2004 TSX Serpertine Belt Tension Pointer

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 TSX Serpertine Belt Tension Pointer

I have a 2004 TSX Automatic with 48,000 easy miles.
I expect to be having the Serpentine Belt and maybe the Idler Pulley replaced this week.
I just found out about the pointer indicator that shows if the tension is proper.
With the engine off, it's right at the edge of the range. At idle, it's just a bit out of range and partially into the square.
Is this a major problem or is it just starting to be a problem?
Should I be replacing the whole tensioner?
Would you replace the water pump while doing the belt?
Thanks!
Pointer with engine off
Pointer at idle
Attached Thumbnails 2004 TSX Serpertine Belt Tension Pointer-rsz2_idle_sam_1494.jpg   2004 TSX Serpertine Belt Tension Pointer-rsz_engineoff_sam_1491.jpg  
Old 06-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Intermediate

I found this info and picture somewhere else. Someone said of this picture that the arrow should be pointing to the middle of the 2 squares.
I am not sure what that means. Should the raised metal pointer be in the middle of the square and the rectangle (where I have drawn the red arrow)?

Old 06-17-2017, 06:13 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
See attached from shop manual. Arrow out of range means belt is worn and tension may not be adequate. Tensioner spring is probably fine, however idler bearing may be worn. It is possible to replace idler only.

good luck
Attached Files
Old 06-17-2017, 06:28 PM
Intermediate

Aww. Thanks Tex. That's great! I was reading it wrong. Mine is exactly in the right place with the engine off and slightly off when idling. Do you know if it is supposed to be checked with the engine on or off?