend $$ to repair the navi since the car has 225k miles (bought it used at 212k 4 years ago). AC has always been cold prior to this. Maybe it's the clutch gap. But I'm hesitant to spend more money (outside the navi) without knowing if a functional navi is a must to activate the compressor. I have a feeling that it's not needed but cannot get anyone to confirm this for me, not even the several acura dealerships that i've called. Thanks guys.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a part called Power Transistor (#9) in diagram. It's located by the firewall under the glovebox. It's basically a heatsink. In my 04, the A/C would only blow warm and by process of elimination we figured this part was faulty. Everything else checked out: refrigerant charge, compressor clutch engagement, etc. It's somewhat easy to change but I don't know how you would test it to make sure it was faulty. Auto parts stores carry it. The p/n is 79330-SDA-A01.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 TSX w/Navi - is functional navi req'd to run AC?-ac-diagram.gif  
Midwest TSX (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 12:49 PM
5th Gear

Guanaco, thank you very much for that. Will definitely look into it when I have time, and when I finally get it resolved I'll post back here and let everyone know what the deal was.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:53 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i swapped a navi from a 2006 tsx into my 06 tsx.

the ac controls still work on the sides and the bottom below the screen. I hope this helps!
Old 07-13-2017, 04:20 PM
5th Gear

vthree, are you saying that you were able to get the a/c button on the bottom right of the screen to work between swaps?
Old 07-13-2017, 04:20 PM
5th Gear

I replaced the power transistor yesterday. Unfortunately, it did not solve my problem. Thanks for the tip, regardless. I'll keep at it.