1st gen tsx or 3rd gen tl???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1st gen tsx or 3rd gen tl???

ok guys so i'm really close to purchasing my first TL, however i'd like a bit of advice from some of you.
I'm a 19 year old college student, I currently drive a 96 integra manual transmission. However I will be looking to replace it in the next coupe of months or so. I love the 3rd gen TL, I've driven a 6spd MT and fell in love with the amount of power and comfort it has.
But I was also thinking if i should get a manual tsx instead. Never driven one but i've heard they're quite nice.
Could anyone let me know how the handling is in both vehicles? It's been a while since i've driven the TL.
My integra seems to rip through the twistys pretty nicely, I know it's no BMW, but its EXCELLENT!!
I'm not the teenager who wants a car to customize with every mod in the world, I keep my cars bone stock and 100% clean. I'm leaning towards the TL because of size and styling and power. I know the TSX is a little slower, but will have similar mpg to my integra.
Any suggestions or advice?
BTW: I'm a manual type of guy so what ever car I go with will HAVE TO BE a stick.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Hello, Koffin!

I actually read your post in the 3G section awhile ago. I actually love BOTH cars. I'm not a power whore (don't get me wrong the TL/TL-S in 6spd are VERY appealing), but I do like the TSX. You're definitely in the right section to ask questions. I'm actually looking at both cars. I'm actually aiming for a 2G TSX ('12 TSX-SE 6spd) for the fact that I love the styling, same power and for the fact that looking for a 1G or 2G TSX with a manual is very hard. Some have too many miles for the price or just too far away for me to travel.

Now what I've seen the big difference with the TL/TSX is the clutch. I hear the TL's clutch is pretty abrupt and you'll get jerkiness b/w shifts (read it a lot on here) and that the TSX's clutch is pretty forgiving/easy. Don't forget your GM Syncromesh too, makes the shift action smoother and no 3rd gear popout (NJ2PA2NC has OE MT fluid which is fantastic. Maybe she just drives a MT better). It's actually rated pretty good in reviews. One member that always sticks out to me with a 1G TSX is NJ2PA2NC. She's amazing!!! Her car has been UBER-RELIABLE and has almost 130K miles on the original clutch and brakes. Besides what I already know about Acura, her details to her car, which is an 06 Milano Red TSX (looks really good too!) also helped influence my goal to reach for a new TSX. I've been waiting patiently for one. I joined months ago in search of a '11 6spd Tech. Never found one. So TSX-SE it is for me, hopefully. I've owned a Honda before when I was teen but it was an auto.

You already drive an Integra so you're already familiar with Honda. My recommendation is to critical analyze your needs/wants. Remember both cars use premium, TSX gets better gas mileage, but I've seen some TL members with a 6spd net mpg's almost as good if not the same as the TSX. Depends on your driving style. Also check with your insurance company to for rates. Both are easy to mainain and reliable (once again you have an Integra). Test drive both, compare sale prices, compare MPGs, compare size, etc. I'd definitely go for a test drive just to see which ride I'd like better, which the TSX is sportier.

But if you find a TL-S with a 6spd........and you can afford it... HUMP THAT CAR AN BUY IT!

EDIT: I re-read your post again an seen that you've already driven TL 6spd. How'd you like it? Now test drive a 6spd TSX if you can find one. Compare both. It's pretty much down to how "you'll drive the car and which ride you like more."

P.S. I know this is going to sound shallow, but I've always wanted a car with factory HIDs. Might of fact I've seen 1G and 2G TSX's and I love their projector setup. Light is always in the right spots and they're very bright, but not blinding. I've seen 3G TL's too which are also nice, but I'm pretty sure the TSX's are better, but not by a wide margin or anything. I'm sure the age of the bulbs plays a factor big time for the TL. Now the 4G...also bright, but man the TSX's lights...

Last edited by Acura_Dude; 10-30-2011 at 07:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nj2pa2nc (10-31-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
You asked specifically about handling in the TSX vs. the TL.

That's the main area where the TSX beats the TL hands down...and is one of the reasons why Car & Driver awarded the first generation TSX as one of the "10 Best Cars - (LINK)" three years in a row. The TL was never even nominated. (And no other Acura has won the award since.)

Since you like your Integra, read the link to the award...it mentions that the 1G TSX expanded on what made the Integra's performance and handling fantastic, while adding a great deal more.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 10-30-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
If you value the power over the handling, well the TSX just isn't going to keep up. But if you are really after handling, I think the TSX is pretty decent stock. However, having replaced the tires on mine, there is a handling difference (but I knew that going in). So if you are buying a 1 Gen TSX, you may want to reserve some cash for the tires you want. Also, an A-spec suspension upgrade is not all that bad (~$600 in parts), it's "Honda" so its a "stock" upgrade (so to speak). A-spec plus the right tires and you may not miss that Integra so much.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my 1G TSX -- I'm on my second one. I think you will find it handles better than a TL. The TL is front-heavy due to the big engine, so it tends to plow through curves. On the other hand, it goes a lot faster in a straight line, so it kinda depends on which feature you like best.
The 1G TSX has hydraulic steering -- much better feedback through the wheel. The reviews I've seen of the 2G Acuras all mention the steering as one of the weak points. Talk about turning a strength into a weakness! The 1G TSX's steering is the best feature of the car, in my opinion.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:06 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course the TL-S is going to have more power, but it is also going to run you more $$$. I just bought a 1st gen TSX and I love it. I too had an Integra GSR as my last 8 cars and it pales in comparison. My in-laws have a 1st gen TSX 5AT and it was nice. I tested a stock 6MT and I needed the manual transmission. I ended up getting a mildly (in my opinion) modified 1st gen (intake, reflash, short shifter, springs, shocks & sway bar). It kicks the Integras ass in all aspects (power, handling, luxury, mpg). The Hondata reflash adds the best bang for your buck and is completely smog-able. The rear sway bar makes handling nice and stiff. Also, I get 28mpg on average (between driving like a granny on the hwy and ripping thru turns in the city). I can get over 32mpg if it's mostly hwy driving.
I've never driven the TL-S but if price is a concern of yours, you won't be disapointed with a TSX.