AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TSX (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/)
-   -   2004 tsx battery not charging (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/2004-tsx-battery-not-charging-961912/)

Khai Huynh 08-26-2017 07:16 PM

2004 tsx battery not charging

Just replaced the alternator. Car would start and run just fine with a fully charged battery, but dies after about 15 -20 mins because the battery wasn't being charged. Pull the alternator and have it checked at autozone and they said it was good.

Charged the battery full and the car starts and run just fine. Just as I unplugged the battery, the engine dies right away, so that means the alternator is not providing any powers at all. Checked all cables and fuses looks good.

Replaced the under the hood fuse box, still having the same problem of no powers coming from the alternator.
I don't know what else to replace, beside the damn car now :(
This Honda fan boy is beginning to lose faith in Honda...

thoiboi 08-26-2017 07:23 PM

Could still be a bad alternator. A DOA alternator is not unheard of

Khai Huynh 08-26-2017 07:29 PM

Ya I took it back to autozone and have them hook up to their machine and it checks put good.

thoiboi 08-26-2017 07:45 PM

I've had their crappy machines pass bad alternators and batteries so I don't put much faith in them. Get a new one

NBP04TL4ME 08-26-2017 07:59 PM

I agree with thoiboi. It was many years ago, but had an alternator issue and parts store bench tested it twice and told me it was still good. Finally replaced it and problem solved.

Khai Huynh 08-26-2017 09:31 PM

Bought the alternator from autozone, a remanufactured one, will bring it back and trade for a new one.

npolite 09-13-2017 04:42 PM

Dont' trust the machines. If you want to be certain on the alternator, get an Ohm meter and see what your voltage goes to when you start your car. Then test with a load such as turning lights on and heater etc.

Eric the car guy has a great video on this.

I had a starter that was shot, tested it with a batter and it would run but I never seen a good working starter. Go to Autozone to get it tested and it passed. I was certain this was the issue. Replaced the started and the car runs fine now.

Khai Huynh 09-13-2017 04:58 PM

Exchanged the remanufactured alternator for a new one, didn't fix the problem. I check with my multimeter with engine off shows 12.6v. With engine running it's shows 12.3v to 12.4v. So the alternator is not charging the battery at all. Replaced the fuse box, nothing changes.

Also just found a sensor that is broken. Its located just to the right of the fuel rail on the top right of the head. Not sure what that sensor is. Hopefully replacing that sensor will cure the not charging issue.

I may just have to take the car in for a diagnostic. Or trade in this pos. I have a 2002 honda CRV with the motor from the same family as this with over 200k miles, zero problems so far.

thoiboi 09-13-2017 05:16 PM

How's your accessory belt and pulleys condition.. it definitely doesn't sound like your alternator is working at all

Khai Huynh 09-13-2017 05:27 PM

Belt and pulleys are in good condition.

thoiboi 09-13-2017 05:28 PM

How are all your grounds

Khai Huynh 10-11-2017 06:53 PM

Finally took the car into a honda dealership to have an electrical diagnosis. And just as I was expecting, they said the alternator is no good.

what a waste of time and $150 for diagnostic.
I even pulled the alternator out and have Autozone and Oreillys checked it and they both confirmed it was good.
so who do I trust?
honda dealer wants $650 to swap in their own alternator.
the one I bought from autozone was $180 and it takes me no more than 15 mins to do it myself, I've done it about 8 times now...

I freaking hate dealershits... and I beginning to hate hondas...

Cory Silcox 05-05-2019 12:48 AM

Definitely my alternator

Originally Posted by Khai Huynh (Post 16084408)
Just replaced the alternator. Car would start and run just fine with a fully charged battery, but dies after about 15 -20 mins because the battery wasn't being charged. Pull the alternator and have it checked at autozone and they said it was good.

Charged the battery full and the car starts and run just fine. Just as I unplugged the battery, the engine dies right away, so that means the alternator is not providing any powers at all. Checked all cables and fuses looks good.

Replaced the under the hood fuse box, still having the same problem of no powers coming from the alternator.

My bat bat light came on the after driving roughly about 10 miles I start to lose power. My buddy bring me a fully charged battery and it also died in the same way. So changing alternator tomorrow.

Db8alex 02-04-2022 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Khai Huynh (Post 16084408)

any up date on this ?

thoiboi 02-04-2022 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Db8alex (Post 16793815)
any up date on this ?

Did you read the thread? replace the alternator :spanky: